PDA

View Full Version : Taking the dogs hunting?

JeffR
09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I am planning on going grouse hunting with my dogs this weekend, but I want to know about the legality of shooting a deer (if I see one) with the dogs present.

I see the synopsis says that:

The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs
must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose, mountain
sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may be used to
hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear or cougar.

However, I won't be using the dogs to hunt. They will simply be with me. If anything they will most likely ruin any chance of me getting a deer rather than assisting me.

So, I guess I am asking - do you interpret the regs to say that the dogs must be leashed only if they are being used to hunt deer, or should they be leashed even if they are not assisting in hunting??

wolverine
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I read that to mean get em on a leash. Look at the definition of hunting and I think you will see why.

mmcleodk
09-15-2008, 09:22 PM
reading the posted paragraph it says "use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but dogs must be on a leash when used to hunt deer" I would take this to mean that if the dog was being used to hunt deer then it has to be on a leash, from the sounds of it. That being said if your worried about it keep the dog on a leash and release it when you need to it to retrieve game.