PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 Govt. as moose gun?

wapiti
09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Hey all, just wondering if any of you have hunted moose with the 45/70 govt. I am looking at getting a Marlin guide gun in this caliber, for use as thick-cover moose medicine. Just wondering if this would be a suitable cartridge/gun combo for this type of hunting.

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 01:14 AM
I'd say............ HELL YEAH!!

BCRiverBoater
09-16-2008, 01:39 AM
If you are hunting thick bush and thick cover where shots are to be less than 100 yards and risk hitting branches then it is the ultimate gun. Also one of the best bear stoppers on the market beside shotgun.

steelheadSABO
09-16-2008, 07:49 AM
cant beat it for close range moose gun

Rock Doctor
09-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Nothing could be better.
I love my 45/70.

RD

KevinB
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
If you are hunting thick bush and thick cover where shots are to be less than 100 yards and risk hitting branches then it is the ultimate gun.

"Brush-busting" ability is a myth...don't buy into it. If you hit some branches, it really doesn't matter what size bullet you are shooting, the odds are your bullet is going to do go somewhere other than where you aimed it. A number of folks have tested this and they have come to the same conclusion.

But all that aside, a 45-70 would kill a moose just as dead as anything else, as long as you can shoot it okay and hit the moose where you want.

4570hunter
09-16-2008, 09:47 AM
I hunt with a 45/70 and its my only gun as I sold my others. I was never one of those long range hunters, 100 yards is about it for me. My longest shot has been 100 yards to date. Usually 45/70 knocks them dead were their standing
and if they run its not far either. I have a Marlin with ghost rings for sights
shoots hot loads and love it. Contrary to what people think meat damage is minimal. Good luck!

Wolfman
09-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Sure as heck would! Close range stopping power.

Wolfman

CT.45
09-16-2008, 10:44 AM
.... and the wary hunter spots his prey, a mature bull moose. This one a fine specimen, going 60+ inches of antler width. He waits for the bull to step out from behind a small black spruce. The bull takes two steps forward, exposing his dark chest. The hunter raises his .45/70 Marlin Guide Gun, takes aim at the moose's vitals and squeezes the trigger until the hammer drops. The muzzle erupts, and the moose is SLAMMED to the ground........

BCRiverBoater
09-16-2008, 11:21 AM
"Brush-busting" ability is a myth...don't buy into it. If you hit some branches, it really doesn't matter what size bullet you are shooting, the odds are your bullet is going to do go somewhere other than where you aimed it. A number of folks have tested this and they have come to the same conclusion.

But all that aside, a 45-70 would kill a moose just as dead as anything else, as long as you can shoot it okay and hit the moose where you want.

I would not recommend any brush busting. But if in the thick bush in close quarters, I would rather have the 45/70 than most other guns. Bullet deflection can happen at anytime to any gun. But I would prefer a 45/70 over most guns.

wapiti
09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Wow...looks like a whole-hearted endorsement for the caliber!
Thanks, all!!
Will put my order in at SIR today:-P

Poguebilt
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
heck Ya!! im trying my stainless guide gun on elk this year with the new leverevelution bullets!

ape
09-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Wow...looks like a whole-hearted endorsement for the caliber!
Thanks, all!!
Will put my order in at SIR today:-P

Hell yeah. Mine is always the first rifle out of the locker when I am going out.

KevinB
09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I would not recommend any brush busting. But if the thick bush in close quarters, I would rather have the 45/70 than most other guns. Bullet deflection can happen at anytime to any gun. But I would prefer a 45/70 over most guns.

Fair 'nuff. Nothing wrong with having a big bullet for shooting at critters close up. But every reasonable test I have read about comes to the same conclusion, that big heavy bullets aren't significantly better at shooting through brush. Some of these same studies have even found that lighter, faster, spitzer bullets will be deflected less than longer heavy roundnose bullets. I was trying to point out that brush busting capability is not a great reason for choosing one cartridge over another, and if that is what he was considering the 45-70 for, then he might want to instead, consider a rifle that fits him well, that carries well, that can work well on moose, and that above all he can shoot well. If the guide gun does those things for him then it should work great.

waistdeep
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
My number one go to gun. That guide gun of mine goes everywhere.

curt
09-16-2008, 05:33 PM
If you want a 45 /70 i would amp it up abit and buy the 450 marlin it's basically a high performance version of the 45/70 I own one in the 1895 guide version it is my favor gun of all my guns you wont be dissapointed.:p

4570hunter
09-16-2008, 05:38 PM
450 ammo is harder to get isn't it, I had that choice as well and I chose the 45/70 because I can get ammo anywhere. Thats important if you lose your bags on a flight which has your ammo, your done

Avalanche123
09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Even as bow hunter I love my 45-70 stainless guide gun. Load up some hot rounds and you are good to go.