PDA

View Full Version : thinkin of goin for grizz.....

Wildfoot
09-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Well I'm getting ready to head out for my LEH hunts. I have moose and grizz. Im spending next week camping in subalpine to focus on mulies and grizz (bringin a new hunter for his first deer). I am planning on bringing my bow and a 12ga for backup. I was hoping to strictly bowhunt this trip.
im a decent shot (about 6" grouping at 40 yrds, my max hunting distance). I feel confident in my shot for taking a predator with one arrow. But I have never hunted grizzly, and have not hunted predators with a bow...

anyone here tried for a grizz with a bow? any tips?

since I only have the LEH my friend cant be backup with the 12, correct?

setup is 65# 28.5" draw, with about an 385 grain arrow. g5 montec 100g broadheads.

steelheadSABO
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
always bring your backup gun loaded with slugs:)

TimberPig
09-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Since a shotgun of any flavour isn't a legal gun for use on grizzly in a hunting situation, I'd think it would be pretty easy to show it was being used as a defense gun.

What might be harder to prove, is why you thought an inexperienced hunter, using a shotgun would be a good person to back you up while you try to stick your first bear with a bow. I think I'd prefer to be backed up by someone more experienced, who is using a good solid rifle of an appropriate chambering for bear in a SHTF situation.

4570hunter
09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
The bow set up sounds fine but don't miss or you'll need your gun for sure.
Wounding doesn't help either if that happens use your gun to finish it off.
I've seen bears shot with 308 and survive for hours shot placement is critical.
BTW- at 40 yards a bear can cover that distance in under 5 seconds bring diapers if you need too.

Wildfoot
09-15-2008, 08:38 PM
yah i sure wish 12ga with a single projectile was legal in bc for hunting big game :( i guess i will bring the .303 with me as well, just in case I wuss out haha.

since i cant hunt grizz with my 12ga... would i be able to put in a finishing shot if it needs one, or would I be SOL and have to let id bleed out?

My friend is new to hunting, but hes been shooting for a long time. id trust his shot under stress as much as mine. So if i poke a bear and it charges... its legal for him to pull the trigger?

quadrakid
09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
i would suggest you spend some time in the bush with a high power rifle and see if you can sneak up on a grizzly to within bow range,then ask yourself if you would feel comfortable putting an arrow in that bear. i guess what i,m getting at is shooting grizzlies with a rifle needs to be done very carefully,if your going to bowhunt them you had better be very prepared and experienced. there is very little room for error.

Avalanche123
09-15-2008, 09:58 PM
How does that saying go...better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6?

Ok on a serious note I have hunted griz with my bow but I carried my own back up in the form of a 45-70 loaded up hot with 500 grain lead. I never had the opportunity to connect.

My first impression was that your arrow set up was light. However I shoot a recurve and the comparison is not apples to apples. (My set up is a total arrow weight of 775 grains and my bow is 63# at my draw weight).

Make the first shot count!

jeeper
09-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Why would you want to hunt a grizz with a bow?

If its so that you can pat yourself on the back for taking down a dangerous predator at close range with a bow ?

My feeling is if you want to hunt with a bow hunt with a bow ! Deal with your chose in tools !

If you arent capable of hunting with a bow and feeling safe doing so then why would you be hunting with a bow?

Bruce

4570hunter
09-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I bowhunt black bears (no grizz tag agai this year) but I have a 45/70 with buffalo bore as back up. Grizz are so much bigger and tougher I would probably just shoot one with a 45/70. I can shoot out to 60 yards with my bow no problem but seeing these critters get shot and walk away bewilders me. They are be all definitions very tough animals you should check out some u tube video of bears being shot and running away. Grizz bears get my full respect every time I hunt and they earned it too!

branthunter
09-15-2008, 10:47 PM
My buddy shot a grizzly with a .375 right smack through the heart and it ran 200 yds. before it died. Luckily for us ( I was the shotgun backup) it ran away from us rather than toward us.

BCbillies
09-15-2008, 10:55 PM
IMHO I would harvest at least one grizz with a rifle and then consider the bow. When using a bow I would do a fall grizz hunt on the creeks using a tree stand.

On the other hand a guy only lives once...would love to hear how you make out! Top up the life insurance. ;-)

jeeper
09-15-2008, 11:05 PM
My buddy shot a grizzly with a .375 right smack through the heart and it ran 200 yds. before it died. Luckily for us ( I was the shotgun backup) it ran away from us rather than toward us.

I know of a very experianced hunter that died from a grizz mauling ! He was up the tochodi river hunting Elk , Had dropped his Elk and was in the process of gutting it when he was charged by a grizz !

It took his dad renting a plane and flying overhead to locate his body ! What had happened was he got three shots into the grizz with his 300 win mag , but that wasnt enough to stopp the Grizz from killing him . They found the Grizz and the guy ( the dad's) I worked with son dead together ! The Grizz had enough to keep going after being shot 3 times !

