PDA

View Full Version : Got my hounds

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Picked out/up my hounds a couple days ago.
Had 6 to choose from and only one off limits.
Put 'em on a couple barn cats (they're his pets, simmer down) and watching them was something else, never knew 4.5 month old pups could trail and tree a cat like that, wow.
In 5-6 mins they had that tree pretty much "ringed" lol

Daisey & Harlo

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/EastKootElkHunt08099.jpg

Daisey

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/EastKootElkHunt08094.jpg

Harlo

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/EastKootElkHunt08097.jpg

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Picked up my Marshall tracking system too, man those LED collars are bright, anybody that hits a travelling dog on the road at night has to be blind.
Pretty happy to finally have the little gaffers, excited to start training.
I have a feeling its going to be another good year for snow and if the cats are in the same areas i saw them last year, there's a LOT of 'em to chase :cool:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/EastKootElkHunt08101.jpg

The Dawg
10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Those are some great looking pups...cant wait to see the results of the training.

bayou
10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Nice looking dogs how about a pick of the pups from hounddogger how they looking.

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
They're looking awesome bayou. One has just really acquired a LOT of colour. Had to separate them because one would NOT let the other eat and he's lost a lot of weight. Once he gets it back on he's getting a fulll dose of tritronics at feeding time when I put them back together (was hoping the situation would solve itself on its own)
I'll take some tomorrow and try to get them up soon on this same thread.

Barracuda
10-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Congrats on picking up the hounds Cant wait to hear of the progress.

5 spike
10-02-2008, 07:46 PM
awsome looking pups, cant wait to see what they can do.

houndogger
10-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Good looking pups Andy8-) You got your work cut out for this winter:lol: Did you pickup the older female to?

Laurence_Erickson
10-02-2008, 10:51 PM
great looking pups,where did you pick them up at ?

bruin
10-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Nice pups. Should be a great season. Keep us posted on how they progress. That is definitely interesting with the barn cats. A good way to show their interest.

grumpy
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
looking good

SHAKER
10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Never too young to start them. I get them started on trainers at about 12 weeks. At 4 months they should be little distroyers by then.

Oh yeah just another useless fact I learned the other day...... House cats are 55% protien! So they do make a nutritious dog snack.:lol:

Jimsue
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I have always had Labs but I think I could get into hounds, where did you get the led collars? on a side note there has been two cougar sightings in my neck of the woods, Aldergrove border crossing.

Nice looking pups.

bosch
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
have you figured out a name for the male yet Andy?

dakotawinters
10-08-2008, 01:29 PM
whats up with the collars? how come they have light... ? and what are the two different collars?

BlacktailStalker
10-09-2008, 03:49 PM
In that pic they have their regular collar with I.D tag, tritronics shock collar and the lighted collar is a tracking collar. The LED lights are so they dont get smoked by a car if they hit a road and start traveling etc, pretty good feature for $30.
I've since piggybacked the tritronics with the Marshall tracking collar so they only wear 2 collars.

Brian; I named the male "Harlo"

They dug out last night. Had to put down 4 feet of field fence on the ground around the perimiter of their pen, tie it to the base of the retaining fence and cover it. Little buggers.
The good thing is that they went straight to where the cat had a litter of kittens a month ago and went ape shit trying to get the mom, ripped apart the wood pile and then must have got tired and ate half a bag of cat food for a snack lol

houndogger
10-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Ahh the fun is already starting. LOL Hey Andy did you bring the pup trainer from Alberta to?

BlacktailStalker
10-09-2008, 07:32 PM
No he figured I didnt need her Dave, but he said if I thought I did i could bring her still.
In all honesty I didnt want to have to pay the $ in fuel to get her back out there in year or so lol
He figures these pups will be better than her anyways...

Coincidently he had a guy begging to buy her (its his "worst" dog) and to name a price, so I made my mind on not taking her and he sold her over the phone right there. Must be a good dog for his worst one lol

bayou
10-10-2008, 06:09 AM
In that pic they have their regular collar with I.D tag, tritronics shock collar and the lighted collar is a tracking collar. The LED lights are so they dont get smoked by a car if they hit a road and start traveling etc, pretty good feature for $30.
I've since piggybacked the tritronics with the Marshall tracking collar so they only wear 2 collars.

Brian; I named the male "Harlo"

They dug out last night. Had to put down 4 feet of field fence on the ground around the perimiter of their pen, tie it to the base of the retaining fence and cover it. Little buggers.
The good thing is that they went straight to where the cat had a litter of kittens a month ago and went ape shit trying to get the mom, ripped apart the wood pile and then must have got tired and ate half a bag of cat food for a snack lol

One good reason why not to use house cats to train with can cause lots of problems if you live in a populated area.

Barracuda
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I dont think you can avoid that issue if the dog is used for running bobs and couger. The second the dog associates cat scent to fun be it domestic or wild you have set the wheels in motion.

sound like you are haveing fun with your hounds:cool:

BlacktailStalker
10-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Bayou are you a houndsmen or a cat lover lol ?
Cats are cats, big or small.
Ya cant wreck the urge to do what comes naturally to a hound if they're meant to do what you should hope they will do!
Unles you hope to pursue strictly bears.. Goood luck with that if so !

trigger
10-11-2008, 10:30 AM
andy,
those are some awesome looking hounds. sign me up for feburary.

good luck ob the elk hunt this week. my uncle is sooo stolked. thanks for taking him out man.

smack'em n stack'em

bayou
10-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Bayou are you a houndsmen or a cat lover lol ?
Cats are cats, big or small.
Ya cant wreck the urge to do what comes naturally to a hound if they're meant to do what you should hope they will do!
Unles you hope to pursue strictly bears.. Goood luck with that if so !

