PDA

View Full Version : Bow Walker to-------Deer Slayer???

bochunk2000
09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Bow Walker and I are headed out this eveing to see if we can't get him a deer. We are heading to an area that looks promising but we will have to see if the loggers have moved in there yet? Crossing my fingers...
Steve

BowSitter
09-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Steve, Anything bigger than a button spike and you had better shoot it as BowWalker will probably get buck fever!!!! LOL, Good luck!

bochunk2000
09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
A good dose of buck fever will teach a lot. But I'm sure Bow Walker is going to do well. It seems the only limitatio he's had so far in the killing dept. is the lack of time in the field. We'll fix that tonight hopefully. I'll be doing some practice shooting this afternoon, just incase a monster strolls by and BW is somewhere else. I'm going to hold out for a big one or the trip to Quadra in Nov.
Steve

Cedarstrip
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey Bochunk,
I live on Quadra.. pm me if you wish and maybe we can share some intelligence.

junior
09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Well... did ya get lucky???

kloosterboer
09-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Well... did ya get lucky???

Thats what i was avout to ask. So?

bochunk2000
09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Well...... we had a chance. I spotted a deer at last light and ranged it for Dan. I will let him finish the story.
Steve.

Bow Walker
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi-ya - great time out there with Steve. Or first "date" but hopefully not the last. :redface:

Very warm yesterday afternoon out in the big scary bush. We parked, loaded up and began walking in by 4:30/4:45 or so. Dusty, loud, and no wind to speak of. And, of course, not a cloud in the sky, forecast was for a FULL moon.

Plenty of room back in there to stretch your legs and get all the exercise you ever wanted or needed. Lots of potential and lots of sign. Too bad it wasn't raining - would've provided some much needed distraction for the deer.

We walked/pussy-footed in for about 4 or 5 km (I'm guessing) and then turned around to head back out as it was getting close to the time of day when we were expecting to get lucky, and we wanted to walk thru the area already covered while it was "prime time".

One thing that was a bit surprising was the lack of grouse since it was a perfect area for the little budgers. Oh well, can't have everything.

At about 7:45 Steve spotted a nice sized doe (meat for my freezer) standing about 47 yards away (straight line distance) off the track, up about 20 degrees, and on a bit of a ridge.........(I've had time to think about this and get my version of the details straight in my mind - Steve will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope).

We stopped, glassed, talked about it, and I decided that she would do nicely for the table. All the while she was watching us and licking her mustn't-touch and generally not caring that we were there. How could I not try? She was presenting a slightly quartering away shot, and there weren't any obstructing branches or bushes in the way.

We moved a bit closer, as the shot was outside my comfort range. She was obviously not concerned that we were there (much) so we got a tad closer and decided not to push our/my luck by risking a further advance.

At this point she was exhibiting a bit of alarm/concern, a she was paying more attention to us. The distance was now within what I was comfortable with and Steve ranged her again for me. I stepped a stride closer and to my right to clear a shrub and let fly. :eek:

Well. I missed. :mad:

After brain-storming we decided that I dropped my bow-hand too soon, as the arrow went left, just in front of her neck/shoulder area. Ever heard someone say "Good line" on a missed shot at a 3D shoot? It applies here, to the shot a I attempted. What a P-off! Especially since I should know better. I gun hunted for many years, and taken deer with never a qualm. But there's something about being "up close and personal" and doing the shooting with a bow.

All in all the whole hunt was a RUSH. I had a heckova time and enjoyed every minute of it. Even the sweating in the heat. I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to get back out there and do it again. Meanwhile, it's back to practice range and lots of "focused" shooting - while holding my form until the arrow hits the target. I've also got to get a quiver to put on my bow - those hip-type quivers just don't cut it for me. Great shakedown cruise for this season.

Thanks again to Steve's wife for "allowing" him to go out so soon again, and to Steve himself for taking a rookie with him.

Robinhood
09-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a close call BW! I missed a WT Doe in the Kootenays while I was there - so I can relate to the feeling of being P-d off with yourself. Nice to be in an area with lots of sign.

Mr. Dean
09-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Wicked tale BW.
It IS amazing what is 'forgotten' in the time of need, when the pressure is *on* and everything MEANS something......

You s t u p i d twit. :tongue: :rolleyes: :lol: :smile:

You know what ya did wrong.
Get back out there and learn from it!

Better luck next time - It'll come, I'm sure.

Cheers!

Bow Walker
09-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I am really stoked to get out there again! :D What a rush.

