PDA

View Full Version : Roos elk

Tuffcity
09-20-2008, 10:48 AM
So I talk my friend Gord into taking up archery last year. He starts out with decades old, borrowed gear and quickly progresses to the point where his gear isn't keeping up to his shooting ability. After looking around at newer, used gear I suggest that he buy new at what ever level he can afford.

He takes a hard look around his work shop, sells off a few items he hasn't used in years as well as a couple of firearms and the next thing he's walking out of Bucky's with a brand new Hoyt Katera and all the fixin's. (Tried to entice him into trad but... :) )

Shortly thereafter his yard turns into a ethe-foam petting zoo. I have never seen any one practice so diligently for months on end.

Now, like a lot of us, Gord has been applying for an island elk LEH since time immemorial but this year he decides to try the Campbell River archery zone. Fast forward a month or so and the day the draws hit the 'net I type in his hunter number and the covetted "2001" shows up as successful for him. He still can't believe it until the paper shows up in his mail.

He also forces me to go and help as, apparently, it's my fault that he's now hooked on bow hunting. :)

Gord does his homework, we get a mutual friend who lives in Campbell River (and had the same draw 2 years ago) to have a little look around pre-season, and Gord goes up and does a scout trip prior to as well.

Opening morning and there is a cow within range. Too early in the hunt to tag out on a cow. Our strategy is to have me set up and call about 30 yards or so behind Gord and on the evening of day 3 I called out a 5 point. The bull came out of the bush about 800 yards away and we get to watch him all the way as he comes through an old cut block towards me like he was on a string . Gord's in front and to one side of me and when the elk makes the mistake of stopping 9 yards broadside to Gord I could hear that unmistakable sound of arrow impacting animal. Up to the fletching in tight to the shoulder

The bull turned and bolted but a quick couple of cow calls stopped him in his tracks. Unfortunately bush obstructed a second standing broadside follow up shot for Gord. The bull bolts after a few seconds but I guess all Gord's years of trap shooting paid off as he sank another arrow just in behind the shoulder. A moving, 35 yarder!

We watched as the bull made it about 85 yards and piled up.

It's been a while since I've seen any one that excited... oh wait that was me. But Gord was pretty happy too. :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/elk1a.jpg

ElkMasterC
09-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Sweet! Nothing like calling 'em in...as I recall.... :roll:

Nice bull and a good story. Congrats to both of you!

huntwriter
09-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Great story and picture, there is nothing like calling a critter close for a bow shoot. Congratulations to both of you for a job well done.

Onesock
09-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks alot for getting more guys involved in bowhunting Richard. It is hard enough to get a tag now and you have more guys doing it. What are you thinking? Bowhunters are all selfish!!! It appears Gord will be hooked for life. Great bull you got there, congrats to both of you!!!!.
Envious big time. Once again congrats on a great bull done the hard way.

Avalanche123
09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Well done and what a great story. He is hooked now!

greatwhitehunter
09-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Congrats, awesome!

Ambush
09-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I'd give alot to be taking a picture like that!! Can't think of a better way to start your archery career!!! Congratulations.

Tikka7mm
09-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Right on! Congrats to both of you! That's a great looking bull.

rocksteady
09-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Nice bull, great story...Any idea of weight???

kako99
09-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Nice job guys!

Tuffcity
09-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Any idea of weight???

We figure that the bull went close to 1000# on the hoof. He was 554#'s hanging at the butcher.

RC

kennyg826
09-20-2008, 10:06 PM
good work guys. hard work and persistance pays off.

Robinhood
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow Tuff (and Gord) that's quite an accomplishment. Congrats to you both for being part of a memorable harvest!

PS I'll use that story to help convince my rifle hunting friends to take up the bow....

junior
09-21-2008, 09:52 PM
nicly done gents, you'll be hard pressed to top that in the future

Blainer
09-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Great accomplishment!