PDA

View Full Version : Stone sheep year 17 ends

srupp
09-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Back after 5 days from sheep hunt..ended 300 yards away from Peter..Newhunterettes husband :shock:..some "encounters " from his camp members on the tops of mountains..:?....

LOTS of sheep, lots of caribou..lots of grizzly bears..

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100010001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100110001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100130001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100270001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100280001.jpg

steven

Browningmirage
09-13-2008, 12:38 PM
encounters hey...sounds...vague

kennyj
09-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Did you have a good trip?
kenny

bigwhiteys
09-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Nothing like running into other hunters in sheep country :neutral:... We didn't see a soul on our hunt. Pressure in general seemed waaay down from last year. We didn't come home with a ram either but we did see some legals. We came home with an Elk though! Must have passed you on our way back south.

Carl

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Back after 5 days from sheep hunt..ended 300 yards away from Peter..Newhunterettes husband :shock:..some "encounters " from his camp members on the tops of mountains..:?....

LOTS of sheep, lots of caribou..lots of grizzly bears..

steven

did u really now wohoooooooooo - I hope he was polite ot I will be kicking some butt

todbartell
09-13-2008, 01:53 PM
like sands through the hour glass...these are the days of our lives

srupp
09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Peter was wonderful.

Steven

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 02:50 PM
phew - I raised him right lol

would love to hear about ur adventure and if you have a few photos of your time in the mountains

Elkhound
09-13-2008, 02:53 PM
always interesting to meet other HBC members while hunting

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Peter was wonderful.

Steven

Omg.It must be lonely up n sheep country.:p

Kody94
09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Peter's "buddies"

...from Peter..Newhunterettes husband :shock:..some "encounters " from his camp members on the tops of mountains..:?....

Peter was wonderful.

Steven

Assume his "buddies" were somewhat less "wonderful". ;)

Cheers,
4ster

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Peter was wonderful.

Steven

Omg.It must be lonely up n sheep country.:p

OHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GOSH now the rumours are gonna start

srupp
09-13-2008, 03:58 PM
pictures up in the original post..

steven

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 05:12 PM
absolutely gorgeous Steven, thank you

I had ordered Peter a new video camera to take but unfortunately it didnt arrive before he left so we will be relying on photos from the other guys as my camera was too much weight to add to the pack

I only wish I could make a trip up that far in the mountains , the colours are stunning

09-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the nice pic's Steven,
Well ?????
How was everything, what did Big bore think?
Whats the story??
C/T

BCRiverBoater
09-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Steve...Can't wait to see some more info in my e-mail. Hope you have some great memories. Now we need to talk sheep.

ElectricDyck
09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Is this another one of those long pause I got a sheep posts? If so I can't wait.:smile:

srupp
09-13-2008, 07:32 PM
We left the Puddle headed North.., after driving for 14 hours we hit the drainage we were to hike in on.. GREAT NO VEHICLES means no hunters in there....on the 20 kilometer hike in we encountered plenty of grizzly sign and after 8 kms we spotted our first ram.... a 3/4 curl beauty resting on a ridge above us...

In the end of the valley we stopped dead in our tracks there directly where I had camped last year were newhunterettes husband and 4 buddies...:cry:....we were tired so we hit the hay...that nite over 120 kilometer /hr winds theratened our tents..the mountain hardwear tent passed the nite well as did davids HUBBA HUBBA tent George had a great $80 POS kids tent..went well with his $1.99 PLASTIC poncho for waterproof clothing..and cotton clothes he was in NO WAY prepared..it was cold, snowy and rained constantly..

The next day I hunkered down and we started seeing sheep all day long we saw rams and ewes and lambs..on every mountain we looked..at the end of the second day we spotted 2 good rams close to camp and that wouldnt interefere with Peters group..

There was a "disagreement " when my first right of refusal was blown out of the water by Georges wanting to get first shot...finally when he realized he did not have the clothing to SURVIVE a nite on the upper mountain in the 150 kilometer/hr winds and cold and rain and snow Dave booted up the hill after a full curl that was heavy and flared over the nose..while he was scoping out the sheep three "members" of the other camp seeing what he was doing walked in on him skylining their shapes against the sky :shock:...PETER was NOT one of these "individuals"

that ram left.

next day George went one way and dave another..both saw sheep..I spent 10 hours picking ever seam of every mountain apart with the wonderful SWAROVSKI 65 mm spotting scope MAGNIFICANT equipment..I had now found 3 more rams all "iffy" plus heards of caribou and lots of lambs and ewes..
That nite we were again treated to mother natures fury..all survived..
I was in camp that day when 6 more Russian hunters from Vernon showed up heading into the last 3 kilometers of valley PLUS two more that hiked in on the ridge high above us...so now there were 5 + 3 + 8 = 16 hunters in the tiny little sheep shangrila...

Next morning dave and George headed into a canyon hidden a ways back in...I glassed and found 2 more rams..one was slightly under the legal length DAMN !!!

When George and Dave came back Georg anounced " they were leaving " hmmm my truck???that there were too many hunters..HOWEVER George also informed me..that..and I quote..I (steven ) was NOT a sheep hunter that all I did was sit around and glass the mountains from camp..not out hike up and down the hills and walk the valleys with binoculars..no I just sat and glassed..with spotting scope..."..unfortunatly THAT PISSED ME OFF..
I should have informed them great walk the 20 kilometers out and catch a greyhound home..however..I was mad enough to lose the enjoyment..I didnt care at that point..

They said it was a group decision..hmmm the group decides on when its supper or when to change camps or??? not bail 4 days into the hunt..

So..$3,000 spent in gear..12 days holidays ruined.. I could have been going in during PRIME GRIZZLY FOR MY LEH..sheep tag..wasted..gas money up and back...20 kilometer hike in..then a 20 kilometer hike out only to be ridiculed that I was not a sheep hunter...hmmmm:oops:

We hiked out and encountered ANOTHER 8 individuals headed in on HORSEBACK with a guide outfitter ?? 10 horses.. so 23 hunters - us 3 leaves 20 still in there..pretty crowded..considering some of the stuff I had already witnessed..

Hmmm invited this guy and "thought there might be problems with him wanting EVERYTHING HIS WAY.....opened up our home and provided lodging and chinese dinner... and the results brought me to tears..

another way for Steven to screw up another ENTIRE stone sheep season..and give more ammo in the arsnel in the joke about the guy who STILL didnt have a stone sheep now after 17 years..

My legs are very sore..I busted the bank trying to "get er done"..I did my best and tried helping...I found between 9 and 11 rams in 4 days plus the 2 other rams David saw while I was confirming the ones I were glassing with the binos were indeed ewes..by using the spotter scope..

Pretty discouraged, upset and yes ANGRY....no sheep...

steven

f350ps
09-13-2008, 07:48 PM
well that sucks Steve! Think I woulda been making corporate decision and sent them packing. Keep at it and it will happen. K

kennyj
09-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.Good partners are hard to find.I hunt solo a lot for that reason.Even without the horrible behavior of your partners,sounds like a pretty busy area.Keep plugging away and it will come together.I'll probably be doing a solo for stone sheep next year.Get out there and kill a huge Buck.There's lots of hunting season left.
kenny

jml11
09-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I see it as the other guys being the non-sheep hunters, giving up that easily is a sure sign of someone who doesn't have what it takes to hunt mountain sheep. Being so unprepared as they were just proves that fact more.

You saw a lot of rams in the time spent and it was probably because of your method. Sitting and glassing is what sheep hunting is all about. Finding a sheep hunting partner is tough and it is even tougher to find one who huts a similar style. I have heard stories of guys going on hunts together but their styles didn't mesh so they no longer hunt together.