I'm sooo pumped, I haven't got enough skin left to close my eyes! :shock: :roll:

junior
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Good story... you'll get one next time

BowSitter
09-17-2008, 03:10 PM
HHMM post #2 sounds right on wouldn't you say? Huh brother dear brother. :twisted::mrgreen:

Bow Walker
09-17-2008, 06:30 PM
HHMM post #2 sounds right on wouldn't you say? Huh brother dear brother.
What have you actually shot at, bro' ? :confused:

Didn't you stand with your "Richard" in your hand while a nice buck walk across the road? :redface: Wasn't it up in Princeton? Wasn't your "Richard" frost-bitten because you just couldn't remember to draw your bow and you just stood there gawking?? :twisted:

Yeah, shite happens - but what a rush to send a shaft at a deer. Imagine if I could actually live my dream and go on an archery/horseback/pack-in hunt??:eek:

The Hermit
09-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Dan... try a treestand!!! And, what WAS the distance?

Bow Walker
09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey Bill ! How are ya?

:redface:Can you see me gettin my chubby cheeks up into a treestand?:oops: :shock:

bochunk2000
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
HHMM post #2 sounds right on wouldn't you say? Huh brother dear brother. :twisted::mrgreen:

What have you actually shot at, bro' ? :confused:

Didn't you stand with your "Richard" in your hand while a nice buck walk across the road? :redface: Wasn't it up in Princeton? Wasn't your "Richard" frost-bitten because you just couldn't remember to draw your bow and you just stood there gawking?? :twisted:

Yeah, shite happens - but what a rush to send a shaft at a deer. Imagine if I could actually live my dream and go on an archery/horseback/pack-in hunt??:eek:09-17-2008 03:10 PM

You boys will have to have a time out. It was a great shot and a near miss. I will take a near miss over a bad hit any day. I had a great time this Sunday out there with Bow Walker as well. No deer seen this time but we were on a bear for a while. EXCITING!. We'll have to do it again once I get a kitchen pass again. If we try enough times and keep learning the area we will get you to connect this season. I'm thinking there should be a bit of a wager on their first Bow kill between Bows -Walker and Sitter. Hmmm
Steve8)

Bow Walker
09-22-2008, 05:51 PM
R U up fpr a small wager Ron? Where are you these days? Out practicing with your hunting rig?

Bow Walker
09-22-2008, 06:50 PM
You boys will have to have a time out. It was a great shot and a near miss. I will take a near miss over a bad hit any day. I had a great time this Sunday out there with Bow Walker as well. No deer seen this time but we were on a bear for a while. EXCITING!. We'll have to do it again once I get a kitchen pass again. If we try enough times and keep learning the area we will get you to connect this season. I'm thinking there should be a bit of a wager on their first Bow kill between Bows -Walker and Sitter. Hmmm
Steve8)

Steve and I had another great evening out in the wilds of South Vanc Is. It wasn't an all-dayer, it was just a "three hour stroll".:wink:

We had barely started out when we were stopped by the sounds of the bear bulling its way through the thick bushes at the side of the road. It was heading away from the road and most likely heard us as we were walking along. We decided to split up and try a pincher movement - with the bruin ending up in the middle.

I headed into the thick stuff and Steve circled to the left and down the bank. The fireweed and the blackberry bushes were only about 10 - 12 yards thru and then I was greeted with a trail/track used by quadders. I looked over to my left, where the bear had last been heard and saw it crossing from center-left to center-right about 45 yards away...heading away from where Steve was working his way around to.

The bear was behind a screen of shrubs and didn't offer anything in the way of an opportunity for a shot. I worked my way up to its last position as quickly as I could but I didn't see it again - although I heard it busting through some more thick stuff.

That turned out to be the last either of us saw or heard it. A bit of excitement to start the evening with. It was an interesting feeling (to say the least) trying to sneak after a bear with my bow and a sharp broadhead. It got the ol' heart pumping.8)

Here's hoping he gets a "pass" and we can continue the adventure. besides, I gotta get one before my slack-ass bro'........:roll:

OOBuck
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I got an idea...

Why don't you guys grab a couple blunt tips and go 60 meters and fight it out!:wink:

Last man standing...

huntwriter
09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Great story Bow Walker. You know the saying…”that’s bowhunting for you”. The good news is there will be more chances. Good luck next time.

junior
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey Bowchunk, You need to get yourself a predator call or a fawn bleet... maybe peek Mr bruins curiosity, sometimes it works. :)

bochunk2000
09-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a predator call. They really don't work when you leave them at home:frown:! I will have it next time though. This was the first bear sign we had seen. After he got away and we continued on there was a lot of "sign" on the roads that wasn't there the week before. The freash ripe black berries were out as well.
Steve

Bow Walker
09-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Been sick all this week - damned cold/flu that's going around. Today's the first day that I think I might actually survive this thing.

