PDA

View Full Version : Truck hunters make me laugh

CT.45
09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I could not sleep a wink last night. After work, yesterday, I was out scouting and setting some GPS waypoints. I put up a decent black bear, 6 does, one 2 point buck and a bigger buck that I did not get a very good look at. I was up and out on the trail this morning before work. Started still hunting 1/2 hour before legal light, around 5am or so. Walked into a really nice spot, sat down and awaited shooting light. Just after legal shooting light, I put up 3 does and another 2 point buck. Shortly there after I started to watch from a far, the procession of trucks up and down the road. One after another, after another. I saw them slow down, making room for the oncoming traffic. I watched a couple of them chat a bit, then carry on up and down the road. I kept on seeing deer that I assume were on their way to bed. By the end of my hunt this morning, around 7:30am, I had seen 11 deer (I had to get to work). I wonder how many those road hunters found?

BearSniper
09-10-2008, 10:53 AM
True,

The good old feet-walking method work well and its fun to get out for fresh air and excercise.

I don't mind it though if truck hunters are older fellas who are not as able bodied as they used to be. At least they are out in the bush.

jml11
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Our crews, inlcuding myself, were doing forestry work in 7-15 last fall in area we called the Mandalay loop. Every day dozens of hunters would drive this 40 kilometer (or so) loop. What was funny to us was that most often they all go the same way and don't realize that there is someone just in front of them the entire way. What makes me scratch my head even more was the fact that the enitre loop had only one greened up cutblock, the rest was all timber. I figured if you are going to road hunt, do it where there are lots of cutblocks, increase your viewing plane and chances of spotting an animal. With all the timber on this loop, the only way the hunters will see an animal is if it happens to cross the road in front of them. We spent the better part of two months out there and never heard a single shot. We saw only two gut piles on the road. We did however see many moose in the blocks we were laying out. When asked by the hunters if we see any animals and I always told them the truth, they are in the bush!

Wild one
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I get a kick out guys who just drive around all day and call it hunting. The best part is I have watched deer wait for trucks to drive by before they cross the road. I know when I run into a guy who always road hunts he tells me that there are hunters every where now a days. The truth is there are more guys driving up and down the roads all day and less trucks parked on the side.

todbartell
09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
its hard work walking. and if you ever shoot something, what the heck would you do? pack it out on your back? or make a trail for an atv? that is hard work! hunting is supposed to be fun, not hard work

where are my keys?

moosecaller
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Let them drive and entertain themselves, they are getting out of it and probably enjoying themselves as much as the next guy, they are doing it how they know how to do it, I find I go just off the beaten path and don't have to worry about being disturbed as most of the other hunters are driving around this suits me just fine. To each his own. A lot of times their movement keeps the game in the bush where I am lurking and not crossing the road. And if something happens where I may need a helping hand I know there is always a road hunter just around the bend.

happygilmore
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
its hard work walking. and if you ever shoot something, what the heck would you do? pack it out on your back? or make a trail for an atv? that is hard work! hunting is supposed to be fun, not hard work

where are my keys?

I've got a winch and a 1000ft of rope, that's my comfort zone 1000ft from a good road... :biggrin:

Spuddge
09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Why would anyone care if someone else road hunts? Why would it "make you laugh"?! I'll bet many members here have harvested game by road hunting. I say, to each their own. There are many different ways to hunt all of which are sometimes successful and sometimes not. Sometimes I road hunt , sometimes I walk, and sometimes I sit on my ass in a stand and wait. I'm with Todbartell, hunting should be enjoyable. Hunt however you want as long as it's legal!

elkdom
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM

where are my keys?

lmao!! same thoughts for me also, most deer counted in one hour of scouting while driving was, 133 mule deer, 81 whitetails, 24 of the mulies were 4 X 4 or better, and 15 of the whitey bucks were 4 points or better, although the areas I scouted were availble shooting areas, none were big enough,so not likely to walk and see that many deer, walking is fine for a stalk! but for scouting I know where my keys are! lol

Wild one
09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Yes I will shoot animals of the road and yes I will road hunt bear some times but I just don't look at it as the best form of hunting.To those who wish to road go for it

Alpine Addict
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Im all for road hunting! The more people on the road means the less people in the alpine!

AA

sawmill
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I was out this morning for an hour before I had to work.Walked into my best spot,cruised the road to my next and walked into it.Slow drove out cause it`s a damn good area and was only a half hour late.Sometimes you get lucky covering a lot of country in a short time.Sometimes you don`t have the luxury(sp) of a week or more off work on opening day.
I do get what you mean though cause on my way out I got tailgated and high beamed by three 50,000$ trucks desperate to pass my old shitty Ford so they could get to the "killing zone" first.And I was driving 70 +K on a washboard logging road.

