PDA

View Full Version : Does camo even work?

Casagrande
09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
After reading the camo recommendation thread, I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are if the stuff even works.

Shooter
09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
might help you not get scoped as often.

Gateholio
09-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Who cares? It looks cool!!:tongue:

Camo has it's place. It does break up your shape, although so does plaid, like Elmer Fudd.

It's almost mandatory for coyote and turkey hunting, totally irrelevant to upland bird hunting, and can come in handy for big game hunting, although your movement and scent are always going to be more important.

Camo is 100% necessary when road hunting, beer in hand.:tongue:

martyonthewater
09-25-2008, 08:15 PM
for me it's a toss-up between being missed on the landscape by the human eye or so obnoxiously blaze it would take a total idiot to shoot at me. I prefer to not give the idiot the benefit of the doubt. I do however usually have some blaze on rattling antlers and backpack and it's automatic on a kills headgear when packin

Mr. Dean
09-26-2008, 12:28 AM
IMO I need dedicated clothes to go hunting in... Something warm or cool, comfy and quiet, with LOTS of pockets. My normal clothes don't meet all the criteria, camo clothes usually do,,, because they are designed FOR people that hunt.

It's a no-brainer. They DO work.

Mr. Dean
09-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Also.... Last year I started too use phosphate free detergents. I *seem* to get closer to deer now.

troutseeker
09-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Of course it works! Look at how many hunters buy it, clothing companies are absolutely sure it works...

M.Dean
09-26-2008, 04:54 AM
I think it works, camo out with just your face showing, the deer will see your smiling face and run, you can get close, but not real close. Now wear a camo balaclava and be down wind, you can get a hell of a lot closer, i've done it lots. I have no idea if deer are colour blind, never had the chance to ask one, but i know from experence that they can see you real good if you have jeans on and your storm rider! Try it your self, don't believe every thing you read, believe what works for you!

jrjonesy
09-26-2008, 08:20 AM
I agree it works but like Gatehouse said, I think MOVEMENT and scent are your biggest enemies.

I think that as far as patterns are concerned, the old camo patterns and some of the new shadow type patterns are better for breaking up your outline. Not paying attention to my own logic however, I have mostly hardwoods, realtree, etc, etc, and realistically I think the patterns are too intricate and from a distance they just blend into one color. Having the right camo pattern for the type of terrain your hunting will also make a big difference. Unfortunately we can't all afford to own that sort of a selection.

Ron.C
09-26-2008, 08:39 AM
In my experience while bowhunting, I am sure that the fact that I was wearing camo helped me blend into my surroundings and hide my movement while drawing my bow enough to get drawn on deer, and on a couple occasions at ranges ubder 10 yards on the ground. You need to know how to use camo though. If you set up and skyline yourself in a tree or on the ground, camo won't help. Camo alone is not a cure all but combined with watching your scent /wind and eliminating all unatural noises, in my opinion is crucial to getting closer to game .

harbinger
09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
the only camo thats going to work for you right now is vertical 2x4 wall studs with a smattering of pink insulation and the odd black plumbing pipe. Throw in some concrete colored pants and you will be invisible!:-P

Stone Sheep Steve
09-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I prefer the more open patterns...with quite a bit of light patches.

Recently, I had a 6x5 bull elk raking the ground at 7 yds from me:shock:. While lack of movement and the right wind are vital, I'm pretty sure that the camp helped at least a bit(including covering my face).

SSS

elkdom
09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Who cares? It looks cool!!:tongue:

Camo has it's place. It does break up your shape, although so does plaid, like Elmer Fudd.

It's almost mandatory for coyote and turkey hunting, totally irrelevant to upland bird hunting, and can come in handy for big game hunting, although your movement and scent are always going to be more important.

Camo is 100% necessary when road hunting, beer in hand.:tongue:

scent! movement! and noise! three far more important factors than CAMO clothes, but it looks COOL! don't it now??

Casagrande
09-26-2008, 10:36 AM
the only camo thats going to work for you right now is vertical 2x4 wall studs with a smattering of pink insulation and the odd black plumbing pipe. Throw in some concrete colored pants and you will be invisible!:-POh by the way, you're doing the electrical finishing on my house and your rate just went down SIGNIFICANTLY.:idea: P.S. I can't wait til my boy is old enough to come knocking around your house looking for one of your daughters!:razz:

Huey
09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
scent! movement! and noise! three far more important factors than CAMO clothes, but it looks COOL! don't it now??
I understand that it is pertenant to be perfectly camoed when road hunting... but is it ok if my brand new $800 sitka outfit Doesn't match with the new camoed truck seat covers, floor mats and beer sleeve? I don't want to spook anything.

Chuck
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Personally, I've considered it a fad in the past. But then I got thinking that women have used it for centuries to snag men. Women can't be wrong.....can they?

