PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a good area for early season Mulies

brotherjack
09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I was just wondering if I could talk anyone out of a good lead on some spots to hunt mulies in the early season, vaguely in the Cranbrook area. I've decided that this year I'm going to focus my efforts on hunting mulies a good bit more seriously (as opposed to just waiting till November, and then going up to the nearest winter range and whacking the first little 4 point I see, which is what I've been doing in years past). My lmitations for places I could go try are that they have to be day-trip-able (I'm camper-less at the moment), and within reasonable distance of Cranbrook (hour and a half, two hours max (well, maybe a little longer if it's a super-super good spot)).

I've been playing with Google earth, and I think I've spotted a couple of reasonable spots (high altitude basins in the general vicinity of winter range that have water, no roads in, but that I could drive to within about an hour's hike of) - but having never done anything like this before, I'm hoping one of you guys with lots of experience at this sort of thing will help me clue in a bit more here.

Thanks in advance,

hunter1947
09-14-2008, 07:19 AM
I was just wondering if I could talk anyone out of a good lead on some spots to hunt mulies in the early season, vaguely in the Cranbrook area. I've decided that this year I'm going to focus my efforts on hunting mulies a good bit more seriously (as opposed to just waiting till November, and then going up to the nearest winter range and whacking the first little 4 point I see, which is what I've been doing in years past). My lmitations for places I could go try are that they have to be day-trip-able (I'm camper-less at the moment), and within reasonable distance of Cranbrook (hour and a half, two hours max (well, maybe a little longer if it's a super-super good spot)).

I've been playing with Google earth, and I think I've spotted a couple of reasonable spots (high altitude basins in the general vicinity of winter range that have water, no roads in, but that I could drive to within about an hour's hike of) - but having never done anything like this before, I'm hoping one of you guys with lots of experience at this sort of thing will help me clue in a bit more here.

Thanks in advance,

I have been told that on your way to Kimberly you turn off left and head back up the back end of the Perry creek FSR.

When you get back up into the back end of this area there are some spur roads that head off to your left ,there are a few of them that I see on my map book.

I have been informed buy a guide that the mountain that is above these spur roads is called Grassy MT ,this guide told me that there are some big mule deer up there as for some good elk hunting ,Brother I have never been there its just an area this guide used to work a few year back.