PDA

View Full Version : Bullwinkle returns

abbyfireguy
10-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Got home yesterday from 6-01,hunting south-east of Knewstubb Lake(sp).
Colder weather and breezy conditions greeted us last Saturday afternoon ,but that was good as it got the moose up and moving a bit.
Scouted the area saturday afternoon and early evening.
Sunday morning up in the dark for a quick porridge(yuk) and off to hunt.
Travelling through active logging to our hunting area for the day was interesting to say the least.
Poked around a bit and checked for sign.
Around 8:15 my 16 year old whispered " Moose", followed by "Relax Dad its only a cow". Being the typical Dad, I don't like my son telling me to relax,so, I chambered a round and stood silently waiting to see what popped up..After a frenzy to dig out the camera without dropping it in the dirt, my son again whispered "Dad,there's a bigger one,and it has antlers" (kids are funny when they are excited).
Waiting to see this mystery beast show himself, he finally walked out of the 8 foot pines and across an old access road up into a clearcut with nice short sparse trees. After having a good look at the bull(he also was giving us the eyeball for moving in on his woman:razz:), one shot through the lungs and heart did him in.
Now the fun began.
I had my 16 year old and a friend who has never hunted with my,so my sheperding job was constant but managable.Didn't want either of them to get into trouble.
After a bit of work here are the results of our efforts.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P1010020a.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P1010036a.JPG

FLHTCUI
10-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Looks like a good time was had by all.
You know what they say...take a kid hunting and youll not have to worry about your kid robbing little old ladies on the street...
Well something to that extent.
Mmmm Mooses ...10000 Wolves cantbe wrong, now can they?
Rob

Vansmasher
10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
nice job and nice bull!!

10-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Kiddy - up Abbyfireguy, congrats to you and the green horns, nice to have them young bucks with you for some braun for us aging hunters.
looks like a nice med. sized bull, a good eater.
Can't wait for Nov. 1st, were off to moosin around our selves.
C/T

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Congratulations on getting a bull moose.

Tikka7mm
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
That should put some meat in the freezer....good job!

Big7
10-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Nice bull for that area - good work!

Jelvis
10-11-2008, 04:35 PM
That is a great story and I applaud you for your family values. You obviously are a great dad. You fellas look happy out there in the mountains hunting moose together.
Nice big bull and thanks for the story and pictures.
Jel-abby your all right.

rocksteady
10-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Nice bull.....Perfect shot by the looks of the picture...Congrats