Were all these guided hunters heading for a sheep hunt? a group of eight hunting sheep with a guide seems unusual, I don't even think the outfitter would have enough sheep tags for that.

srupp
09-13-2008, 08:41 PM
David is young and a BEAST..man what a great guy to help..he was just getting some bad info from George..Dvids a good guy just needs more hunting experience..maybe sheep so early in his hunting carreer was wrong??He too spent $$$$ for great gear..and the clothing EWAC system from USA army from cabelas was awesome as was the tent and the MSR stove etc etc etc

I did try and explain that sheep hunting is hours and hours of glassing and takes real patience...I found a LOT of sheep and rams with that Swarovski..

The Russians were suspicious..something there was wrong..IMHO no one goes in sheep hunting with 8 guys..other stuff didnt jive either..

The "guide" was at the first horse camp..he had 10 horses..one "client" was from the USA..Texas Paramedic..we chatted for a brief few moments another guy was a buisnessman from Vancouver area near where Dave lives.. then on the trail coming in were 5 more riders..3 were obviously city slickers..one had a grizzly tag.. all had caribou and sheep tags..2 of the riders were definatly comfortable around horses..

Sheep hyunting IS GLASSING..we glassed that hill for 2 days..what???100 times and when the 2 rams came out they "just appeared" where moments before there were just 2 ewes and 1 lamb..now suddenly 2 rams..they were in plain view for maybe 1 minute maybe 90 seconds and then gone...

IF we wouldnt have seen em we would never have known... another 7/8 ram close but obviously just short..just "got up and walked to the edge" while my scope was on 60x and he stood out just like he was 100 yards away... he didnt know I was there..and that was fine by me...

I tried to explain to David that sheep hunting is GLASSING..you use your EYES not your legs thats for when ya find em..

Anyhow I was humiliated by Georges very hurtful words..hmmmm 40 plus sheep..and 3 close to legals and 1 absolute shooter and one maybe plus LOTS of caribou in 4 days.... even to see one shooter is successful..he was wonderful and no doubt about his being a trophy shooter ...I was blessed SEEING him..

steven

Kody94
09-13-2008, 08:51 PM
You are right on the money about the glassing. I don't know who this George guy is but you shouldn't be concerned about his comments....he is clearly a jackazz.

The Russian's thing is very curious. Why would an outfitter bring in that many Russian's, then show up with more clients?? Or are these Russian's BC residents?

Way too many people in a small place for my taste....you couldn't just move out of that area a ways to get away from them?

ElectricDyck
09-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I feel for you, that sucks. I've had the same bad experience with hunting partners not being on the same page. It's rough. At least you got to glass some rams and get out there, I'm still jealous.

Kitimat Killer
09-13-2008, 08:53 PM
hey steven sorry to hear about your bad trip sounds like if you had good guys and stayed you would of came out with curls on your pack i take it you like your swarovski i bought one in 2004 and would never look back i bought the EL's 10x42 the year before and could not settle with a cheeper spoter after those bino's but steven back to topic i hope this trip does not discourge you for sheep if you ever need a partner to help you get one i would be more then willing just to pack one out for you

KK

BCbillies
09-13-2008, 09:04 PM
The Russian's thing is very curious. Why would an outfitter bring in that many Russian's, then show up with more clients?? Or are these Russian's BC residents?

Alright...we just rounded up a half dozen German boys and we'll intercept them! :biggrin:

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/shocked.gifreading your story Steven - wow I am at aloss of words to even respond except to say how sorry I am that the outcome was so negative especially after all you do to help people

all I can come up with I am so sorry

if it is any consolation - I am glad you met my hubby :)

moosinaround
09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Alright...we just rounded up a half dozen German boys and we'll intercept them! :biggrin:
Bahhh!! Send in the canadians eh!!

moosinaround
09-13-2008, 09:12 PM
On a serious note, sorry to hear about the sheep hunt! I was looking at the pics, and boy I wish I could even spend time in that type of BC. You seen some beauty country! Persistance will eventually pay off!! Chin up!! Moosin

trapntrav
09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Each of you carried a tent in, why??? We use the 3person mutha-hubba, good for 3 people, great for 2. In the end it was better that way apparently, I would have had a hard time sleeping next to someone after that comment! By the sounds of your ex-partners gear/attitude this hunt was doomed from the start. That many other hunters, that far in, @#$%, pretty dissapointing but you did pretty good considering.

Gateholio
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Steve, I don't get your partners comments..I'm a VERY inexperienced sheep hunter, but even I know that glassing saves you boot leather, sweat and time.:razz:

As for tents..yeah, sometimes it's good to take one tent, other times it's better to split them up. On this years sheep hunt (but it could be any alpine hunt for any specie) we both took our lightweight 2 man tents (good for one person, as far as I am concerned) and we were happy we didn't have to listen to the other snore, fart or mumble in their sleep about their GF. :)

BTW, there is a *small* safety aspect to it. If one guy gets mobbed by a grizzly, the other is free to move. Or snore away.:p

tikkat3
09-13-2008, 11:32 PM
man, I'm sorry you had that experience Steven, I would be so pissed off in your situation, that sheep Shangri-la would have become very un-peaceful:mad:

that is really breathtaking country...wow

bigwhiteys
09-14-2008, 12:25 AM
There was a "disagreement " when my first right of refusal was blown out of the water by Georges wanting to get first shot...

He who spots it has first right... Unless of course you've made some other type of arrangement... If it was Georges spot then maybe he has a case otherwise I would have kicked his ass right there on the mountain.

while he was scoping out the sheep three "members" of the other camp seeing what he was doing walked in on him skylining their shapes against the sky :shock:...PETER was NOT one of these "individuals"

Sounds like a mistake that could likely happen in a crowded area... Unless of course it was an intentional... Then they are simply assholes.

I am surprised you hiked for 20km and had such a shitty experience... I could show you more stones sheep spots then you could ever use with less of a hike then that and you'd likely see nobody else the entire time. In fact I know you wouldn't... It's a shame it turned out that way.

I think you should spring for a guided resident hunt next year. Solve all your problems right there... 17 years x at least $1000/year... Yep... It doesn't look so bad now!

Carl

srupp
09-14-2008, 12:34 AM
The Russians were on their own not with the horses....the horse group was a diverse group of clients.

Ali I DO hope Peter is successful with his stone sheep really I truly do.... the country was so beautiful..and he should also get his grizzly there certainly were enough of those around.

I just think with all the hunters and some of the ways the sheep were being hunted would tend to push sheep out or away or into some in accessable area to escape the onslaught of humans.... I KNOW I disected each hill, each slope, each ridge, each and every hidey hole I could see for many square kilometers I found sheep on each and every slope somewhere and sometime during my search.....its a challenge I enjoy..

And just to find a legal stone sheep during a hunting season while looking for them was a success..he WAS a beautiful sheep and that nite I was so thrilled just recounting the event..I played the scene out time after time before drifting off to sleep .

Kitimat Killer I was so please with the Swarovski..exceeded my expectations...as did all my gear I bought..

moosinaround.. the hills were covered in delicious blueberries... and it was so pretty.. very very enjoyable scenery..at one time while I was in full camo a momma caribou came to 137 yards(Leica rangefinder ) and bedded down with her calf...that was enjoyable..and IF I didnt spook her I certainly wasnt spooking any sheep...

trapntrav I am a very large overweight individual who has been accused of snoring..all lies I tell you..lol however I feel sensitive subjecting anyone to that noise..gear is able to be stored out of the weather...and the better you sleep the better you recouperate and heal the body ready for the next day of hunting and not awake while partner reads or tossess and turns..

Gate..lmao...there certainly were enough grizzlies to go around..

tikkat3..yes it really was breathtaking..at one point I remember saying something to myself about "Thank you Lord " or simmilar comment.. amazing majesty of all Gods handiwork..

