PDA

View Full Version : NS duck toller

Greenhead
09-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Anyone have one? My buddy is looking at getting one and I know nothing about these dogs! He wants to duck hunt with it. I am a die hard Lab fan and can't argue about something I know nothing about!
Thanks,
GH

sapper
09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
We considered one a few years back before we became parents. They're great dogs. There's a user on CGN with the nom de plume "toller" that can tell you lots about them. He's had a number of them and we've "chatted" about them.

Crazy_Farmer
09-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I think Porcupine whos a member on here has hunted with them for awhile. I was very close to almost buying one but my brother and sister both bought new dogs so it would of been too much on our household when I'd be at work.

Plincker
09-18-2008, 09:13 PM
My neighbour has one, he doesn't hunt it and it's just your typical house dog that yaps alot and want Alot of attention. I have heard that they're great hunting dogs and it's unfortunate that their's isn't trained for hunting, the poor thing gets bored just sitting around all day. It actually took off up the Mt. for 3 days following hikers and got lost. Luckily he found his way home.
So if you train it well and exercises them alot then they're great dogs.
Just my 2cents

Dirty
09-18-2008, 09:47 PM
There is one at Art's Nursery in Port Kells and all it wants to do is fetch. I thought it was a really cool dog. It would put the ball on your foot and wait for you to throw it. It liked people and was really calm. They are neat little dogs.

campking
09-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I have one and they are great dogs, when trained properly in my opinion are one of the best bird dogs going. Your buddy should be prepared to spend a lot of time with the dog they are very demanding of your time and require exercise on a daily basis as do most retrievers.

porcupine
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
We have two Tollers (6 year old female and 11 month old male) at present and have had tollers for over twenty years. Send me a persomal message if you want more info.

Here is a picture of our older dog Roux.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/Retreiving2Dec04.jpg
________
W116 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W116)

NEEHAMA
09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
i had two, first one was a great dog, second was a lemon.

only problem for me was the long hair took alot of work after each duck outing. i went to a lab and find they are easyier to clean.

Iron Glove
09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
We have a 6 year old Toller, daughter has a 2 year old Chocolate Lab. No comparison for brains - the Toller has one !! The two are going to be my Daughter's flower girls at tomorrow's wedding.
Ours was not bought for hunting but as a family dog and she's great. I've thought about using her for Grouse hunting but she's gun shy.
They do need a bit more activity than a Lab but not near as much as a Border Collie. We do agility with ours.
The coat, which is double layered can be a real problem with matting and burrs, if you are worried about it get a short haired breed.
They tend to be retriever crazy and love the water. When they do the "Toller Scream" it's quite the unique sound.
They are real thinkers and somewhat independent. Very non agressive.
Check out the Toller Club of Canada site. Read the 10 reasons why you want or don't want a Toller. Choose a breeder carefully.
For ducks, you get a retriever that "Tolls" the ducks in to you - you then pop up, blast away then the Toller goes into retrieve mode.
They are becoming very popular now and a true Canadian Breed.

Kasomor
11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I own two tollers who both hunt and run Hunt Tests. The older one is Porcupine Roux's sister.8-)

They are smart, smart, smart. A friend just finished his AKC OTCH on his MH toller who has quailified 3x for the MHN.

Buy from a breeder who actually works their dogs and can prove it with titles or pictures of an actual hunt AND get relaible refrences on their dogs.

As with any retriever a dog that retrieves a ball mindlessly does not mean it will retieve a duck in the conditions that we hunt in.

Good luck.
Kasomor

Everett
11-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Back home in Nova Scotia we always called them Yarmouth Tollers

Ian F.
11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
This breed has significant issues with PRA, make sure you do your home work on the parents and grandparents.

They are great dogs, totally different then labs in all respects.

Ian

Greenhead
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the info gang, What is PRA?
GH

Ian F.
11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Progressive Retinal Atrophy - basically the dog goes blind, and it doesn't start until they are a couple of years old. So from a training/breeding perspective you don't know until after you have put a lot into the dog. Pretty sure there is a genetic test now and most want parents and grandparents free.

Ian

Iron Glove
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Yep, PRA is tested for by all reputable breeders, there really is no excuse now for a Toller to have PRA.
To the best of my knowledge its impossible to get a non registered Toller around here so stick to a reputable breeder and you'll be OK.
Check out the Toller club of Canada site - lots of info there.