PDA

View Full Version : Reg. 3 Sept. 10th Opener (Mule Deer).

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 12:55 AM
....And on Sept 11th @ 12:30ish in the afternoon,,,, I got him. :mrgreen:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0021-1.jpg

Can't do much better for a pic. The day was a long and extremely tough one. Pictures were the last thing on my mind. Meat preservation was foremost.

The buck I came home with was one that I scouted earlier (last wk of July). Although he was my second choice,,, my 1st pick just wasn't meant to be. I found #1 on the morning of the 10th but sadly, God said NO! My hunt was foiled by some others out enjoying Mother Nature in her finest hour... Not much one could do but to shrug it off and get on with matters.

On the 11th I went in looking for Mr. 2nd pick. From July, I knew his rack was weak but man,,,, he was a BIG animal. My initial thoughts were that he was a senior citizen with a regressed rack - A deer that I've hunted for the previous 2 seasons. Now that he's mine, I pretty sure that this one is younger, as his teeth seemed to be in pretty good order. Can't tell for certain until I pull a tooth AND the head is with the animal in a local friends cooler.

WTH, on with the story of a 'cut tag'. :smile:

I absolutely LOVE hiking trails and I was fairly certain/confident that this buck was still in the hood, as there weren't any fresh vehicle tracks entering his area, only mine from back in July. At 7am, I picked a trail and stomped on, prepared to spend the night out, if needed.

After hours of carefully selecting quiet places to place each step,,, WHOMP! - The noise a deer makes when springing into action,,, I hear. I tell myself, "this is good", then hunker down on the trail and listen some more.

I hear some branches break and the noises are definitely coming from above AND it's getting closer. I get a couple peeks of a deer with antlers making his way through the timber. Not enough to tell if he's a shooter (4 pt.) or not BUT, if luck will be with me, he'll end up right in front of me in short order. I take a breath and dare not move.

I hear another stick break then immediately followed by a NICE deer rounding the corner of the trail (get this) not 20' in front of me. WOWZA!!!

Time to count - The buck freezes and we stare at one another.... One two three, CRAP! One two three, DOUBLE CRAP!

He turns broadside - One two three FOUR (WOOHOO!) and I unsling my rifle in one motion, unclick the safety, flip the scope covers and aim, JUST as he steps off the trail and into the timber.

I softly whistle out to him and with the help of my beloved Model 70, .300 Winny, that was loaded up with a 180gr TSX,,, the rest is history.

Except for the hump out. :rolleyes:

Mr. #2 Pick, fell at 12:30 pm and I wasn't done hanging/skinning until well past 9 pm. It was a BRUTAL day but in all honesty, it twas the time of my life also. A hunt that surely won't be forgotten!

Cheers to the Dink!
A super-sized body with a nicely weighted, short tined AND bladed, 4x5 racked Mule Deer!!

WOOHOO!!!

It's all good!

winbuckhunter
09-16-2008, 01:03 AM
lets see a picture.. you got me all excited!! i hunt region 3 quite often.. up around beautiful lake in 3-12b some good mulies up there

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 01:10 AM
lets see a picture.. you got me all excited!! i hunt region 3 quite often.. up around beautiful lake in 3-12b some good mulies up there

Best I can offer is this one from July.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0010-2.jpg

Robinhood
09-16-2008, 01:40 AM
Nice going Mr Dean! Taking a deer at 20' - sounds like you should have had a bow...lol.

Mik
09-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Congrats on a fine deer.

doubled
09-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Very nice, heading up there on THursday for 10 days to hunt bullwinkles and maybe run into his brother.

TIKA 300
09-16-2008, 05:52 AM
From a guy that has only shot 2 points(me),i say thats one nice rack.

(11 more sleeps, but again who's counting .........)

TK

Wildman
09-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Awesome!!!! Good for you.

ElectricDyck
09-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Nice job Mr D, he's a porker!

Little Hawk
09-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Congrats and thanks for taking the time to write your story.

Cheers,
Terry

Leaseman
09-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Nice deer for sure! Post a pic of the rack when you get a chance, let's see how much it changed in that time....

