PDA

View Full Version : Cheap rib spreader

abbyfireguy
09-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I was reading tthe latest BC Outdoors and came across an image of a rib spreader which was being marketed.
I have had issues with spreading ribs and holding them on larger animals such as moose and elk over the years. I always got the job done but it was a pain in the posterior some times.
The pictures in the magazine twigged my brain(yes I do have a one), and off I went to the tool zoo in the garage.
What I came up with and how I thought it might work seem to match.
Most guys who work with wood and/or finishing have one of these clamps in their shop.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/abbyfireguy/P1010005.jpg?t=1221580236

All you need to do is release the fixed end and turn it around and attach it to the opposite end of the bar. Now you go from a clamp to a spreader.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/abbyfireguy/P1010006.jpg?t=1221580503
This one I have pictured is a 14 inch unit but I will look at my tool place(KMS) as they have smaller ones that would work better for smaller game like mulies and white tails.

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I recieved a folding steel spreader as a gift. When opened, it cams over and locks-up. I *think* it's an Outdoor Edge product. Anyhow,,,, worked great!

And knowing the source of the gift, I'm sure it doesn't cost much.

steepNdeep
09-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Looks like a great unit (if you have nothing better to spend your money on... ;) !

For the less tech inclined, here's the backpack hunter's version... it's cheap, weighs nothing and consistently puts game in the freezer! :tongue:

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bb-butcher-dark.JPG

Sitkaspruce
09-16-2008, 10:18 AM
or you could save yourself the mess and stress and just use the no gut method and no need to worry about spreading the chest:shock::-P:tongue:

Cheers

SS

Gateholio
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Exactly...

Why the hell do you want to spread the ribcage? Just cut the meat off and leave the ribcage behind. Unless you are hanging a whole carcass, then just use a stick.:tongue:

BCRiverBoater
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I generally do the no gut method as well. I am usually quartering and de-boning. I then cut out the back straps and tenderloins. No ribs, no guts, no fuss.

Big7
09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
How to you get the tenderloins out if you don't gut - or do you mean you don't open the chest cavity, just the digestive portion.

Gateholio
09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
How to you get the tenderloins out if you don't gut - or do you mean you don't open the chest cavity, just the digestive portion.

You can make a couple of small slits at the rear of the paunch when the hind end is removed, reach in and pull out the tenderloins.

Big7
09-16-2008, 11:45 AM
What ever gets your bacon!

BCRiverBoater
09-16-2008, 12:18 PM
You can make a couple of small slits at the rear of the paunch when the hind end is removed, reach in and pull out the tenderloins.

Yes. We get the loins out with never removing the guts. This way of doing an animal has been the preferred way for most guides and bushman in the north for as long as I have heard stories. I rarely ever gut and clean an animal the traditional way. It is way more work and takes way more time. You can still get all the meat you want. Can clean up the neck and strip some of the ribs as well.

I debone 75% of all animals we take as we are usually packing it on our back. If deboning, removing the guts is not necessary and makes it easier to have a mess and dirty the meat.

If I am right by my truck I will do a traditional quarter with ribs etc. But I still do see the need for a rib spreader.

rocksteady
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Heres a link....

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html

You can print it and pack it in your truck, or laminate it and pack it in your packboard...

Big7
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Have to give it a try one day...I've deboned many times up to the tenderloin part...then I usually yank the "bottom end" out and grab them from the inside but yeah..cool trick.

BCRiverBoater
09-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Very very simple after you have seen it down. It is so quick and clean most convert to it after trying it. The back straps are super easy to get but the tenderloins are tricky the first few times. After you have the hang of it, it becomes so quick.

I have seen guides do an animal as fast as one can pack the horse.

KevinB
09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I usually use the same method now too. After the first few times it gets faster and it is a lot cleaner especially if you are cutting it up to pack out anyways. If I do for whatever reason want to gut it and need to spread the ribs, I use the same kind of fancy stick that SteepnDeep showed in his photo. It is the only piece of custom gear that I use! :-P

Sitkaspruce
09-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Been using this method for years. I do it a little different that is shown, but the results are the same. I carry a small 6x8 tarp in my pack, but have used garbage bags as well. My clients all want to see it done and are impressed with how clean everything is. I can usually do a moose in about 30-45 minutes. With a little practice, you can have the tenderloins out in no time, it is very easy. The toughest part is keeping the meat clean if the client wants a shoulder mount:p. One time we did this method, then spent another hour picking at the carcass and ended up with about 7 lbs of trim in little pieces. So you can see that there is very little waste. And you can always bring out one side of the ribs when done, just cut them off the last side and pack away.

Another benifit is that if you get a butcher to cut your game, you are not paying for 1/3 or more bone, including spine, hip and neck etc, to be thrown away.

Cheers

SS

Goliath
09-16-2008, 03:25 PM

Sweet! OR...do it grouse style. Step on the front wings, and yank.