Tell you what though..rather see them than a bunch of David Suzuki asshole`s any day.At least we care and spend a lot more time and money in and on the habitat.

Luck to us all .good hunting:-D

sawmill
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I meant to say (on my way in to my spot.Not my way out.Otherwise I could give a shit.)

ruttinbuck
09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
The world is full of guys that want the easy game.As long as they are buying licenses and tags the government will keep allowing hunting.
Don't ever forget...The current provincial government is only interested in making money{profit} for them selves and their corporate buds.When enough guys {roadtoads or not} quit buying licenses we ALL will be quiting hunting.RB

CT.45
09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I will clarify. What made me laugh was seeing the steady procession of trucks, not seeing anyone brake and jump out for something, all the while I am less than a click away, pushing deer out of the thickets for 2.5 hours steady. Too bad I did not have the opportunity to drag a buck out of the bush right in front of one........ maybe tonight. 1 hour and counting.

newhunterette
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I will have to say we have done both road hunting as well as alpine hunting and hiking into great slash areas and game trails. The road hunting is for the times when my body just will not allow me to function due to years of reconstructive surgeries on my legs and having a broken back which takes a lifetime to heal - I will push myself to enjoy my trip each year as it comes to me - for those of you who have never had to suffer an injury or broken bone or even age just catching up with you, way to go and continued success - I am very lucky to have friends and family who don't hold my disabilities against me and will enjoy hunting with me no matter what

also if it wasn't for the road hunter, we would have been in a whole heap of trouble on the hunt where we were stuck in gumbo muck up to the front axel of our truck 60Km from the main road

most of the roads we hunt off of can give us tell tale signs if others have been down the road recently and if we see that sign then we move on to another area

I would say that 90% of the time we are on foot and in the trees hunting but on occasion road hunting calls us

moosinaround
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Some times it is just nice to go for a drive! Still part of enjoying the outdoors. I take along the 300 win mag, you never know! When I am in hunter mode though, I use a combination of all forms of hunting. Only time I laugh is when I have good company and they tell a good joke! Other than that it is ALL business man!! Moosin

tuom
09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Can't wait to get out. Window down, heater on, tracking a BIG buck or maybe a moose. Sipping my coffee, nibbling on a sandwich my sweetie made for me and listening to my favorite songs on the mp3 player. Yeah hunting is awesome.

jeeper
09-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Im all for road hunting! The more people on the road means the less people in the alpine!

AA

I agree !

I love being out in the bush and smelling the air out there and not the stinky feet of the guy sitting in the passenger seat !

Bruce

winbuckhunter
09-10-2008, 11:09 PM
my oldman has fused vertrea in his neck and has had a heart attack. he road hunts and goes for those short walks just over the hill that you cant see from the road. and he gets 2 deer EVERY year. some road hunters must be more skilled then others

Gateholio
09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I will road hunt, still hunt, alpine hunt, whatever...depending on circumstance...

After 3 days pounding the brush, and a rainy day, sometimes it's nice to idle along in a truck, to recharge the batteries.:cool:

4570hunter
09-11-2008, 12:18 AM
My favorite experience with road hunters are the ones you know will never get out of the truck with full camo gear on. They make me laugh there's a spot I go to every few years that's a horseshoe loop road of about three miles and plenty of bush and road hunters drive in this loop for hours. I watch them cause they shoot anything that moves. Around noon I will get out of my stand and walk the road and they always drive up to me. Its always a chuckle for me when I tell up around the curve or beyond that little hill some deer just crossed the road and they drive away in full camo.
I watch them and eat lunch.

hunter1947
09-11-2008, 03:40 AM
I would say that the road hunter saw a few ,but as soon as the deer see you coming up to them I a truck or other ,they scat into the bush real quick.

There aren't many times you get a shot at an animal ones he has your truck pegged ,a few times but not many.

rocksteady
09-11-2008, 03:51 AM
I am not a road hunter, however I have taken my share of critters from the truck, driving into or out of an area....Never know when something is gonna cross the road or be real stupid and stand there in the middle of the road, waiting for me to get out and load up....

At the price of gas nowadays, I can't afford to road hunt...

