PDA

View Full Version : First Elk

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2008, 10:14 PM
First let me thank all that helped out with this hunt! You know who you guys are:smile:. VERY much appreciated!

The priority for me with this hunt was to show Dad the time of his life. We never got do do much hunting together over the years for various reasons so Dad was priority one.

Unfortunately, his body said it wasn't meant to be:sad:.

I did get him out one morning and we only had to walk a few hundred yds and we were immediately surrounded by bugling bulls. His eyes lit up like school boy getting his first kiss!:shock:

So, unfortunately most of my hunting was done solo...not the best way to bag a monster bull....but I did manage to get between a couple of herd bulls and their cows..most likely within 50 yds of the screaming behemoths! And believe me....I've watched a lot of videos getting ready for this hunt and the bugles were nothing like what I saw I those vids!!
Things just managed to go in the bulls' favour.

So when I got an offer to help from an experienced friend I jumped at that chance.

As soon as we got into position at first light the bulls were already going crazy. Immediately, I recognized one bugle from the previous day as "The Growler". We ran to get the wind in our favour and snuck in quietly. I left my partner cow-calling while I did my best to close the distance on the big bull. As soon as I was getting close he shut up and I could not find him. I continued to quietly still hunt toward his last direction but finally gave up. I was walking back towards my partner hoping to continue after another one of the good sounding bulls..when all of a sudden I jumped what I thought was the growler. Those big bulls don't get big by being stupid.

After arriving back at my partner he informed my that he had at least 5 bulls closing in around him. As soon as he said that, the second best sounding bull let out a bugle from not far away. Immediately, we closed the distance and found the wind was still in our favour despite the sun making an appearance.

We snuck in as quietly as possible when I looked up to see the movement of one of his cows. I motioned to my partner to get down.

We set up to start cow-calling while I tried to squeeze in between the bull and his cows. The bush was thick but there was some decent elk trails to be had.
Slowly I snuck along waiting for the cows to move forward. The bull went silent but I could hear the odd crack and breath from his big lungs. I knew he was still there.

Continuing, I followed his cows as they fed up the ridge hoping to slide in between.
Suddenly, I heard him coming and saw movement coming towards my only small shooting lane. I steadied my rifle.....and waited. Just as he entered my shooting lane he paused.......Previously, to this moment I had my tag burried deeply in my pocket as this was a tag not to be taken lightly(despite what my Dad thought).

He had a great sounding bugle...... he had cows with him....I had help that day.............BOOM!!!!:redface:

Well, at least I won't have a taxidermy bill or wall space isssues.

But I do think he'll make a nice Europeon mount...not quite what I was looking for but I'm still happy.

I do have a few video clips to share but since the camera is brand new it might take me a few months to figure it out.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2008_Elk_Hunt_022.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10500&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2008_Elk_Hunt_023.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10501&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2008_Elk_Hunt_028.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10502&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2008_Elk_Hunt_050.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10503&ppuser=1509)

Now I get to spend the last few days of my holidays putting a new roof on my house. Kinda makes me wish I was still on the mtn listening to those screaming bulls!!

SSS

ElkMasterC
09-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, let me be the first!
Congrats, B!

Hopefully the next one will go in full mount!

Just looked at the pics......

That's your first bull, and you're not gonna mount him?

I would have...then taken him to a taxidermist, or something.. :roll:

Big7
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Awesome...nice bull!! Sounds like a blast. Congrats - bet your Dad was pumped!!

Fisher-Dude
09-15-2008, 10:24 PM
That's a beauty SSS! Good to see your dad got in on some action. Looks like the TW is ready to do a wheelie with that rack!

daycort
09-15-2008, 10:27 PM
nice bull SSS. If he had grown that sword point and not busted off the 6 on the other side he would be not to bad of a bull.

Blainer
09-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Great stuff!
That will be a nice addition to the trophy room,and the european mount will save you money that can be spent on the next adventure.
Good on ya.

Tikka7mm
09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
beeauuuty!...not quite what you were looking for eh! yeah I would have held out for something bigger if it were me...lol.Just kidding, congrats on a great looking bull and a successful hunt!

Ramshot
09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Way to go BT!! Congrats on a nice wapiti bull, fer sure. RAMSHOT<

todbartell
09-15-2008, 10:38 PM
sweet lookin' bull, sounds like you had a hell of a time

Gateholio
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Looks great!! Congrats!!

