PDA

View Full Version : Another Black Bear Attack

Little Hawk
09-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Howdy,

Not sure if anyone's posted this story yet.
Freakin' bizarre story.

Drives the point home: Never trust a black bear that is showing any interest in you; more likely than not - you are on the menu.

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=a7fd4848-1868-44bf-a5f7-8e2cfe045b57

ElectricDyck
09-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Yeah, re post. Interesting how the 2 articles are different. One says the bears is 130kg and one says it's 80kg. Glad buddy is going to recover.

elkdom
09-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah, re post. Interesting how the 2 articles are different. One says the bears is 130kg and one says it's 80kg. Glad buddy is going to recover.

There is a simple explanation for the discrepancy in the wieght of the bear in the 2 articles, simple??? 'Before and After' dinning!! duhh!

Bow Walker
09-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Bear was 'old' and in 'poor' health - most likely half-starving as well, there's the reason for the attack. First time I've ever heard of a Blackie going on the offensive.

elkdom
09-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Bear was 'old' and in 'poor' health - most likely half-starving as well, there's the reason for the attack. First time I've ever heard of a Blackie going on the offensive.

FIRST TIME ?????? hmmmmm!

quadrakid
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM
read ;Alaska Bear Tales or any number of other such books and you will gain a lot more respect for blackies. i know most of us have had encounters with lots of black bears and don,t feel too threatened. the odd black bear will stalk and hunt humans as a foodsource.

eric
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Black Bears that come around the work camp and start to get friendly-GO MISSING in a hurry.Never trust a Bear, I don't like the idea of being part of the food chain :icon_frow

elkdom
09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Black Bears that come around the work camp and start to get friendly-GO MISSING in a hurry.Never trust a Bear, I don't like the idea of being part of the food chain :icon_frow

Some camps have a place known as " The Bear Port " all Arrivals and NO Departures!!! when it comes to bear attacks and maulings fatal and deadly Black Bear attacks out number Grizzly attacks about 10 to 1 ,,, and many Black bear attacks are preditory in nature! yes, people are part of the FOOD chain! and unless you plan to kill the bear! YOU are not at the TOP! of the food chain! end of story!

Bow Walker
09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
FIRST TIME ?????? hmmmmm!
On the Island - that is......8-)

X 2, with that thought. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could toss them - and my moniker is Simpson, not Sampson! :wink:

longleader
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
The majority of incidents involving black bears being on the offensive, predatory or otherwise, never make the news. If someone gets hurt or killed, then it does.

If you know enough people who spend a lot of time in the bush, you will hear about these other "incidents". Most people just don't want the complications associated with reporting them. Remember the "3 S rule".:wink:

elkdom
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Pampered bears are dangerous!! every time a bear (preditor) has a human encounter and that bear is not threatened or harmed it becomes more dangerous than before, caught and released bears return to where they were caught in most cases, loosing fear more every time, add to that the rewards of food!! you have a big problem!! soon the bear makes all his eating associations with human contact! any one is at risk with such bears! even wild bears are extremly unpredictable! the only thing they have on thier mind is eating! and thier own safety!! once they lose fear! LOOK OUT!!

Islandguy
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I just bought a scope for my crossbow in Duncan and the fellow who runs the shop knows one of the guys there and he said the guy started out Taunting the Bear with his catch, and things went south from there. That sounds more like what happened to me.

ElectricDyck
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I just bought a scope for my crossbow in Duncan and the fellow who runs the shop knows one of the guys there and he said the guy started out Taunting the Bear with his catch, and things went south from there. That sounds more like what happened to me.

I take all 2nd hand info with skepticism. Anyway it went down a bear not afraid of humans is headed for trouble.

rainman
09-11-2008, 10:01 PM
big deal if a guy was waving a fish at him,if he swims across and boards the guys boat he MIGHT be a little too aggressive,check out the stats for surviving black bear attacks compared to grizzlies,if i had been there with a rifle he would have been feeding crabs before he got to the boat