PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer vs Whitetale

Nalidixic
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey.. So what is harder to find? Mule Deer or Whitetail? Are they usually in the same locations and same habbitats? What about elevations.. Thanks..

Nalid --> Off to google to find some information as well as your responses.

tikkat3
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I've only hunted mule deer but I have always found them in the mountains, 4000' and higher and they aren't super easy to just "find" in my case, I've either stumbled upon them randomly along game trails or the tops of mountains and ridges, or saw does hanging out in fields or along fsr's

hunter1947
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM
It would be mule deer for me.

Its a lot easer to find them when the ruts on.

sawmill
09-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Here it is whities.Anywhere you look ,but you gotta look hard for a big one.Lots of dinky bucks,

brotherjack
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Mule deer tend to live up in the high mountains (not counting the local's who live in town around here), and whitetails tend to live down in the valley bottoms. Either is pretty easy to find if you're in the right country for them and are looking hard enough, and you'll be surprised from time to time to find whitetails way up high and mulies way down low.

winbuckhunter
09-10-2008, 11:49 PM
you find deer where you see them.. mulies TEND to stay high up and like steep slopes and open areas.. and whitetails TEND to like plateaus,flat landers. you find them in cut blocks in the early morning and on tree lines.. or in open trees ( the ones you can see 100 yards or so into ) thats my @ cents, hope it helps you

winbuck

Steeleco
09-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I find it next to impossible to spot and stalk Whities, yet mulies not so much.
I figure you need to pattern them and then get in the area before they do?

You guys that hunt them more often, find that too?

winbuckhunter
09-11-2008, 12:05 AM
whities are a waiting game.. EXCEPT in the rut they are hornier then a three pekered goat. and will stop at nothing to follow the doe.. i whitetail hunt in the rut and save my early season for the muleys, before they get stinky.

sawmill
09-11-2008, 04:54 AM
I find it next to impossible to spot and stalk Whities, yet mulies not so much.
I figure you need to pattern them and then get in the area before they do?

You guys that hunt them more often, find that too?

I got busted by a big whitie doe yesterday morning,walking on an old logging trail.I saw her first and froze,the wind was towards me and she still saw me and started to do that big WHOOSH snort .I did not move a muscle for five minutes and she still had me pegged out.She knew I was not normally in her spot and was therefore a danger.Smart buggers.
I have spot and stalked several whities succesfully but you gotta move slooooow.They have incredible vision.

ElectricDyck
09-11-2008, 06:57 AM
We hunted 8:14 last year and they were mixed in the same area.

happygilmore
09-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I find Whites are spooky (they don't stop and look back) but they can be paterened (usually) and they do rut harder than mulies so you can call them or rattle them in.
Mulies are hard to patern, and I have had little to no sucess calling them other than curiosty? (around here they don't rut hard at all)

spock
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
In the area that I usually deer hunt the whitetails are often up higher than the mule deer, I never see them in the same place, one hill will have whitetails on it the next one mule deer always the same hills year after year. I think it has to do with whitetails sticking closer to thick cover, whereas generally the mule deer are in more open cover making them easier to spot.