I'm still itchin' to get back out there - it'll happen sometime next week - after an early shift. [gotta get one before the bro']

Eagle1
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Where was you huntn' at? Better check the regs on where "does" are open.
From what I've heard of the area you were in there is no doe season.
Just saying, always check the regs for whats open and whats not.

Bow Walker
09-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Bill! Where the heck you been hiding?!?

I've checked and re-checked the regs vs the area. It is a go as far as I can see, and a couple others as well.

Only way to be sure though, is to call the CO for confirmation.

OOBuck
09-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Where was you huntn' at? Better check the regs on where "does" are open.
From what I've heard of the area you were in there is no doe season.
Just saying, always check the regs for whats open and whats not.

He's alive!!! Hey Bill you old stranger! I got to hook up with you
and get some cables & a couple of strings made.. Send me another
PM with your phone number again..

Bow Walker
10-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I enjoyed another walk on the wild side with Bochunk tonight. We went out after work and while it was great to be out there - it would've been nice to see something. Other than great looking habitat of course.

Steve tells me that "if it were easy, it'd be called shopping" so I'll be more patient and perservering.:redface:

The Hermit
10-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Dan - I have a big ass tree stand you can borrow... if you want to kill a deer this year use it! Anyone disagree?

J_T
10-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Dan - I have a big ass tree stand you can borrow... if you want to kill a deer this year use it! Anyone disagree?Nope. If you want to see deer, walk. If you want to kill deer, sit.

Ron.C
10-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Agree, treestands are deadly, but treestands are only as good as the location the are in. I've wasted alot of hunting time just because I wanted to hunt from a tree when a ground setup would of been better and of lower impact.

Robinhood
10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Well said JT. I've seen a lot more animals since I started bowhunting. When I asked myself why - it was b/c I was spending a lot more time moving a lot less.

Bow Walker
10-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I appreciate the offer Bill, but I didn't think that Blacktails were that "paternable" (if that's a real word).

I had a walk-about about in a different area today - saw lots of does and large fawns. Passed on a shot at a good sized doe for the freezer and even held full draw on a brute of a 4-pointer (who was at 13.5 yards) for about a minute and a half (that felt like an hour and a half).

The buck was standing in a great big patch of ferns that were as high as his back and besides he was facing head on to me. When he finally decided to head for parts unknown he didn't even have the decency to offer a shot before it was too late.

Beautiful animal. Beautiful day. God, I love the 'outdoors'.

bochunk2000
10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Headed out with Dan again tomorrow evening to see if we can pop his cherry. I took my son out yesterday morning to "hunt" for deer. We really just look at them. Well sure enough we saw a nice fork. Where was Dan? Anyway as I'm trying like hell to save a tag for an upcoming trip to Quadra island I had a good discussion with my son about whether we should let this one grow up a bit more. He hummed and hawed a bit while this buck was eating. They he says "We could let him get bigger I guess, sure would be bad if someone else shoots him." Well son that's the risk of a little bit of conservation. Anyway for a 4 year old it was fun letting him decide to pass on a buck. Don't shoot everything you see. This buck would have filled a first tag any day. Hopefully we'll get a chance at one for Dan soon.
Steve

Bow Walker
10-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, our hunt went very well. Hiked in for about 3kms and decided to check out a slightly different area to see if there was any sign.

Lottsa sign. Saw a few tracks from a very good-sized buck, and a whole bunch of tracks from the rest of the 'herd'. Awesome setting to score on shooter - but, we didn't see anything on the way in.

On the way out though, different story. Just got started into our stroll for the vehicle when Steve holds up a hand to stop us and says that he heard a noise just to our left. We paused for a bit but couldn't hear anything else, so off we go again. A hundred yards or so down the trail and I catch a bit of movement - still on our left side.

A bear! Big black bugger! Obviously we pushed him/her out from up above. It was stopped, about 40 - 50 yards away, trying to figure out what we were. It didn't like the look/sound of us and did a hard 90 degree turn to start heading directly away from us. Steve unlimbered a shaft and head after it while I moved over to try and spot it for him.

The last we saw was a big 'ole black butt waddling into the thick stuff. Never did catch any more of it. Too bad. We continued on our way, in the failing light, and came upon a doe standing just uphill from us on our right side. She was only about 15 yards from us and facing directly at us. The 'stare-down' began. The only shot she presented was a throat shot, directly under her chin - or a chest shot, hopefully right through the soft spot between neck and chest cavity. Neither shot was in the 'high-percentage' category. When she got tired of looking at us she did an about-face and headed back up the trail she was on.

