PDA

View Full Version : Kwatna Bay fall grizzly LEH

srupp
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
So with my "alleged" moose now in the freezer...tried some last nite exellent,..its time to get ready for the next hunt...I have one pile of gear getting cleaned and away..while a new pile is going together for K bay.

I hope I havnt left it too long and the bears have split for the hills and heddisarum plants(kills the bugs in their digestive tracts...the root bulbs)and some are still on the river...I left it as long as I could to allow these coastal bears to get the best hide possible...and some extra size....

A very kind member has LOANED me his jet boat for this trip..THANKS JOSEPH...and Phil has agreed to come along and tape and take photos and bring along his 300 in case things go south...:eek:..its difficult to find someone to give up a 2 week holiday to help soemone else get a bear with no chance of any other hunting getting done..nothing in it for Phil...THATS FRIENDS!!!Thanks Phil...

The boat is not all that big for 40 miles of ocean travel one way..and will require us to sleep on it at nite...actually the boat trip is my only concern its winter high winds and a long trip...

The bears this time of year are after salmon to put on enough weight to survive the hibernation and for the females they need to put enough weight on to allow the "delayed implantation " of her pregnancy to occur...not enough grubb and the pregnancy terminates automatically..

This time of year will see most of the trees shrubs having lost their leaves..cold winds and stinky air currents from dying and decaying salmon carcasses.

My "goal" is a decent male bear over 8 ' with a full coastal hide inn good shape..chocolate brown...sweet would be a monster brown...but we will do the best we can... we have 2 weeks in the bay..an no fishing gear or crabbing gear..just essentials needed for bear hunting...and good video and camera equipment to document the trip.

This WILL be the test of the new Sako.338 Win Mag shooting Barnes TSX in 225 grain solid copper...I am also bringing my guide backup weapon..12 gauge shooting SOLID lead 1 1/4 oz each..magnum loads..

So we will be leaving the pond for the coast morning of the 14th..for those of you that I still have promised info on areas or maps...Susan has them...

So one more day of cleaning...sharpening knifes...and final packing and Phil will be here...so once agin its off to those thar hills or ocean in this case...report back when we get back....

cheers

Steven :mrgreen:

MattB
10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Good luck Steve!

bsa30-06
10-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Lookin forward to your pictures.good Luck.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Okay Steve...do you remember what you(we) learned from your last trip??

Got BCAA??

Got a floation device for your optics and camera??:-(

Got a grunt to do your skinning for you??

Got your "SPOT"???:biggrin:

Best of luck!

Looking forward to your report!!!

Be safe!

SSS

5 spike
10-10-2008, 05:46 PM
wish you the best of luck steve, cant wait for the story and pics.

Springer
10-10-2008, 06:59 PM
What the heck I was sure you said there was a Hilton at Kwatna Bay,Oh well guess we can rough it for once. Couple more days of work then a turkey dinner ,a few hours of sleep and I'm off Steve.
Should i bring raingear,cause I'm sure its white sandy beaches there and lots of sun right?
See ya soon Bro.

srupp
10-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Guys..:oops:..

and to SSS

bcaa...CHECK

5 year warranty STILL in place.... check

Hmmm yup Phil is gonna learn how to skin...check

Got spot..and 5 individuals monitoring it 2 x each day..check

Got 2 seperate individuals in Bella Coola WITH boats in case...well in case...check

This is much more "dicey" as these big bears are desperate for food and the fish runs have been very slim...they sense and know their very lives..existence depends on eating enough..so there should be a dozen or so VERY HUNGRY coastal brown bear/grizzlies searching for grub....yes SSS very good advice "be careful be very very careful".....

errrr Phil as long as its NOT a plastic $1.99 kids rain poncho in brilliant neon orange Im fine with that....

cheers

Steven

Big Daddy Ryan
10-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow sounds like it should be an interesting trip to say the least. Best of luck, looking forward to the pics and story.

Caveman
10-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey Good Luck Phil!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, good Luck to you Steven :razz:

Hope you find one at least as nice a the last time you were in there

elkdom
10-10-2008, 08:31 PM
OK lets add this up! First a short PRAYER! mmhum uh mmm ahh,,,, 'amen!' now the facts, 40 miles of ocean travel ! = Risky!. next, you are seeking out a HUGE hungry bear that is eating as much salmon as he can swallow, you also eat a lot of salmon (your previous posts as evidence) = Risky! next,you are packing several guns and knives, this tires one out quickly, not good to be tired and smelling like a salmon in grizzly country late in the fall = Risky! next, and most important of all, can you OUTRUN your back up man?? if not ??? = Risky! Oh well it seems you have all the bases covered! have a great time! and a safe journey! and remember Antlerless elk LEH soon ! lol ps: how about salt? for your GRIZZ hide?

BCrams
10-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Looking forward to the stories when you return.

The Dawg
10-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Good luck and stay safe Steven.

Hopefully you hammer a bigger one than the last trip, you deserve it!

Springer
10-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey Greg thanks,should be a "GREAT ADVENTURE" and for me thats what the hunt is all about. The scenery should be a tad different in a few days,there is still grain dust in the air around home and the trees have lost half their leaves,soon it will be changing to the mountains through Jasper down and across into the Cariboo then off the Lush West Coast. I have never been to Bella Coola and that in itself will be a thrill for me. The Boat ride will definitely have me hurling over the edge at some point.

I trust Steve ,he's letting me carry the cans of sardines etc.

A little off topic but what is happening with Diesel in BC ?? I know Alberta is running out right now. I am hoping to kick back in Steves King Ranch and drop off the Chevy at his house ?? part of the adventure maybe?

Its pretty cool that Joe has lent us his Boat,not bad for a a fellow Albertan ;)
He's out on a Goose shoot right now and probably having the time of his life with that. Joe If Steve does his swan dive into the boat I'll try to capture it for you this time on tape !!

$1.99 for a Poncho !!! Their that expensive now hey.

Cheers

Flingin' Sticks
10-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Never been down to bella coole eh?

Steve, make sure he drives down the hill, would ya?

wlbc
10-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Best of luck Steve, be safe.