Casagrande
09-11-2008, 07:22 AM
lmao!! same thoughts for me also, most deer counted in one hour of scouting while driving was, 133 mule deer, 81 whitetails, 24 of the mulies were 4 X 4 or better, and 15 of the whitey bucks were 4 points or better, although the areas I scouted were availble shooting areas, none were big enough,so not likely to walk and see that many deer, walking is fine for a stalk! but for scouting I know where my keys are! lol
How much are house prices up there?:smile:

blindbob
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
I know lots of road hunters that are quite successful .To each his own. I just like walking in the bush better.

elkdom
09-11-2008, 08:20 AM
How much are house prices up there?:smile:
prices of houses?? anywhere from $90,000 in DC for older liveable 2 bedroom, or a new 1800 square foot 4 bedroom in DC for $595,000 or if you are a simple "moron" who may like to live in the country a bit out of town, rural acreages with older home and out buildings will run you from $200,000 . and up! for me the 20 minute to drive into DC generally includes anywhere from 10 up to 50/60 deer a couple of moose and some mornings if im real early ,some elk!! Yeah! road huntin is a "BITCH"!, but I have to rest my bones sometime! lol , have a good day!!

308Lover
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Some northern cut blocks are the size of New Brunswick. We like to check out a few by truck. We also take it slow between scouting--for grouse and other game. Yes. We do get out of the truck. Yes we love hiking. Many people think the ultimate is a moose near the road--for easy packing. Scouting for scarce deer is my reason for driving. Serious hunting we do on foot.

elkdom
09-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Some northern cut blocks are the size of New Brunswick. We like to check out a few by truck. We also take it slow between scouting--for grouse and other game. Yes. We do get out of the truck. Yes we love hiking. Many people think the ultimate is a moose near the road--for easy packing. Scouting for scarce deer is my reason for driving. Serious hunting we do on foot.

Hughmongous cut blocks for sure!!! and during the peak of the moose rutt! stop once in a while and cut some firewood using your power saw! those Bull Moosies' just love that ! wahhhh wahhh wahhh of a chain saw! some days they just cant resist challenging a power saw!, lmao , during the rutt bull moose are dummer than a BRICK! lol

CT.45
09-11-2008, 09:38 AM
My after work walk last night was nice. A little warm this time of year, as we are having a nice 'Indian' summer right now. Heard some shots in the distance, and heard lots of traffic. I was out of the truck and on the trail by 5:45, and I put up 2 does around 6 pm. They ran off in the direction that I was headed, whislting their alarm. I knew I was cooked, so I made up some fast ground away from them. After a click, I sat and cooled down and let the bush settle. I waited for 15 minutes or so and started up a steep chute through some thick young pine. I climbed over 150m in elevation and made my way to a really nice bench with some decent views of open timber sidehills and made a waypoint. I found a heavy game trail and followed it for only 300 m or so into the timber and spotted a small bodied buck making his way down the trail towards me. At first I did not know if he was legal, so I quickly took a knee, cranked my 4200 up to 9 and confirmed that he was wearing only 2 per side. I watched as he made his way to within 40 yards of me, he then turned downhill and disappeared into an overgrown gulley. I waited silently and undetected to see if his bigger brother was in tow. No dice. The sun had set many, many minutes previously and it was quite dim in the timber. I fished my headlamp out of my pack and hiked out to the truck. Home for supper by 9. Man I love hunting season.

Allen50
09-13-2008, 02:02 AM
you may laugh at the truck hunter, but you should not laugh out load, or do it very softly, because the truck hunter may be laughing louder as he shoot's the deet near your truck on the road, Our Dad,(may he rest in pice) was a road hunter in his last few years of hunting, and he did hunt ever year till he could no longer get out on the first day of gun hunting, no mater what he was out there driving the roads, and he came home with some nice bucks, he knew the spots to look and where to go, He once fallowed a guy up a road, when the guy got out to walk he turned around and headed off to a nother spot, 100 feet from turning a round in the snow there was the buck standing on the road, i bet the guy passed the spot where the blood and guts were and woundered to himself hummmm right on the road,,, yes walking is good way to see deer etc, but some can't so driving works for them, we all hunt diffrent, i just read here about a solo hunt, thats cool too, to each there owne, it's good you seen some deer, while walking, just remember to laugh quitly not to scear any deer off for the road hunter,, ok, good luck to all hunter's this year walking, driving, etc, how ever you like to hunt,, all that matters is your out there enjoying what we do,,,so keep hunting .....

steel_ram
09-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I agree that getting out in the woods is important for "oldtimers" even if they need to stay in the truck. But what part of shooting deer from a vehicle is hunting?