I made a bad choice in a hunting partner so it all boils back down to a mistake..

David was NOT a mistake.. he IS eager, willing to ask and learn..my teaching him to call moose while on a stop along the way out will always be something to chuckle about and IF he were to use the call he was making I am certain it WOULD WORK..demonstrates his willingnes to put the effort in..
David ALSO spent considerable money $$$$ to get great gear...

Its DONE and I must move on...there are deer , moose , black bear , whitetail and GRIZZLY yet to be harvested this fall..maybe even harvest a cali big horn or bighorn ..

cheers

Steven

BCRiverBoater
09-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Steve..PM me and lets talk a real hunt...you are breaking my friggin' heart.

hunter1947
09-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Srupp very nice pic of the country..

hunter1947
09-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Sorry to hear about you bad trip Surpp :sad:.

I don't know how anyone could do a thing like this to there hunting partner ,Its an awful thing to have to go throughhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif .

With the amount of hunters and guides in the area you where in ,If it where me I would be looking for a new spot for next year.

You still have a young season ahead of you ,you have to get out and find yourself and get the cob webs out of the back of your mind.

Just chock this one up and don't get into the same boat next year.

Good luck with the rest of your hunting season Surpphttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

FLHTCUI
09-14-2008, 07:52 AM
They Say in Sheep Country ( mountan tops ) where the "Men are Men and the Sheep are Nervous " ;)>
nice country up that high.
Rob

Blainer
09-14-2008, 08:36 AM
That is a bloody shame.
Send him a bill!Jackass!

Kechika
09-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Yawn...Next story please

Wild one
09-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hear your trip was cut short by bad hunting partners. I would not hunt with those guys again not even for grouse.

mountainman
09-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry to hear about this mess Steve. As has been said GOOD hunting partners are hard to find.
I have never known a sheep hunter that spends more time hiking then glassing! If you are hunting for 6 days 4 should be spent glassing and the other 2 hiking and packing out the sheep!

willy442
09-14-2008, 10:55 AM
We left the Puddle headed North.., after driving for 14 hours we hit the drainage we were to hike in on.. GREAT NO VEHICLES means no hunters in there....on the 20 kilometer hike in we encountered plenty of grizzly sign and after 8 kms we spotted our first ram.... a 3/4 curl beauty resting on a ridge above us...

In the end of the valley we stopped dead in our tracks there directly where I had camped last year were newhunterettes husband and 4 buddies...:cry:....we were tired so we hit the hay...that nite over 120 kilometer /hr winds theratened our tents..the mountain hardwear tent passed the nite well as did davids HUBBA HUBBA tent George had a great $80 POS kids tent..went well with his $1.99 PLASTIC poncho for waterproof clothing..and cotton clothes he was in NO WAY prepared..it was cold, snowy and rained constantly..

The next day I hunkered down and we started seeing sheep all day long we saw rams and ewes and lambs..on every mountain we looked..at the end of the second day we spotted 2 good rams close to camp and that wouldnt interefere with Peters group..

There was a "disagreement " when my first right of refusal was blown out of the water by Georges wanting to get first shot...finally when he realized he did not have the clothing to SURVIVE a nite on the upper mountain in the 150 kilometer/hr winds and cold and rain and snow Dave booted up the hill after a full curl that was heavy and flared over the nose..while he was scoping out the sheep three "members" of the other camp seeing what he was doing walked in on him skylining their shapes against the sky :shock:...PETER was NOT one of these "individuals"

that ram left.

next day George went one way and dave another..both saw sheep..I spent 10 hours picking ever seam of every mountain apart with the wonderful SWAROVSKI 65 mm spotting scope MAGNIFICANT equipment..I had now found 3 more rams all "iffy" plus heards of caribou and lots of lambs and ewes..
That nite we were again treated to mother natures fury..all survived..
I was in camp that day when 6 more Russian hunters from Vernon showed up heading into the last 3 kilometers of valley PLUS two more that hiked in on the ridge high above us...so now there were 5 + 3 + 8 = 16 hunters in the tiny little sheep shangrila...

Next morning dave and George headed into a canyon hidden a ways back in...I glassed and found 2 more rams..one was slightly under the legal length DAMN !!!

When George and Dave came back Georg anounced " they were leaving " hmmm my truck???that there were too many hunters..HOWEVER George also informed me..that..and I quote..I (steven ) was NOT a sheep hunter that all I did was sit around and glass the mountains from camp..not out hike up and down the hills and walk the valleys with binoculars..no I just sat and glassed..with spotting scope..."..unfortunatly THAT PISSED ME OFF..
I should have informed them great walk the 20 kilometers out and catch a greyhound home..however..I was mad enough to lose the enjoyment..I didnt care at that point..

They said it was a group decision..hmmm the group decides on when its supper or when to change camps or??? not bail 4 days into the hunt..

So..$3,000 spent in gear..12 days holidays ruined.. I could have been going in during PRIME GRIZZLY FOR MY LEH..sheep tag..wasted..gas money up and back...20 kilometer hike in..then a 20 kilometer hike out only to be ridiculed that I was not a sheep hunter...hmmmm:oops:

We hiked out and encountered ANOTHER 8 individuals headed in on HORSEBACK with a guide outfitter ?? 10 horses.. so 23 hunters - us 3 leaves 20 still in there..pretty crowded..considering some of the stuff I had already witnessed..

Hmmm invited this guy and "thought there might be problems with him wanting EVERYTHING HIS WAY.....opened up our home and provided lodging and chinese dinner... and the results brought me to tears..

another way for Steven to screw up another ENTIRE stone sheep season..and give more ammo in the arsnel in the joke about the guy who STILL didnt have a stone sheep now after 17 years..

My legs are very sore..I busted the bank trying to "get er done"..I did my best and tried helping...I found between 9 and 11 rams in 4 days plus the 2 other rams David saw while I was confirming the ones I were glassing with the binos were indeed ewes..by using the spotter scope..

Pretty discouraged, upset and yes ANGRY....no sheep...

steven

Srupp: I've guide a few people over the years that fit the bill of not being SHEEP HUNTERS, in every case they bring forth a story much like yours. I would like to hear George's and Dave's side before jumping on the poor, poor Srupp band wagon like many here.

Stone Sheep hunting is not for the whinny and weak hearted so if you are going to try for year 18. Please suck it up and have a good time after all the country is beautiful and it is hard to determine full curl legal sheep with tears in your eyes.

I congratulate you on your helping people here on the site with your knowledge of Coastal Bear hunting and always being available to assist. However blaming your partners for your own lack of success won't help you get a Ram.:frown:

Big Bucks
09-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Willy you gotta be kidding me !!!!

Dirty
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
It is too bad that your trip did not work out as planned. If I were you I would find a new spot next year. That is way too many people in one area if you ask me. It is unfortunate that age is not on your side. With the years spent it would almost be worth it to go on a guided hunt. You can find a decent buy on the guided sheep hunt at the Wild Sheep Society banquet. That being said I witnessed one guided hunter that failed to get sheep, with horse provided, because he was too old and too out of shape to get above them. Use this as ammunition and encouragement to train and focus on a new goal next year. I am sure after this many years hunting stone sheep, you must be extremely frustrated. I was really looking forward to reading a success story this year.

mountainman
09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Srupp: I've guide a few people over the years that fit the bill of not being SHEEP HUNTERS, in every case they bring forth a story much like yours. I would like to hear George's and Dave's side before jumping on the poor, poor Srupp band wagon like many here.

Stone Sheep hunting is not for the whinny and weak hearted so if you are going to try for year 18. Please suck it up and have a good time after all the country is beautiful and it is hard to determine full curl legal sheep with tears in your eyes.