BCrams
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
This should get you guys all pumped up for your grizz trip!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVS1UfCfxlU

srupp
10-10-2008, 09:36 PM
elkdom I am EAGERLY awaiting the elk hunt up there I have 2 locations to ask you about when I return...it is THE RISKIEST type of bear hunting I know...however I am going with someone I TRUST...George was unavailable...:roll:..as for outrunning???I couldnt outrun a rock...

GREG "you vewy vewy bad man" lol...those John est comercials are outragously funny...I thought you were goingf with the CABELAS GRIZZLY attack video...YIKES...

I have lots of saftey rules.....ie NO slings on any weapons in your hands or close by ALL ALL TIMES...we will sleep in the boat...in deep water etc etc..

Flingin sticks ya the hill alone has its own pucker factor...

We will try and be as safe as possible...and lots of photos and video this time...

Im not sure about beating Tims #32 all time but it WOULD BE NICE...:biggrin:

Phil will be in for a lifetime treat...

cheers

Steven

Gateholio
10-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Good luck Steve!!

How about throwing me on your SPOT list, I'd like to check your travels..I've been there, be interesting to see what you are up to!!:cool:

gatehouse@uniserve.com

Bella Coola area sure is the Land of the Grizzlies....

Where Steve is going for the zillionith time is sure hard access. Please don't put in for a grizz LEH there unless you have some sort of access via plane or boat or you have lots of $$$$....The boat ride out there is pretty dicey, I was pretty concerned on both in and out.:eek:

Good luck, have fun!!

srupp
10-10-2008, 10:53 PM
I will ADD you to my list for THIS trip Gate....now no telling stories if the indicator STOPS at the Hagensborg Hotel and stays there for two weeks....lol

cheers

Steven

The Hermit
10-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Man I would love to do a trip like that some day! I am truly jealous! Remember, planning, preparation, and careful execution using common sense in all matters is the key to a successful, safe, and awesome trip! Good luck!

Gateholio
10-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I will ADD you to my list for THIS trip Gate....now no telling stories if the indicator STOPS at the Hagensborg Hotel and stays there for two weeks....lol

cheers

Steven

Excellent...I was able to track my budddies elk hunt overt he last few weeks..Very cool.

srupp
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Might be interesting??? to post one (1) check in Im Ok message/map from Kwatna to demo what a check in message looks like???and kwatna in RELATION to civilization...lol just an Idea..one from the tidal flat...

cheers

Steven

Mik
10-11-2008, 12:30 AM
best of luck, be safe and straight shootin'.

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Good luck srupp ,I hope you nail a dandy http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

srupp
10-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Gatehouse you are now on my "check in " list as is Phil so his family can monitor his progress....into the wild Bc wilderness and the open Pacific Ocean...:roll:

Gate...Phil..I will activate SPOT sometime today..please check that YOUR computer recieved the check in message from my house...

cheers

Steven

ps its SNOWING HERE..LOL should make the ski hilll errrr I mean the Bella Coola hill extra special going up and down..

willy442
10-11-2008, 01:53 PM
So with my "alleged" moose now in the freezer...tried some last nite exellent,..its time to get ready for the next hunt...I have one pile of gear getting cleaned and away..while a new pile is going together for K bay.

I hope I havnt left it too long and the bears have split for the hills and heddisarum plants(kills the bugs in their digestive tracts...the root bulbs)and some are still on the river...I left it as long as I could to allow these coastal bears to get the best hide possible...and some extra size....

A very kind member has LOANED me his jet boat for this trip..THANKS JOSEPH...and Phil has agreed to come along and tape and take photos and bring along his 300 in case things go south...:eek:..its difficult to find someone to give up a 2 week holiday to help soemone else get a bear with no chance of any other hunting getting done..nothing in it for Phil...THATS FRIENDS!!!Thanks Phil...

The boat is not all that big for 40 miles of ocean travel one way..and will require us to sleep on it at nite...actually the boat trip is my only concern its winter high winds and a long trip...

The bears this time of year are after salmon to put on enough weight to survive the hibernation and for the females they need to put enough weight on to allow the "delayed implantation " of her pregnancy to occur...not enough grubb and the pregnancy terminates automatically..

This time of year will see most of the trees shrubs having lost their leaves..cold winds and stinky air currents from dying and decaying salmon carcasses.

My "goal" is a decent male bear over 8 ' with a full coastal hide inn good shape..chocolate brown...sweet would be a monster brown...but we will do the best we can... we have 2 weeks in the bay..an no fishing gear or crabbing gear..just essentials needed for bear hunting...and good video and camera equipment to document the trip.

This WILL be the test of the new Sako.338 Win Mag shooting Barnes TSX in 225 grain solid copper...I am also bringing my guide backup weapon..12 gauge shooting SOLID lead 1 1/4 oz each..magnum loads..

So we will be leaving the pond for the coast morning of the 14th..for those of you that I still have promised info on areas or maps...Susan has them...

So one more day of cleaning...sharpening knifes...and final packing and Phil will be here...so once agin its off to those thar hills or ocean in this case...report back when we get back....

cheers

Steven :mrgreen:

Where do you want me to meet you. Don't worry about room in the boat, my best friend is the Staff Sargent in Bella Coola and has said I can borrow his in fact he will come along if he can swing it. Or have you backed out on your invite?:o

srupp
10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Ya Willy..that is THE thing I am most concerned about..not about the bears...they are either there or they have gone into hibernation or up eating Hs....I dont think there is enough snow for hibernation and from friends in the BC valley the snow is 4" at the top..so there "should" be some ..one at least lumbering along the river trying for that last salmon burger...

I am concerned over the ocean trip..but not the lack of generosity by Joe..and his loaning us his boat...tight sleeping arrangements for Phil and I ..not perhaps comfortable or warm but safe and "do-able" AGAIN THANKS JOE"

You MUST have a good friend in the CO...(STAFF) @ Bella Coola for him to lend you his boat....

Hmmm....... what size boat????.....:rolleyes:....

