PDA

View Full Version : what kind of tripod do you guys use for your spotting scopes?

Tikka7mm
09-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I have been having a heck of a time trying to figure out what kind of tripod to buy for my new spotting scope - 15x45x60 Bushnell Elite. I'd obviously like something small and light and I'd also like to be able to keep some money in my wallet. I'm not against spending 100 bucks or so on a half decent tripod but I don't need to spend more money to get carbon fibre etc. If you guys that use spotting scopes could give me some advice or feedback on your experience I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

bigwhiteys
09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
If $100 is your budget then the Manfrotto 718 SHB is recommended by many here. I went with it and it was $100 bucks for me on eBay. It's a nice lower end tripod if you want my opinion.

If you decide to get this Tripod make sure it's coming with the METAL quick release base plate instead of the plastic POS it usually comes with. I paid $30 for the metal base plate from a photo store in Ontario.

The plastic one can cause you issues when it breaks. Like having to send your scope in for warranty repair!

Carl

brotherjack
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I use one of those cheap-o wal-mart ones. Plastic and aluminum are very light, and if I tear it up, I can buy another one for $25. It doesn't pan very smoothly, but mostly when using the spotter, I just need to get lined up and then lock it down and stare into it. The tripod makes a nice stable gun-rest too.

Tikka7mm
09-17-2008, 05:26 PM
If $100 is your budget then the Manfrotto 718 SHB is recommended by many here. I went with it and it was $100 bucks for me on eBay. It's a nice lower end tripod if you want my opinion.

If you decide to get this Tripod make sure it's coming with the METAL quick release base plate instead of the plastic POS it usually comes with. I paid $30 for the metal base plate from a photo store in Ontario.

The plastic one can cause you issues when it breaks. Like having to send your scope in for warranty repair!

Carl

Thanks Carl,

I was actually contemplating buying either the 718SHB or the 718B until I read some negative feedback on this model. I was considering the 718B because it extends a little longer; originally I was thinking I might use the tripod for my DSLR as well; it's only 3 ounces heavier. Having said this, I read that the adjustments knobs are plastic and they can become brittle in cold weather and break very easily so I decided against it. Are the adjustment knobs on the legs metal or plastic? It's good to know that metal is an option for the quick release plate. Do you remember the photo store in Ontario that you purchased the plate from?

Tikka7mm
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I use one of those cheap-o wal-mart ones. Plastic and aluminum are very light, and if I tear it up, I can buy another one for $25. It doesn't pan very smoothly, but mostly when using the spotter, I just need to get lined up and then lock it down and stare into it. The tripod makes a nice stable gun-rest too.

Thanks Brother Jack,

I haven't checked out Walmart. I'd kind of like it to pan smoothly as this is what I intend on doing with it most of the time....25 bucks is a pretty cheap deal though.

Tikka7mm
09-17-2008, 08:52 PM
37 views and only 4 replies and two of them are from me....c'mon guys help me out a little. I'm not asking for your secret spot or anything...lol!

bruin
09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I use a Manfrotto for a swaro 60x. However for my lighter baush and lomb elite i use a much lighter flimsier tripod.

Gateholio
09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Probably have that many views since people want the same info you do!!:wink:

Anyway, Bigwhiteys nailed it...X2

Tikka7mm
09-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Bruin,

Thanks for the reply! I assume that you use the swaro most of the time? Do you know your minimum folded height/maximum extended height of your manfrotto? I'm guessing that glassing is usually done at about 20-24"?

Tikka7mm
09-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Probably have that many views since people want the same info you do!!:wink:

Anyway, Bigwhiteys nailed it...X2

Thanks for the reassurance Gatehouse! I was starting to get a little self conscience there for a second...lol. I'm definitely leaning toward the Manfrotto 718SHB. It seems like the best deal for the $$$ in my novice opinion. I'm just wondering if the guys that have used them have had any issue with the plastic becoming brittle and breaking?

brotherjack
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks Brother Jack,

I haven't checked out Walmart. I'd kind of like it to pan smoothly as this is what I intend on doing with it most of the time....25 bucks is a pretty cheap deal though.

Well, if you want smooth panning, the one I got at wal-mart probably isn't what you're looking for. It's a plastic-on-aluminum friction lock system - it's not totally awful, but it's definitely somewhat jerky on the adjustments. I dunno what it weighs, but I don't even notice it in my pack - it's very light.

