PDA

View Full Version : Opening Morning 2008

Crazy_Farmer
10-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Well lets see those opening weekend pictures again. :-D There wasn't much sleep last night and were ready again way too early but sat and waited. Early on a lot of teal decoyed but we gave them the pass. Just as shooting hour started about 4 different flocks all over 50 mallard in each started to work the spread. The shooting was fast and furious and we had our 3 man limit of mallards by 7:30. A great start to the season. Smiles all round...well sortof. :mrgreen:

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/opener_800x600.jpg

Dirty
10-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Good job for an opening morning limit! I woke up early this morning and I could hear somebody lettin' rip in the farmlands. I have everything prepped: cleaned calls, new lanyard, flats of shells purchased, and decoys in order. Pics like this make me want to get out there.

Dano
10-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice bag you guys!
Dan and I limited out on mallards today too, 12 drakes and 4 hens. It was singles all morning, just 2 pairs came in. We did have a couple small flights of widgeon and pintail land in the decoys but there seems to be enough mallards around to pick your shots.
Going out tommorrow with Danny (Buck) and 'ol Dan.
Dan

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/limit08.jpg

Marc
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Well I didn't get my limit but had a mixed bag.

2 Canada Geese
2 Mallards
2 Green Wing Teal

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/opening_day_.JPG

jethro
10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Looks like the new boat worked out for ya Marc. Were you hunting out by Widgeon Island? I heard a few shots from that direction. Nice job bagging a couple geese. I couldn't get any geese to come near enough for a shot, but I did get 4 greenwing teal, and a hen mallard. I also got 2 mergansers with one shot! I thought they were pintails in the low light. Normally I would never waste ammo on those fish-eating buggers.

longshot
10-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Well I didn't get my limit but had a mixed bag.

2 Canada Geese
2 Mallards
2 Green Wing Teal

Very cool boat marc. if i see you out there, i will have to focus on the birds and stop staring at your boat. :D

longshot
10-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Can you say...RUSTY SHOOTING!!! My son and I got out this morning for a duck hunt. We got there early, set up all our decoys, and had our hot chocolate. By shooting time, we had TONS of ducks flying around us and came into the 15 yard range. The guns wen't up, several times and didn't even scratch a bird. It seemed like the closer they came, the more we missed :sad:....so we started shooting at the 25 yard range and started hitting them. So we ended up with a goose (ya... the 14 year old gets it), drake mallard, hen pintail, and a hen teal. Hopefully tomorrow the ducks ask us same question and we give them a better answer. :smile:

longshot

huntwriter
10-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Up here waterfowl is open for a while now. This is my bag of the second waterfowl hunt this season. Didn’t get any mallards as I had hoped. They a re very spooky, Green-winged teals and pintails are a different story as they land regularly in the decoys. I am still hoping to me a few mallards.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/othmar_duck.jpg

huntwriter
10-11-2008, 09:58 PM
That new boat looks good Marc. Which reminds me I maybe should camouflage mien better too. How is your puppy doing on a real hunt after all the hard work you put into to him? What shotgun is that in the picture? Looks good.

longshot
10-11-2008, 10:01 PM
:?: Can anyone help me on getting pics onto the posts I just can't figure it out.
Thanks!

Tanya
10-12-2008, 05:13 AM
We hunted here at home and ended up with 4 geese. The blasting at The Bay had them wary. We're gonna try again this morning - gotta fly off to the barn to get done in time........

Marc
10-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Looks like the new boat worked out for ya Marc. Were you hunting out by Widgeon Island? I heard a few shots from that direction. Nice job bagging a couple geese. I couldn't get any geese to come near enough for a shot, but I did get 4 greenwing teal, and a hen mallard. I also got 2 mergansers with one shot! I thought they were pintails in the low light. Normally I would never waste ammo on those fish-eating buggers.

I was pretty close to you (600 yards?)if it was you hunting behind the mill. You probably heard me push all the geese out first thing as I was coming in with the boat. I was driving a white truck and slowed down when I saw a truck pull over. I also saw a tracker with some hunters I'm assuming at that time of the day. Might have been longshot and company?

Marc
10-12-2008, 08:36 AM
That new boat looks good Marc. Which reminds me I maybe should camouflage mien better too. How is your puppy doing on a real hunt after all the hard work you put into to him? What shotgun is that in the picture? Looks good.

You like that eh? :mrgreen:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/FatboyDB_grassed_up.JPG

If you're hunting out of the boat I would definitely cover it up. If you find the mallards are staying away from you but other ducks are still coming in then you're probably not hidden well enough. Movement is what gives you away every time.

Marshall did pretty good for his first day. He was hesitant on his first goose but after checking it out and seeing me pick it up he was good to go for the second one. He got better as the day progressed and he saw how it worked.

The one bad thing I can say about CKC hunt test is the gunner is also the thrower for the birds which would never happen in a hunting situation. I had to call Marshall off twice because he wanted to retrieve from the sound of a distant gun.

The shotgun I was using was a gift I bought myself after retiring from the armed forces. It's a Remington 11-87 XCS (Extreme Condition Shotgun) in 12 gauge ultimag. It worked flawlessly through out the day and I was quite pleased with it especially when the geese folded up.

shotgunjohn
10-13-2008, 07:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/openingday002.jpg

Well we had fun , but I'd have to say the geese mostly won this round.
We didn't see any ducks at all. They must all be over in the Fraser Valley.

longshot
10-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I was pretty close to you (600 yards?)if it was you hunting behind the mill. You probably heard me push all the geese out first thing as I was coming in with the boat. I was driving a white truck and slowed down when I saw a truck pull over. I also saw a tracker with some hunters I'm assuming at that time of the day. Might have been longshot and company?

Actually My dad and i were hunting up by naniamo both days, haven't even bin down to the bay yet....only in blackberry season. mmm :biggrin:

Longshot JR.