I congratulate you on your helping people here on the site with your knowledge of Coastal Bear hunting and always being available to assist. However blaming your partners for your own lack of success won't help you get a Ram.:frown:

You Sir have obviously never met Steven Rupp.
The man has the heart of a lion and not one devious bone in his entire body!!!
I am sure he has already started planning to make the next trip for a Stone sheep.
I have spent time with Steven and heard his stories, he would never say anything bad about anyone unless it is the entire truth and this from what Steven has said this sounds like it really hurt him. But I gaurantee that it will not keep him down for long.

Not that Steven needs anyone on here defending him ( he is totally capable) but there are people here that know Steven and consider him a dear friend!

I really do not see how Steven being bummed out about his partners forcing him to leave his hunt early is him blaming them for his lack of success :roll:

Maybe if they had of been better prepared they would have stayed and he would have had a chance maybe not, but you sure don't get a chance driving a couple of guys back after 4 days of hunting.

BigBanger
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Oh please , it sounds like he had one shity partner . He has said good stuff about dave and crap about George . If I were him after 17 years trying I would have told them I was staying , have a nice walk home . It will be nice to hear all three sides of the story . I cant wait .

tikkat3
09-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I think Steve is such a nice guy he let George screw up his hunt....

Sitkaspruce
09-14-2008, 01:40 PM
That is too bad about the hunt Steve.

You must have the most bad luck I have ever heard from a hunter. It seems that 90% of your hunts end up with some reason or another for not being successful (other than no animals around). Maybe you need to change your MOJO!!!!:-P

As a side note, when ever I go with someone on a hunting trip, we always spend the last night going over each others stuff. making sure that what we have is needed and adequate. Some times you get tunnel vision and miss something important, so the other partners(s) always get to look over my stuff, a sort of double/tripple check. Maybe it might be a good idea to incorporate this into any future hunts, especially with strangers.

This is also a good example to show you that $3000 in gear is no guarantee in a successfull hunt.

Better luck on your future hunts.......

SS

steepNdeep
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Bummer dude! It would be good to know your partners if heading 20kms in... I'm surprised that you didn't say Cya and keep hunting...

Sounds like there a few here that could help you out. You seem to bend over backwards for everyone else. I'm sure it will come together for you.

willy442
09-14-2008, 02:54 PM
You Sir have obviously never met Steven Rupp.
The man has the heart of a lion and not one devious bone in his entire body!!!
I am sure he has already started planning to make the next trip for a Stone sheep.
I have spent time with Steven and heard his stories, he would never say anything bad about anyone unless it is the entire truth and this from what Steven has said this sounds like it really hurt him. But I gaurantee that it will not keep him down for long.

Not that Steven needs anyone on here defending him ( he is totally capable) but there are people here that know Steven and consider him a dear friend!

I really do not see how Steven being bummed out about his partners forcing him to leave his hunt early is him blaming them for his lack of success :roll:

Maybe if they had of been better prepared they would have stayed and he would have had a chance maybe not, but you sure don't get a chance driving a couple of guys back after 4 days of hunting.

Mountain Man; I am not an enemy of Steven Srupp (unless he chooses to make me one). The point I'm making is that every year he goes through major planning to head out on a Stone Sheep hunt. Every year it's cut short and he returns with a big sob story about how some one else wrecked his hunt. So suck it up and move on, or better yet, why don't you go out and be his partner. :roll:

Kechika
09-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Slander the Pilots...Slander the G/O's..Slander the weather..Slander your partners..Slander Peters hunting partners..Srupp may do lots for others,but this thread as many of his others show his true colors.Point the finger at no one but yourself.

I wish I could ask for a "Pity Party" every time I went out and came home skunked or had a run in with a bunch of pricks......Suck it up princess

mountainman
09-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Mountain Man; I am not an enemy of Steven Srupp (unless he chooses to make me one). The point I'm making is that every year he goes through major planning to head out on a Stone Sheep hunt. Every year it's cut short and he returns with a big sob story about how some one else wrecked his hunt. So suck it up and move on, or better yet, why don't you go out and be his partner. :roll:

Well Willy I would go out and be his partner anytime he would have me if I could make it!
Steven would never make an enemy of anyone, may not respond to someone but I don't think he has a mean bone anywhere.
Did you possibly read about his hunt last year??? Hiked into the same spot solo, glassed and did his best to get his sheep. I don't remember him blaming anyone for a ruined hunt. I do believe he considered it successfull as he saw legal rams.

Oh and by the way I don't think I ever said you were an enemy of SRUPP I said you obviously had never met him.

I would love to go in with Steven on a sheep hunt, being that I am from Alberta and can not hunt sheep in B.C. without a guide makes it a little more difficult. But I could run a video camera on his hunt and would do that in a heart beat especially if it meant him coming home successful!

willy442
09-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Well Willy I would go out and be his partner anytime he would have me if I could make it!
Steven would never make an enemy of anyone, may not respond to someone but I don't think he has a mean bone anywhere.
Did you possibly read about his hunt last year??? Hiked into the same spot solo, glassed and did his best to get his sheep. I don't remember him blaming anyone for a ruined hunt. I do believe he considered it successfull as he saw legal rams.

Oh and by the way I don't think I ever said you were an enemy of SRUPP I said you obviously had never met him.

I would love to go in with Steven on a sheep hunt, being that I am from Alberta and can not hunt sheep in B.C. without a guide makes it a little more difficult. But I could run a video camera on his hunt and would do that in a heart beat especially if it meant him coming home successful!

You should read back a little from the post you speak of last year, to the one about how his year was wrecked due to a partner cancelling out.
I actually felt sorry for him and pm'd a couple of good spots and info to him. Sorry but I have to agree with Kechika.:sad:

srupp
09-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks Ketchika and Willy 442..made my day lol..:biggrin:..had to laugh my ass off at you guys..good one..

You have every right to your opinions..and to express them here and where ever..

I share the good the bad and the ugly..honestly..you are free to doubt whether I am a sheep hunter or not....I havnt given up..and I assure you it takes a lot more effort to get myself into the mountains than some 25 year old that weighs 120 pounds less than I ..I have kept on trying....I am not a quiter...
Suck it up?? I did and I made it in and out...didnt need a plane ..or charter..and found legal rams..

Funny everytime I came back with Boone and Crockett animals hmm caribou, grizzly.. or successful hunts in the past 4 years .....I understand some only are interested in the successful kill shots ..fair enough....I enjoy those also...I overcame all the obstacles I could..and the ones I couldnt do anything about...ie a partner coming unprepared and pulling the plug 4 days in..I report on..and you feel its open season on ME?? ok I guess..

Im willing to post my successes..of kills I was in on in the past 4 years..you post yours Ketchika..or Willy 442...I will admit up fron I wont have any stone sheep there..but I dont count all my successes in kills..I found legal rams this year by counting on ME..and me getting into sheep country not relying on pilots..and then having the skills and equipment to spot legal rams.... but I can understand why Im the sniveller for inviting a new hunter..David whom I enjoyed hunting with on the hunt..and George who wanted to come along..... I did my part...yes I understand that I should have stood my ground and demanded my way resorting to fisticuffs..etc etc etc..

I am too busy with planning other hunts to spend too much time reliving my past mistakes..I have ALREADY made arrangements for stone sheep for next year..lol yes different area....and not to repeat past mistakes regarding hunting partner picks..

I havnt the time to spend days or weeks bemoaning the sheep hunt..I reported what happened...the beautiful country.. and why we were back from a 14 day hunt in under 5 days..