Gateholio
09-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the reassurance Gatehouse! I was starting to get a little self conscience there for a second...lol. I'm definitely leaning toward the Manfrotto 718SHB. It seems like the best deal for the $$$ in my novice opinion. I'm just wondering if the guys that have used them have had any issue with the plastic becoming brittle and breaking?

Manfretto tripods are good gear..the "plastic" parts are just as strong as any of the plastic parts on any tripod.

bigwhiteys
09-18-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm definitely leaning toward the Manfrotto 718SHB. It seems like the best deal for the $$$ in my novice opinion. I'm just wondering if the guys that have used them have had any issue with the plastic becoming brittle and breaking?

The plastic snaps for the tripod legs are pretty strong. I have not had an issue with those yet (I've used in like -1/0 degrees -not too cold) The only problem I've had is that POS plastic piece breaking and my new Zeiss 85mm taking a tumble... On it's way to Germany as we speak.

I bought the metal base plate from Parsons Photo Source. They have a website if you google them. Likely any Manfrotto dealer will sell the same metal quick release base plate.

Is it a lifetime tripod....? Not a chance. Manfrotto didn't build these with hunters in mind. Mine will likely be replaced in another year or so with one of these guys http://www.outdoorsmans.com/ tripods. They are the best for hunting abuse in my own opinion... But they are $$$$

Carl

Brambles
09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
I have the Slik 613CF, its not cheap by manfrotto718 standards but its lighter and very sturdy. Quality is excellent and I like the twistlock legs better than the clamp style

Tikka7mm
09-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Manfretto tripods are good gear..the "plastic" parts are just as strong as any of the plastic parts on any tripod.

Thanks Gatehouse...just wanted to be sure.

The plastic snaps for the tripod legs are pretty strong. I have not had an issue with those yet (I've used in like -1/0 degrees -not too cold) The only problem I've had is that POS plastic piece breaking and my new Zeiss 85mm taking a tumble... On it's way to Germany as we speak.

I bought the metal base plate from Parsons Photo Source. They have a website if you google them. Likely any Manfrotto dealer will sell the same metal quick release base plate.

Is it a lifetime tripod....? Not a chance. Manfrotto didn't build these with hunters in mind. Mine will likely be replaced in another year or so with one of these guys http://www.outdoorsmans.com/ tripods. They are the best for hunting abuse in my own opinion... But they are $$$$

Carl

Ouch!...that's definitely a piss off. I think I'll be upgrading to the metal as well.
I'm looking at getting mine from http://www.optics4birding.com/ ... hopefully they'll have the metal plate if not i'll check out Parsons. Thanks! Great website and the tripods are really nice as well but like you said they are darn expensive...almost the same price as my spotting scope. If I'm going to spend money like that on a tripod it's going to have a swaro, a Leica or Zeiss mounted on the top of it - (one day I'll have optics of this caliber!...I can't get over the prices of some of the optics out there...slowly but surely as they say.)

Thanks for the feedback Carl!

I have the Slik 613CF, its not cheap by manfrotto718 standards but its lighter and very sturdy. Quality is excellent and I like the twistlock legs better than the clamp style

I've read the reviews on this one as well Brambles and it scores really well but it doesn't look like it has a pan handle though? The fact that it's priced at $150 pounds $325 U.S. doesn't help me either...lol. (also all the links that come up have UK addresses attcached). I've gathered that the twist legs are much quieter also...good to know!

Thanks for the feedback Brambles - it's much appreciated!

srupp
09-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I have the Manfrotto 718SHB....and I have been using it with the pretty Heavy Swarovski 6mm spotting scope...and so far (touch wood) I have not had the plastic QD brake..(sorry to hear of the breakage Carl )

It IS heavy and pretty darn stable however since mine has the angled eyepiece I usually spend my time spotting from a low position..so not much height needed on most spotting useages..

The parts "seem" pretty good quality..

My ONLY concern is I need to "reef" down on the arm to REALLY snug up the adjustment on the elevation or the front end weight of the scope pulls the field down...as the scope slowly swing front end down..the adjusting needs plenty of twist...

I liked the Leupold tripod better that came with their kit and have actually had great luck with SLIK products..just couldnt find a place to buy one when I bought thi Manfrotto...would I do it again??? HMMM not sure..

would like to try something else..means Im still looking..

