PDA

View Full Version : Cambell River BC

Island Blacktail
09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
go to Campbell River its teh best fishing on the coast. thats why it is the salmon fising capitail of the world.

Johnnybear
09-10-2008, 11:02 PM
go to Campbell River its teh best fishing on the coast. thats why it is the salmon fising capitail of the world.

In name only:lol:.

Totally kidding around man. I heard it has been pretty good up there this year.

kastles
09-10-2008, 11:39 PM
thats cause you never tried the fraser river where you can stand shoulder to shoulder with 150 others and hope you don't pick a spot where the guy next to you cast side-arm.

Wildman
09-11-2008, 06:18 AM

Port Alberni or ....Tofino shares the name I believe, can't remember which....anyway, fishing is much better on the North Island - GR->PH.

steel_ram
09-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Campbell River was. They days of easily limiting on Coho's and early Springs from May thru Aug. on light tackle are gone.

There use to be enough herring n the area that every marina sold live bate. Now none.

Check out the Tyee Club Website catch records. A couple of pretty slow seasons.

Steelhead fishing in local rivers is just a shadow of what it was only 15 years ago.

Sorry, but as much as I love Campbell River, it ain't what it used to be.

BigSlapper
09-11-2008, 09:32 AM
"Them's fightin words" :x ... Port Alberni (born & raised)!
All kidding aside ... both are not what they once were - unfortunately.
I remember days as a kid in the 70's and early 80's when it was common to scream down the canal at "0 dark-thirty" and have a couple 40's aboard by 10 a.m. ....
Similarily, fishing the lower Somass River (PaperMill Dam area that feeds directly into the Alberni Canal) we would consistently catch 30's to 40's that were nice and shiny ... great memories, never to be experienced again.
I also remember watching the natives fish daily with their nets (across the river at Paper Mill dam) ... many times taking 200-300 sockeye per set ... all to be dragged up to the awaiting pickups filled with ice and sold to any buyer for $5 apiece ...

I wonder where all the sockeye have gone .....? hmmmmn?

suskwa
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
hi david you're a shit disturber,are you trying to stir things up?!?! now i can remember those days you are writing about!!!! say how was your season???? cheers

thatskindafunny
09-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Caught 4 coho 12 to 15 lbs the other day. Wasn't Cambell River. Trout rod and 12 pound test. Reeled me a few times. Can't remember where I was thou.

BlacktailStalker
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
TKF, no b.s ?
Nice.

steel_ram
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Between C.R. and Alberni 20 years ago, CR for sure. Sure Port Alberni had fish when they were coming into the river, but otherwise the show was way down the canal.

Campbell river on the other hand, not only got local fish but fish traveling to larger rivers on the mainland all summer. Some of CR's most productive spots were minutes from downtown. Heck, one fella one the Summer derby with a 60+ fish off the Argonaut Wharf.