PDA

View Full Version : Heated Ground Blinds

Buchaneer
10-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I am thinking ahead to the cooler days of November and doing some hunting from ground blinds - I have the Doghouse blind. Has anyone used a portable propane heater in one of these blinds? Would you think that a heated blind would have any negative affect in the hunting area?
As I think ahead, a heated blind sure would be nice. I have spent many a November hunt chilled to the bone after sitting for hours in a blind.
Thanks for your advice.

Ron.C
10-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I have a Doghouse blind as well and have a small heater I'll be putting in it this year. I can't see it having a real negative impact as I plan to keep my blind downwind of the game trail anyway, and besides, the blind itself will have its own scent that is unatural even if you try to eliminate it. But my blind is alreay set up for November so hopefully all the deer in the area will be used to it by then. Of course you need to be careful not to burn the thing down, but my opinion on weather the heater maybe creating any negative effects is the same opinion I have on guys brining books/MP3 players/small video games on stand or in blinds with them.

Whatever it takes to keep you in the blind or in the stand longer, do it. You aren't going to shoot any game by calling it quits and heading home because your freezing cold, getting bored or because your not seeing anything. Some guys may say you will ruin your spot, or if you need a heater stay home. I say hunt how you want, let them hunt how they want. If you can hunt the blind without the heater, great, but if it makes you more comfortable and keeps you there all day, give it a try.

bigwhiteys
10-05-2008, 04:12 PM
As I think ahead, a heated blind sure would be nice. I have spent many a November hunt chilled to the bone after sitting for hours in a blind.
Thanks for your advice.

Yeah it sucks being cold... That's why I use my pickup as a groundblind. We've taken deer every year this way in November and some real pigs too, takes lots of patience. Wait for the buck, slowly sneak out, load up and boom!
Carl

gbear
10-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Last season, I had a doghouse set up and used a coleman sportcat heater in it. It did help to keep me warm on those -30 degree days. But, just be aware that it does make a bit of noise. And, I think it does have some odor to it. One particular day, I was starting to get really chilled, and not much seemed to be happening at that time, so I fired up the heater. Sure enought, about 10 minutes later a whitetail buck comes by. He's out about 50 yards, and all of a sudden his nose starts smelling the air. I just sensed that he could smell the something from the heater. So, I reached over and shut it off. Almost right away, he put his nose back down. Sometimes the heater is needed, but I would suggest to have it handy so you can reach over and shut it off quickly if needed.

Dirty
10-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Try the Mr.Heater portable propane heaters. They make the Lil Buddy and Big Buddy heaters with battery powered fans. You can shut the fan on and off with a switch. We use the Big Buddy out in our boat while sturgeon fishing and it is wicked. Just don't get your goatee too close to the element as it will catch fire. :razz:

eaglesnester
10-06-2008, 06:26 AM
It would seem that any source of heat except for electric would give out an odor. Electric heating is not an option in the blind as you would need lots and lots of deep cycle batteries to keep you warm and we all know batteries are heavy. Deer have a keen since of smell (did I say keen since of smell). I would rather dress warm for still sitting in the blind. There is clothing out there that will do the job.