PDA

View Full Version : LEH Moose Hunt 2008

DrewT
10-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, Im off for my first Hunt and pretty excited.(need to share).
I was fortunate to get a LEH Cow draw in 7-05
Will update my results on monday.:biggrin:

riflebuilder
10-10-2008, 12:47 PM
good luck I hope you get one.

Ride
10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Be ready for snow. Its there. Heading out that way myself this weekend.

srupp
10-10-2008, 02:32 PM
good luck and play SAFE..

steven

hunter1947
10-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Good luck DT ,hope you get a hanger.

DrewT
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Well I got my cow moose but it was anti climatic. Let me tell you why.....
Two weeks prior I went with the same people Elk hunting in chetwyn. I had just gotton out of surgery two weeks prior to our trip from an ACL replacement in my right knee. I couldnt walk very fair so my hunting partner set me up on a ridge that overlooked a narrow twisty valley that came to a visible end at 350 yards to the west. I was on the north ridge and the top of the south ridge was 350 yards away. To my east was thick willows in the valley. The morning sun was coming up over my left shoulder and the wind was blowing in my face ( a very light breze ).

K, the scene is set, ive been there for 1/2 an our playing with my new hoochie mama as instructed.( first real hunt )

All of a sudden I can hear cows calling from the west, then a reply from the south, didnt know what to do so I just sat still and let the talking back and forth from the real game go on. To the west I see one, then two, then three, then four cows coming at me through the game trail at 350 yards. My hart started racing and my right leg started shaking and I could not control it. I watch these four through the scope of my rifle all the way to 100 yards. I had multiple shots available to me but I just froze.
At 100 yards the lead cow looked at me, the second looked over the firsts shoulder at me as did the third and fourth, then slowly walked up the ridge and over the hill 80 to 100 yards in front of me. Im just a shaking mess at this point. About, 3 min later I noticed motion on the south ridge, 2 cows coming right at me less than 200 yards, I have the first cow in my sights, my ears are poping with every hart beat, my hart feels like its going to explode with every beat as well. She stops at 150 yards broadsided, looking to the north/west for what felt like 2 min then walked back up the ridge the may she came.

Doubt of true distance, and concern of not making the shot count, concern of not being able to go after a wounded animal because of my own leg are what stopped me from shooting, but Ill never forget that first rush.

Now back to my LEH, saw her at 80 yards, sighted my rifle on the base of her neck, squeezed the trigger, down she went on the spot. No racing hart, no shaking leg, just a sigh of relief that I made the shot count, and got the animal I was looking for. Gutted my first animal from start to finnish and my great partners gladly brought her out of the bush for me so I wouldnt injure my leg.

By the way we leave on friday the 24, back to chetwyn so I can face those elk again, and hopefully cut my tag this time.

Caveman
10-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Good on you Drew, Congrats on the moose, good luck on the return visit to the elk.

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 01:09 PM
congrats on the moose - it is so nice when they co-operate and show up so we don't have to do so much work to do

Best of luck and straight shooting for your Elk :)