PDA

View Full Version : opening day lookin for 4 points

winbuckhunter
09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Left Tuesday afternoon, got camp set up by 6:45, went for a tour on the quad to see if anything is moving. Right away i see a doe and a 2 point, didn't have a camera. went further and came a across 4 more does before dark.

the next morning i leave camp well before sunrise so i can get to the top of the hill before first light. go up and park the quad walk maybe 300 yards along the top of a ridge just pokin my head over ever so often. i hear some thrashing so I investigate. to my surprise its a very nice bull moose racking his antlers on some brush gettin that itchy velvet off. while im looking at the moose i see movment to my left its a buck looking right at me.. very respectable im thinking maybe 4, but he turns hjis head and hes an obvious 3 point very nice 3 point though, all by himself, well he was kinda with the moose i guess. So i keep walking see 1 doe and 3 fawns. get back to the quad around 8am. cruz over to another potential spot but this is a bedding area. Beautiful south facing slope with large timber and grass floor. Just as i walk over the ridge i spook a deer ( OH NO ) sneak over the hill, wayyyy down at the bottom is a deer walking. Hes about 400-500 yards away binos up, look, hes a four ( but just ) he was the unlucky reciever of 2nd year 4 points. So i let him walk, not this early in the season and pretty far to shoot even with a 7mm magnum. Keep sneaking around, spot 3 small bucks, 2 bedded and one feeding 2 in velvet and one scraped clean. so i let them be and backed off. walked around the hill and find 3 more moose two yearling bulls with a cow.. ( 4 POINTS ON BOTH SIDES OF BOTH OF THEM ) good genes and feed i guess. so watch them for a bit and the lay down. its now 9:30am and im hungry and a ways from camp. so i go to camp, eat them have a snooze.

Evening rolls around and the wind is houling, so i go to a few spots i know are kinda sheltered from the wind. not really feeling up to the task of hiking tonight so i road hunt from the quad saw 2 more small bucks and 5 does. hunt until dark. on my way back to camp i see a HUGE black bear on the road, one of the biggest I've seen. Pack up camp and head down. 2 hour drive to pavement get about half way out of the bush and come around a corner, 2 indians gutting a 2 point muley they shot in the dark with spot lamps. PISS ME OFF. well thats my opening day story. going back up on friday morning.. i'll keep you guys posted on the results

Nalidixic
09-11-2008, 07:21 AM
2 indians gutting a 2 point muley they shot in the dark with spot lamps. PISS ME OFF

Thats bullshit.. They should have the same regs as we have since they have access to the same grocery stores for food that we do. Did you say anything??

Nalid

huntwriter
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
On my drive out last night I heard two shots going off in the distance. It was well after legal shooting light. Could have been natives too. I can’t think of anyone else shooting at night.

Special rights or not at least natives should be forced by law to stick to the antler restriction in the four point or better seasons like anybody else. Here in region 3 we only can hunt bucks yet time and again you can see natives killing females and everything else that they can aim their rifles at from the pick up truck bed.

jimk shockey
09-13-2008, 07:54 PM
good story, damn indians they no different then we are and their aloud to do that kinda sh*t, good story. i went campin for opening day came back friday afternoon, seen few does 1 nice bull moose 7 cows n calfs 6 4point mulys passed up 2 wernt big enough and the others just to smart and didn't give me the oportunity to get a shot off, yep ill be back their very soon

hunter1947
09-14-2008, 07:25 AM
I just don't understand the way our government works sometimes ,what can we really do about it ???.

ianwuzhere
09-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Thats bullshit.. They should have the same regs as we have since they have access to the same grocery stores for food that we do. Did you say anything??