The two old guys I hunt with at least get out of the truck, take a short walk to the end of a spur and sit until they get cold.

krazy
09-13-2008, 08:48 AM
still hunting: walking around the bush looking for critters.
road hunting: driving around the bush looking for critters.
hmmm...

Reminds me of the great fishing debate... ie. flyfishing vs. trolling.

In reality all methods have their place and can be very successful.

Interesting that some feel that they are superior and would laugh at others just because they choose one particular method over the other.

In4TheHunt
09-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I get a kick out guys who just drive around all day and call it hunting. The best part is I have watched deer wait for trucks to drive by before they cross the road. I know when I run into a guy who always road hunts he tells me that there are hunters every where now a days. The truth is there are more guys driving up and down the roads all day and less trucks parked on the side.

Wild one, I fully agree with you in that regard. I do a lot of hiking and cutline glassing and it turns out that even if the road is busy, only a few dare to bush wack and lay down solid miled to get the prize. It is not very often I see other hunters in region 2-3 althought I stay away form the "known" Atv trails.......I prefer secluded spots.

The Hermit
09-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Some days I like to road hunt. My dream road hunt would be to take my new to me quad up to visit Todd Bartell and go cruisin the roads, spot me a big ol moose, step off the quad and shoot it. With the quad I won't even need him to carry it out for me!

only half jokin! which half?

steel_ram
09-13-2008, 09:19 AM
still hunting: walking around the bush looking for critters.
road hunting: driving around the bush looking for critters.
hmmm...

Reminds me of the great fishing debate... ie. flyfishing vs. trolling.

In reality all methods have their place and can be very successful.

Interesting that some feel that they are superior and would laugh at others just because they choose one particular method over the other.

BS! No comparison.

Driving and shooting from a vehicle, which is unfortunately still too common in this province , is not hunting. It requires nothing but a truck, a tank of gas and a rifle.

If you think driving around and shooting wildlife is hunting, then you might as well pay a rancher to shoot his cattle, because what else are you getting out of it? You get off on killing stuff? I doubt there are very many folks out there today that can afford to road hunt, can argue they require "meat for the freezer" to feed their families, especially a ripe November muley.

I would think it nice if a family could take a drive in the woods in some area's without having to dodge the constant train of rubber necking pick-ups, putting down the FRS's. Personally I've found I have to hike farther and farther away to get away to find true wilderness silence.

krazy
09-13-2008, 09:52 AM
BS! No comparison.

Driving and shooting from a vehicle, which is unfortunately still too common in this province , is not hunting. It requires nothing but a truck, a tank of gas and a rifle.

If you think driving around and shooting wildlife is hunting, then you might as well pay a rancher to shoot his cattle, because what else are you getting out of it? You get off on killing stuff? I doubt there are very many folks out there today that can afford to road hunt, can argue they require "meat for the freezer" to feed their families, especially a ripe November muley.

I would think it nice if a family could take a drive in the woods in some area's without having to dodge the constant train of rubber necking pick-ups, putting down the FRS's. Personally I've found I have to hike farther and farther away to get away to find true wilderness silence.

lol ... well that didn't take long! :)

This is exatly the elitist mentality that I was talking about. Here's a fellow that, based simply on the fact that some choose to hunt a bit differently than himself, has reduced all of those choosing to road hunt as 'non hunters', 'requiring no more than a truck, a tank of gas and a rifle' and concluding that 'they would get nothing out of it other than the thrill of the kill'. Thank you Steel_Ram for providing us with this example.

elkdom
09-13-2008, 09:58 AM
BS! No comparison.

here is news flash!! I have a friend about 50 years old, he shoots his moose every year! most years a bull elk, most years a deer or two, some years a black bear, about 5 years ago I was honoured to accompany him on his LTD entry GRIZZ hunt! and he took a 7 foot boar! so here's the FLASH! he shoots all his game from the drivers side window of his pickup truck!!!! he is parapalegic, been that way for 20 years or so, so dont get too comfortable on YOUR high HORSE there "steel ram" , ONE little mishap and you could be very happy to be able to road hunt!

steel_ram
09-13-2008, 10:06 AM
lol ... well that didn't take long! :)

This is exatly the elitist mentality that I was talking about.

"Bawawawawa . . . elist menality. . . blah blah balh...... " What a cop-out argument!

Defend your road hunting on it's merits buddy.