So again I ask , Why would you shoot a grizz with a bow if you require backup ! If your gonna shoot a grizz with a bow then do so and live or die with the consequences ! Or you could just choose to shoot it with a rifle.

Bruce

Avalanche123
09-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Spend more time learning about grizzly before you head out. There are some very good YouTube videos on grizzly hunting that show how quickly these animals move.

"Why would you shoot a griz with a bow if you require backup"? - Because he wants to. He never said anything about not accepting the consequence either. He is looking for tips and I suspect not looking to be questioned on weapon choice.

4570hunter
09-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I guess safety is the issue, don't go alone, have a back up rifle that will knock anything down on this planet like a 45/70 with 500 grain buffalo bore or other hot round for your buddy. Most animals move away from pressure meaning they will run the opposite direction of impact if they can, so make sure there is a direction for the animal to move away. Hundreds of Grizz are shot with bows. Jeeper wants to live with the consequences but practice safety and you'll be fine.

Wildfoot
09-16-2008, 11:11 AM
thanks for the advice everyone. Definately something that I dont want to do half-assed. I'm just trying to make sure I cover my bases before poking an angry beast with a stick!

Ive been practicing archery non stop all spring - summer. I feel 100% confident in a one shot kill. Ive been studying videos of grizz hunts and reading up on anatomy and all that.

Will have a 12ga and 30-06 for backup. 2 3/4" slugs in the 12 and 180g bullets in the 06.

I think Im as ready as I can be. I am still leaning towards the bow, but i will do what I feel is safest for the both of us when the the time comes.

The Hermit
09-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Me thinks bears would be terrifically startled and obviously impacted by a rifle shot. With a bow there is a very good chance it won't be as freaked out and therefore less likely to charge, especially if he wasn't aware of your presence in the first place. This is of course just supposition.

J_T
09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Perhaps the stalk and shot is not the difficult part. If he doesn't know you're there, it will be an adrenaline rush but ok.

I suspect the harder part will be following up on your shot. He will run, and he'll likely run for cover.......... and you're going to have to go in there...... so give him lots of time. Step wisely, slowly, quietly and well, take pictures so you can share the adrenaline event with us...

"Why would you shoot a griz with a bow if you require backup"? - Because he wants to. He never said anything about not accepting the consequence either. He is looking for tips and I suspect not looking to be questioned on weapon choice.Well said.

Evolution
09-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I was within 5 yards of an Island blackie the other day armed with only my buck knife, recurve and 100 grain stingers. My heart was just about pounding out of my chest when I realized it wasn't a deer I was stalking. I couldn't imagine being within 40 or less yards of a wounded Griz. I dont personally agree with a trophy griz hunt but I admire your courage for even contemplating bow hunting such a terrifying animal. Good luck

The Hermit
09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I was within 5 yards of an Island blackie the other day armed with only my buck knife, recurve and 100 grain stingers. My heart was just about pounding out of my chest when I realized it wasn't a deer I was stalking. I couldn't imagine being within 40 or less yards of a wounded Griz. I dont personally agree with a trophy griz hunt but I admire your courage for even contemplating bow hunting such a terrifying animal. Good luck

No tag, no sphincter control? It does get one going for sure!!!

Personally I would want a back up shooter with a 45.70 standing right beside me ready to pull the trigger if I planned to stick a grizzly... with the understanding being that if Mr Grizzz so much as looks like he is going to charge us then to let fly with the lead!!!

Bow Walker
09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
A couple things about grizzly bears that I've been told - and believe...

1. their hearts beat only 9 times per minute - they'll die much, much quicker by bleeding out from a double lung hit than a heart hit.

2. Griz are one of the few animals that will catch your scent on the wind, trail you (hunt you down), kill you, and eat you - just because it's hungry.

I've put a stalk on a local black bear (with only a bow and a 4" hunting knife for backup) - it was a rush to say the least!

Ron.C
09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I would have no problem bowhunting blackbear without a backup gun. As far as Grizzly, I would want a back up but wouldn't want him/her to shoot unless there was a full direct charge towards me after the animal was arrowed, not just because he looks like he "may charge".

The Hermit
09-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I would have no problem bowhunting blackbear without a backup gun. As far as Grizzly, I would want a back up but wouldn't want him/her to shoot unless there was a full direct charge towards me after the animal was arrowed, not just because he looks like he "may charge".

Fair enough Ron I overstated that... shoot only after I hit it with the arrow and if starts a charge... at bow distance there wouldn't be time to see if it was a bluff and I would assume that because it was hit with a broadhead it would be intending on killing us.

Shooter
09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Keep some salt and pepper in your pockets. I think the bear will appreciate it.

BigBanger
09-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Good luck bud , I hope it works out for ya .