PDA

View Full Version : whats your perception??

curt
09-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Just curious what everyone has been experiencing over the past few years. The government has been claiming the numbers of hunters has been on the decline for years now. The Government was looking at ways to recruit a bunch or new/ younger generation hunters to our bush in recent years. Here's my issue I'm 37 yrs old been hunting big game since i was 15 in my opinnion the bush has way more hunters and "gong" show stories in the past few years than i've ever heard before. Am I losing my mind or are there lots if not too many guys out there these days????? so why would the government be pushing or promoting new hunters likely just for the license fees i guess.

BearSniper
09-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Curt

You know you've got a point.

We've all noticed lots of hunters out in the bush at times and yet numbers are supposed to be down.

I wonder how bad, then, it was in the 60's. I know my dad quit because too many drunks were out shooting cattle, tin cans, and anything that moved.

Is it possible that quads, SUV's, and argo's have increased access to the bush, therefore giving the impression lots of hunters are about?

Food for thought.

BearSniper

longwalk
09-16-2008, 05:38 PM
When I was younger, living on the farm near Rock Creek, I remember a steady stream of vehicles passing the house. Lots of U-turn tracks on the road and gut piles where deer had been shot off the road. Lots of hunters stopping by the house asking for permission to hunt the place. Now when I hunt the old haunts I see very few people, mostly road hunters passing through but never anyone on foot pounding the bush. The animals are still there, just fewer hunters.

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 05:42 PM
License sales don't lie. We are on a slippery slope.
WTS I believe that MORE of the general public is out there playing around and that popular spots are, well,,,, popular. Giving the impression of big #'s.

Blame it on Jelly. :lol:

Avalanche123
09-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Could it also be hunting GOS are shorter (the moose GOS in my neck of the woods sure is!) so the same amount of hunters are in an area for a shorter period of time giving the impression, the numbers are growing?

As Mr. Dean says, the licence sales don't lie.

Steeleco
09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
The weekend of the 6th we were afield. Lots of folks riding and camping, we were the only two hunting. In all probability, our trip this weekend will no doubt be the same.

spreerider
09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
i have run into alot of mushroom pickers in the woods the last few weekends but only 1 other hunter and he was on the oposite mountain walking down a road, could barly see him through binocs

Remington
09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
In my oinion if they were really intrested in increasing actual hunter numbers they would reduce antler restricted hunts and open more General seasons to all hunters not just select groups. ;)

Huey
09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
I think alot of it has to do with forums like this... We hear alot more 'gong' show stories because we are connected to so many people now through a site like this. I find that the amount of negative stories/rants far outweigh the positive experience stories.

As for #'s in the field... I'm not really sure. I guess I should apologize for being a new hunter and picking up the sport this year, as I'm just adding to the #'s. :tongue:

Gateholio
09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I hardly ever run into other hunters, except when hunitng areas that the "gong show" may be apparent, and you shoudl know that in advance.

I run into other hunters on the road, rarely even a km in the bush...

Stone Sheep Steve
09-17-2008, 05:35 AM
While our numbers have dropped, the remaining hunters are ones that get out every year. All the forces that have reduced hunter numbers have squeezed out a lot of fence-sitters.

"Mico-management" also hs concentrated hunters. Liberalizing seasons and harmonizing them province wide(where it's practical) would remove the high concentrations of hunters that have developed over the past few years. Short opening here, then short opening there just moves the pressure back and forth and concentrates hunters.

We've got the game to harvest now we just have to manage it right and on a Provincial scale.

If the trend in hunter numbers doesn't change, our kids and grandkids won't have much of a future in hunting as this province won't be managed for a handful of people.
Don't think of the situation now....think of the situation 50 years from now. The numbers don't lie.

SSS

Little Hawk
09-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Howdy,

You guy's are right on the money: We are a dieing breed.

One consolation, comparing today's hunters to yesterday's hunters, is that with the CORE and hunter-training courses of today, it is likely a lot safer in the bush now than it was then.

I think new-hunter recruitment should be No.1 - priority with all of us.

If each of us brought at least two new-hunters on board before we go, our numbers would grow. If our numbers continue to decline, it is inevitable that our favorite pastime will bow in extinction to political forces.

I'm trying, gently, to persuade my son to hunt with me. No luck yet but maybe one day. He is a voracious meat-eater after all.

Cheers,
Terry

WildKat
09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Hi from a newby hunterette! I was under the impression that the sport was growing. When I took my PAL it was a full capacity course with 13 of us being women :) Then I took my CORE which was also full capacity (can't remember exactly, 36? people) this time 15 of us being women. I would love to promote the sport, and with 5 children I am looking forward to the future generations as well!
Katya