Putting a new roof on isn't so bad AFTER the bull is down, you know..I've been putting an extension on the barn BEFORE I go out!:shock:

I'm heading up to take my 3rd stab at elk hunting in early October. Your success has inspired me.:tongue:

Alpine85
09-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Way to go man!!!! I seen you heading home in downtown Kelowna today.I just about rear ended a car trying to look back at the rack on the quad,lol.

Laurence_Erickson
09-15-2008, 10:57 PM
awesome looking bull sss.

beeker
09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice Bull Brent... that's a nice touch with the antlers on the tw too!!

09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Nice going SSS, looks like a pretty fair bull to me.

Huey
09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Wow now that sounds like an exciting hunt! I dream of someday hunting elk like that.....

Johnnybear
09-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Totally awesome post sss. Thanks for sharing those pics. I have put in for Elk here on the Island for many years and think that I will get hit by lightening first:lol:.

Robinhood
09-16-2008, 01:15 AM
He is a beauty. Thanks for sharing the story and the pics.

BCRiverBoater
09-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Congrats on the elk. If it was not for the broken points he would have been a very good bull. Well done and waiting for the video.

Mik
09-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Congrats. One day I'll get out there to try and nail one of those "Ghosts"

kennyj
09-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Thats a huge bull ! Congatulations.I'd see if the taxidermist could fix that broken tine.He's perfect other that that.Sounds like you had some exciting Bull action.
kenny

calvin L
09-16-2008, 07:05 AM
You just could not wait until I got over there! Nice elk buddy. With your luck you will have the draw in a year or two again . It was nice to get the up dates every other day . I can't beleeve that between the baby on the way and work I could not get over there:frown:. I feel like a _ _ _ _ !I am glad 2 stroke could help out . I hear dutchy was in on a elk his dad shot it at 6 yards as he called it in . How I will see if I can get anytime to help with the roof .

calvin L

budismyhorse
09-16-2008, 07:06 AM
that is a great looking bull, good whale tail on him.

congrats!

Good ol' LEH eh?!

Leaseman
09-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Very nice bull....Great story, felt like I was there....!!

Wildman
09-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Awesome bull, good work!

tufferthandug
09-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Awesome Bull! Thanks for the dirtbike pic. I was wondering what to do for the back of my XL 250. I was thinking saddle bags but the milk crate is a way better idea for me.

308Lover
09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
You will cherish having your dad along even more than the elk (some future day). I am soooooo jealous of your fab elk---great story too SSS!

steepNdeep
09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
That's a GREAT lookin' bull - I like the battle scars!! Must be some bruisers in there... looks pretty thick, just like they like it. That's cool that you Dad got out there with you to hear them at least once! My Dad couldn't leave camp on our trip... How many days did you hunt? Did you get a look at any others?

rocksteady
09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Congrats.....Great looking bull, too bad about the broken tine, however....still sounds like you got to enjoy the full experience of hunting bulls in the rut......Has the adrenaline high burned off yet......

It will subside til the next time you hear a bugle or a cow call......

frenchbar
09-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Wow!Very nice SSS. Ive never hunted Elk,but hearing stories like this and seeing the pics has got me thinking doing a Elk hunt next yr is probable .Congrats on your Elk.

Lil Buck
09-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Congrats great bull SSS.

44inchStone
09-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Not what you were looking for?? WOW. He's a really nice bull and would make most happy as hell to shoot something like him. Besides his one broken tine you have one hell of a Bull.
Maybe you have taken a few Bulls bigger? I guess it's like any animal. Sometimes you really have to force yourself to hold out for the biggie to come along. Either way he is exceptional. Congrats!!

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks all!

He's got a broken mainbeam just behind his 5th point on one side and a broken second on the other side. If he wasn't missing those two I would have considered mounting him. The area I was hunting has some of the biggest bulls in the province.....otherwise I would have been very happy. I could have shot bulls every time out which was pretty cool to experience:cool:. Now I'm tainted forever:?.

I may not get another chance to chase elk this time of year again as I'm in the Wine industry and was fortunate to get time off for this hunt. The grapes are waaaaay behind this year which allowed me to squeeze some time off. Good thing or I would have had to quit my job:smile:.

Calvin-I told you that you could have stayed with us until you found another job.....just no dogs allowed:-P. I'm sure your wife would have understood:roll:.

SSS

MattB
09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks all!

