PDA

View Full Version : question about bullets

Sikanni Stalker
09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
hOWDY GANG,

Just a quick question about bullets. I am going on my goat hunt next week. I have only ever used winchester 180's in my 30-06. Will these be ok for a mountain hunt ?????? I have heard that goats can be a long shot and I have read here that they can be pretty close. Do I want to substitute punch for a lighter flatter bullet?????? (160's) for the long shots or keep the heavies for the kill. Please your input will be apppreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Steeleco
09-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Now this is just my opinion as I'm not a ballistics pro but I would hunt with what you know, especially since time is short. If you were to pick a 165 they will shoot a little flatter but may not shoot well in your gun. And so on with the smaller bullets, it takes range time to be sure.

BCHunter
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
becareful not to buy cheap 165's, I'd suggest Hornady ammo

Sikanni Stalker
09-07-2005, 08:17 PM
ok I heard this before. when I bought my gun the guy said winchesters were about the best. Now coming from a bowhunting background that's what i bought in good faith and have always used them. is there another factor to consider here or is this one of the great debates?????????

I have seen lots of bullets posted here that I have never seen when buying ammo....

TIA again,
Tim

black 'n blue
09-07-2005, 08:24 PM
I would use the 180's for sure if I was used to shooting them. They will give plenty of range. As an added bonus, if you see a moose on the way up you have the right load. And IF you should run into a grizz, I'd sooner have 180's than 150's. Last mountain goat I shot was with 200 gr. round nose bullets. You don't have to shoot them 400 yards away!

BCHunter
09-07-2005, 08:39 PM
As an added bonus, if you see a moose on the way up you have the right load.

165's will do fine for moose too. It worked for me this year....

Thunderstix
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
My son double lunged a Billie Saturday with 165 grainers with death being the only adverse affect.

BCHunter
09-07-2005, 09:09 PM
he used 165, right on! what brand ammo?

btw thats a nice billie!

BCHunter
09-07-2005, 09:11 PM
i shoot Hornady 165gr Light Mag Interbonds, check my webpage out and you can see a 165gr I recovered from my bear this year

Red Foreman
09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Try some 165's before you hunt with them.In my 06 the 180's are bang on but the 165's group like a shotgun.I tried 3 or 4 different brands just can't find any that group proper.All the 180's I've used group nicely,I'm currently using the winchesters.I'm shooting a mk 11 ruger btw.

Thunderstix
09-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Hornady Interbonds! Great bullets! He killed his first deer last year with this same combo. He also shoots a Ruger MKII, Stainless with the Butt-Ugly Synthetic Stock.

Tarp Man
09-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Tim, If you can get your hands on a copy of Peterson's Hunting, a recent issue had a great listing of bullets, ballistics, and loads for factory ammo. Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Lazzeronni, Black Hills, Remington, they were all there. It's worth a look. Good luck with your hunt
-Tarp Man

sealevel
09-08-2005, 06:21 AM
What most say use 165 this is just MOP but a 30-06 dosn`t shoot 150.s good if you buy factory ammo try federal prem .or classic.

Steeleco
09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
I've switched to 165 interbonds, but as I load my own it's taken some time to get a good load. If your inclined and have the time, try a box, if your not happy with them you still have your 180's.

Foxer
09-08-2005, 08:20 AM
It's hard to switch back and forth - you mention 165's and then keep the 180's for the big stuff. But that means sighting in between hunts. And i know first hand how that can sometimes wind up being a problem - you get busy then you're trying to do it a day before the next hunt, etc.

The fact is, if you're going on this hunt in the near future it's probably a little late to be trying to work out a new load - not all guns shoot any given bullet well. Some will love a specific bullet, some will hate 'em. You have to try a bunch to figure out what your gun likes. If you have the time, great, but be sure you have the time - otherwise you're way better off just sticking to what you know, and figuring out a little before hand what your ballistics are like.

Another option if you DO have the time to look is federal 180 grain High Energy nosler partitions. They come out the barrel at about the same speed a normal 165 does, and give you the ballistics you're looking for. But - they're 180's so they're plenty heavy if you're going after moose.

Seabass
09-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Stick to what you know, the 180s. A problem more than enough hunters make is not knowing their gun. Go out to a range or open place to shoot and find out where your gun hits at 200yrds,250,300,350, up to say 400, or wherever your comfortable. Find how much drop you have at these distances/ how much hold over you'll need.
Pick up a range finder so you don't guess distances (so you don't screw up you shot,very diseaving). Practice, practice, practic, get good, get confindent and go get your game.

Good luck

Cheers

Seabass

abbyfireguy
09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I have used 180 grain Nozler Ballistic tips with my hand loads in both 300 Weatherby and 30-06 for years..The weight carries well and I found them extremely accurate...The moose and deer never complained,they just died..
I also will be using them in a 308 load for my son's gun next week, but I will use a lighter bullet(150 grain)....

Gateholio
09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
You're out of time.

Use the ones you are used to using, the 180gr Winchesters.

There isn't much difference in penetration with 165 vs 180gr bullets. Up close the 180gr may retain some more weight, though. There isn't much difference in trajectory with a bullet going an additional 150fps, either.

I assume they are the POower Point?

Winchester loads lots of differnet 180gr bullets int hier ammo.

Nest spring, buy a few boxes of various factory ammo and try them out, see what your gun likes best.

rock
09-08-2005, 09:35 PM
At the this time use what your use to, 180's will be fine, then as gatehouse said experiment when you have time, I use 180's in heaver bush and 150's when I hunting open areas but I'm familiar how each one shoots.

todbartell
09-11-2005, 04:00 PM
180's would work fine for goats in a 30-06, as long as the bullet isnt built too sturdy like a Fail Safe or A-Frame. A Ballistic Tip, Interbond, Accubond, or Scirroco would be a good pick. 165 gr. shoots a bit faster out of the gate but the higher ballistic coefficient of the 180s will narrow the gap downrange.

If it was me though I would pick a 165 gr. premium bullet like a Interbond or even a Triple SHock X. Ive heard goats can take a pounding. :o :D

Sikanni Stalker
09-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Wow,
this is alot of good advice, thanks guys. I will stick to my 180's for this hunt as it is in three more days. But I will definitely experiment when I get back. I will apply all this know how and probably be back to ask more questions then.

thanks alot!