PDA

View Full Version : Ever screwed someones else hunt up???

Sitkaspruce
10-11-2008, 02:46 PM
So with a few post on here of others driving by, walking up to or walking through the area you are hunting and possibly ruining your hunt, I thought I would ask if you have ever accidently (or purposly:p) walked in on someone else and possiibly ruined their hunt?

I have now done it twice.

This morning I got up around 7 and decided to take the lab for a walk. Near our house is a cut block witha good walking trail leading through it. I use it to keep an eye on the 6 does that hang around in it. So as we reach the end of the trail and onto the block rd, I notice movement and see a couple deer out feeding. Well thay see the dog and me and quickly disappear into the timber. About a minute later I see a guy stand up near a stump and walk out onto the road, along with his 4 yo kid. They wave, I wave back and call the dog. He shrugs and then starts heading back towards his vehicle. I thought to my self...Damn, I know it is close to town, but I did not think that someone else might be hunting this block and I should have gone to the big clearing instead. I will now keep that in mind...

The first time was a few years ago, we were working just north FSJ when we caught up with this van out driving at about noon or so. It was doing about 40 k on the road and would not let us pass, we followed it for about 5 k, with me flashing our lights. Suddenly, the van slows, and pulls over in a pull out, I go to pass and the drivers door opens causing me to slow even more and swerve, as I pass I give him a dirty look and glare at him. I put my foor into it and look up to see this great big bull moose standing just off the side of the road, just looking at us....ah crap!!!!! Before I could slow down or back off, we were almost beside it and it was running hell bent for the timber, I gunned it and got out of there, feeling like crap, but hey sh*t happens. So on our way back, we run into the two older guys in the van. I stop and say sorry for what happened as I had no idea there was a moose there. They both laugh and say that sh*t happens, one guy says that it is the only bull they have seen all week and the second guy says that it was too big and his partner would have missed it anyways:razz:. Well we had a good laugh.

I felt bad for what had happened so I showed them were I knew of a tree stand that was between a swamp and cut block and the moose use it to move from their bedding are to the feeding area, along with a couple of blocks where I had seen moose in the past. We said our good buys, whished them luck and headed home. The next day they swung by the office to thank me, as they shot a nice 5-6 pt bull that night from the tree stand, which one guy said was better eating then the other big one and it only took his partner two shots to kill the bull.

After that they always stopped by to see me when ever they got a draw, and ask if the tree stand was still there. They were always joking and had a great out look on life. I only hope I can have the same sense of humour when someone accidently ruins a chance at an animal. I learned a lot from those two in the short time we talked.

Cheers

SS

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I would say that I have ruined about around 40 hunts for others in my hunting carrier,just by being there before them ,you see the early bird most of the time gets the worm ,LOL http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

moosinaround
10-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Had a morning elk hunt ruined this year. It was the closest I have ever had a bull called in by myself. Another hunter come in from a different seismic thinking two bulls were going at it. The bull I was working got their wind and bailed!! Oh well what can you do. If it was easy it would be called shopping not hunting!! Moosin:smile:

Buckmeister
10-11-2008, 05:01 PM
While elk hunting last week, it was first light and I was sitting on the edge of a field we had permission to hunt on. This field was a highway for elk so I was sure I would see some. I heard some cow elk chirps off to my left just over a rise. I quietly headed that direction to get a look. I saw two dark shapes so I looked thru my binos only to see another pair of binos looking back at me. I waved but the other two hunters didn't wave back. The chirps I heard was their game calls. Oh well, at least I knew the elk wer'nt on that side of the field.:smile:

huntergirl270
10-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Good post ! I like how you told the guys about the tree stand. Its all about the Karma :smile:
Sherry