PDA

View Full Version : What day pack do you use?

CSG
10-05-2008, 12:41 AM
What kind of day packs do you use?

What are your must have features on a day pack?

Bighorn hunter
10-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I just bought the kifaru spike camp. I am heading out tomorrow for bighorns and can't wait to try it out with a sheep in it.

This will be my forst day pack with a frame in it. I have found in the past that my other packs were not thet comfy with a bunch of meat and what not in them. Jenerally I am not out therre just for the meat, and so I don't shoot a lot of game, so the really light day bags are nice with just your day gear. But when you do happen to find the trophy you are looking for they kind of suck.

The spike camp looks like it might do the job. It is quite light, just 3.5 lbs, yet with the internal frame should pack a bit of a load.

BHH

Kody94
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
I wasn't satisfied with my previous daypack so I picked up a Badlands 2200 in the off season. I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but I like it so far and am very pleased with its design and quality of construction.

Cheers,
4ster

car94401
10-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Cabelas White-tail Daypack. Just finished a week elk hunt with it and was more than pleased. It rained like crazy but it stayjed pretty dry.

brksey
10-05-2008, 01:18 PM
x2 for the badlands 2200, i use one and its great

huntcoop
10-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I have the Eberlestock J104 and it is awesome.

www.eberlestock.com (http://www.eberlestock.com)

rishu_pepper
10-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Eberlestock Gunslinger for me, and yes, it is awesome :D

Sitkaspruce
10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Blacks-Creek Canadian. By far the best pack I have owned, it goes from a nice day pack, around 2200 in3 an can expand to a 4000 in3 for hauling meat. It packed out my Island elk last year with no problems.

Very comfortable, very well made and waterproof as I tested it today in a downpour all day.

Cheers

SS

Ambush
10-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Badlands 2200 for the last three years. Like it so much, I bought a 4500 as well!

Chuck
10-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Suzuki Samurai......throw out the back seat and everything fits in there but I have to quarter up or even more the larger stuff. lol.

Buckman
10-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Badlands diablo grewat pack!

troutseeker
10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
I use the Eberlestock J104 as well. It compresses nicely and can expand to serve as a pack suitable for a few days out there and carry the meat out when fully expanded. Last year I packed my deboned mullie in one shot trip, and had spotter, emergency gera, etc in the pack as well.

This year I'm going to pack my short 12 gauge in the scabbard and carry my rifle so te grouse better be worried!

Troutseeker

Ron.C
10-05-2008, 06:34 PM
4th season with the badlands 2200

The 'Hummer'
10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, for Varmint/Predator sessions I use a 'Little Big Horn' from Outdoors. For bow hunting, a 'NonTypical' designed by Crooked Horn Outfitters for Outdoor Gear. Last but not least, for those moments of nostalgia and similar to what I used as a Boy Scout when I lived in the interior, a 'F.Jeune Bros. pack sack' that can be used on its own or that attaches to a 'Trapper Nelson Pack Board', which I still have. I think I'm older than dirt!!;-)

The Hermit
10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I bought a badlands 200 this year and am NOT happy with it. All the tabs on the zippers broke off, one of them fell apert in my fingers when I was taking it out of the box!! POS super cheap mild steel. Also one of the zippers on the harness pocket immediately got so stuck on the material that I can't open it at all and the other side is just about as useless. When I get the time maybe later this week I plan to return it for replacement. It is comfortable and has good adjustment... haven't had the opportunity to carry a quarter on it yet but I think it should do the job.

BoomBoom
10-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I used the badlands 2200 for 3 years. Great pack...packed heavy loads of meat out on it. I sold it as I found that it was too heavy for a day pack.
I now have a Badlands Hypervent. It is lighter than the 2200 and no meat shelf. I packed approx 50-60 pounds of elk out on it (brought back the horses for round 2!) Busted a buckle trying to overtighten a strap. It has a aluminum frame that may pinch on your kidneys if you have a wide arse.

My hunting buddies have chosen the Badlands Superday and are happy with it (one busted zipper closer). Too many pockets though! tough to remember which pocket stuff is in!!

All badlands are fairly water proof. Mine even managed to keep quite a pool of blood in them.

I tried out Eberlestock...nice packs but way to heavy for day use IMHO.

Duribility=extra weight I guess.

boom

huntwriter
10-05-2008, 10:26 PM
My daypack is a one-compartment deal that I have for so many years I can’t remember what brand it is. I use it rarely because I like to travel light. If I can’t fit my gear into a waist pack and the pant cargo pockets then I have too much stuff. Having said that I might add that I am not much into hiking long distances or all day long. I mostly hunt from treestands and ground stands and seldom walk more than a three to four km's.

pupper
10-05-2008, 10:44 PM
For a day pack I like the badlands 2200 (http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Badlands_Pack_2200), it has lots of compartments and is comfortable.

bradoerksen
10-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I just picked up a Badlands Super Day and I just recently got to use and Badlands are by far the most comfortable packs made in my opinion and the opinion of many others. They are made for hunters by hunters. They are the most durable packs ever they also have a wide variety of packs to choose from. They want you to beat the crap out of the packs and if they break they usually replace it no questions ask. I suggest you pick one up

daycort
10-06-2008, 10:30 AM
I have a badlands 2800 and I really like it. But this year I have just been using my 107 all zippered up and carrying my 30-30 in the scabard for bowhunting.