He's got a broken mainbeam just behind his 5th point on one side and a broken second on the other side. If he wasn't missing those two I would have considered mounting him. The area I was hunting has some of the biggest bulls in the province.....otherwise I would have been very happy. I could have shot bulls every time out which was pretty cool to experience:cool:. Now I'm tainted forever:?.

I may not get another chance to chase elk this time of year again as I'm in the Wine industry and was fortunate to get time off for this hunt. The grapes are waaaaay behind this year which allowed me to squeeze some time off. Good thing or I would have had to quit my job:smile:.

Calvin-I told you that you could have stayed with us until you found another job.....just no dogs allowed:-P. I'm sure your wife would have understood:roll:.

SSS

Quit your wineing!! :razz: Good job on the elk!

tracker
09-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Very Impressive bull ,make sure you keep the ivory from him:smile: congrats

BCrams
09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Awsome looking bull there Brent! I wouldn't complain!!

You know you can always take the time to come up here and chase the "bigger" bulls of the interior here !!!

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Awsome looking bull there Brent! I wouldn't complain!!

You know you can always take the time to come up here and chase the "bigger" bulls of the interior here !!!

I'm not sure if I can be trusted hunt a GOS as, apparently, I can't count to 6:oops:.
I was hoping to at least count to 7 if not 8:-(.

SSS

jml11
09-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Beauty Elk! At least yours lost a couple points naturally! The only six point i've shot rolled down very steep grass hill and busted up his antlers pretty good. Pretty much ended up with a 3X1....no I didn't mount it.......

Krico
09-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks all!

If he wasn't missing those two I would have considered mounting him.

SSS

That would have made for some entertaining pictures:eek:

Nice bull.

wildman 22
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Nice Elk Sss.to Bad For The Missing Points.the Fellow In The One Picture,would His Name Happen To Be Jay? Wildman 22

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Nice Elk Sss.to Bad For The Missing Points.the Fellow In The One Picture,would His Name Happen To Be Jay? Wildman 22

Yes, that would be the infamous "2-Stroke". Things tend to die when Jay's around.8)

SSS

rocksteady
09-16-2008, 06:19 PM
So did you have to haul him out in quarters or whole???

How much did he weigh??? I hear some of those West Koot bulls have heavy weights on the hook...

J_T
09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Nice Bull, no shortage of bugle action this year. Nothing like working them up close.

The European mount is classic. Good call for that bull.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-16-2008, 06:46 PM
So did you have to haul him out in quarters or whole???

How much did he weigh??? I hear some of those West Koot bulls have heavy weights on the hook...

He was only about 200 yds from the nearest road and it was all downhill. We drug the hind half but realized it was not our preferred method. Ended up quartering the fronts.
Got the entire elk loaded on my quad and drove in onto the truck:shock:.
No weights. Chilled him down for a couple of days near the hunting area.
Still looking for a local meat locker.

Got the airconditioner in my garage window but it's losing the battle in the 30 deg C temps:-(.

One shot from a 140gn TSX out of my .270=heart/lung soup and a piece of the near shoulder(must have had the near leg back). Went about 70 yds and heard him go down in a big crash.

SSS

09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Great Bull Steve, nice rear splits on that biggy !
Sounds like a great hunt thanks for sharing the pics.
C/T

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Yup.
That there is an Elk.

And a great tale.
Thanks.

:smile:

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 07:20 PM
PS.
I agree, that rack will look NICE on a wall.

Shed Hunter
09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
nice elk you got there sss

BCBairdo
09-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Brent,

Great job on a beauty Elk....glad you could get your old man to experience some of the elk calling....nothing more exhilirating than a growling bull in close.

Ian

horshur
09-16-2008, 08:42 PM
brent it is a fine bull with the best company!..congrats!

Rattler
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Beauty bull Brent. Great to see you hunting with your Dad. Those memories will last a lifetime...

mark4
09-17-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm happy for you SSB LOL- My dad came up and hunted with me this year too- It's great to hunt with the old man- I bet your old man is even happier to see you get that bull than you are LOL- it's a dad thing. good job- I see many more bulls in your future, my crystal ball is telling me so.....LOL

Kody94
09-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Congrats SSS! Thats a very nice bull and some great quality time with your Pop....lifetime memories.

Cheers
SSSSter

Stone Sheep Steve
09-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Dad paid a visit to the chiro yesterday and is feeling a "heap" better(he has nerve issues in his legs). He thumbed through the regs and noticed a nearby MU close to where we were hunting has a senior elk season. He's already looking forward to next year:).

SSS