Jelvis
09-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Mr. that was a good mule deer hunting story, and great job of keeping your kewl too, man that got me goin-
Excellent adventure hunting muley--Thanks Jel

newhunterette
09-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Dean, I always enjoy reading your stories - they have so much emotion to them that we can walk along with you and feel the adreneline you feel

congratulations on your beautiful harvest of the buck

hard work but a job completely well done

Ali

colt52
09-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Congratulation's on a great hunt and a great buck. Wish I had been there to help:p

Sharkey
09-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Well done! I love hearing stories of the hunt that start way back in the summer - carefully stalking and studying where he'll be. Good on ya!!

Steeleco
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Congrats Mr.D the other fellow will be waiting for you next year!

showtimebc
09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Congrats Dean, glad to hear you got a good one!

Huey
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Very nice! Thanks for the great story!

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Congrats and thanks for taking the time to write your story.

Cheers,
Terry

You, and to all the others - You're welcome!

One thing that is missed when huntin' solo is the camaraderie of after the hunt(s). Thanks for taking the time in not only reading it, but for sharing it also. Hopefully some of the info will help in serving others with their quests.

Reading the responses; I get as much (if not more) than the ones who read the post.

Nice going Mr Dean! Taking a deer at 20' - sounds like you should have had a bow...lol.

:rolleyes: ...... In this area, I'm more used to having to "reach out there and touch one". :lol: A 1 mile long-range rigg would have worked great on this one!

Nice deer for sure! Post a pic of the rack when you get a chance, let's see how much it changed in that time....

On Saturday, I go back up to do the carving. I'm a little hesitant of then posting a picture of a skinned out skull... In all honesty, I have been combing through ALL the live shots I got of him, looking for the 5th tine.

He's changed little. In fact, on extreme enlarging of one photo, it shows his velvet is starting to slip.

I'll make a judgement call of the after pic, before letting Mainlandhunter at it (Euro Mount).

Congratulation's on a great hunt and a great buck. Wish I had been there to help:p

AS DID I!!!

The meat pole that I tried to use came tumbling down just as I hoisted him up. A second set of long arms woulda been MORE than handy... Biatch of a day, fer sure :smile:

Wild one
09-16-2008, 10:02 AM
congats on the deer can't wait for pics. Got to love those old meat poles:p

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Congrats Mr.D the other fellow will be waiting for you next year!

Here's Mr. 1st Choice. AKA "other fellow";

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0082-2.jpg

I found it VERY interesting that each of these animals were found in the exact same locations as when I got these pics.

I later re-found this buck again on the evening of the 13th while out bird hunting. We just sat there ~350 yds apart, looking at each other for a good 20 minutes.

He didn't seem to have a care in the world, but didn't have much like for atv motors..... :rolleyes:

You're right --------> There's always next season! :smile:
For ALL the folks that didn't make the trip; THANKS! :lol:

:tongue:

Steeleco
09-16-2008, 12:26 PM
For ALL the folks that didn't make the trip; THANKS! :lol:
Sure, you say that now you bugger!! One won't be to eager to pass on the next invite :roll::roll:

Mr. Dean
09-22-2008, 01:19 AM
On Saturday, I go back up to do the carving. I'm a little hesitant of then posting a picture of a skinned out skull... In all honesty, I have been combing through ALL the live shots I got of him, looking for the 5th tine.

Well. the processing is mostly complete. :mrgreen:

The front's, I deboned and cubed. Through the course of this week, I'll make some select sausages and blend some 'special' ground meat that'll be intended for the barbeque. His rear 1/4's were also deboned and cut into steaks and chops.

On Sunday, we hosted ourselves and crew to venison tenderloin medallions and eggs, breaki/brunch. Tough to beat that!

Twas a wonderful weekend and I'll be glad to see it all finally done. Once so, I'll then be able to concentrate on what to do/where to go for my late Oct/early Nov hunt. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but there won't be a pic of whats left of his noodle being posted. Its just to darn icky (puke) and'll have to wait for a finished product back from Mainlandhunter. I'm back to thinking that he's an old bugger; all his teeth are near completely black due to decay.... :confused:

Forgot my wallet and Hunting License at home. Realized this when I was @ Bridal Falls trying to buy fuel...... Wasn't able to hunt some birds on Sunday morning (Read: moron, idiot, buffon,,,, slow from the start!). It SUCKED! :sad: