PDA

View Full Version : Wolves !?!

steepNdeep
09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I just returned from a bonzai trip for the elk opener. My pard's were there a day early and spotted a big black wolf ~300 yards from camp. (yeah, he was too fast at ~50 yards ;) )

Opening morning, I was in the timber near a bedding area and the only high pitched squeal that I heard was the pack of wolves - howling and barking on the other side of the ridge... :mad: I did bump a small pod in the thick and my pard did have a bull in his scope, but couldn't count points fast enough... They had moved off their usual spot into the big hole below.

I know wolves have always been up north, but I've never seen sign or heard of them in that area before, but it seems like they are migrating into southern BC in a BIG way. In the last couple years, I've seen them in 2 other areas and I'm starting to hear the same thing all over the place...

Being hunted 24/7 by one of the most efficient predators on the planet, definitely changes game patterns, (so I've read). Aside from thinning the herd almost at wil, it breaks elk into smaller mini-herds and makes them more mobile, less predictable and less vocal = tougher to kill. I'm either changing my species of focus :D or movin' to a new area... I need all the advantage that I can get... I moved to a different area and had 3 bulls going all morning, but they were in a HELL hole and I didn't have time to dive down. :shock:

Have you seen/heard a wolf recently? What is your experience competing with them???

Wildman
09-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Yup.....http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25662&highlight=wolves

Jagermeister
09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Rough and generally speaking, what area are you speaking of?

Koot
09-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Steep,
Did you get any visual ? Same spot as last year? We are off in an hour to see if we can get Mackenzie a cow.Maybe Gramps too.You never know,maybe I'll get a crack at a bull.I'd be happy with a cow for one of the junior/seniors in the group. I really want the boys to hear 'em screaming!
Later

steepNdeep
09-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Wildman - cool pics! His coat would look good hanging on a coat rack! Did you get those throught the window while you were drivin'? :cool:

Wildman
09-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Wildman - cool pics! His coat would look good hanging on a coat rack! Did you get those throught the window while you were drivin'? :cool:

Yeah that's right, I was driving w/o a rifle too......not that I would have had time to stop/load and shoot if I did. They were all around our block, nice black one too...

steepNdeep
09-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Steep,
Did you get any visual ? Same spot as last year? We are off in an hour to see if we can get Mackenzie a cow.Maybe Gramps too.You never know,maybe I'll get a crack at a bull.I'd be happy with a cow for one of the junior/seniors in the group. I really want the boys to hear 'em screaming!
Later

Koot - no different spot. They were waaay down in the thick... The boys should have a blast! Good luck and let me know how it goes!!

ElectricDyck
09-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Saw tracks and crap in 3:32, even saw a partial deer hoove in the crap. :shock:

steepNdeep
09-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Saw tracks and crap in 3:32, even saw a partial deer hoove in the crap. :shock:

Is that the wolf version of the 'ring o' fire'? :D

Ride
09-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Popped this one last week in region 7

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/S5000081.jpg

BiG Boar
09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
never even seen one. Damnit.

coach
09-25-2008, 08:59 AM
I shot a nice on in region 6 three years ago and I saw one in 3:32 last October. That one was too quick to get a shot away. From the amount of tracks in the area, it was part of a decent size pack. A friend of mine was in that area last week and said he saw lots of wolf sign and very little evidence of deer. It might be a good idea to head out that way and target some of these guys. On a side note, I saw a cougar on Esperon Main Tuesday night. Although I have seen tracks before, this is the first time I have seen one in the wild.

BMF300win.
09-25-2008, 05:51 PM
cougars and wolves are hard to find usally they find you !!! I say 1 cougar in the bella coola valley and he shot off so fast. No time for a pic. He saw the truck and bolted. Good for the guys that can actually hunt and shoot them.

coach
09-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Some people have said that when you steelhead in Gold River, you will rarely see a cougar, but most days one will see you. Food for thought..

EvanG
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I took a shot at one in 2-6 while goat hunting last weekend, too damn quick though.