We were thinking that she must've stopped somewhere , later that night, to thank her lucky stars for all the 'chest-high' shrubbery that prevented anything resembling a shot opportunity. She should've, because that was all that kept her from cooling her heels in my freezer and gracing the dinner table at some later date.

This is more fun than a barrel of monkeys but DAMN the suspense is killing me.

Robinhood
10-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Keep at it BW - it definitely sounds like you guys are in the right area. If you keep putting in the time it's bound to happen.

Bow Walker
10-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks RH. The area does seem to hold a lot of game. This bear that we've been seeing is most likely the one that tore up a householder's balcony railing(s) early one morning (or late one night). It'd be nice to get him/her and make the area safe at the same time, as there's kids in some of the houses.

I've had the good fortune to have 'harvested' my share of animals in the past (with a gun) but using a bow is really quite the thrill....and besides, it's good just to be out there - great stress reduction/relaxing time.

Bow Walker
11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Quick Tip #34......:!:
When shooting a grouse with your bow, be mindful of what is behind the target.:redface:

I shot at nice little Ruffed yesterday afternoon while it was sitting/hiding in an alder tree. The arrow blew thru/by the bird and kept on going - out of sight! Never did find it. There goes $10-$11 down the drain.:mad:

The bird? Flew off down the hill into the really thick stuff. Lost it too.:mad::sad:.....although on mental re-play, I most probably ticked a small branch with the arrow, before getting near the bird, so it's very likely that I didn't even hit the gerschtunken grouse at all.:frown: Maybe it's time to stop using Adder heads and switch to Judo points.........

At least it's good to know that there are some 'groo-skis' up there.

Robinhood
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
For what it's worth, I have used Judo points with good success on grouse. I have taken countless shots with Judos and have yet to lose one, they really hang up in quick order making them easy to find.

Bow Walker
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
:idea: Now ya tell me! :-(

Ron.C
11-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Yep, judo's

BW, I've done the same thing with grouse/rabbits. You'd think by now I'd be smart enough to spend a few bucks on some judo tips, but no, I think I need to loose a few more muzzy/easton combnations before it finally hits home:oops:

Bow Walker
11-07-2008, 08:50 PM
So much for the cheaper Adder Points. It's going to be Judo's from now on.

Robinhood
11-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I carry five arrows tipped with broadheads, and one with a judo point. That way you only waste hunting broadheads at small game after you've already missed once.:tongue: Must admit that does still happen, but at least you can find the first one you shot!! The Judo points are money well spent IMO.
I have worried about using the wrong arrow when the time comes for a shot at a big game animal but it hasn't happened yet. I have heard rumors that Judo points have been known to kill big game animals in a pinch though it would be unethical to use them for that on purpose. I believe they also meet the minimum legal dimension for hunting big game.

bochunk2000
11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I carry five arrows tipped with broadheads, and one with a judo point. That way you only waste hunting broadheads at small game after you've already missed once.:tongue: Must admit that does still happen, but at least you can find the first one you shot!! The Judo points are money well spent IMO.
I have worried about using the wrong arrow when the time comes for a shot at a big game animal but it hasn't happened yet. I have heard rumors that Judo points have been known to kill big game animals in a pinch though it would be unethical to use them for that on purpose. I believe they also meet the minimum legal dimension for hunting big game.

Holly crap never shoot a judo at big game. You have to use a broad head as far as I know.
imho
Steve

Bow Walker
11-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I carry 4 broadheads and one small game - soon to be judo point. The small game head is a regular black arrow and the broadheads are camo shafts. Makes selecting the right one a wee bit easier.

Robinhood
11-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Bochunk, I absolutely agree - I would never consider using one on big game - totally unethical. I was just mentioning what I have heard. Perhaps I should have left it out of the post altogether. BW good idea with the different coloured shaft to distinguish. I always place the small game arrow in a particular spot in the quiver so I can find it easily.

Bow Walker
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Bochunk, I absolutely agree - I would never consider using one on big game - totally unethical. I was just mentioning what I have heard. Perhaps I should have left it out of the post altogether. BW good idea with the different coloured shaft to distinguish. I always place the small game arrow in a particular spot in the quiver so I can find it easily.

Yup, that 2.:smile:

Bow Walker
11-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Well, went out again this afternoon - in the pouring rain and wind. Parked the Jeep and went for a stroll inna da wilds of rural Sooke. I was supposed to take out a couple of newbies this afternoon, but I guess the wind and rain made them think twice.