I did offer the invite.....and of course if you want to come down and come along with the staffs..boat..yes My word is my bond..and its always good..

please feel free to contact me... for information...if you are serious..

If just checking thats OK too.......so far its 50% 1 for 2 hunts hope to get the averages up on this one..to 2 out of 3....:biggrin:

These fall bear hunts are THEE most challenging due to the weather and salmon...one daay its low and clean no salmon next day it rains salmon go through and then the snows and winds come...

NO EXCUSES we will do our best to GIT ER DONE.....

cheers

Steven

Tikka7mm
10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
looking forward to some great video...good luck Steven!

Sitkaspruce
10-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Steve

Been talking to the guys at work about the area you are going to and thay have not been seeing any bears, as there is very little fish. You might have to go a little higher as the berries were not bad in some locations. Was at Doc Creek a week ago and nothing along the creeks or roads, no tracks, no scat and no sign. People have been seeing the odd young bear and a few females, but that is it. Seems most of the adult bears came down, very little fish, so they have moved back up to the slides, cutblocks and such.

Good luck, have fun, be safe and if you have a little more room on your SPOT to add me, let me know, as I can track your hunt and maybe even be in that area next week, working of course:-D.

Cheers

SS

srupp
10-11-2008, 04:27 PM
yes thats a real possibility..however these bears simply can not get enough weight gain from berries...they NEED the salmon so they usually do go up and start hitting the berries..ie up Oakbeck..and some of the side hills on the south side that have eben logged however they WILL check back because the HAVE to have that protein and weight gain..

Some of the coho have started showing up and if not the bears WILL resort to eating dead carcases from other runs..not as much nutrients and calories..but much much better than the best berry patches..

The coho run has been so far almost non existent..:eek:...and Kwatna has been renowned for great runs..

Chuckle..BCRAMS last year put some 'pressure" on me when he mentioned "after all you were at one time a bear guide" and we pulled it off...

I just have to think after 30 plus years that I know bears..no I can not shoot what isnt there however If there are bears there I think I can locate them...:tongue: and I have been in there a dozen times over the years... 100 % of the time successful in finding good bears..man is THAT ever setting me up for humble pie...:oops:

One GOOD thing is IF the salmon have not shown up the BEARS WILL STILL BE AROUND EATING..and it takes a full days work to eat enough berries to do any caloric good...the bears would also be moving more than if they had a decent run of fish...

I guess we just go and see what tricks I remember to pull out of my as$ er sleeves..

Hmmm sometimes folks that are in the area looking for other things miss some of the subtle signs thatw e are looking for..like a 1,000 pound brown object on the green tidal estuary..lol

Sitka spruce..Im not familliar with Doc Creek..where is that??

I have heard from others that the bear numbers are almost nil..hardly any seen anywhere as the runs were so bad..so your news is not new or GOOD..lol :tongue:...but If ya dont try youll never know.... hmm then Ill heaar it again "that Rupp ALL HE EVER DOES IS WHINE AND COMPLAIN AND NEVER GETS ANY ANIMALS A QUITTER..ETC ETC ETC " iM NOT a whiner or quittter..however even I realize this time its gonna be a huge huge challenge..but hey when its TOO difficult for everyone else ya bring in A ALBERTA partner..lol..

Thanks ss about the update...Id be interested in that other creek...

what will you be doing up there K bay and who do these others work for forestry ??or fisheries ??tourism..

cheers

Steven

Sitkaspruce
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Sitka spruce..Im not familliar with Doc Creek..where is that??

I have heard from others that the bear numbers are almost nil..hardly any seen anywhere as the runs were so bad..so your news is not new or GOOD..lol :tongue:...
Thanks ss about the update...Id be interested in that other creek...

what will you be doing up there K bay and who do these others work for forestry ??or fisheries ??tourism..

cheers

Steven

Yea I know it is not good news, but was not sure if you had heard or not.

Doc Creek is about half way between Namu and Kwatna. Gilderslieve Lake and Noomas River are also there. That is where I was last week. The guys whom I talk to are all from the MOF, where I work in Port McNeill. They are logging at Doc Creek, so it is a bit busy there. But it is quite at Noomas River.

Cheers

SS

srupp
10-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks SS...we have been up that way salmon fishing and hali hunting but havnt looked at the streams..

THANKS SS I do appreciate the insite..and certainly can use all the help we can get...ya dont have a 45 foot warm ocean going boat thats just a spare laying around do ya???:eek:

Foresters usually are pretty cautious as they dont want to stumble across any bear let alone a HUNGRY 1,000 pound coastal bear with a BAD attitude cuz he's hungry..

This is going to get very interesting..as coastal bears are pretty good natured WHEN FED...when hungry they can be the meanest SOB'S you can ever imagine..and will NOT think twice about shredding everything you have for just the smell of a stick of gum!!!!Ask the past guide there Terry Shendruk about his LAST TWO TENTS..I was there for the last one...devestation for a chocolat bar left by a client in a what WAS new canvas wall tent....TOAST..

I have been busy packing and coming back here to check this thred...and sending Clarke and Phil a practice report...the gear is all top notch..however will STILL be cold and damp and not pleasant sleeping..
broke back bay...ewwwww...

With this news I will have to dig a bit a whole LOT deeper..for what Mr Clayton Mack taught me over the years..as did a couple of other renowned coastal guides...hmmmm lmao... sheesh...

Thanks again SS for the update.....

cheers

Steven

Ike
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi gents,

Yes I am a newbie to this board so you can all poke fun at me for a while ;)

It has been a bit of a strange year regarding bear activity but we have definitely had no shortage of them in our little valley.

Steven I think your timing will be as good as any and the bears are still out and about here; albeit causing problems, breaking fruit trees and digging up gardens (as well as looking for salmon) here in the valley. In past years working in the bush and on salmon streams (maybe I've worked with you SitkaSpruce?) I have run into grizzlies and fresh sign well into November; in fact I was charged by a grizzly on a frosty November 13th eleven years ago.