I don't give a crap weather one shoots game from a mile away with a 338 Lapua or from 5 feet with hand crafted cedar arrow. Both require some special skill, that if not attained by the "hunter" will inhibit his chances of success. Fair chase? Personally, I've tried everthing I can and have settled somewhere in the middle.

But Please, cut it with "your an elitist" run to mommy crap. If you think killing game from the road is the kind of hunting you want to promote, then defend it for what is.

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 10:09 AM
here is news flash!! I have a friend about 50 years old, he shoots his moose every year! most years a bull elk, most years a deer or two, some years a black bear, about 5 years ago I was honoured to accompany him on his LTD entry GRIZZ hunt! and he took a 7 foot boar! so here's the FLASH! he shoots all his game from the drivers side window of his pickup truck!!!! he is parapalegic, been that way for 20 years or so, so dont get too comfortable on YOUR high HORSE there "steel ram" , ONE little mishap and you could be very happy to be able to road hunt!

elkdom - I would also feel very honoured to go on a hunting trip with your friend, he sounds amazing and for not letting what life has thrown at him to keep him down - your post was very inspirational and that is what this site is all about to open up the minds of those who seem closed off and living life thinking the world revolves for them - one should take notice of those with disabilities and just once put themselves in "their shoes" so to speak so such "prejudiced and judgmental biases" can be put to rest.

I take my "hat off" to your friend and say WAY TO GO and CONGRATS ON THE HUNTING HARVEST.

elkdom
09-13-2008, 10:19 AM
elkdom - I would also feel very honoured to go on a hunting trip with your friend, he sounds amazing and for not letting what life has thrown at him to keep him down - your post was very inspirational and that is what this site is all about to open up the minds of those who seem closed off and living life thinking the world revolves for them - one should take notice of those with disabilities and just once put themselves in "their shoes" so to speak so such "prejudiced and judgmental biases" can be put to rest.

I take my "hat off" to your friend and say WAY TO GO and CONGRATS ON THE HUNTING HARVEST.

AHMEN, we all should do our best, as long as it doesn't harm others, then get at it!!

killman
09-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I would have to say the type of hunting you do would depend on the where you live. Some places around P.G the bush is so thick it is pretty much impossible to due any thing but drive block to block looking. If you are in nice open fir or area's with open Aspen and can see more than 10 feet in front of you, Than you can walk. I long for the day's that I actually do get to hunt in open country.

krazy
09-13-2008, 10:39 AM
"Bawawawawa . . . elist menality. . . blah blah balh...... " What a cop-out argument!

Defend your road hunting on it's merits buddy.

I don't give a crap weather one shoots game from a mile away with a 338 Lapua or from 5 feet with hand crafted cedar arrow. Both require some special skill, that if not attained by the "hunter" will inhibit his chances of success. Fair chase? Personally, I've tried everthing I can and have settled somewhere in the middle.

But Please, cut it with "your an elitist" run to mommy crap. If you think killing game from the road is the kind of hunting you want to promote, then defend it for what is.

Your original post gave nothing factual to "defend" against - it was all based on your opinion:

"Driving and shooting from a vehicle, which is unfortunately still too common in this province , is not hunting. It requires nothing but a truck, a tank of gas and a rifle." - no facts here!

"If you think driving around and shooting wildlife is hunting, then you might as well pay a rancher to shoot his cattle, because what else are you getting out of it? You get off on killing stuff?" - or here

If you want me to debate facts then you should provide me with some.

and finally,

"If you think killing game from the road is the kind of hunting you want to promote, then defend it for what is."

To be clear, I would like to promote that people respect any legal methods that sportsman use to hunt or fish and that those that do not agree with those methods simply because it is not what they would choose to do get off their high horses and stop acting like they are somehow more superior, ethical, elite or (insert any other synonym here) than their fellow sportsman.

PS. Elkdom, congrats to your buddy on given er every year!

steel_ram
09-13-2008, 02:34 PM
"Driving and shooting from a vehicle, which is unfortunately still too common in this province , is not hunting. It requires nothing but a truck, a tank of gas and a rifle." - no facts here!

Fact's eh? Please help me out here.

Please explain what "hunting" skill is involved with shooting from a vehicle?
The 2nd gear stalk? The rolling bail out? Silent window cranking? Holding shells/mag while driving? Loading and unloading? The stealthy reverse? Surely there's more?

Apparently I'm ignorant about road 'hunting', (they nevered mentioned this one in c.o.r.e.) I have missed the true "facts" that make it a unique and acceptable method of fare chase.

