PDA

View Full Version : Opening weekend

LOC
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Me and the mutt headed up to the lake for opening weekend. Went up expecting it to be a zoo with people (there were TONS of people out on the 1st for youth season, so assumed this one would be as bad).

After sitting in my spot Saturday AM (dog stayed at the cabin) and seeing only 2 does, we decided to do a chicken cruise that afternoon.

Odin noticed some birds on the side as I drove past and let me know. Pulled over and took all 3.

What I didn't realize when I released Odin to get them, was that he had to cross a cattle guard. Well on the way over to get the first bird he barrelled across and smacked his leg. Grabbed the bird and started back with out putting weight on it - all I could see was blood pouring out. Thought for sure it was broken! Figuring the cattle guard was a bad idea Odin decided to get back to me (chicken still in mouth and tail wagging) by passing through some barb-wire - again scratches and blood.

When we finally got together (not more than a minute, but seemed much longer) I got the bird and took a look at his leg. Lucky not broken! Grabbed the first aid kit, filled the gash on his 'ankel' with EMT gel, steril dressing, then wrapped and tapped it. He then went and got the other two birds!

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v319/158/61/559651040/n559651040_1792821_8824.jpg

Back at camp we cleaned up the barbed wire scratches and had dinner.

Sunday was uneventfull and only took one more chicken and didn't see any other deer.

The whole weekend we only saw one other hunter.

All and all, not a bad trip. Can't wait for next weekend in Cranbrook!

bsa30-06
09-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Glad to see his injuries weren't to serious.

Hagen
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
What I didn't realize when I released Odin to get them, was that he had to cross a cattle guard. Well on the way over to get the first bird he barrelled across and smacked his leg.

sounds like when we let Jay out of the truck, he likes to run fast too:razz:

good to hear Odins Ok