The salmon runs around the Central Coast have been low this year but there appears to be a recent bump of coho in the Bella Coola river which may hopefully be the case in Kwatna. You might have to look harder but I expect you will find them in their regular areas, please don't make a liar out of me :)

Good luck and Cheers

Gateholio
10-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Steve, I never got a SPOT msg from you..try again?

gatehouse@uniserve.com

srupp
10-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Gate I did another practice check in @ approx 2pm...

steven:biggrin:

srupp
10-12-2008, 02:31 PM
WELCOME Ike.....Guys this gentleman is a friend of mine (do NOT hold this against him..:tongue:)and a avid outdoorsperson and has always been a source of reliable information when I have neeed it.

Welcome to the site IKE....some really great Gals and Guys with locations from everywhere and expertise in everything...I KNOW you will find this place friendly and a lot of informnitive posts..WELCOME!!

Cheers

Steven

Ike
10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the kind word Steve,

This valley is full of friendly people who are happy to help, that's why I live here.

FYI I was just at the store and heard that a '1000 lb' grizzly was shot in the townsite today. Unfortunately it was not a hunted bear but a problem bear that was causing problems in the townsite for a couple of weeks.

Normally a '1000 lb' bear shrinks after it dies to about 600 lbs ;) but this one is most likely at least 850lb from those that have seen it close, looks like I'll have to go after his big brother now :)

Cheers and have a great Thanksgiving dinner.

srupp
10-12-2008, 03:08 PM
YIKES..damn...get out there and get your LEH filled IKE...Y..IKES bear..

cheers

Steven

Springer
10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
WEll this is my last post.The Boats hooked up to the truck ,gear is loaded and my belly is full of turkey dinner that should last on my reserves for quite awhile,since we will be eating dehydated meals for awhile. Steve has my family set up with I-Spot so all i have to do is pack tomorrows lunch and Coffee get up at 5:00 and hit the road.
Wish us luck and Little rain as possible.

Skoll!!

Ike
10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Good luck boys!
Stay safe and shoot straight :)

srupp
10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
pulling out cya in a bit..

Phil

Elkhound
10-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Just got back from MU5 good luck Steven.

BigBanger
10-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Goog luck guys .

mountainman
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Be safe guys and try to bring everything back including a 1000lber!!!

mark4
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Thats great that you and willy442 are going bearhunting together lol. Mabye the staff sargent can come too-what a riot lol. Just kidding, anyways good luck on those big boys -sounds like a serious adventure full of adrenaline. We look forward to your safe return and some cool pics- no pressure lol.

Gateholio
10-15-2008, 09:31 AM
It appears Srupp has made it safely to the Bella Coola boat launch:p

Mr. Dean
10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I just read the thread. Steve is right, the boat ride that is now ahead of him, will be interesting,,, at best. Hope he's packin' some clean shorts!

These boyz will have some cold damp nights to look forward to. Good luck guy's.... and it's OK to snuggle. :tongue:

Gateholio
10-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Looks like the horrific boat ride is over and they are on dry land.

Damn, I hate that boat ride:shock:

mountainman
10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Good to hear they made it safe and sound!!
Guess I should have had Steven add me so I would know how everything was going. I threw in the heater for the boat that I use so hopefully they can stay half dry and warm without to much cuddling!!! :twisted::wink:

Leaseman
10-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Joe-
you got to remember that Steve is a "cuddler".....:redface:

BiG Boar
10-16-2008, 07:47 AM
So with my "alleged" moose now in the freezer

Still want to see pics of this alleged animal

Mr. Dean
10-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Hopefully there were no embarassing moments on that boat last night.... Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

mountainman
10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
They are back on land!! Gotta wait for their report!!!

BiG Boar
10-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Taking bets. I say they got a bear.

mountainman
10-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd take bets but I have inside info!!!

newhunterette
10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Taking bets. I say they got a bear.

sure sure - just like he got a moose

hehehehehehehe I never saw any pictures

Dirty
10-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I bet they both caught crabs. :tongue:

Rob
10-21-2008, 10:40 AM
When are they due back. I bet a hot bath and a good drink will be nice:smile:

mountainman
10-21-2008, 10:43 AM
They are in the Puddle as of yesterday, will be meeting up with Phil on Thursday.

srupp
10-21-2008, 02:16 PM
weeeeeere baaaack...:roll:..

steven :biggrin:

Leaseman
10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Nice pics Steve....

Makes the last one look like a black bear......:shock:

Dirty
10-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Pics Now Damn It

newhunterette
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
talk talk talk but where are the blasted pictures

mountainman
10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
WOW!!!!!!!! Did you see the size of that chicken!!!!!!!!!!

newhunterette
10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
ya know some people tend to get real bored without stimulation - HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we need to be stimulated

oops

I mean waiting patiently for the story :)

Leaseman
10-21-2008, 02:57 PM
That was no chicken Joe, remember the weight Steve lost... he just looks like a chicken (or turkey) now......:shock:

Jk Steve......welcome home

doubled
10-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Wondering what is worth a thousand words?????

srupp
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
LEASEMAN YOU ARE IN DEEP DEEP SHIT !!!! :tongue:lol.....

Busy..... but YES photos will be forthcoming....THIS WEEK...

However you are correct it was BIG and Black and a grizzly bear...now only the 4th BLACK grizzly I have seen...:shock::shock::shock::shock:

cheers

Steven

Brambles
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
weeeeeere baaaack...:roll:..

steven :biggrin:

My momma says if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all......

So i'm not sayin anything:cool:

newhunterette
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM

However you are correct it was BIG and Black and a grizzly bear...now only the 4th BLACK grizzly I have seen...:shock::shock::shock::shock:

cheers

Steven

sure sure Steven - we have heard that before lol

heheheh welcome back by the way

Tikka7mm
10-21-2008, 09:51 PM
waiting....?:D

Elkhound
10-21-2008, 10:29 PM
I see lots of finger typin but nothing worth reading yet:wink::tongue:

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Will somebody pull my finger.... PLEASE!

