PDA

View Full Version : Need a little guidance

sparky300winmag
10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in a position that i need a little help,as i do not have the time to scout the Loon lake area and i've never hunted that area.I'm taking my two boys up that way for their hunting trip .A very good friends grandson has a moose draw in the Loon lake area he's 17yrs old.If i could just get some kinda of indication as where to take them for even a small buck.I'm going to get them to buy a moose tag too , just in case we happen across an immature,and if we see something larger we"ll contact my friend , hopefully he can fill his LEH. I'm a bit hesitant in asking , cause i know some of you get bent out of shape when anyone other than a youth asks for help.Never the less ,i'm asking.Thanks in advance.

10-10-2008, 08:25 PM
The Loon Lake area up to the higher plateau (near Hihium Lake) has a number of small swamps and meadows which are often a short walk into off main Roads. These areas are good holding spots for Moose. You should be there right now really because the rut is nearing it's end. After the rut the bulls tend to not move around much making your hunt that much tougher. Later the bulls will be up again to build up the fat stores they lost during the rut. If it's an Oct. draw go now, or as late as you can. If it's a cow/calf draw your odds are better. Personally I would contact the local C/O for that area tjhe tag is good for, explain you have a new youth hunter with a draw and he may be willing to help you more. At the very least get some topo maps that show the swamp or low lying areas, this is where most the feed is, combine that with a FSR map to help you navigate the area. Depending what zone the leh is for, you may have some luck. Deer can be found throughout the region, to maximize your odds there go before 4pt. season. when any buck is open.
Good luck to you and the new hunters! Take a grouse gun for some extra fun.

C/T

sparky300winmag
10-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the reply " Curly Top" .I did download some Goolgle Earth pics and as a matter of fact there is going to be 5 youth hunters and 3 adults, it should be interesting and fun.I hope there is as many grouse up there as there was in princeton( Sept.1 when grouse was closed Geez ,they gota change that) for my sons to use the .410.Good Hunting to you!

In4TheHunt
10-11-2008, 08:52 AM
The Loon Lake area up to the higher plateau (near Hihium Lake) has a number of small swamps and meadows which are often a short walk into off main Roads. These areas are good holding spots for Moose. You should be there right now really because the rut is nearing it's end. After the rut the bulls tend to not move around much making your hunt that much tougher. Later the bulls will be up again to build up the fat stores they lost during the rut. If it's an Oct. draw go now, or as late as you can. If it's a cow/calf draw your odds are better. Personally I would contact the local C/O for that area tjhe tag is good for, explain you have a new youth hunter with a draw and he may be willing to help you more. At the very least get some topo maps that show the swamp or low lying areas, this is where most the feed is, combine that with a FSR map to help you navigate the area. Depending what zone the leh is for, you may have some luck. Deer can be found throughout the region, to maximize your odds there go before 4pt. season. when any buck is open.
Good luck to you and the new hunters! Take a grouse gun for some extra fun.

C/T

Good on you for helping out.

alot of the time that is all the guidance needed.

cheers

Steeleco
10-12-2008, 03:36 AM
I've only hunted the area twice, but the hills above Loon lake south of the Bonaparte river hold lots of animals too. Watched 13 does walk a trail one time, all of the BIG! Good look to the gang.