The better half started hunting this year so she will use the badlands pack.

HD95
10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Badlands Super-day pack.Great for your personal hunting gear.Not big enough for packing meat.Super comfortable.

frenchbar
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I use the Badlands 2800 pack . Good pack imo.

model88
10-09-2008, 06:21 AM
For a daypack, I have been using the Crooked Horn Outfitters Guides pack for 8 years now. Been an excellent pack.

The 'Hummer'
10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
For winter, tomorrow, ordering a Badlands Superday in winter camo.:grin:

tomahawk
10-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Cabelas White-tail Daypack. Just finished a week elk hunt with it and was more than pleased. It rained like crazy but it stayjed pretty dry.

Me too, just got it this year, used it in a 5 hr rain storm everything on me was soaked but the inside of the pack.

todbartell
10-09-2008, 11:29 PM
anybody looking for a great day pack, check out the Badlands Diablo - I used one for 5 days and it's fantastic, and quite affordable @ $145

http://www.trailmasteroutdoors.com/products/img/G-7093.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
10-10-2008, 04:54 AM
J-107.

I like the fact that you can still-hunt with your bow and have backup riding in the scabbord which doesn't take you 5 minutes to get out.

SSS

The 'Hummer'
10-10-2008, 10:14 AM
anybody looking for a great day pack, check out the Badlands Diablo - I used one for 5 days and it's fantastic, and quite affordable @ $145

http://www.trailmasteroutdoors.com/products/img/G-7093.jpg
Too late to tempt me now. I've just ordered the Superday in winter camo from you.;) Thanks guy.

todbartell
10-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I was going to buy a Diablo but Gatehouse swiped it from under my nose! Next year...:D

308BAR
10-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Anyone know who carries the elberlestock and what's the best price around?

bighornbob
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I also use the Eberlestock J-107. Its my pack for everything, day hikes and 14 day sheep hunts. Just open her up and put on the Super Spike camp.

308BAR

I know wholesale sports carries Eberlestocks as does cabela's. I ordered mine right from Glenn Eberle (the guy who makes the packs). When I did some price checking it would have been about the same price for me to get one from Wholesale (no shipping as i live in Kamloops). Wholesale marks their bags up some from what Eberlestock sells them. But if you buy from Eberlestock you get dinged with shipping and some duty.

Now with all dollar going in the tank compared to when i bought it, it may be cheaper to buy up here then across the line, that is if the retailers have not already raised their prices.

BHB

Bow Walker
10-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Day pack? Meaning from home and back home in the same day? You'd be very surprised by my K-Mart Kamo Speciale :redface:....only $24.95 Fuzzy and silent outside, waterproof inside and numerous compartments for goodies and necessary stuff.

Dirty
10-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a Badlands 2200 and I just got a Eberlestock J107 (birthday :smile:). I might sell the Badlands 2200 and get a Badlands superday or diablo. I had a superday before and wish I would have kept it. The 2200 is a great pack, but now that I have the J107 I have no need for it.

.308win
10-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I have the Eberlestock J104 and it is awesome.

www.eberlestock.com (http://www.eberlestock.com)

X2, on the Eberlestock, love it!!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/backpack.jpg

Perry

GoatGuy
10-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Eberlestock x1

Little bit small for my liking - usually full with gear strapped to the outside. Comfy though.

Bartons in Grande Prairie sells 'em.

The 'Hummer'
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
My Superday just arrived, PERFECT!!:biggrin: Just what the doctor ordered. And Thank You Ominecs Sports and todbartell for the speedy service:grin:. I hope to put it to good use, and soon.:wink:

shantz
10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
I have the Badlands Diablo and i love it so far. It has been on elk, moose and deer hunt so far and it has enough pockets to have everything you need and it seems pretty bullet proof so far. Packs out the 6x6 elk antlers on the first trip and was very comfortable.

spreerider
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
I use my dads old army surplus daypack in army green with brown trim, great backpack its been hunting for over 25 years now,
its starting to get a little bit tattered but still holds all our supplies and such, I am in the market for my own pack and saw a great pack that a friend got at coast mountain co op but they didn't have it when I was last there,
It had a form fitting mesh back that kept the pack 2" from your back and distributed the weight, it was also snag free and contoured to your back so it had a low profile, was originally for mountain biking but would make a great daypack for the woods,
I just like the mesh back and the snag free design anyone know the model and manufacturer of this pack?

The 'Hummer'
10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Jeez, I gotta' stop. I've got six now, including a couple of semi-antiques!! Keep this up and I'll have as many pack set ups as I have rifles.

killman
10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
I have a superday pack from Mr. Bartell as well. So far it is SUPER!

Hashiba
10-16-2008, 08:10 AM
You mean not many people still use a plain 'ol packframe?

I mean I don't even have a real bag on it, just a super-cheapo strapped on it to carry my flashlight, spare knife, small saw, rope, gamebags, etc...

If you rig your meat right you can have a pretty balanced load on it.

Tikka7mm
10-16-2008, 11:11 AM
j107 eberlestock...holds everything I need, gun, spotting scope, tripod, 2 litre bladder for juice or water. If I get too warm, it holds my extra clothing. It's quiet and durable and can carry a ton of weight comfortably.