Gateholio
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I barely had time to update via SPOT updates!!8-)

Ike
10-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Time to start making stuff up....too much waiting for those of us with short attention spans ;)

Is this your bear?!
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/Inkster123/ToweringFuryGRizzly.jpg
Cheers

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I hear that there's a good movie playing in Bill's Puddle....

elkdom
10-22-2008, 11:29 AM

cheers

Steven

let srupp get his story straight!,,, once he "gots it memorized" he will tell us more! lol

Leaseman
10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
What was Joe's response to the boat damage...(or haven't you told him yet??)....:eek:

MB_Boy
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I hear that there's a good movie playing in Bill's Puddle....

Maybe in the interim we can watch another "Grizzly Tale" :confused: Hopefully this will help pass the time while we wait "impatiently".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmdqFe2URnU

MB_Boy
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
let srupp get his story straight!,,, once he "gots it memorized" he will tell us more! lol

At this point I would settle with "Bang, Flop" and some PICTURES!! :p

He can tell the story about damaging Joe's boat, catching some crabs, rainy weather, the l'il ones that he passed up, the rough seas, the inevitable problems with the "truck" (sorry SRUPP...but I had to ;)), how Phil got so scared he scrambled up a tree......all this can wait. Pic's are important and let's us as the "readers" really take some time to "get into the frame of mind" to appreciate the tale. :-?

todbartell
10-22-2008, 11:57 AM
someday Srupp will learn how to write up a good post with pictures

I will check back on this thread in 4 weeks and see the pics :)

srupp
10-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Ya..srupps such a wienie..:eek:...He cant even figure out how to get the photos:rolleyes: OFF the disc onto his computer..

sheesh I TOO am gonna wait 4 weeks for him to git off his A$$ and post ..

Elmer Fudd Ruppster

Steven:biggrin:

stroh72
10-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Good stories come to those who wait!! Maturing like a beautiful box of red wine in the sun.... For the love of god man give us something to feed on!!

PS Did you get the package wink wink

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Steven get on with it - you are really making me go back to 'SPANKIES' and I was almost banned for starting that before

Leaseman
10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Steve-
Bet you $5.00 that you cant hold off until Halloween!!!

:tongue:

Or better yet.... incorporate this story with your sturgeon story, in what, 2 weeks!!??

Sitkaspruce
10-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't you all feel like those carp in the ponds, just swimming around waiting for him to through you a little more........bread.:shock:?????

If he has such a "story" to tell, maybe is in contact with all the big hunting mags, waiting to see if the story will get him some $$$$$$$ to pay for all the stuff he bought........or he is posting on all the US sites first. Type in "Kwatna Bay" in google and you will see the bear his partner got last year (??) in a bunch of US sites. Which I do not have a problem with:tongue:, as it was a great bear.

Come on RUPP, post a pict so we can see the Black bear you shot......oh yea and the moose, since we have not seen that yet.

Swimming around and around and around.....................

Cheers

SS

Tikka7mm
10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
....still waiting.....???:roll:

MB_Boy
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I agree with Sitka.....

SRUPP....get on with it while we are still "peaceful carp"....you don't want it turning into this!!

http://bp2.blogger.com/_JtRP5wIdjrs/R1YCOeC9IQI/AAAAAAAAALY/afEfGwHzlsg/s320/aabpara+protest3.jpg

Or worst yet.....this!

http://funnyhub.com/content_images/5685_2843_stupid-peta-protest.jpg

mountainman
10-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Well the boat damage was minimal!! From what I understand it's nothing a few hammers won't fix :eek:;-) I think Steve is waiting for Phil to get home so he is farther away when he lets us in on what really happened in the boat after dark :lol::eek:

srupp
10-22-2008, 03:09 PM
HMMM Joe I can HONESTLY SAY you WONT recognize your OWN boat..:eek:..

hmmm the natives seem to be getting restless ...:biggrin:

Steven

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
okay thats it - now I am going to start singing here iffn ya don't get something up here Steven - and u may not like what I have to sing hehehehehehe

warming up her singing vocals to start with some Slim Whitman tunes

srupp
10-22-2008, 03:38 PM
this is the LAST time I attempt this grrrrrrr...

Phil arrived at our home towing the 16 foot Tuchodi special Joe has so graciously loaned us to attempt this hunt..as Gatehouse put it THIS hunt is NOT for the unprepared or rookies the LOGISTICS and dangers here are FORMIDABLE..and can easily take your life in so many ways....with this in mind we prepared everything to the last detail and the next day saw us loaded up with 50 gallons of extra fuel as well as the 42 gallons in the Outlaws two fuel tanks....Phil was along for the "cameraman"..as well as to experience a truly wilderness adventure..and so early the next day we pulled out of Williams lake and the adventure had indeed begun

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN36980001.jpg

srupp
10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
WE arrived in Bella Coola after an uneventful trip..except for the momma grizzly and two beautiful little fluffball cubs at the bottom of the hill we watched for a bit and headed off towards the ocean..after a short nites sleep we loaded the extra supplies, fuel in the darkness while the load raucaus sounds of burping and growling from the seals somewhere close in the darkness kept Phil amazed..soon it was beginning to grow light so off we headed Phil monitoring our progress on my GPS I had already laid out a rout with waypoints to ensure a direct course... for the first 20 minutes we sped down the chuck untill we hit the infamous MESACHIE nose and the waves had grown larger we pushed on for another 20 minutes untill suddenly the waters grew calm and we picked up speed..some 1 hour into the trip we rounded the corner into Kwatna bay just as the sun was riseing the sight was spectacular..and soon we were on shore setting up camp.. a mere 1 hour and 20 minute boat adventure..http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37070001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37080001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37090001.jpg

srupp
10-22-2008, 03:51 PM
We took the time to scrounge an old tarp and make a "lean to " for extra gear that allowed us the room to sleep aboard the 16 foot "slumber lodge"

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100020001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100010001_1.jpg

srupp
10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
That afternoon we took a 4 kilometer hike up the old logging road..this had recently been upgraded to do proper road deactivation...HUGE logs were constanly requiring climbing and slipping over and then crawling down into the ditch and up the other side...while an exemplary example of road deactivation it sure was NOT hunter friendly...:tongue: we got up the valley and spent hourss glassing from one of my spots I have found yields a good view..I asked phil " what do you smell?" he sniffed and said "I dont smell anything " EXACTLY I replied you dont smell any salmon most falls the valley reeks of rotting salmon carcassess..SITKASPRUCE AND IKE were correct no..nada ..zero salmon any and all old bear scat was "autopsied like a wildlife CSI show and NO fish contents were ever identified... not once..

