PDA

View Full Version : parsnip river

mike.
09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
will be going up to parsnip river early october of a cow calf draw.
my partner has bailed on me, and I have never been there before.
I have no problem going it alone ( seems to be normal. a good partner is hard to keep) but I am looking for any tips and advice on the area.
thanks all.
Keep safe:mrgreen:

todbartell
09-11-2008, 07:54 PM
watch out for the grizz once you pull the trigger, they'll be coming

Toad Hunter
09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
What are along the Parsnip River. WE have goten a few from there over the years (and also come out empty handed).

Yes, you are correct - good partners are hard to keep.

G.

421fighter
09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
We were there last year. Check the area on your LEH, as 17 is divided into at least 4 areas, and the general regs are certainly not very accurate. I had to call M O E and ask for a better map, which wasn't all that much better. We were in "c", and there is a small sign on the roads as you pass through. Gotta look for them, though.Many hunters, and lots of them running powerfull quads. We didn't see a thing.Had 2 bull tags,but the only thing with 4 legs was a rabbit. Study google earth lots! Saw one almost fresh bear track. Seems those that were sucessfull used jetboats on the river and drifted down early a m.

mike.
09-11-2008, 08:37 PM
thanks for the tips.
and you guys are right about the bears. the sound of a gun is like a dinner bell for them. area "c" is where Im going.
hopefully it will be sucessfull trip, but if not, I would rather be in the bush than at work any day.

Ironball
09-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Which area is your draw for,7-16 or 7-23?

mike.
09-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Which area is your draw for,7-16 or 7-23?
7-23-c.........

Schmaus
09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I took my bike and went from Tacheeta Lake to the Table River last saturday. I didn't see any animals, a couple of bear tracks on the river bank and a bunch of Grayling out of the Table. 126 KM and not a lot of action. In my opinion the 7-16 side is quite abit better than the deeper 7-23 side.

pmj
09-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I have never been there but in my recreational atlas I have a hand written note that says: hunt in pairs, lots of griz.

The Hermit
09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
7-16B sucked... see above

lip_ripper00
09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
been a year or two since I was up their, where is the boundry between B and C? Table River?

Viking
09-12-2008, 07:05 AM
The boundary between "B" and "C" is at wooyalinka creek, few miles down the road from the bridge crossing the Parsnip going on the Anzac Rd. There is some cut blocks along the road, as you get down along Table river.

moosinaround
09-12-2008, 08:01 AM
The boundary between "B" and "C" is at wooyalinka creek, few miles down the road from the bridge crossing the Parsnip going on the Anzac Rd. There is some cut blocks along the road, as you get down along Table river.
It is the height of land between wooyalinka creek,and the table river for the northern boundary between b and c, and the southern boundary between c and d is the height of land between the Hominka and the missinka. See map 7)D in the LEH synopsis. Was up there earlier in the year in the hominka drainage. Lots of good cutblocks in the hominka, and the table has lots of good cutblocks as well. Did survey work up there years ago and there were quite a few moose. You will be sharing with lots of hunters, and yes lots of grizzlies.
Good luck! Give me a shout if you need more help. Moosin

jml11
09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
The thickest densities of moose in the interior are around the Parsnip River that is why it is under special management now (longer bull season and calf seasons now); however they seem to be somewhat elusive. The road hunter while probably not be too succesfull up there. Typically they are in the timber and greened up blocks. The ministry is amazed at the numbers of moose they find in 7-16/7-23 during their annual moose counts, literally dozens per block at times! And yes you will see lots of other hunters. Walk through the cutblocks and you should find some moose, the jet boaters do pretty well as stated.

Frango
09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
We had a draw in 7/23 B a couple of years ago.We where successful but like someone said keep your eyes open for grizz.We saw 3 different bears. when we came back later in the day to the gut pile we glassed a very big bear pigging out on what was left.You might have an access problem getting into zone c as the bridge was out when we where there .One of my hunting partners said that you can get into zone c from the hwy but it was rough and a long way.Good luck watch your back

jml11
09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
you shouldn't have trouble getting into the zone, getting around is a whole nother story though. THe bridges over the parsnip, which gets you into the zone is fine but many of the roads beyond that are washed out or deactivated (many more to come in near future as well), There is a bridge up the Table road which is gone at 1088km I believe (and getting a vehicle or quad across would be very risky i was told yesterday). A bunch of bridges were replaced up the hominka and the licensee even built a new crossing way up the river to access new cutblocks there. Lots of moose up the homika but not a lot of spur roads so the hunters tend to concentrate. Seen some nice moose come out of there though! If i remember correctly access up the table is via the tacheeda lakes road (800 road) and the hominika is via the chuchinka FSR. Unfortunatley there isn't a road (that I am aware off) that will connect you between the two major drainages in the zone. You would have to pretty much go back to highway to take the other road.

I'm curious where the guys in zone 7-23 E hunt, to my knowledge there are no roads back that far???

lip_ripper00
09-12-2008, 01:59 PM
FYI anyone else heading in to 7-23, 7-23A in NOT accessable from the Bear Lake side, bridge at Renolds Cr is washed out. To get in you have to come throught Kennedy sideing.

moosinaround
09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
You can connect the table and the 700 rd area via quad. The bridge that was on the bills creek 900 rd is deactivated, it connected these two areas. Quads can get across (I believe) but not trucks. Moosin

Viking
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Moosinaround, you are right, the zone "c" sign is just a bit down the road from wooyalinka creek.

moosinaround
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Moosinaround, you are right, the zone "c" sign is just a bit down the road from wooyalinka creek.
Is that where your hunting this year? Did you buy that 300wsm? Hope so, its a good caliber! You a truck drivin son of a gun yet? Catch ya on the flip flop! Moosin

jml11
09-12-2008, 07:08 PM
FYI anyone else heading in to 7-23, 7-23A in NOT accessable from the Bear Lake side, bridge at Renolds Cr is washed out. To get in you have to come throught Kennedy sideing.

It's been like that for a while, did hear that some people found a way around while scouting this year, don't know how...

jml11
09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
You can connect the table and the 700 rd area via quad. The bridge that was on the bills creek 900 rd is deactivated, it connected these two areas. Quads can get across (I believe) but not trucks. Moosin

Yes, Bills Creek road is extremely brushed in now and is even tough for Quads. The rest that isn't deactivated is scheduled for deactivation soon unfortunately.

In case anyone is interested, the moose in my avatar is a Parsnip bull from 2006.

lip_ripper00
09-12-2008, 07:24 PM
It's been like that for a while, did hear that some people found a way around while scouting this year, don't know how...

Yes the road was de-activated acouple of years ago, but passable. The bank on the McKenzie side is 95% gone. In years past you could cross a 100yds upstream, but has all grown in. If someone has found a way in good on them, I just hope they don't use the rail!

Viking
09-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Moosinaround, got shared for for 7-23b and I hooked up with the others friday night and they got the first moose that morning. they were just waiting for me to bring the 4 wheeler to get it out to camp. Now we will have to go back up for the other moose in a couple of weeks.
Not finished the driving course yet, but should be in a week or two. Haven't bought the new rifle yet. Waiting for the serverance pay.

Back to the 7-23 area. Lots of moose in the area, but it takes a little time to find where they hang out. Between us we have seen six, but only one close enough for a shot and that is now at the meat cutter.