PDA

View Full Version : Day 10 - First day of rifles

rocksteady
09-10-2008, 12:32 PM
6 C this morning, clear and rained yesterday

Snuck into my restricted access area. Logging road is cut off, but once you get past the obstruction its a great walk...Wandered in there at 6:00 and went for about a km til I reached the "bowl". Log block that is about 1km in diameter and is great for spotting..

Snuck down to a point on the lip where I could see, just sat and waited.

Just past 6:30 I hear the creak of barbed wire...Somethings coming....Start glassing the top of the hill, along comes 2 cows and their calves. They came within 140 yards and fed for 15 minutes before they moved on.....No bulls with them (yet).......

Stupid me I should have tried this area during bow season.....

Walked the road to the very back end of the cutblocks, then went cross country and made my way back to the truck.....ABout 10 km round trip, but great road, very sandy, quiet and POUNDED with elk tracks......

quadrakid
09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
stick too it rocksteady,i just know your going to score soon.love getting your daily updates.

shantz
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Me too I think its one of the first things I look for on the forum always a good read. Keep it up

steelheadSABO
09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
i wsih i cuold hnut wehnver stuepid school

brotherjack
09-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I think I out-did you for once, I at least had a legal critter in my crosshairs this morning. It was a mid-sized 4 point mulie, antlers all very pretty and blood red from the velvet he probably rubbed off last night, and wouldn't you know it - the darn gravel/scree I was chasing him on shifted under me right as I was pulling the trigger, and I missed (and I mean missed bigtime). I've never missed a critter in my life!!! To add insult to injury, The Wife(tm) saw the whole thing, and the deer ran like the devil was after him and I never got another shot at him. Oh well, The Wife(tm) needed something new to pick on me about, and I guess this is it. LOL.

At least it wasn't an elk - I'd have come home really ticked off it had been an elk. A mule deer though, I should be able to find another one of those pretty easy (maybe even that same one!). I came home thinking I'd had a heck of a great opening day. :)

rocksteady
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
OUCH - Brother Jack!!! Thats gotta hurt...Oh well, hopefully he will be in the same area and give you another opportunity again....

rocksteady
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM

A :mrgreen::mrgreen:fine reason to stay in skool...

bsa30-06
09-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Better stay in school and concentrate on your studies a bit more......specially spelling:-P

Elkhound
09-10-2008, 08:43 PM
LMAO....... a few funny comments.

Man I need to get out

brotherjack
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
OUCH - Brother Jack!!! Thats gotta hurt...Oh well, hopefully he will be in the same area and give you another opportunity again....

Actually, I am of a pretty good humor about the whole incident. No pain, it's all good. It just means I get a bit more time hunting mulies in, which is one of my all-time favorite thing to do. :)

09-10-2008, 10:43 PM

Don't miss any English Classes SS, sorry, just kiddin'

hunter1947
09-11-2008, 03:50 AM
It sounds like you both come close to connecting ,to bad about the miss brother ,next time bud.

Little Hawk
09-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Indeed RS keep the reports coming.
Your play-by-play's are great!

You are going to score soon!
I envy you being able to hunt so often. Do you always hunt alone?

BJ: You are right on the money Bro; it's not always about pulling the trigger.
Last year - regardless that I shot two deer for the first time in my life - the highlight of the entire trip was calling in a spike-bull after I spooked him and his three cows after tracking/stalking them for a half-mile or more.

Good luck to all.

Terry

rocksteady
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I envy you being able to hunt so often. Do you always hunt alone?

I took the first 2 weeks of September as holidays at work, booked them off about January..:-o

I usually hunt alone, as I have had very few hunting partners who have similar experience and attitudes towards hunting. I like to hunt with my father-in-law but he lives out of town and could not get holidays:mad:...

I have had hunting "friends" open beer in the cab of the truck at 5:30 or even spark up an old fatty of the green stuff...NOT WITH ME YOU DON"T....

My best hunting partner I ever had moved to Alberta and comes back once in a awhile as a packer or spotter for me, but he can't hunt, being an Alberta residence....

True, excellent hunting partners are hard to find...

hunter1947
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I took the first 2 weeks of September as holidays at work, booked them off about January..:-o

I usually hunt alone, as I have had very few hunting partners who have similar experience and attitudes towards hunting. I like to hunt with my father-in-law but he lives out of town and could not get holidays:mad:...

I have had hunting "friends" open beer in the cab of the truck at 5:30 or even spark up an old fatty of the green stuff...NOT WITH ME YOU DON"T....

My best hunting partner I ever had moved to Alberta and comes back once in a awhile as a packer or spotter for me, but he can't hunt, being an Alberta residence....

True, excellent hunting partners are hard to find...

You got that right Mike ,I only have two hunting partners left ,the rest ether retired or moved away.