PDA

View Full Version : Moose from a Treestand!

Ambush
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Called this bull in and shot him at 45 yards from a treestand. My first achery moose! I typed out the whole story several times and then lost it while trying to attach pics. I'll try again later when my two typing fingers heal.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/041.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10624&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

irishbandit1
09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
:-PFantastic bull,congrats!

huntwriter
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Now that right there is one heck of a nice bull. Congratulations and keep them fingers healing fast so we can read the story.

Treestand hunting will work just about for any game animal and the beauty of it is that animals never will expect any danger coming from above so they do not tend to look up.

Freshtracks
09-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Great looking bull. Congrats on the 1st. Now waiting the story.

Maybe also want to throw some input on your calling techinque in the posted up thread.

Tikka7mm
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Awesome! Congrats on a dandy.

One Shot
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Congrats. Nice looking moose.:smile:

09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Great bull there Stringfling.

tomahawk
09-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Awesome.........

kgs
10-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Boy am I freak'n jealous that a fantastic moose. Great job.

J_T
10-01-2008, 04:25 AM
Congrats. What a thrill. Hope you had help taking care of it and getting it out. :razz:

Would love to hear the story when you find time.

Robinhood
10-01-2008, 04:33 AM
Nice going SF - its shaping up to be a pretty good season for you already.

Cedarstrip
10-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Beauty!
W'ere leaving in 3 weeks and I'm already having a hard time sleeping.
congrats.

Blainer
10-01-2008, 06:35 AM
That is a fine looking moose.
Good on ya.

BiG Boar
10-01-2008, 06:51 AM
I dont beleive you until a story is posted. Most people dont post pictures and we dont believe them, now we wont believe you unless you post the story. Sweet bull if that is really what happened though.

The Hermit
10-01-2008, 06:53 AM
WOW! Please let us know the story and don't forget to add in the equipment list. Fantastic!!

Ron.C
10-01-2008, 07:14 AM
awesome,

taking animals from a treestand is exciting stuff, especially something like a moose! Good job

jrjonesy
10-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Equipment list! I second that! Love to hear what you used and how it worked.

Great job on an Archery bull! Is it your first Moose with the bow?

quadrakid
10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
quite an accomplishment,congrats,nice looking bull

Sunny
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
is great I wish I can hunt too

The 'Hummer'
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Excellent guy, congrats & well done. I'm envious. All I've got from my treestand, so far, is fresh air, sun shine and a good view.;-)

Sideofabarn
10-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Awesome archery bull there fella. Like someone else said, I'm looking forward to the apparatus list, mostly the broadhead used.

Mr. Dean
10-01-2008, 09:44 AM
FREAKIN' COOL!
A heart pumper ferrr surrre

Ambush
10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/027.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10623&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)
So here's the story.
I went to my chosen spot Friday night and picked a tree that gave me the view I wanted. I hung strips of cotton cloth soaked with mare's pee in each direction from my tree. No matter which way a bull came in, he would smell one these first, and head to it. I could see them all from my vantage point. I could see 40 yards behind me and to my right. Off to my left I could see 100 yards. directly in front was a shallow, grassy swamp that streched 75 yards long and about 5 yards wide.

Early Saturday morning, after freshening the scent strips, I climbed my tree and waited for light. I cow called about every half hour. About 9:00, I saw a moose just inside the trees. I thought I saw horns but never could tell for sure. That moose didn't respond to calls and just left quietly. I left at 11:00 AM.

Saturdy evening was quiet, seemed like there wasn't a moose in the world. Sunday is church and family for me, so the critters get a rest too.

Monday morning I freshened my strips again by headlamp and climbed up. Same routine, called every half hour. At 7:30, I thought I heard a bull way off in the distance, but it's very still and it could have been a dog barking far away. 5 minutes later I heard a bull grunt about 300 yards away. I let go a cow call and he started "glunking" and he's COMING FAST!!

In a few more minutes I saw horns just off to the side of the swamp. He hung up there. He was waiting for a signal from his lady-love. I gave one quiet, real whiney cow call over my shoulder and he was hooked! Man, I was pumped!!

The bull immediately stepped out into the swamp and came "glunking" and splashing straight to me. I had a scent strip at 40 yards and he stopped just the other side of it and started nosing the air. It was decision time!

If he came further, he would be head on until he was a few feet from my tree. I had just dropped a wind puff and it had drifted straight down, so my stink would be all around my tree. I didn,t want him that close.

I ranged him at 45 yards and waited. The bull was still sniffing around. When he started to turn I came to full draw. He went broadside and when his leg went forward and I released. The hit was perfect and when he turned away I could see about 8 inches of arrow protruding! That meant there was twenty inches of arrow in his lungs!

The bull trotted to the far end of the swamp and just as he hit the trees I called several times. He stopped, turned my way and stood looking. Then his rack dipped out of sight and all was quiet.

I just sat in my stand for the next 45 minutes reliving it and thinking about how blessed I was. I had a coffee and packed up my gear.

The bull was lying right where I last saw him. He hadn't gone 30 yards.

I've shot a lot of moose, mostly immatures, {'cause LEH SUCKS} but this was my first archery moose and I can't remember the last time I was that excited about seeing a bull come in!!

The Spitfire broadhead was between the ribs and the hide on the far side and still completly intact. We've had nothing but fantastic results with these heads.

Bow: Mathews Drenalin @ 70 lbs, 29"
Spot Hogg SDP sight
NAP Spitfire broadheads
Beeman carbon arrows, 485 grains finished weight.
Swarovski 10X32 EL's
Nikon Archers Choice range finder
Lone Wolf climbing treestand [an awesome stand!]
I have four tree stands and this is fast becoming my all time favourite.

He's 43" outside spread.

endtimerwithabow
10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
wow what a story I can feel the rush just from reading! I cant wait my bro and dad are comin up from the coast (dad n i have a LEH shared hunt for moose around here)!! very nice bull. I hope that I am blessed with tagn a moose!

mark
10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Thats an awesome bull! Archery too, congrads!

The Hermit
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Cool!! Thanks for the story! Broadheads at 100 or 125gr?

Ambush
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Broadheads at 100 or 125gr?

100 grain broadheads, 1 1/2" diameter. Love the big hole they make!

bruin
10-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Beauty bull, great to smack him with a bow. Congrats.

junior
10-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Thats cool, congrats

Steppenwolf
10-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Congrats, nice moose!

huntwriter
10-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Great story StringFling. Having never hunted moose, but would like to, I am pleased to hear that whitetail tactics work on them too. Coming from a whitetail deer hunting background I was never much into hiking around all day long. Give me a treestand any day and I am happy. Your story taught me something that I will remember in the future.

NAP Spitfire, like all NAP broadheads, are of exceptional quality. I use the Spitfire and the Thuderheads in 125 grain and I am very happy with both of them.

Lone Wolf treestands have come a long way since Andrae D'Acquisto started the company. At the beginning he had one model with a very small platform. Then gradually he added new models with larger platforms, me nagging him about it might have had something to do with it. Today Lone Wolf produces one of best, safest and lightest treestands available on the market. I am glad you like the stand.

bochunk2000
10-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Great Bull!!!! I am in envy.
Steve