If Dave wants to , he can give his account of his sheep hunt...I can understand his reluctance to post here if the response is going to be so brutal...

ketchika is right in that I made mistakes..I even said that to a memeber here prior to leaving that George may end up to be a mistake, I also made a mistake by not checking his gear..I did check Davids and it was exceptional gear..however he bought from the list I supplied..:tongue:..I didnt feel it was nessisary witha 67 year old with 3 other sheep on his wall already...dall, cali, bighorn..yes I was wrong by not checking his gear..another mistake..but I never claimed to be perfect....

I sucked it up each and every year..the things I could change..pilots, areas, partners I have..I have sucked it up and hiked in and out, and putting out the funds to get the gear to attempt the hunt better prepared....I have sucked it up and kept booking holidays for sheep and keep trying and already learned more lessons for next year...

Hmm my true colors?? im not a quitter..I am honest wether you like the report causes me no loss of sleep..Im sorry I dont measure up to you and your standards.....and where the HELL " im not a enemy of Steven Rupps unless he wants to make me one.." hmmm not that important in my life willy.. Pity party??? hmm too busy planning...sorry for reporting the short successful hike while armed...too short for a hunting trip... and I will keep it under advisement to only post photos of dead animals while grinning and praising every person no matter what a SOB they really are..lol

I stand by my report on the trip... and what happened ....slander??? facts are absolute defense to slander...

I was just happy to be there even for the short time... and will be back... whether I choose to report or not is still open....but it wont be to meaure up to anyones personal standards or oppinions here.

Steven :smile:

BCRiverBoater
09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Well said. Good luck on your other hunts. I do not wish downer trips on anyone. Hunting is all about getting out and enjoying the scenery, mountains and your friends company. I am sure no one enjoys this type of trip including the others.

Good luck in future stone hunts and keep in touch.

dukester
09-14-2008, 05:38 PM
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/SASKCAN/AUGTRAILCAM234.jpg
SRUPP or as we call you in Sask Syrup. ll:-Pi have been there too . thought a dude was a stand up hunting partner to only have an attitude that had to shed some blood:-P.. Get your B.C butt into sask and and I'll take you out for some Whitetail action to forget your Wow's... "Duke"

Springer
09-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Steve it's just good to hear your home safe and sound.
If I ever pull that crap with you on a hunt I will expect to walk home. I cant imagine the tension in the air on the long drive home with these characters.

Its to bad some have to jump on other's wagons about their misfortunes and a good Hunting thread turns into a pissing contest,You should know better than to even reply to someone stirring the pot . I can personally attest to seeing more game after hunting enough years with you when i would never sit still,so yes my glassing has improved my Game.

It'll happen next year and I cant wait to act Sherpa and recording the hunt.

Ya that Steve Rupp,dont know about this guy probably shoots Grouse with a 12 Gauge shotgun to !!!:-P

willy442
09-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks Ketchika and Willy 442..made my day lol..:biggrin:..had to laugh my ass off at you guys..good one..

You have every right to your opinions..and to express them here and where ever..

I share the good the bad and the ugly..honestly..you are free to doubt whether I am a sheep hunter or not....I havnt given up..and I assure you it takes a lot more effort to get myself into the mountains than some 25 year old that weighs 120 pounds less than I ..I have kept on trying....I am not a quiter...
Suck it up?? I did and I made it in and out...didnt need a plane ..or charter..and found legal rams..

Funny everytime I came back with Boone and Crockett animals hmm caribou, grizzly.. or successful hunts in the past 4 years .....I understand some only are interested in the successful kill shots ..fair enough....I enjoy those also...I overcame all the obstacles I could..and the ones I couldnt do anything about...ie a partner coming unprepared and pulling the plug 4 days in..I report on..and you feel its open season on ME?? ok I guess..

Im willing to post my successes..of kills I was in on in the past 4 years..you post yours Ketchika..or Willy 442...I will admit up fron I wont have any stone sheep there..but I dont count all my successes in kills..I found legal rams this year by counting on ME..and me getting into sheep country not relying on pilots..and then having the skills and equipment to spot legal rams.... but I can understand why Im the sniveller for inviting a new hunter..David whom I enjoyed hunting with on the hunt..and George who wanted to come along..... I did my part...yes I understand that I should have stood my ground and demanded my way resorting to fisticuffs..etc etc etc..

I am too busy with planning other hunts to spend too much time reliving my past mistakes..I have ALREADY made arrangements for stone sheep for next year..lol yes different area....and not to repeat past mistakes regarding hunting partner picks..

I havnt the time to spend days or weeks bemoaning the sheep hunt..I reported what happened...the beautiful country.. and why we were back from a 14 day hunt in under 5 days..

If Dave wants to , he can give his account of his sheep hunt...I can understand his reluctance to post here if the response is going to be so brutal...

ketchika is right in that I made mistakes..I even said that to a memeber here prior to leaving that George may end up to be a mistake, I also made a mistake by not checking his gear..I did check Davids and it was exceptional gear..however he bought from the list I supplied..:tongue:..I didnt feel it was nessisary witha 67 year old with 3 other sheep on his wall already...dall, cali, bighorn..yes I was wrong by not checking his gear..another mistake..but I never claimed to be perfect....

I sucked it up each and every year..the things I could change..pilots, areas, partners I have..I have sucked it up and hiked in and out, and putting out the funds to get the gear to attempt the hunt better prepared....I have sucked it up and kept booking holidays for sheep and keep trying and already learned more lessons for next year...

Hmm my true colors?? im not a quitter..I am honest wether you like the report causes me no loss of sleep..Im sorry I dont measure up to you and your standards.....and where the HELL " im not a enemy of Steven Rupps unless he wants to make me one.." hmmm not that important in my life willy.. Pity party??? hmm too busy planning...sorry for reporting the short successful hike while armed...too short for a hunting trip... and I will keep it under advisement to only post photos of dead animals while grinning and praising every person no matter what a SOB they really are..lol

I stand by my report on the trip... and what happened ....slander??? facts are absolute defense to slander...

I was just happy to be there even for the short time... and will be back... whether I choose to report or not is still open....but it wont be to meaure up to anyones personal standards or oppinions here.

Steven :smile:

And the crying continues; Please send towels to the Williams Lake Ambulance office.:)

srupp
09-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Dukester..I WILL be in Sask. for whitetail in 2009 or 2010..as a Paramedic buddy moved there to race dogs..keep in touch would love a big pig Sask whitie..THANK YOU..this year its eastern Alberta whitie and mulie and moosie hunt in November

The drive home was even more exciting when the same guy anounced he 'didnt bring his wallet or Visa to help with any of the costs..:cool:..."

Thanks Springer...I dont know what particular aspect of my efforts failed to meet the lofty expectations of some here...those who know me ...know who I am and what I do for others and my successes..and I WILL keep on being who I am...cuz...well its who I am..from inviting new hunters out every year at my costs..to giving out info learned from 30 years of field experience..to getting out there and trying in spite of injuries and being overweight...I speak the truth and some young pups cough up 'slander"

There is not one man woman that can stand up on this site and say I have done anything but try and be extremely helpful and honest in my dealing with them..and THE PERSONAL attack on me by several memebers on this site is beyond my comprehension....

I was disapointed also in the outcome... and to be personally attacked and judged on who I really am by those that dont know me..but think they have some given right to kick me whan Im down.....

Sorry to dissapoint you...im already picking up the pieces..and will continue to be the same old Steven...because my parents raised me that way to be the best I can...

If you want to really learn who I am come let me buy you acoffee and find out for your selves..and stop jumping to wrong conclusions..