The next 4 days found us going to different areas sometimes by boat and others by foot when it allowed...no fish were seen on the riverbanks or in the waters or river..in the entire trip we saw one chum which had died long ago and ONE LONE whitepatched salmon swimming his final in a river pool.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100070001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100100001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100110001_1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100120001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37180001-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37190001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37220001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37130001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37150001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37160001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37170001.jpg

srupp
10-22-2008, 04:12 PM
By sleeping in the boat and being on the river , eating Mountain house foods we were able to assertain for certain by looking at all the sand bars which had been washed clean daily that NO BEARS were using the river..as there was no reason to go to an empty table...there were NO salmon so we headed back down to the tidal flats for one last look..the snows were dropping ever lower and the temperature was cold and humid at the same time the skies were growing black with menacing snow clouds all around us...we dropped back down to the estuary that flood totally and then resumes a feed grounds for birds and spring bears..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100040001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100060001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37250001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37290001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37320001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37100001.jpg

srupp
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
The Bear....

Tikka7mm
10-22-2008, 04:18 PM
keep it coming Srupp....this is sounds like it could get interesting....

ZENYO
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
So far so great... Lookingforward to the rest....

elkdom
10-22-2008, 04:24 PM
The Bear....

GAWD !! not another COMERCIAL! what is this? afternoon version of" As the BEAR returns"??? lol

mijinkal
10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
the bear . . . .
and then

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Steven - I am going to start singing Tony Orlando and Dawn and then Bobby Vinton

type faster

elkdom
10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Steven - I am going to start singing Tony Orlando and Dawn and then Bobby Vinton

type faster

Try some Rita McSqueeL ! and for the finishing touch , close with some Tiny Tim! if that dont "stimulate old 'srupp' at least he will check himself in for some 'therapy' lol

srupp
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM
We arrived on the tidal flats to have a discussion on what to do...it was painfully obvious no bears had been on the river and we had not seen any salmon or even any fresh sign or bears on the tidal flats...while we were looking at the ever darkening skies...I sitting looking up into a back feeding area Phil comes sneaking over REALLY excited..I SEE A BEAR I SEE A BEAR I SEE A BEAR...hmmmmm 3 bears???no I glass and son of a $#@^%%$#%& if its not a HUGE BLACK grizzly..now these are extremelly rare and are the type thats eem to indeed get huge as eidenced by Tims bear..so I glass where the bear is non chalantly grazing..we hatch a plan and I know EXCTLY how to get to where we can harvest this bear,,,, we cast off with Phil getting the gear ready inside the boat I sit on the bow and allow the cuurent to slowly an silently close the distance..closer ...and closer w drift the wind exactly in our favor we close the distance to a mere 380 yards..we get out and tie up the boat..and I glass the bear...STILL feeding and its HUGE...8 foot plus black grizzly at well over 800 pounds...we are in the running...

When as fast as it got good it got bad... bad well actually ver, very bad..as in TWO very very bad..TWIN CUBS..I was devistated...these were last years cubs and while they would survive I wont shoot females and I wont shoot moms with cubs.. all we could do was watch and cry...:cry:

She was out ion prime feeding time and area and wasnt worried about male bears..that settled it for both Phil and I..

We mad a bee-line for camp ..packed and were Bella Coola bound in 20 minutes..JUST prior to MESACHIE it got UGLY really ugly... however soon the waters were flat and calm the proverbial calm before the storm by Bella Coola the winds were already howling..snow flying in the close hills..

En route at the bottom of the hill we blew a boat trailer tire..so we installed the spare and off we went..at the DANGEROUS SWITCHBACK we encountered a motor vehicle accident a 1 ton crew cab loaded with firewood towing another pick up box trailer also loaded with wood burned out his brakes on the way down with 6- 8 teenagers on board the driver made his only decision hit the rock wall on purpose versus a 2,000 foot drop we stopped , only fatalaties were the shortys of each occupent..they were not only soiled they were ruined..:wink:..

so off home and thus ended a very enjoyable hunt with Phil and my first non harvestable grizzly hunt we went we hunted we enjoyed.. and that in itself was successfull..the SPOT allowed Susan and Roxann to see our location and that by checking in we were still alive...

Again a THANKS to Phil for coming long and to JOSEPH for such a magnanimous gift the loaning of his jet boat..thank you SIRS..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/DSCN37300001.jpg

STEVEN

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Nice trip there Steven. You didn't get any pic's of that black grizz?

srupp
10-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes I do however they are on Phils video camera, when he gets home he will send me a clip and I will post that...I did the best I could rathere than get BOOTED for inciting a riot..:eek:

Steven

NaStY
10-22-2008, 05:03 PM
WOW what a hunt eh? Too bad you weren't able to come home with a animal, but at least you were out there. Great story and pictures sir........

elkdom
10-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Sounds like you had great time! great country you hunted! too bad about the "WRONG" G-BEAR! but $hit happens and there will be a next time! Good Story! Good pictures! thanks for your effort!

Ike
10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
It is really disturbung to think of Kwatna as a 'bear free zone' this year. I was hoping things would be better than that for you out there.

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Steven I am so proud of you

thank you so much for always enlightening us with such a fabulous rendition of your travels as a hunter and providing us with suspence and intrigue as you do always deliver --------------------- eventually

putting her grandma's song book away now :)

Gateholio
10-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Steve, thanks for posting the pics prior to being banned:biggrin:

SOunds liek an interesting trip! Looking forward to seeing the bear pics!

BiG Boar
10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Pretty awsome man! However I am glad no one took me up on my bet. Good pics, and good story, wish I could have been there. Your still the best grizzly hunter out there. Dave

Tikka7mm
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
There's always next year...great pics and story Srupp, thanks for sharing!

zigman
10-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. Rally nice pictures too.