Sitkaspruce
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
IMO I need dedicated clothes to go hunting in... Something warm or cool, comfy and quiet, with LOTS of pockets. My normal clothes don't meet all the criteria, camo clothes usually do,,, because they are designed FOR people that hunt.

It's a no-brainer. They DO work.

Ditto for me. I buy the camo because it is the only clothes that will work while out hunting. If I had my choice I would rather have my Riverswest clothing in gray/black or tan. I usually weat camo pants, but I always wear my West Coast Tuxedo:smile::razz:. I just cannot wear a jacket, unless I am stand hunting, which I am trying to get into.........

Cheers

SS

johnes50
09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
I think it helps a bit. In 2006, I came over a ridge and a 3 point busted me. He was about a 130 yards away. He stared at me for a good 10-15 minutes and I didn't move a muscle. He began to feed and I wery wery slowwwwly managed to aim and take a shot. A picture of him is in my gallery. I think the camo helped, especially the camo HBC hat.:smile:

I was having lunch once while hunting with a buddy and after a few minutes a bow hunter materializes 50 yards away. We never saw him cause he was in full camo. It worked for him cause he said he was standing in full view.

I wouldn't buy camo equipment though. Too easy to lose. Bright yellow works for me.

spreerider
09-26-2008, 09:16 PM
i wear my wool sweater in tan/grey and dark tan pants and havent had a problem yet,
I think noise and scent are more a problem than camo as deer rarly see me but crunch a leaf and they see you right away.

quadrakid
09-26-2008, 10:10 PM
i believe my camo helps out. i think the most important thing for me when bowhunting blacktails up close is to have my face and hands camo,d. think of how often you spot deer by seeing that small patch of white that is out of place. i,m sure they see our face and hands much the same.

Cedarstrip
09-27-2008, 06:23 AM
IMO... scent and movement are key. I've been almost stepped on by another hunter while sitting amongst some ferns. I was wearing darker clothes, but not camo. His nose obviously wasn't as efficient as a deer's, but he did not see me at all. I whistled softly once and he stopped. Whistled again and he still didn't spot me. Almost crapped himself when I stood up less than 10' in front of him!! (had his shotgun slung so I was in no danger from him being too trigger happy)
The camo wear is nice that it is designed for hunting and usually good quality stuff, but I do wish they would make some equal products in plain brown or khaki. I don't always want to look like a 'Bubba'.

Tikka7mm
09-27-2008, 02:29 PM
i believe my camo helps out. i think the most important thing for me when bowhunting blacktails up close is to have my face and hands camo,d. think of how often you spot deer by seeing that small patch of white that is out of place. i,m sure they see our face and hands much the same.

Good point. I think it works as well and it's comfy to boot.

BCRiverBoater
09-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I am a believer that scent and movement are to key things that spook an animal. Colors are not nearly as important. In a lot of places hunter orange is used and animals are still taken with bow and rifle.

What tells me it is not real important most old school guides do not wear it. They are more into Wranglers and jean jackets etc. No one stalks and calls in more game then guides and outfitters. If they can get animals on a daily basis then camo must not be a must.

Like mentioned earlier though camo products tend to be the best outdoor gear. Clothes intended for hunters in wet, cold and windy weather are usually camo. The good quiet waterproof clothes with handy features are 90% camo. I believe that is why it sells so good. Not because of the color but because of the functionality.

09-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes it works. However is there a need for it. like many of you have said, scent, movement, and noise are 3 of the most critical factors....I mean really did our grandfathers hunt with Mossy Oak or Realtree hardwoods? probably not. They most likely had wool, be it plaid or grey/tan.

So take a look....

Kinda hard to see this guy

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/katydownunder/Forum/DSC_0106_filtered.jpg

even this is kinda cool if it's real
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_F-16_in_KA2-Desert_lg.jpg

or this
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-07/multicam-camouflage.jpg

However, I have a lot of camo gear and find myself venturing towards that part of the store because it looks cool.

dougal
09-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Last year I walked into an open field with camo on and got so close to two does and a fawn buck and could have had them my bare hands.
I was sold ........sadly I didnt have a leh I almost cried

Evolution
09-27-2008, 11:26 PM
A friend of mine brought up a good point when I was displaying new my $1000 scent suit to him. He says that in nature all predators have two forward facing eyes, and all prey have eyes on the sides of their heads. He thinks that the actual camo pattern only works on hunters not animals but that perhaps a full suit with a face covering may confuse them long enough to nock and fly an arrow. I am very careful with my wind and scent. I also use uv brightener free soap to wash my hunting gear. I read a artical about deer vision, it said that they only actually can see a yellow and blue uv spectrum, and that any regular laundry detergent has UV brighteners that highlight those particular light frequencies.
Consequently all man made green colors are fabricated using blue and yellow dye blends so even though I am guilty of a few grand worth of camo gear I wonder too if it really works. And all my arrows have a bright yellow index feather..lol