Steven:biggrin:

Kechika
09-14-2008, 06:47 PM
First off Srupp I respect your skills...nothing else.Secondly Im past the point of posting picks of my trophies to build up my ego.Thirdly the whole slander thing.I believe it is slander when the other parties have no way of defending themselves.The internet is a viscious place where "Rumors" run rampant.Till your Stone Sheep post of last year,you one of the few on my list that I'd like to meet but alas you never know what ya get on the intraweb.Hunting Stone Sheep is undoubtably one of the most challenging and rewarding hunts on the planet and your 17 years are a testament to that.Have some self respect and takes the little lump life dishes out,pointing fingers gets ya now where.Nuff said Im done with this

Gateholio
09-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Actually slander is when you say untrue things about a person, specifically if you say untruths with the intention of doing his reputation harm. It doesn't matter if someone doesn't have the opportunity to defend themselves, just if it is true or not.:tongue:

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Gatehouse, You dont know how to bake a good apple pie.:lol:

mountainman
09-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I am still trying to figure out what the problem is with what Steven wrote. He spoke his side of the story if the others want to come in and defend themselves then let them.
Don't attack someone because you think you know more then the people that were there :confused:
I plan to meet up with Steven this fall again while he is in Alberta and buy him a coffee and hear the entire story face to face. :cool:
Hopefully by then I will have a couple stories to tell myself about this years hunting.:cool::mrgreen:
Here is to Steven and everyone else here having a productive, enjoyable and safe hunting season!

Gateholio
09-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Gatehouse, You dont know how to bake a good apple pie.:lol:

That would be slander, right there!:biggrin:8-)

Kody94
09-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Secondly Im past the point of posting picks of my trophies to build up my ego.

So, you're saying that people posting pictures of trophies from their hunts is just for stroking their ego? By extension, a self confident hunter with nothing to prove to anyone, including himself, won't post pictures of his trips?

What a crock, IMHO, if that's what you are saying. Feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted your comment.

Cheers,
4ster

moosinaround
09-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Steven, don't stop posting! Two folks from here didn't "appreciate" your story, but MANY others did. Like I said in my first post, chin up!! Good things come to those who percevere! That sheep will be all the sweeter, and will be the trophy of a life time!! If your up north around PG, stop in, hunting stories are welcome. No need for pictures, i'll use my imagination! Moosin

The Dawg
09-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Steven, don't stop posting! Two folks from here didn't "appreciate" your story, but MANY others did. Like I said in my first post, chin up!! Good things come to those who percevere! That sheep will be all the sweeter, and will be the trophy of a life time!! If your up north around PG, stop in, hunting stories are welcome. No need for pictures, i'll use my imagination! Moosin

x 2...you are more than welcome here anytime you want to head up!
Keep posting!

srupp
09-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks Ketchika..I agree with you..I know I have the skills and knowlege to pass along some help from time to time and try to do that..regardless..and yes stone sheep are the hardest to pursue..but not just because I cant connect..I WILL next year..I am successfull harvesting a lot of different species..with some exceptional large trophies...lol just not stone sheep..yet..my point was most of my hunting trips end with bang- flop...

Mountainman I too find it puzzling...obviously it is personal with a couple of guys..I dont know why the personal attacks..I have never met either..the facts of the hunt both this and last are truthful and as they happened..

Willy442 if you want to personally attack me and my abilities or accounts of events from wherever you feel you have "better info" get the FACTS straight..and leave any references to my EMPLOYMENT out of this it has nothing to do with my carreer...

I never asked for , nor demanded respect for who I am , nor what I do, nor what I have contributed....I never complained about the guide..he has the right to be there nor the Russians..nor even Peters group they were there before we got into the valley....the one incident I refer to showed total lack of courtosy for another hunter already considering a shot on a animal.....I never complained about anything about David...and I dont feel he would complain about me..but maybe Im wrong..

I did complain about George, unprepared, no rain gear, improper toy tent..cotton clothes....and his sudden demand to end the 12 day hunt after 4 days.....and some individuals feeling this was somehow my fault and I shouldnt complain or whine or slander...hmmm 2 weeks booked off ..considerable $$$ on equipment...inviting others along so my wife wouldnt be so concerned about my well being alone in the mountains..

sheeeesh

Steven

jml11
09-14-2008, 10:02 PM
LOL, I think everybody who hunts makes excuses for not being successful legit or not: too many other hunters, too hot, animals staying in the timber, too many predators, wind wasn't right, other hunters scared animal off, gun must have been off, hunting partner made too much noise, truck drove by, couldn't get a good shot, and so on and on, THAT'S HUNTING!!!

Srupp in no way does it seem like you were making EXCUSES for your lack of success, I see it that you were explaining the facts and events of your trip in a diplomatic fashion. You didn't BLAME anyone rather you were simply disgruntled by some of the events, particulary a hunting partner. If others see it as making excuses, then it's there problem and I feel sorry for them and they must see everything in negative light and in no way would have been able to satisfy them. Why they would care and even comment is beyond me. As for calling you a princess, what throne are they on??

If posting photos is all about ego boosting as some say, then I ask those people why even take any photos at all?? Are you not going show anyone at all or tell pepole about your adventure?? Nothing wrong with sharing your enjoyment with others IMO. Isn't that what this forum is for??

Krico
09-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for sharing - I enjoy reading about other people's adventures, and having pics to look at make it that much better. Too bad "George" didn't work out so well...

Mik
09-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Those are fantastic photos, the country looks great and the story even better. Thanks for posting and best of luck in your other hunts.

Leaseman
09-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Stevie-
God to talk to you last night, haven't been on the computer since Friday! Enjoyed hearing your story in "person" and re reading it here this am.....

I am honored to have you as a friend and enjoy pur hunting and fishing trips together. Nick looks up to you as an Uncle and is always asking when we are getting together next...

Funny how some people always try to spoil others stories.... They must have a real chip on their shoulders or a bee stuck up somewhere.... Makes it hard at time to keep helping others!

Talk to you soon!

Mike

p.s.... maybe next year you can drag my ass up the mountains...:wink::roll:

pitbell
09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
srupp,
your pics and stories are one of the reasons I like this forum so much. You have every right to explain why you were unsuccessfull and back early. If you didn't everyone would of given you a hard time for not explaining why. You handled yourself well imo. A long walk home would of been the least George's problems if he was my partner. Just ignore the posts by you know who. Theres one (or two) at every party.

Big Bucks
09-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Srupp is great reading your stories , and pics are always better , don't mind the 2 butt heads writting stupid comments , if they don't like what your saying don't read it then . It's to bad there is always a couple in a bunch that make it bad .

good hunting to ya .

ryanb
09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Why didn't you drop the two at the greyhound terminal in Ft. Nelson and let them bus home and head back in yourself?

BCrams
09-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow....I am surprised with the number of hunters you ran into in there. I assume some folks have been sharing too much as far as where to go hunt sheep and hence it has now become crowded due to past success of sheep hunters.

Some of the problems you ran into regarding the other hunting parties ..... while they may exhibit lack of respect etc., it is certainly is bound to happen sometimes to anyone and one just needs to make the best of the situation and use them to your advantage. Sometimes you will have to suck it up and compete with them for the rams.

Your hunting partners on the trip.....it appears an agreement was reached 'prior' to your trip to go for 14 days. Given the number of hunters in there, I would have been happy to hike out and inform the member who wants to quit after 4 days that you would be happy to drop him off either in Toad River or Fort Nelson where he or they can take the bus home so you can finish your sheep hunt. Unless it is a family emergency or falling sick on the trip, if the person wants to quit early....the response they'll get from me is, "I'll drop you off at the closest bus station where you can go home" or "Sheep hunting is tough, sleep it off for a couple days in the tent to regroup your mental thoughts"

As for your hunting style of glassing vs burning boot leather - you did the right thing for that area!!

srupp
09-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Guys...

LMAO..BCRAMS we DID meet another couple who BLASTED by us on the way in and several hours later came out..DAY HUNTING 12 kilometers back..

we talked briefly with the couple who were from Prince George and fgound out about this place from their good friends BCRAMS and Deaddog..lmao..