Elkhound
10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Steve, thanks for posting the pics prior to being banned:biggrin:

He was sooooooooooooooooooo close:tongue:

Thanks Steven. Beautiful area.

kayjayess
10-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Great story and pics to accompany. Pretty isolated up there. Hard country to hunt for sure. Thanks again

srupp
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Dave..Gate does NOT need any help..:roll:...hmm I WAS busy cleaning gear and getting ready for life in the real world..:biggrin:

Thanks Bigbore..no sheep now no GRIZZLY.....setting up for a lean year..lol...BUT I get to put in for spring bear ..YIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Steven

moosinaround
10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Dave..Gate does NOT need any help..:roll:...hmm I WAS busy cleaning gear and getting ready for life in the real world..:biggrin:

Thanks Bigbore..no sheep now no GRIZZLY.....setting up for a lean year..lol...BUT I get to put in for spring bear ..YIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Steven
Plus a moose, and 5000 bucks worth of ketchup!!!!:smile: Moosin

moosinaround
10-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Seriously though, Thanks SRUPP, Excellent story and pictures!! More of our beautiful province!! Moosin

srupp
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
moosinaround..I KNOW where you live dont make me come there and have you make me a coffee..lol..
oh ya the groceries...I forgot about that...it really was a medium sized moose..

steven

moosinaround
10-22-2008, 08:27 PM
moosinaround..I KNOW where you live dont make me come there and have you make me a coffee..lol..
oh ya the groceries...I forgot about that...it really was a medium sized moose..

steven
You come on by any time. I don't make sissy coffee though, so bring your iron guts!! LOL

The Dawg
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Awesome story Steven....and thanks for the amazing pics...

10-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Sounds to me like you guys did all you could have to be successful. Some times it just aint in the cards......
other times when you least expect it ....... like women....... you think you have them figured out ...then NOT !

Sounds like a really cool trip you had any way, thanks for sharing the pics.

Curly

Brambles
10-22-2008, 09:19 PM
So let me get this straight, this big post about a bear you DIDN'T shoot and SFA about he Moose you DID shoot.

You off your MEDS or something?

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
You come on by any time. I don't make sissy coffee though, so bring your iron guts!! LOL
iron guts - is that what I needed - your cooking was great - ohhhhh right we never had coffee did we?

lol

Sounds to me like you guys did all you could have to be successful. Some times it just aint in the cards......
other times when you least expect it ....... like women....... you think you have them figured out ...then NOT !

Curly

hahahaha keep guessing and tryin Curly hehehehe never ever gonna happen

Steve I really enjoyed all the photos - we do have a beautiful province

srupp
10-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Brambles... yup and nope..yup Im STILL on my meds and taking them every day..and nope didnt get a grizzly but did get a moose..ya that about sums it up..oh didnt get a sheep either but that was a given..:redface:

Worst year for salmon around here ever...and THATS why the grizzlies are here along the river..no fish no bears..HOWEVER the trip is exciting to say the least..look at Phils face when he was setting up camp hell even THEN he has that thousand yard stare of a man just having faced death..he was suitably impressed with the Bella Coola hill....

I cant explain what the photos dont , this place is 'special" almost worth the experience just to go there for the beauty and remoteness..and to travel up the valley and also by river is beyond my words to explain..

I put in for the draw and won it when others have been putting in for over a decade and havnt even got a draw...it is logistically challenging as any hunt in BC...and having drawn the tag I had a responsibility to try and go..I knew from good honest reliable sources about the dismal lack of both salmon AND GRIZZLIES mid coast...but I went and gave it everything I knew...and for the first time ever came home from a grizzly hunt empty handed..sometimes it goes that way..

I tried the flats..the back eddy, the apple orchards, the caves, the cliff estuary, 'Jesusville", the airport, the old road, Slousiska creek, the fish weir,eagles nest,the "beach", the bend, the upper trail, yes and even the lower trail..places most hunters would never know existed..we tried repeatadly....we didnt light fires ..we kept conversation low toned and quiet, we carefully examined all exposed sand bars at low tide..no bears came or went using the trails or bars we examined...we looked for live fish and dead ones..we examined most ALL bear POOP for signs of what and when they were eating..certainly not one scat showed evidence of fish meals..

We sat for tens of hours glassing locations suitable for such..I feel I know how to hunt bears..and put our best effort forward without being too agressive as to be foolhardy with our safety..

It is never an easy thing to break a winning streak and to finally "strike out" but we did see bears..just not legal ones.. but certainly a thrill for both of us..I will wait till Phil puts in his feelings on his experience..he certainly did not seem disapointed in not being "in on a harvest" and seemed to enjoy every aspect of the whole trip and adventure..

yes I guess I could have said we didnt get a bear and left it at that but tried to share the whole experience...

As for the moose..hmmm I went I hunted and shot a medium meat moose..and reformatting the camera for the bear hunt I inadvertantly erased the moose photos...wasnt that big an issue whether I was believed or not..my freezer says YES..

Sorry for the long story and abundant photos about a Grizzly hunt that didnt result in a kill....it was successful in my books... and I will continue on my meds..lol

cheers

Steven

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 11:32 PM
... and I will continue on my meds..lol

cheers

Steven

I lost mine. Can I borrow some?

BiG Boar
10-23-2008, 07:39 AM
As for the moose..hmmm I went I hunted and shot a medium meat moose..and reformatting the camera for the bear hunt I inadvertantly erased the moose photos...wasnt that big an issue whether I was believed or not..my freezer says YES..Steven

The websters dictionary defines the word alleged as: questionably true or not proven.

As for the ......alleged medium meat moose......alleged black grizzly photos........ let me guess the camera sprouted wings and another hunter shot it and tagged it. Till I see any proof.....I aint buying.

Mu hahahahaha!!!!

Flingin' Sticks
10-23-2008, 07:42 AM
Steve, I still think that you should have made your newbie buddy drive that hill the first time. way up there on the pucker factor methinks.

Were you were camped...was that where the old logging camp used to be at kwatna? I haven't been down that way since they totally demolished the camp, but I've seen some MONSTER grizzlies on that same tidal flat...slightly intimidating when your sleeping on a 26' bathtub only a few hundred yards away and he doesn't seem to be too concerned that your there.

