PDA

View Full Version : No Elk, But..

Ambush
09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/0074.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10523&limit=recent)Elk wern't working out for me, so on the last morning I took this buck. Not big, but a palmated 4X5 with one little extra sticker on the left. There's a picture in the gallery that show's it better.

Robinhood
09-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Nice buck SF! Looks like you did alright without the elk.:razz:

Mr. Dean
09-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Nuttin wrong with him. Nice deer

Allen50
09-17-2008, 11:50 PM
thats a good buck with a bow, nice work,,,

tomahawk
09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Any animal you take with a bow is a trophy!

Ron.C
09-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Nice deer, good job

rocksteady
09-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Need the whole tale of the hunt, not just a picture.....

Treestand, ground blind, spot and stalk?????

5, 10, 20, 40, 79 yard shot????

Complete pass through??

Don't tease me, I need details...

Flingin' Sticks
09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
you're shaping up to have one helluva season so far. First a stone, now a nice mulie. congrats

Robinhood
09-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Well said Rocksteady...

Bow Walker
09-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Here ya go.....good looking buck there!

If he's still in velvet why are the leaves turning? Seems odd.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0074.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10523&limit=recent)

mcrae
09-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Awesome job that's a great deer!

Mr. Dean
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Here ya go.....good looking buck there!

If he's still in velvet why are the leaves turning? Seems odd.

Yeh.... Me too.

Look at the skin on that deers face. All saggy and wrinkled. I've been told/read that the old, OLD boys sometimes don't bother rubbing (?)

It's a very interesting animal..... Wish I could see it in person.

09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Very nice buck....what's the story??

ThinAir
09-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Beauty buck Stringfling. It seems the bucks were in velvet longer this year.
I was up there this weekend and found probably 1/4 of the bucks in velvet still.
Seems longer than normal to me.

Ambush
09-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Yes he's an old deer. Probably less bone on his head this year than last year. This is near the Halfway river and it's been hot and dry most of the summer. It's froze hard there several mornings also, so I think the poplars have just had enough.
Haven't been seeing many deer there this year. The farmers claim it's a combination of hard winters and wolves. The elk seem to be "call shy" right in this small area too. They bugle mid morning a little then shout up.
I spotted several does and a few bucks, this being one of them. They got antsy before I could get within range and scittered into the bushline.
I was on a semi open slope so I sat down and just did some gentle deer talk. In a few minutes some does got curious and came for a look, bringing three bucks tagging along. Their curiosity eventualy brought two does within 45 yards and this buck just behind them. When the does cleared I let one go. It passed right through. The buck scooted about ten yards and stood facing away with his head hung down. I thought he was going to tip over right there.
Then he just started walking down the hill and into the bush about 80 yards away! I waited two hours, which was fairly easy, 'cause by now a few elk were lipping off above me. That kept me entertained.
I followed an easy blood trail to the bush because he was leaking out both sides. Scanning from the edge with binos, I found him 25 yards inside.
Of course my camera batteries were dead, so I ended up taking some stills with my video camera. Poor quality, but that's all I had. Then on to gutting and dragging. It turned out that I only got one lung because he must have been quartering away when I thought he was square braod-side.
Probably half the deer I saw there were still in velvet or looking raggy.

Mathews Drenalin set at 70#
Spott Hogg 7 pin sight
Beeman carbon arrows
NAP Spitfire expandables

I don't want to start a debate, but I've seen quite a few animals killed with these broadheads, and they have been devastating and worked flawlessly.

BearSniper
09-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Nice deer.:wink:

Enjoyed your story.

Those arrows are obviously efficient enough. Quite effective since it passed through.

Congratulations.

Mr. Dean
09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
... No idea where the halfway river is.

No matter. I just thought it interesting that the deer I bagged was just starting to drop his velvet on July 28th. It's interesting to see the behavioural/metamorphic differences amongst locales.

That said; I see a few more pics of velvet too. :cool:

huntwriter
09-19-2008, 07:10 AM
...NAP Spitfire expandables

I don't want to start a debate, but I've seen quite a few animals killed with these broadheads, and they have been devastating and worked flawlessly.
No need to worry, the NAP Spitfire is a great broadhead with a long track record of solid and deadly performance on deer and larger game.

Great looking buck and good story, plan A didn’t work so you switched to plan B.

Tikka7mm
09-19-2008, 07:53 AM
too bad about the Elk but that's a nice looking buck StringFling.... congrats!

hunter1947
10-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Very nice buck to get with a bow ,congrats SF.