PDA

View Full Version : Got my elk

Robinhood
09-13-2008, 09:01 PM
So I'm back from my Kootenay Elk hunt (archery season) and thought I'd share the story of my exciting day. Thanks to my Dad, who has been hunting the same spot for about twenty years or so, we were able to pattern a small herd of Elk, and ambush them as they travelled from feed to bed in the morning. Got up at an unmentionable hour and drove about 5 km to the area we were hunting. Hiked into the bush by flashlight and the light of the moon for about a km. Because we knew that the herd was moving across one particular hillside as they travelled from feed to bed in the morning, the plan was to set up and wait for them to come to us. I had missed a shot at a cow the previous day as my arrow struck some branches I couldn't see in the early morning light and was anxious to redeem myself. Picked a spot in amongst a small group of treees with decent cover and settled in to wait. As dawn broke I heard two or three bugles and chuckles – enough to keep me interested and excited. At about 07:05 I could hear the herd coming – branches cracking and hooves. My heart started to pound as I leaned forward to pick up the bow. Before I could wrap my hand around the grip of my bow, four elk came over the crest of the hill directly in front of me (about 20 yards away) and moved towards me stopping to feed at eight yards. I froze and watched as the three cows and one calf fed and eyed me warily. The closest cow was aware that something was not right and kept eyeing me as she ate. I began ever so slowly reaching for the bow and managed to pick it up without spooking them. As my heart nearly beat out of my chest I began to slowly shift my position to an angle where I could shoot. After about a minute of this painfully slow watching and maneuvering, the lead cow took a big pee then spooked and bolted taking one other cow and calf with her. The fourth cow remained standing eighteen yards away loooking over her shoulder at me, so I quickly swung the bow to the left and drew all in one motion. The shot was a bit hurried but I knew I had a good hit. I sat back down and nocked another arrow as I waited. A few minutes later at our prearranged time to speak by radio, my Dad said “I found your elk” Turns out she had only gone eighty yards, and he had stumbled upon her as he stillhunted across the hill a little lower down that I. Let me tell you he was one surprised guy to come across a dead elk with my arrow in it! Anyways, you all know how the rest of it goes gutting, packing it out, skinning, and then celebrating!. Pretty excited about my first elk. For the record we were in zone X hence the ability to take a cow. Overall we had a good trip and saw a fair amount of game, though the herd we were targeting was small (about 15 animals) I'll do my best to attatch a couple of photos. Now it's on to deer. Wondering if anyone is able to give me a starting point as to where I could find access to land within an hour or so of Vic east of the power lines. I'm looking to bowhunt in the special shotgun / bow only area. Thanks a bunch.

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 09:04 PM
awesome story - one of those firsts to hold onto and especially with your Dad

congratulations

huntwriter
09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Congratulations on your first elk. Great story too!

You can get the Lower Mainland special area hunting map and regulations at any sporting goods store. There it will tell you where you can bowhunt. Good luck.

Robinhood
09-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks Huntwriter, the special bow / shotgun area I am interested in hunting is on Vancouver Island east of the power line. Not quite sure why the thread has been moved from the Island forum.

Elkhound
09-13-2008, 10:23 PM
first off.....congrats on your elk. I am jealous

second....while I did not move your thread I would assume it was moved here as it was a Kootenay elk and thats a mainland hunt.

shotgunjohn
09-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Congrats on your first elk. Good story!
There is actually a fair bit of public land in the bow/shotgun zone if you do your homework.

good hunting

John

BlacktailStalker
09-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Good for you, an elk with a bow is a trophy !

The Hermit
09-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Awesome!! Using a compound or trad gear?

rocksteady
09-14-2008, 03:15 AM
Congrats....Sure is a rush being that "up close and personal" with elk....Glad to see you scored....

Enjoy the grits and I am sure you will be back next year...

doubled
09-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Wow, what an awesome experience. As said earlier, an elk with a bow is a trophy.

hunter1947
09-14-2008, 06:39 AM
RH very nice elk you got and a great story to go with it.

This animal will be like eating lam this fall ,congrats on getting it with a bow http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

J_T
09-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Great hunt. Great kill. Congratulations. That'll keep you hooked.

first off.....congrats on your elk. I am jealous

second....while I did not move your thread I would assume it was moved here as it was a Kootenay elk and thats a mainland hunt.
I understand these are mainland hunts, but why not move them into the bowhunting section?

Robinhood
09-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the congrats guys and gals. Elkhound thanks for the explaination - I am still learning about how the board works - not trying to ruffle any feathers. I took this elk using a compound bow, though I am an old school "finger shooter" so I like to think of it as "traditional compound gear" if such a thing exists. (My way of saying an old and out of date bow)

steepNdeep
09-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Right on Robin! Sounds like a great hunt and with you Dad to boot. Any elk with a bow is AWESOME!!! Congrats!

mark4
09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
congrats on your elk with a bow !!! A lot easier said than done- good job.

rocksteady
09-14-2008, 06:38 PM
congrats on your elk with a bow !!! A lot easier said than done- good job.

Maybe not the most difficult, but definitely top 3, IMHO....I think sheep and goat would be a challenge too...

Elkhound
09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the congrats guys and gals. Elkhound thanks for the explaination - I am still learning about how the board works - not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Hey no problem and no feathers ruffled.:grin: Congrats again on the elk. I really need to get me one of those some day

Little Hawk
09-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Congrats and great story. Glad it was posted here or I would have missed.

Talk to the folks down at Island Outfitters and get them to put you in touch with some other bow-hunters.

They'll help you I'm sure.

By the way, were you hunting just south of Fairmont Hot Springs?

Good Luck.
Terry

Mtn Man
09-15-2008, 10:08 PM
great elk buddy, I knew this was your year, I guess I won't have to guess mystery meat at the next bbq at your dads, any kill with a bow is a great kill, congrats again, I'm busy packing for my trip, i hope I have the same luck... I mean skill. Elk steaks at your house.

Robinhood
09-16-2008, 01:09 AM
LH yes I was south of Fairmont. Hey MtnMan good to hear from you - good luck on your trip. If you show up at my place I'll serve Elk steaks! Talk to you when you get back.

Mr. Dean
09-18-2008, 12:29 AM
OK.
So when do we see a pic?

C'grats. Elk is one animal that I need to try hunting.

Little Hawk
09-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Hey RH,

I know that area well; we've hunted there the last 4-yrs (West slopes of Fir Mtn along the Hwy.). A friend of mine who used to live in Victoria now lives up in Invermere and his wife's family owns 400 acres up there.

Haven't scored yet... but this is my year. For me, Elk hunting is like going to some special school where you have to learn certain things before anything happens. So you, nailing your first with a bow, have done yourself proud.

I've put in for a cow draw the last three years in that area and so far nada.
We'll be up there again this year on Oct. 4th for another week. We're thinkin' bout' spending a night on the slope of the mountain so we can be there when they come back up in the morning.

Good luck to you!

"Doctor - doctor... more Elk-drug - please!"

Robinhood
09-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Mr Dean there was a thumbnail pic attatched to the first post but it didn't turn out very large. I'll try to put a larger one on - maybe I should upload it to the gallery first? LH spending a night on the mountain eh? We found that being early was an absolute necessity with these elk. I read a story once of a guy who built himself a wooden box (sort of like a coffin) that he dragged up to his deer spot every season. He would get dressed for hunting then climb in and close the lid. In the morning he would wake up, emerge from his box silently and shoot his deer. Apparently it worked - but don't ask me to verify the facts or remember where I read it. Good luck in Oct LH.