:rolleyes:

And DAVID was a good partner...a GREAT learner..I have no complaints about him he's young and enthusiastic..showed up with ALL the right gear, good attitude..I think he just had enough of georges whining and lack of proper gear..after all it was Davids tent george asked to sleep in when georges sprang a leak...lol DAVID WAS FINE....

Good insite on what to do..I will keep it under advisement however I am sure it will never happen again..i hope..:redface:

Greg i was AMAZED how much better the Swarovski was than the leupold..I was finding sheep all over..and seeing those rams was awesome..I still feel like a kid in a candy store seeing those rams... and from the one lookout I could glass several valleys..hoping all the foot traffic would push a ram out over a ridge..

Leasemen just loading the truck to go to where NICK got his buck last year..will call soon..I had to work as hard as I could just to get in and out with a pack..but as hard as it was it WAS worth it to see the scenery and the sheep..

Steven

BCrams
09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
we talked briefly with the couple who were from Prince George and fgound out about this place from their good friends BCRAMS and Deaddog..lmao..

:rolleyes:

Can you tell me who these guys are who claimed they got it from me??

I 'know' I havn't said a peep to anyone except you after learning DD had passed it onto you as I knew he knew of the area too. Another reason I never have told anyone is because I also have hunted there and would have liked to return (not now though after hearing about the number of guys). As far as I am concerned, I am one of the stingiest SOB out there as far as keeping sheep areas quiet........so yes, I am calling them out on it that they just plucked my name into it.

srupp
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
absolutley..lol it was a husband and wife...late 40's and they "claimed " they were very good friends with you she had a .270 Weatherby with S/S fluted barrel...nice rifle..she wore glasses..

After our Sheridan lake neighbors turned out to be good friends with you why not this trip lol...no biggee as they were in and out the same day however they DID in fact use BOTH your and Dead dogs names but thats what they said... David was there when this was being discussed also...

I dont know just laughing..at the first name they mention...

cheers

Steven

BCrams
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
absolutley..lol it was a husband and wife...late 40's and they "claimed " they were very good friends with you she had a .270 Weatherby with S/S fluted barrel...nice rifle..she wore glasses..

After our Sheridan lake neighbors turned out to be good friends with you why not this trip lol...no biggee as they were in and out the same day however they DID in fact use BOTH your and Dead dogs names but thats what they said... David was there when this was being discussed also...

I dont know just laughing..at the first name they mention...

cheers

Steven

Laughing - I know who they are. I know them really well.....however I didn't tell them about that area lol......but I know DD did as they told me they had talked to him and told me where it was and my response was "its a good area, and you can't go wrong with it" and that was it!! So in essence, I backed up what they found out but did not give maps or anything of the sort!

Avalanche123
09-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow I wondered why this thread was so long.....

Regardless of what went on, I enjoyed the pics and most of your story. Sucks to hear about all the additional people you encountered and the reactions of those you went with.

Give it some time then try and then critically evaluate on what worked and what didn't for all these hunts you have been on and then make changes.

Sorry to hear your trip was cut short and ended negatively however I am sure there are lots of positives too.

Best of luck to you for the rest of your hunting season.

srupp
09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Its OK Greg they were SUPER nice couple who loved to hike and hunt and she was the FIRst lady I have met that was absolutley tickeled to see grizzlies out while they were hiking /hunting...

avalanche yes there were a LOT of hunters but that could have been worked with..will never know while sitting at home....no stone sheep here..lol I was prepared to keep glassing and scouting and hunting ....never know till the hunt is over...

I still saw some great country rams, caribou..met some nice people and so not all was lost..

Steven

MattB
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Too bad about the hunt Srupp. I think its also best to thoroughly glass an area before moving on. If that means glass from your tent before moving then thats what i'll do. Id rather see the animal before it sees me, i think thats the best way to hunt!

srupp
09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Matt I agree..its no use standing on your legs holding binos with one hand and casually glassing the entire area for a minute and proclaiming there are no sheep there..

I have seen these sheep feed into site where a moment before there was nothing or stand up to stretch laying where no one could see them...or as with this big ram.. there was nothing there for hours and suddenly 2 ewes and a lamb were on the top...and a few moments later a 7/8 ram and the full curl came right accross the snow and over the top..

These stone sheep blend in so well..and I enjoyed glassing trying to outsmart them (hmm maybe not my best suit ..lol) or at least see them before they see me..

Already planned the next one that one is history LEARN and move on....

Steven

BiG Boar
09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Sorry for not logging on sooner but life has been busy being newly wed and just having moved to Walnut grove.

For me the hunt was a success! I went on this hunt hoping to be along side Steven when he got his first Stone sheep. I wanted to learn how to hunt and even more just to see how to do a hike in hunt properly. I didnt know George previous to the the trip but as soon as I met him I had a bad feeling about him. He was a very negative individual and seemed very selfish. I normally dont like hanging around negative people because they wear on you. But as I didnt have a choice and he was already there, I thought it best to give him a chance.

What did I think of this hunt? What is my point of view on the whole thing? I felt really bad wanting to leave early on the hunt. I was sitting on the fence with wanting to stay or head home. I aggreed to go in for 12 days and had the intent to stay there. The trip cost me a lot, $3000 in great gear that will last a long time and taking time off work unpaid.

I think I would feel the same if I were in Stevens shoes, he put a lot into this hunt in $'s and in time preparing. George was a very impatient man, and I dont think he was a real hunter. He thought it was going to be easy with us being alone in the valley and sheep covering the mountain side. I dont think he realized that to find a legal ram and shoot it can take many years. He had only been on fly in hunts before and was used to having everything his way, as he often did these hunts solo. He was on a tight budget for this hunt as he is retired. He wore a rain poncho which was hilarious. He had his wife buy him his tent, it was absolutley brutal. He had to hold his hands and feet up on the sides to keep if from blowing over and ripping to shreds. What a piece of junk! I have never laughed so hard as when he was describing this in 100kmph winds. We should have checked his gear. It was dangerous the stuff he came in with. Steve and I thought he has been on 3 dall hunts that he should be prepared. Anyways, the weather was alright and the rain was light but if there was a storm he would have been screwed. And I had the 2 man tent.

I did learn a lot though from Steve. He was a great guy and I hope to hunt with him again. In then end I was just sick of George and hearing his crap. He actually wanted to poach a Caribou, which I didnt tell Steve yet. But overall this guy was just a real terrible person to be around. I am normally a nice guy but when he came crying crawling into my tent I had had enough. His negative attitude and underpreparedness ruined this hunt. Biggest lesson I learned is good hunting partners are hard to find. And go with people you know and trust. We actully thought he was going to snake us when we were splitting up the bills at home. Luckily his wallet was in the house.

I didn enjoy the hunt and I did learn a lot, and I do have a new found respect for any person who has a stone sheep on thier wall. I probably wont go for sheep until I have more time on my hands. It takes patients and time, and I really cant afford 2 weeks off a year at this point in my life.

Dave out.

Gateholio
09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Everyone I meet in the bush I tell them "BC Rams sent me here!!"

:tongue::smile:

srupp
09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks Dave for confirming what I tried to originally share on why we came out early... no excuses just what happened...GEEEEZ I didnt know about him wanting to POACH a caribou..was he at least gonna SHARE the ill gotten gains???lol doesnt surprise me in hind site...

BUT I TAKE FULL RESPOSIBILITY for him being invited along.

Now Gate... do you know anyone to make a sign for KWATNA..

"BCRAMS HUNTS HERE " ????:roll::biggrin:

LMAO

cHEERS

Steven

HD95
09-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Geez srupp;Sounds to me as though you were doing everything right.In my view,the only thing you did wrong was not telling George to hit the f@#king trail and wait by the truck(if he needed a ride back),then carry on with your adventure.I've been on numerous sheep hunts,they've all been excellent experiences.