No dont label myself as a houdsman just a guy with a couple dogs that are of hound breeding. I dont see no need or reason to run house cats not what Im into, personally think its more for the benifit of the owner just like saying you have to knock down fur to them its all old school in my opinion. The dogs may want to chase any thing kinda up to you what you allow them to do.
I can run a cat bring the dogs home in the house and they will lay with the house cats.
Yes I like cats both domestic and wild and consider it a good day when we get a cougar up a tree and get a good picture and all make it out safely.

From reading your posts on the subject and guessing who the alberta fellow you get your info and dogs from can kinda see where this will all end up hope you dont end up on the wrong end of the law as well.
Good luck in your chases.

farside
10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
From reading your posts on the subject and guessing who the alberta fellow you get your info and dogs from can kinda see where this will all end up hope you dont end up on the wrong end of the law as well.

:confused:Andy on the wrong side of the law is kinda like Andy having a vegan lunch with the leader of the green party discussing the merits of a Texas Heart shot as opposed to a running broadside shot. Just not going to happen me thinks.:biggrin:

BTW - Nice lookin kids Andy. Go with an electric fence about 4 inches off the ground right at the base of the kennel. They will get tired of getting zapped.

Johnnybear
10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
One good reason why not to use house cats to train with can cause lots of problems if you live in a populated area.

The man said they dug out. He wasn't using house cat's as training. Geezzzz. They happened to pick up the house cat's trail as hounds should probably do. Re-read the post man.

Congrat's on the dogs Andy they are beauties!

bayou
10-14-2008, 05:54 AM
The man said they dug out. He wasn't using house cat's as training. Geezzzz. They happened to pick up the house cat's trail as hounds should probably do. Re-read the post man.

Congrat's on the dogs Andy they are beauties!

possible you should reread the posts cats were used as training and in this post says went straight there trying to get at the mother, this is why I said using house cats in populated areas can cause problems you train them and allow them to run house cats they want to just like all dogs. Maybe they wouldnt have dug out otherwise.

SHAKER
10-14-2008, 08:01 AM
possible you should reread the posts cats were used as training and in this post says went straight there trying to get at the mother, this is why I said using house cats in populated areas can cause problems you train them and allow them to run house cats they want to just like all dogs. Maybe they wouldnt have dug out otherwise.

That sounds like what hounds do! Expert escape artists and hunt'n fools. I actually like them think'n on ways to get out. Could save their hide out in the bush some day. As far as runn'n trainers, COOL! Shows they got some determination and are more interested in hunt'n then nose'n threw the garbage can.

By the way.....love those LED collars! Too bad quick track don't have that option.

BlacktailStalker
10-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Bayou you're entitled to your opinions and I've got better things to do than argue with a faceless name on the internet but if you want to stand up and call me out saying I'm doing something illegal and accusing other people of doing the same, at least have the gonads to do it in person.
There's a reason you got booted from the watering hole, keep it up.

Wolfman
10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Gorgeous dogs, man.

Though in that very first picture you posted they seem to have this look that says: "You're lucky you aren't a cat or you'd be next!" ;-) ;-)

Good luck with those beauties!

Wolfman

bayou
10-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Bayou you're entitled to your opinions and I've got better things to do than argue with a faceless name on the internet but if you want to stand up and call me out saying I'm doing something illegal and accusing other people of doing the same, at least have the gonads to do it in person.
There's a reason you got booted from the watering hole, keep it up.
BTS
Im not arguing at all and if you read I said hope you dont end on the wrong side of the law never said you did anything illegal and if Im correct on the albertan then yes he has been convicted of poaching or atleast shooting a sheep in aclosed area lying to the COs and judge I consider poaching its easy to see in the court reports.
And if I get kicked off a hunting site for being against poaching then it isnt really a hunting site in my mind.
Like I said before good luck in your chases and congrats on the elk.

BlacktailStalker
10-16-2008, 06:12 PM
K lets put this to sleep I felt the cat comments were pointless, the cats are pets, and its just an evaluation technique to see if their interest is there at a young age.
Insinuating ANY possibility of me hunting/engaging in unlawful activity with my dogs is out of line regardless of your intent.
It'd be like me saying "I hope you dont end up pit lamping tonight"

Co's, poaching etc etc regarding other people are further irrelevant, especially considering I didn't disclose where my dogs came from.

The thread is "Got my hounds' and I was stoked to have them and share them with people as other people have done with me.

Thanks for all the other kind comments, wolfman etc
For now on I'll stick to the hound forums, something I was told before to do for these reasons, but never took the advice.

twoSevenO
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
nice lookin hounds .... let 'em chase the cats they should be able to climb, and if not then may god have mercy on their soul :)

My old man used to own german hunting terriers (jagdterriers) for foxes, trained them the same way from an early age. Would make little tunnels out back and stick cats in there behind cages to simulate a flushing a fox :D

Mr. Dean
10-17-2008, 01:25 AM
I'm thinking that my next dog may be a hound.... Them ones are sure purrdy. G'luck with your endeavours!