Nalid

I AGREE 100% .

newhunterette
09-14-2008, 09:08 AM
wonderful story for opening day reading about the success of spotting some nice animals - best of luck with your season

just a small side note: as much as we feel the frustration of certain ideals and given rights to our first nations population via our government try and remember Canada is multi-cultural and we are considered immigrants to this fine country even being born here therefore we all are given different rights to be here no matter how fair or unfair it seems to us - give yourself time to process the situation and given the tables turned the other way would you or would you not take advantage of the rights given in the same sense of our First Nations people however unethical or how unfair we feel it is - we will never be able to change the way things are until we can all come together as one nationality (Canadian) and not a mix of many different worlds.Saving ones heritage is wonderful as traditions from the past can be past on to new generations but we as a whole are under one Nation and that is Canada. We have First Nation Canadians, Indo-Canadians, French Canadians, German Canadians, Asian-Canadians etc, but the common word we are all CANADIANS.

just take the time to enjoy your hunting and fishing as we have it in our grasps right now and in this vast growing populated country may lose these rights all together

straight shooting

johnk
09-14-2008, 09:19 AM
wonderful story for opening day reading about the success of spotting some nice animals - best of luck with your season

just a small side note: as much as we feel the frustration of certain ideals and given rights to our first nations population via our government try and remember Canada is multi-cultural and we are considered immigrants to this fine country even being born here therefore we all are given different rights to be here no matter how fair or unfair it seems to us - give yourself time to process the situation and given the tables turned the other way would you or would you not take advantage of the rights given in the same sense of our First Nations people however unethical or how unfair we feel it is - we will never be able to change the way things are until we can all come together as one nationality (Canadian) and not a mix of many different worlds.Saving ones heritage is wonderful as traditions from the past can be past on to new generations but we as a whole are under one Nation and that is Canada. We have First Nation Canadians, Indo-Canadians, French Canadians, German Canadians, Asian-Canadians etc, but the common word we are all CANADIANS.

just take the time to enjoy your hunting and fishing as we have it in our grasps right now and in this vast growing populated country may lose these rights all together

straight shooting

I'm thinkin' you need a bigger crockpot!:wink:

TRACKnTRAIL
09-14-2008, 10:08 AM

straight shooting

Pardon Me!! Since when is it Native tradition to drive around in a
$50,000.00 dollar truck with a spotlight and a high powered rifle shooting deer? If they want to claim tradition they should do it the traditional way. I am so sick of this Political Correctness. There should be one set of laws for all CANADIANS. If you want to teach traditional ways of hunting go for it, in the same hunting season as everyone else. I'm sure when early pioneers first came to Canada they didn't have the same regulations we have now, so I guess we should all be able to claim tradition.

johnk
09-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

If I'm a descendant of George Custer is it okay to.........

newhunterette
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm thinkin' you need a bigger crockpot!:wink:

Pardon Me!! Since when is it Native tradition to drive around in a
$50,000.00 dollar truck with a spotlight and a high powered rifle shooting deer? If they want to claim tradition they should do it the traditional way. I am so sick of this Political Correctness. There should be one set of laws for all CANADIANS. If you want to teach traditional ways of hunting go for it, in the same hunting season as everyone else. I'm sure when early pioneers first came to Canada they didn't have the same regulations we have now, so I guess we should all be able to claim tradition.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

If I'm a descendant of George Custer is it okay to.........

if you actually took the time to read what I was saying you would notice I was trying to stay away from the mudslinging hysterics that people shovel because they think the regulations unfair - I am all for having the same rules and regulations as I said we in Canada are "ONE NATION" "ALL CANADIANS" an until we all can come together in this realization nothing will ever change and the "unfairness of these situations will continue" - I was trying to not be prejudice and discriminitory as one of the guidelines of HBC and I didn't want to have this turn into a political debate on "politically correctness" because it was a post of a wonderful story by winbuckhunter

No matter how you feel about how the regulations have been set up - I took the comments made regarding First Nations as extremely biggoted and prejudiced because u are lumping all First Nations together and we know there is "good" and "bad" in all races, creeds, vegetables and animals. But again these are my opinions and you are definitely entitled to yours.

so if you feel you would like to discuss my comments further feel free to pm me.

Winbuckhunter - again thank you for sharing your trip and look forward to hearing about your next expedition and what it enfolds for you this season

Ali