Steven

gbear
09-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I bought a tripod last winter made by K & K Outdoors. Not cheap - runs about $300 or so, but good and solid. I upgraded from a cheap one I picked up at London Drugs many years ago. Sure, it's a bit heavier, but not to bad. But way more stable for my new zeiss. I packed it around sheep hunting this August and found it to work very well. It has a metal quick realease attachment.

Tikka7mm
09-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I have the Manfrotto 718SHB....and I have been using it with the pretty Heavy Swarovski 6mm spotting scope...and so far (touch wood) I have not had the plastic QD brake..(sorry to hear of the breakage Carl )

It IS heavy and pretty darn stable however since mine has the angled eyepiece I usually spend my time spotting from a low position..so not much height needed on most spotting useages..

The parts "seem" pretty good quality..

My ONLY concern is I need to "reef" down on the arm to REALLY snug up the adjustment on the elevation or the front end weight of the scope pulls the field down...as the scope slowly swing front end down..the adjusting needs plenty of twist...

I liked the Leupold tripod better that came with their kit and have actually had great luck with SLIK products..just couldnt find a place to buy one when I bought thi Manfrotto...would I do it again??? HMMM not sure..

would like to try something else..means Im still looking..

Steven

Hey Steven,

So your take on the 718SHB is the same as Carls...it's not a lifetime tripod but it does the trick for now. I haven't found or seen much of the SLIK stuff either....a lot of it is in the UK and the prices are advertised in pounds (expensive!). I came across this unit on optics planet http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-high-country-tripod-with-ball-head-hcountry.html but it's a ball head and there's no feedback on it either but then again it's a new product. Vortex makes some decent stuff but I haven't heard anything on their tripods?? I'm just not into spending 350.00 on a tripod....yet!

Tikka7mm
09-18-2008, 07:04 PM
I bought a tripod last winter made by K & K Outdoors. Not cheap - runs about $300 or so, but good and solid. I upgraded from a cheap one I picked up at London Drugs many years ago. Sure, it's a bit heavier, but not to bad. But way more stable for my new zeiss. I packed it around sheep hunting this August and found it to work very well. It has a metal quick realease attachment.

Thanks for the feedback gbear! I have to say that if I felt like spending 300 bucks on a tripod this could very well be my choice...Pretty great quality stuff by the sounds of it. I like the idea of the pistol grip but I need to fill my piggy bank up a bit more first...

srupp
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I WILL be eventually replacing the Manfrotto but NEXT time I will try before I buy....

steven

Tikka7mm
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I WILL be eventually replacing the Manfrotto but NEXT time I will try before I buy....

steven

I have to agree that this is the way to do it if possible but it's kind of hard when you're buying from a website?

Fosey
09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I am in the same boat as you, trying to find a light tripod that can take some abuse. The Manfrotto looks like it is to short, it would be nice to have a 30 inch high tripod. I tried the Leupold short model but it is to heavy. I guess I will stick with the slik u5000 since I have broke everything else I have.

Tikka7mm
09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I am in the same boat as you, trying to find a light tripod that can take some abuse. The Manfrotto looks like it is to short, it would be nice to have a 30 inch high tripod. I tried the Leupold short model but it is to heavy. I guess I will stick with the slik u5000 since I have broke everything else I have.

Hey Fosey,

How tall do you need to go? The manfrotto 718SHB extends up to 48.5" with the middle column extended and it's closed length is only 16". Small enough to fit in the side pocket of my J107 Eberlestock which is what I'm looking to be able to do. If you want taller you can go with the Manfrotto 718B it extends to 65.5" but it's closed length is 19.3" and it weighs 3.1 lbs...still small enough to fit in the side pocket of many of the decent packs out there. The side pockets on my j107 can accomodate about 22.5" on a tight fit.

Tikka7mm
09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Well, I finally made a decision and went out and bought the Manfrotto 718B...it's a little bit longer than the 718SHB (now I can use it with my DLSR) and tiny bit heavier (.2 lbs). It's too early to tell but I think I'll be pretty happy with it. It fits in my J107 side pocket with quite a bit of room to spare. I bought it at a local shop here in Victoria (Lens & Shutter). It cost me just over 140 bucks after tax. I probably could have saved a few bucks and bought it off the net but for a few dollars more I'd rather support the local business's.

Anyways, I thought I'd post this little bit of info to add to the thread just in case there's some other guy out there looking for the same kind of info on tripods I was.

If anybody is interested in the specs for the this tripod here is the link:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2051

Thanks again for the all the helpful feedback.