Great stroy even no fur hit the ground. brings back some fond memories of my youth (well, younger youth anyways).

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 07:58 AM
ya know Steven there is a program to get deleted photos back from photo cards and they are free downloads to do it

I had lost all my pics from Denmark of Peter's cousin's wedding and was devistated - but I now have them back from a downloaded program so maybe you could get your moose photos back as well

Springer
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Where to start ??
I guess first I have to Thank Elmer FuddRuppster for the invitation to come along. He could have asked many other friends and he chose the flat-lander
( probably because he knew my eyes would be wide as saucers the whole trip)

Secondly I have to Thank Joe Fehr ,over and over again because without him this trip would not have been possible and Joe~AKA Mountainman went way out of his way to not only lend but deliver his boat to my Doorstep in Red Deer and he lives in Grande Prairie. Joe also met me in Hinton on the way home and saved me another 650km of driving where he picked up his 16' Tuchodi Special !! which served as transportation,sleeping quarters and cookhouse for the entire trip.

Like how do you thank guys like these two men for making another Outdoor adventure possible that would not have been possible otherwise. Man am i gonna have to dig up some big Whitetail bucks for payback hey fella's.

If anyone here lives on the flat farmland of central Alberta you know how it differs from the Lush Wet Coast of B.C.
Its a good thing i packed extra shorts because that hill into the Bella Coola is hairy Scary the first time !! Steve told me the history of the building of the road,Unbelievable hey.
We reach the bottom of the hill and we spot this Sow with two adorable cubs which i excitedly filmed and was so awe-struck i forgot to take a picture,just video footage.
Anyway we get settled into Bella coola and sleep in a parking lot overnight,me in the truck and Steve getting his first and only good sleep of the trip because apparently I am some kind of Power Snorer??
We set out the next morning but i am reluctant due to the noises coming from the sea lions that sound like the making of Horror movie noises in the dark.

After rocketing in across the tops of the waves we reach the calm of the Kwatna bay and its time to change the shorts again because ....what a ride !!

Steve has pretty much covered the events of the next days to come but not my appreciation of being in this mystical area and also being able to spot Mountain Goats from the shore that are in places that will ensure they will only die of Old age...The first few nights i slept with one ear open because man i saw the ancient Bear trails these monsters have been using for years and my confidence is not up there yet that the Boat is bearproof and since there were no salmon we may be second best on the menu. Turns out we must taste bad because we never had close encounters.

The last day before the storm starts blowing in,and let me tell you Buddy Steve has taught me patience and the waiting paid off and we spot a "BLACK GRIZZLY" holy crap. I do have her on my video tape and with any luck i can get what i have of her as well as the Sow and cubs at Hagensburg converting from video format to a picture for Ya'all.

For me the entire trip was a success , Steve harvesting a Bear or not.I had a great trip/holiday and now that I am back home and all gear is dried out i can digest the whole trip and think back to how every day was exciting and different. You can never take enough pictures or enough Video tape and i feel like i never got enough of either but each time out should help improve that..... Thanks again Steve and Joe and thanks to my Wife for holding down the fort at home,having the tekagi water heater replaced without me and tending to my dogs ear infection. Now i have to chalk up many more brownie points in case i get invited again.

Skoll...( Cheers )

PS ,do you BC residents have any idea how fortunate you are to live in such a Grand Province!! with the hunting opportunities you have that rest of us don't...

Springer

ElectricDyck
10-24-2008, 05:37 AM
I do have her on my video tape and with any luck i can get what i have of her as well as the Sow and cubs at Hagensburg converting from video format to a picture for Ya'all.

Upload the video to photo bucket and post a link.:smile:

mountainman
10-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Well the boat made it home last night with no incidents. Seem that it came back in better shape then when it left :shock: It was not real clean when it left due to my work schedule but now it shines. Hats off to Steven and Phil for taking such good care of the little beast.

Was sad though was hoping to see a grizz up close and personal but that is why it is called hunting and not shooting.

Ike
10-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Springer,

Glad you had a great trip. BC is a beautiful place and you got to see one of the very special parts of the coast. There aren't many places left like that where you can go for a week and know you are not going to see anyone else.

Hopefully next time you get to see it full of salmon and bears, it is even better that way.

Cheers

srupp
10-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Phil hanks for adding in some points from the ALberta part of the team Phil...glad you enjoyed the adventure..you sure did experience some new things ...like how MUCH water can rise and fall while your sleeping...:eek:

Joe thank you again Bud...glad you found everything to your liking...only way the boat would have been better is if YOU had also came along..the snaps should all work now and the extra key and extra tire...as well as Phil Susan and myself ensured it was brand new clean...and I will take care of ALL the fuel costs on this years or next years Terrace trip..whenever you can make it out again..I certainly APPRECIATE your kindness and generosity in your own queit and humble way thanks Joe!

Ike isnt that the truth..its almost a religous experience or "HALLOWED' place been going there for 25 years or more and ALWAYS look forward to being there..and going back and seen grizzlies 100% of the trips...

Send me a PM when you have your LEH filled...

cheers

Steven

Ike
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Ike isnt that the truth..its almost a religous experience or "HALLOWED' place been going there for 25 years or more and ALWAYS look forward to being there..and going back and seen grizzlies 100% of the trips...

Send me a PM when you have your LEH filled...

cheers

Steven

Will do, I know there was one LEH g-bear taken here while you were out in Kwatna, and I saw fresh tracks in the estuary yesterday evening whilst looking for geese and ducks so there are a few around.

Cheers

BiG Boar
10-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Photos hello?!!!!! Lets get a move on!

Call of the Wild
11-14-2012, 01:06 AM
That's a awesome grizzly hunting story. I have to got out there one to hunt and see that part of the coast.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Sounds like an adventure I know quite well, a week at Kwatna with no salmon. I am glad you made it back safe and sound. see you soon.

Gateholio
11-14-2012, 09:19 AM
WOW, quite the zombie thread! :)