PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Solo Moose!

Big7
09-13-2008, 09:42 PM
A couple of nights before opening day, a friend of mine, our sons and I went out for a scout....we saw a cow moose, a mature 3 point (no palms, just long "daggers") a couple of grouse etc......

Anyway, got up this morining and thought I would go back to the block where we had saw the bull moose in hopes that there might be a immy hanging around. As I was driving in there was another pickup just ahead of me. He was heading for the same area! I was a little ticked that I had stopped earlier to use the "washroom" otherwise I would have been the first in - no matter, he turned onto a road that was in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go!

I drove in to the first block and looked down into the swamp on the far side of the cut block - no moose. Drove to the end of the road and still hadn't seen anything so I turned around and decided to go to a different area that I could hike into. As I was comming back to the swamp at the beginning of the block I thought I saw a moose like shape. I stopped the truck and looked through the bins and sure enough - moose! It was hard to tell but it looked like he had little antlers partially in velvet. I got out of the truck, laid down on the shoulder of the block road with the bipod and had another look. Through a small opening in the black spruce I could see his front shoulder, neck and head. I waited until he looked in the opposite direction of me and I could clearly see 2 points on his left side.

One well placed shot just behind the ear with a 162gr Hornady BTSP from Black Betty (my 7RM) and my moose hunting season was all over. 174yds. Roughly 300yds from where I had seen the mature bull a few days earlier!!

I walked down through the cutblock, across to the far side of the swamp and field dressed my pile of steaks!! Cut him in half, drug each half across the swamp to the cut block then went home to grab my quad. My son was out of bed by then (he's 3) so he came back with me to get the moose. 2 quick trips with the quad and we were off to the meat locker!!

That's the third bull I have harvested on my own - I love hunting with my regular hunting bud but still fun once in a while on my own!!

I only got a couple of pictures and they are nothing any of you haven't seen before so won't bother posting (mostly because I don't know how!!!)

Cheers,

Big7

ianwuzhere
09-13-2008, 10:19 PM
rite on- im jelous- as didnt even see a moose all day, nevermind an immy. before you know it your son will be in the passenger seat...
cant wait for the pix

09-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Congrats on your moose, you'll have some fine eating there, how far did the little guy drag his share .... great to have an up and coming partner!
Well done on your own x 3 !
C/T

doubled
09-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Done already, isn't that an awesome feeling? That will be prime meat for the coming meals. If you need another freezer, we have an extra that I could store for you. :-D

hunter1947
09-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Big7 good going on connecting on your third moose ,very nice story as well ,pic latter right.

Nimrod
09-14-2008, 07:06 AM
so won't bother posting

I thought pictures were mandatory or your banned.:shock:

trigger
09-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Picturesssssss??????

Big7
09-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Sorry boys...I'll get some pictures on here tomorrow!

abbyfireguy
09-14-2008, 09:12 AM
I'll be up your way on October third, got two bull draws for 6-01..Will be up there for a week or less(depends how many bulls we see:-P).

How's the deer and grouse numbers so far this fall??
Looking forward to getting away from the rat race for a break..

Big7
09-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Haven't seen a ton of grouse this year but they're around. Deer numbers seem to be normal!! Good luck in 6-01!

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 09:36 AM
posting photos for Big7

and I may add very adorable pic of the hunter in training :)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/1.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/2.jpg

congratulations again :)

Big7
09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for posting those for me Ali...

I've shot numerous moose over the years but the last two (last year and this year) my son has been able to take part - last year he was actually with me when I shot it!

He had to wear his new Carhart coveralls - his "hunting pants!!"

6 K
09-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Dude... those are Awsome Pics. Kids in the picture are what is all about. Last year I hunted with my son (4) for ten days with out seeing a bull. In fact he was asleep when we spoted the only cow he was around for. I finnaly baged a brute on the general season opener and would have given alot to have had my son with me. Unfortunately the bull was six km. from where I could get the quad so bringing him was simply out of the question.
Good on ya for involving your son. Oh, I was on my own when I got my bull last year too. Congrats

Tikka7mm
09-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Those are great pics (cute little guy you have there). He looks pretty happy to be out there with his paps. Those will be some memories you won't soon forget. Congrats!

Why not?
09-20-2008, 04:03 PM
.......Unfortunately the bull was six km. from where I could get the quad so bringing him was simply out of the question.....

You packed a bull out 6KM? :-o

Ted

Why not?
09-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Big7, congratulations on the moose, and especially for getting the young guy involved!

We need more doing as you have.

Ted

Nimrod
09-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Great pics
the young guy looks thrilled, that's awesome, love seeing kids out in the bush.
can't wait for my boy to be big enough to come with.
good job.

Caveman
09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Congrats on the freezer full of steaks!!! Gratifying to accomplish it all on your own isn't it.

BiG Boar
09-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Sweet Job man! I am jelous!

moosinaround
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Congrats!! Beauty moose! I hunt with my son every chance I get! We have been in on 2 moose and a mulie together in the last 2 years. He's a member of my moose hunting crew! Can't wait for him to get his first game animal. Moosin

Buckwheat
09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
congrats:shock: !!!
cute picture:D

jrhunter
09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
congrats on the bull moose.

gameslayer
09-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Congrats on the immy Big 7, cute little partner.

6 K
09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
You packed a bull out 6KM? :-o

Ted
Yep, I earned every bite of that one I tell ya,
My partner told his boss that if I ever did that again he was going to put a bullet in me. :roll:
Two days of packing,I went back in the dark on the third morning for the antlers.

Big7
09-30-2008, 08:43 PM
My Grandpa used to tell me that if a moose was further than a 1/4 mile from the road, it wasn't worth it.....

Now that I'm a little wiser, I realize that's because he lived in Alaska in the 1930's and there were more than enough moose to be choosy....good on you for packing it out - it's all worth it on steak night!!

bcbooner
09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Nice tasty Bull.Get your Son involved at an early age and you will have a hunting partner and packer for life.