Yes, I got soaked. Yes, I had a great time. Nope, I didn't score. I saw a yearling and watched for a while but didn't shoot. I'm not that desperate (yet).

All in all it was a pleasant walk-on-the-wild-side. Better than being home or at work.

Bow Walker
11-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Went out - again - today. Bee-U-tiful day. Spent 3 hours or so sneaking around the countryside, all to no effect. Didn't see a darned thing except lil birdies and some super views.

Just before dark I went to an area that I'd previously seen several deer. As the light was fading there were two nice chubby does standing just outside the tree line - at about 80 yards. I started to creep towards them - they were feeding quietly.

I got within 50 yards when two ATV's made enough noise to scare them back into the thick crap. When things quieted down a bit I crept to within 30 yards of where they jumped into the bush and froze in place - hoping that they would come back out to continue feeding. Not.

Effin' atv's anyway! I'm pretty sure that I could've got within shooting distance without being busted as they did look up at one point, but they ignored me and went back to feeding. Effin' atv's!

bochunk2000
11-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Any luck yet Dan? I'm back in town and I have a few days off. Let me know how things look.
Steve

Bow Walker
11-22-2008, 09:53 PM
PM sent...

Bow Walker
11-27-2008, 09:27 PM
:mrgreen:Well, I finally connected last Tuesday. Got nice sized doe hanging in my shed, waiting to be cut up.:mrgreen:

:cool:She was sticking her nose out of some bushes/ferns as I was walking up a small side road. I stopped and ranged her at 46.5 yards. I stood as still as I could, just watching her as she stepped out onto the trail and started to head towards me seemingly unaware that I was there. :rolleyes:

I looked at the trail/path/small road between her and I and spotted a distinctive, closer mark that I could range (23.5 yds.......YES.....definetly do-able!) and stepped as far to the side of the path that I could and still be able to see my mark. I waited and waited as she crept slowly closer, nibbling a bit as she came. :roll:

I peeked around the bit of bushes that hid me and yuppers!, she was still headed my way. She casually strolled past the 23.5 yard mark that I had picked out, presenting me with no shot opportunity. By this time I had come to full-draw on my bow and was patiently waiting. :-|

She kept moving forward - towards me and finally stopped and froze at what had to be 10 or 11 yards max. The staring match began.:!: Eyeball to eyeball......the seconds seemed like minutes.....the minute seemed like an hour. I'm holding 61lbs of penetrating KE just waiting to launch 384 grains of lethality...thank god for the 80% letoff! :idea:

She blinked first. She turned to her left to cross the path to the right side, exposing her ribs and vitals. I triggered the shot and there was a hollow, thumping sound as I watched the fluorescent fletching disappear into her ribs just behind the shoulder. :twisted:

She spun around and took off down the trail towards the place where she emerged from the bush. She made it about 20 - 25 yards down the path before going to ground.

I had her dressed and was back home where she ended up hanging in my shed all in under an hour-and-a-half. I got off work at 3pm and was back home, hanging her up by 4:30pm. Gotta love bowhunting! :wink:

I'll still keep the moniker of 'Bow Walker' as I am going to continue taking it for a walk in the woods - only now I'll have a choice to make. Bow only, or rifle?

kloosterboer
11-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow congrats!! but you know the rule about pics!!!!

Robinhood
11-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Way to go BW!! I knew your patience and persistence would pay off. Should be some tasty eats for sure.

Bow Walker
11-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes - I know it's only a doe and it isn't even worth noticing by 'real' hunters but I am a meat hunter and they are definitely legal, not to mention very tasty, so I am pleased as punch about it.

Thanks for the well wishes you guys....

kloosterboer - it's in the freezer now and was skinned and hanging three hours after I shot it. No camera with me at the time, so I have to be chastized for breaking the unwritten rule about pics with the story. Al I have to post is "just the facts, ma'am"........sorry.

bochunk2000
11-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Way to go Dan!! I wish I could have been there with you to experience it with you. Oh and I would have remembered a camera. Hahaha.
Good Job. Now get out there and knock down a buck. Have to change this post to Buckchaser/ Doeslayer.
Steve

Bow Walker
11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
As SSS puts it

Got a "little" room improvement but it was a good experience all round.

I am just happy to get the first under my belt and the 'monkey' off my back.

The Hermit
11-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Excellent Dan! Take video of contrived happy dance if no deer pic!!

oldtimer
12-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Way to go Dan !! Quite the rush isn't it ?? Mike

sealevel
12-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Way to go dan ...nothing like shooting them with a sharp stick.