PDA

View Full Version : moose and elk hunting in chetwynd

geno
09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Well me and my buddy just got back from chetwynd for moose and elk. We were totally new to the area, and really had no idea of where to go.. I had heard the del-Rio area is good, but had no idea of were it is. So we head up by Hudson hope, and find a nice looking forestry road. So we set up camp and go out for an evening hunt.. All we see is a few nice white-tail, and mule deer. But deer is only open for bow... well a day goes by and nothing... well we talked to a few campers and it turns out that the was a big old Indian pow wow 2 weeks befor opening season.. And they cleared the area.. Killed every thing there...

So we took off and got some very very rough directions to the del-Rio area.. So we start driving. Well to sum it all up, we took a left were we should have taken a right. So after driving for 2 hours or so in the bush and getting no were. We start heading back into to find a new spot..

On the way I take a look at the cash flow and it turns out that were really low on cash. We had just the right amount of money to get home.. Keep in mind that it took 15 hours to get to chetwynd... we didn’t even have the money for food on the way back home.

But were going back up to chetwynd in 3 weeks, maybe less...

This time were flying up... but I have a question, when I go back up to chetwynd, if I tag out how would I get the animal back home? UPS?

And does anyone have a map or something to get to del-Rio

Thanks

Geno

mark
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM
ive been hunting the del rio for 14 years, it can be hit and miss. its no cake walk if someone told you that, and when you get there you probably wont be impressed with what you see. but dont get me wrong there is lots of game and im going to be there from sept 9- sept 23 with a few buds. any local in chetwynd can draw a map how to get there.

bosskiller
09-08-2005, 02:41 AM
I was up at the time of the Indian POW WOW. It was actually held on opening day of moose (aug. 15).Yes they did clear up everything including some nice 4 x4 mulies. I saw everything. The entire area there was also sprayed with herbicide so don't go there for a couple of years although some moose still do linger around. We spotted a few. We were successful every year for the last 11 yrs there until this year. Try hunting Moose Lake near Tumbler Ridge in the " Bullmoose Flats". There is lots of moose there. I spotted several tri palm moose there. Our group pulled out three in a single clearcut.

mark
09-08-2005, 07:12 AM
hey bosskiller where exactly did they srpay the pesticide, im going to chetwynd tonight?

bosskiller
09-08-2005, 02:15 PM
They have sprayed "herbicide" on all the willows and other plantation many clear cuts along forest service roads on the west side of hwy 29 in between Chetwynd and Hudsons Hope. Not all clear cuts have been sprayed though. The most recently sprayed will have numerous red or white bags hanging on all willows along the edges. If you see that, there is no moose. If you are lucky enough to find one without being sprayed, this is where all the moose are. I wouldn' t go there though. The helicopter is flying everywhere as well. Try anywhere south of Hwy 97 like Hassler FSR ( approx. 25 kms west of Chetwynd 7-22) or Moose Lake( 70 kms south of Chetwynd on hwy 29 7-21).

tomigunz
09-08-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd try tumbler ridge area, i have seen many of moose there while i was working on the pipelines, probably seen at leats 4 moose a day.

geno
09-08-2005, 11:03 PM
well i'll be heading back up that way on the 23 of this month and well hopfully i have better luck. Im not to sure were i'll go, maybe try for the del-rio area.. who knows.
this time i'll be alittle better prepared.

Hambone
09-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Bosskiller, ive also hunter near Hudsons Hope, but only for the past 6 years. We used to have a very remote and successful spot however the spraying ruined it for us. Also the amount of mud around opening day had us worried if we would ever get out of the bush! We moved down to the Tumbler Ridge area in search or new area and liked what we saw. Unfortunately we saw 2 giant bulls but never ended up pulling the trigger. Did you hunt the Bullmoose Flats area this year and have that success? That is the area right of the main highway just before you enter Tumber right?

Also for the person who was worried about how to get meat home. The butcher just outside chetwynd does a good job, then just put all the frozen meat in a cooler and drive through the night (assuming you live in the lower mainland). Ive done it for 5 years and never had problems.

bosskiller
09-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Bullmoose Flats is the area just south of Gwillum Lake Park towards Tumbler Ridge. I hunted the west side of hwy 29 with success in recent years. This year we got 3 bulls( two tripalms and a spike) out of the same clearcut. There is many roads in this area that can go for miles and many pipelines that grow numerous wilows. The east side of the highway is good but the hunters are like a marching army, every 200 or so yrds(in Moose Lake).

Hambone
09-18-2005, 04:40 PM
We were very interested in that Gwilliam lake area, but this year because we were basically exploring everywhere we never got a chance to give it a try. Congrats! taking 3 from one clearing that sure makes for a lot less work. The number of hunters I think only real problem with areas like that. Theres nothing worse than spending alot of time and money going hunting when theres an army of hunters nearby. Have you explored any of the areas nearby. We took a brief look down the Wolverine and Sukunka and it wasnt very impressive. The Wolverine has a massive new mine opening up and the Sukunka had loaded trucks coming out almost every 10 mins. I'd hate to think next year we are going to be running around looking for areas around opening. If you have any suggestions it would be appreciated.