Avalanche123
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey guys, don't sweat the gear stuff. It will be around for many years to come and consider it an investment towards future adventures! :)

For the record, from the little experience I have with sheep hunting, it is best to let you eyes to the walking around as opposed to putting on unnecessary mileage wandering up mtns. If a person wants that, then just go hiking.
srupp, I think your formula is fine. Now about this George guy...hmmmmm!

srupp
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Avalanche123..ya I got a e-mail from someone who had previous "experiences " with george..sounds like same guy and same story previously..damn...oh well no one lost a eye or limb..

Steven

dana
09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Steven,
Sorry to hear about your hunt. Was hoping this was going to be 'THE' year for ya. Although a $hitty deal bailing early, it might have just been a blessin for ya. Never know what could have happened as the week progressed hunting with a guy like that.
Lookin forward to seeing how the rest of the season goes for ya. Since you have a sheep tag, you might as well find yourself a big ol' cali eh?

srupp
09-15-2008, 07:45 PM
shhhhh quad is loaded to check for some deer in an area that has a few Calies in there...

Ya Steve..when I learned that this clown wanted to poach a cariboo that was the final straw...geeeez.....yes maybe a blessing...oh well..as my dentist always says "spit happens":roll:..

I have my partners lined up for next year..no fooling around..honest reliable individuals..or so their probation officers say...:wink:

cheers

Steven

BiG Boar
09-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I have to clear up what happened on the top of the mountain with peters group of friends. I was alone and glassing sheep and wondering if I was going to make a go for them. My mistake was not bringing a spotting scope with me. Each hunter should have thier own spotting scope. When I saw them on the top of the mountain next to me I gave them no sign to tell them to stay away. They were good guys, gave me lots of good advice meeting them in camp and went out of their way to come say hi. Thats how I saw it anyways. Now if they shot a ram that I was glassing I say good for them. I wasnt able to make a positive legal ram out of any of them with just my binos, and I wasnt going to climb down the other side of the mountain to take a closer look at potential rams. There was a storm picking up at the time and I was forced to abandon that stalk. 100kmph winds and snow and rain. Couldnt feel my toes or fingers. Next time double socks and mitts over gloves. I have no hard feelings against these guys and I think it wasnt clear to srupp what happened up there. I know one of the guys is a member on here and so I just wanted to make clear what happened. they have 5 sheep between 4 of them in that area and so must know what they are doing. Hope thier hunt turned out great and peter gets his Ram!

ElkMasterC
09-15-2008, 08:45 PM
And the crying continues; Please send towels to the Williams Lake Ambulance office.:)

I fail to see why you find it necessary to act like that.

I liked the reports, and I think he recounted it in an honest and fair manner.
Especially being an Inertially Superior human being, as he claims, good on ya, Steve, sheep hunting is frickin' hard.
If the others have memberships, and wanna wade in, let 'em.

Silly442: You watch FOX News...don't you......... :roll:
You probably think Bill O'Reilly is God, and Anne Coulter is wicked smart.

Wickkkked smarrrttttt..... LMAO

Gateholio
09-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, lets keep the insults off the thread, please...

willy442
09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
[quote=ElkMasterC;329118]I fail to see why you find it necessary to act like such a douchebag.

I liked the reports, and I think he recounted it in an honest and fair manner.
Especially being an Inertially Superior human being, as he claims, good on ya, Steve, sheep hunting is frickin' hard.
If the others have memberships, and wanna wade in, let 'em.

Silly442: You watch FOX News...don't you......... :roll:
You probably think Bill O'Reilly is God, and Anne Coulter is wicked smart.

Wickkkked smarrrttttt.....[/quote

I guess I just don't buy into the sympathy mode like many on here. If you hunting Stone Sheep you have to accept the cards the way they fall. In my opinion SRUPP could have kept his mouth shut about his partners and not hunted with them again. To call them out in the fashion he did and blame his lack of success on them is cheap and childish. If he wants to hunt the North grow a set of nuts and stop the whinning. The poor poor pitiful me scenario don't cut it.:-(

Avalanche123
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Funny how people look at things isn't it. I guess I didn't see srupp's report in the negative fashion some people did. I would have thought that telling someone to "grow a set of nuts" would be considered cheap and childish? Wow I must look at things differently than most people. Either that or I belong on a different site.

GH offers great advise above.

See GH's advise above.

ElkMasterC
09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Good on ya, Av123... apparently it's OK to insult someone's integrity and manhood, but it's not OK to put a label on the offender.

I guess the best thing to do now is ignore it, and hope it goes away.
(psssst: By "it" I mean that guy that's really negative on this thread. I can't tell you who he is...you'll have to guess)

BTW, Gates, I tamed down my post a little, for propriety's sake, but not B4 it was cut and pasted..lol.
I guess someone is sitting at home eagerly awaiting opportunities to pounce. :roll:

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. There's always some lame-O that has to turn it into a pissing match.

Good on ya, Steve, and I might be looking for a partner next year if you don't have 12 offers already. Altho it sounds like you're well set up with David.
I'm off for Cali's next week, and I'm gonna glass, glass, glass, and save my boots and *ss.

Woooo!

(That George sounds like a crossbow hunter anyway...you're best rid of him)

BCRiverBoater
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Wow...how this thread went down hill. One person tells his version of the story and one twists it however he wishes. Everyone has their right to read and view these forums and respond. Not sure if name calling is mature and called for but each to their own.

I read the post about a guy who's hunt was cut short. The fact he hunted 5 days and not 14 may hurt ones chances of being successful. The fact a guy has a crappy hunt and is down on the whole thing due to a number of unfortunate events does not mean he is making excuses etc. He did not get an animal and stated how the trip went. I see guys on here making way more lame excuses and no one jumps on them. He told the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

I guess we should all jump on everyone that says it was too hot, too many hunters, to wet, to many predators in the area etc. When a guys runs into those uncontrollable events it is okay and he had a great trip and thanks for the photos. Now a guy goes hiking for 4-5 days instead of 14 and he is a winer and a wimp? I am throughly confused on how some people think.

One can call a guy down and say he is this and that and that is okay? What about the guys doing the talking down to? What does that make them? Especially over the internet. My first thoughts are that is childish...but I guess not as childish as talking the truth about a hunt in the way you saw it.

Freshtracks
09-15-2008, 09:48 PM
[quote=willy442;329135 The poor poor pitiful me scenario don't cut it.:-([/quote]

Don't they air Terri Clarke in FSJ? I kinda like it.

Congrats on trying again for the 17th time Srupp ... it will only be sweeter when it all comes together. Please keep up the reports and the great scenery pics. If I happen to get up that way again and find a spare second I wouldn't mind sharing a coffee or brew.

btw - Do you still run into my ol buddy?

ps: willy442 ... I've always thought about doing a northern trip ... not sure if I got it to do a sheep hunt but moose/elk would suffice. How do I go about growing them nuts? :tongue:

Gateholio
09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
F

GH offers great advise above.

See GH's advise above.

Yes, please do....

Johnnybear
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey guys, lets keep the insults off the thread, please...

It's a little late for that IMO. I normally don't check out this mainland section much but I was so inpired by the original post and the awesome photos posted that I had to read the entire thread which unfortunately turned into a soap opra. I have seen threads locked for a lot less comments than have gone on here.

Anyways congrats on your hunt Srupp. I envy anyone who gets up into that awesome country and takes photos to share with all the members on this site. All the negative comments are IMO uncalled for and are really against the forum guidelines.

Gateholio
09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
It's a little late for that IMO..

Never too late to be polite, even in disagrement.8)