PDA

View Full Version : Elk, Moose and Deer

dutchie
09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
I am planning to do my first hunting trip around November 11-18 (a birthday hunt for me with a bunch of best friends). I really really want to get a Elk or Moose for my first animal, BUT, I have been told that it is very tricky stocking them and a week long trip is not long enough. Essentialy I just really want to get a freezer full and a nice hide for my office. (A good rack would be nice too!)

I guess the real question is should we plan the trip as a:

A - combo hunt, for Deer, Elk or Moose?
B - Stick with a Mullie or White-tail for the first animal ?
C - Go strickly for Elk or Moose?

And in your opinion what would be the best MU and sub-section be for that hunt?!

We would like to stay within a 1 day drive (8-10hrs max) of the Lower mainland and none of us have LEH tags.

Thanks!!

James M

quadrakid
09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
you might want to consider targeting deer for your first animal. your hunt time coincides with the deer rut and you will have a pretty good chance of coming home with an animal if you work at it. elk season is over before november.

Jagermeister
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I think that you need to read up on the regulations and see what is open at that time of your planned hunt.
Then take a map and draw a circle with your starting point in the middle. The circumference of your circle should represent the distance that you think that you can drive in your stated time limit of 8 to 10 hours.

Steeleco
09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Welcome James. I like ambition, but that's one tall order your asking for.
Have you or your buddies ever taken an animal. The easy part it shooting it!!!
To take on a large critter for your first, might well put you off, forever!

dutchie
09-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Have you or your buddies ever taken an animal. The easy part it shooting it!!!
To take on a large critter for your first, might well put you off, forever!

I don't think they have ever taken anything bigger then a 4 point buck.

I am not sure what to expect when I field dress my first animal but, life is all about adventure is it not?!

After the initial post I looked at the regs and openings... I think that i am dead in the water for Elk and Moose this year. (Unless we go up to MU-6 but that is a 10-12 hour drive in the summer.... So that one is out too)

brian
09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Being a novice myself I would concentrate on one animal but get tags for the others that are in the area just in case. This year we are hunting for mulies and white tail. Last year we saw a lot of moose sign in the areas where the whitetails hang out. So we are actively hunting for white tails, but picked up some moose tags just in case we run across one that is legal.

09-10-2008, 09:13 PM
You really need in a big way to hook with someone you know and can trust to help you out. Someone with a great deal of hunting experience. Although the odd person just goes out and bang bags his first big game critter, it most often is not like that, it takes years to know where, when, what etc.etc.etc.
Sorry I can't help you more. Get off the beaten path, use general seasons of any buck, any bull etc to your favour, study the regulations most importantly.Read how too's to start out.Call a C/O from an area you choose, Region 3 or 5 or 7.
Way to many variable's to send you a stray.
C/T

hunter1947
09-11-2008, 04:02 AM
If it where me I would go with plan A.