A doubt there are very few people that aren't going to take advantage of a "freeby" opportunity on their way to and from their hunting spot, myself included, but there are those, in seemingly increasing numbers that drive back and forth all day and those are the "Truck hunters make me laugh" which the thread is about.

horshur
09-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Two ways to get a better view of things...climb higher or knock everything down around you.

krazy
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM

The 2nd gear stalk? The rolling bail out? Silent window cranking? Holding shells/mag while driving? Loading and unloading? The stealthy reverse? Surely there's more?

Apparently I'm ignorant about road 'hunting', (they nevered mentioned this one in c.o.r.e.) I have missed the true "facts" that make it a unique and acceptable method of fare chase.

A doubt there are very few people that aren't going to take advantage of a "freeby" opportunity on their way to and from their hunting spot, myself included, but there are those, in seemingly increasing numbers that drive back and forth all day and those are the "Truck hunters make me laugh" which the thread is about.

"Please explain what "hunting" skill is involved with shooting from a vehicle?"

... to be clear nobody is talking about shooting from a vehicle.

"Fact's eh? Please help me out here."

ok ... my point is/was that just because YOU say that road hunting "is not hunting" and that "It requires nothing but a truck, a tank of gas and a rifle" does not make it a fact.The fact is that it is hunting to many regardless of your view on it and their decision to do so should be respected not belittled (laughed at). As for skill, your truck/atv/feet just get you there, everything else before & after that is the same. Unfortunatley I don't think you will get this point no matter how many times or ways I say it and I'm not planning on investing anymore time on it - got to go tune up the truck for tomorrow's hunt :)

Kody94
09-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't road hunt a lot, but it is a great way to get to know the "lay of the land" in an area you are unfamiliar with, and a good way to "rest up/re-charge" after some hard foot-hunting as others have mentioned.

I am sure glad its an option, or I wouldn't be hunting much if at all this year. Still can't wear a boot on my burned foot/ankle.

To my way of thinking, its just a way to be out there...which is orders of magnitude better than not participating....whether you are injured, able or otherwise.

Cheers,
4ster

okanagan hiker
09-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by elkdom http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=328041#post328041)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, Krazy, that is exactly what ( elkdom ) is talking about! newhunterette, are you really ok with this?

OKH

krazy
09-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by elkdom http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=328041#post328041)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, Krazy, that is exactly what ( elkdom ) is talking about! newhunterette, are you really ok with this?

OKH

my guess is he has an exemption due to his condition .....

huntwriter
09-13-2008, 04:45 PM

OKH

I am not 100% sure about this but I have read somewhere that disabled hunters can apply for a special permit to hunt from the truck.

And why not, if our government can let natives hunt at night from the back of a truck with lights then surly we can make a special case for a disabled person shooting from the truck cabin that otherwise could not hunt period.

Personally I don’t mind road hunters. What I don’t like is yahoos racing up and down logging roads waving rifles out the windows and throw empty beer cans on the roadside.

This happened this morning on my way home from the morning hunt. The idiots run me almost of the road and as they drove by one waved a rifle at me hollering something that I cannot repeat here. I got their license plate and phoned the cops from the cell phone.

As it has been said a few times here. It really doesn’t matter how people hunt, as long it is legal. We have more important issues to worry about than who is more of a hunter.

chola
09-13-2008, 04:47 PM

Key words right there....and I believe there is an exemption

Ron.C
09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Serious documented medical conditions aside, I don't think anyone should be shooting from inside a vehicle. Aside from that, some people may just be interested in putting some meat on the table, and if that is your only goal and are not intersted in getting out in the bush and experiencing the outdoors and just want to road hunt,then so be it. Why should I care if that is how they choose to hunt.

Tikka7mm
09-13-2008, 05:06 PM
BS! No comparison.

Wow! Why don't you tell us how you really feel....pretty strong opinion from one HBC'r to another? Save the animosity for the anti's...life's too short steel_ram. There's always going to be road hunters and there's always going to be guys like you that disagree with road hunting. It doesn’t make it right or wrong… the law is the law and last time I checked road hunting was still legal.

Not everyone has the same perspective on what constitutes “getting out into the bush” and not everyone takes the same approach to harvest game…to each there own/ live and let live... blah... blah... blah! I can’t say that I don’t agree with you to a certain degree but road hunting has its place for many members of the hunting community so passing judgment is really unnecessary.

Having said this, not everyone that road hunts “get’s off on killing stuff” as you suggest…this is comment might as well have had a bright shiny lure attached to it…lol.

I road hunt sometimes and sometimes I get out and walk the timber…whatever works. It’s not always so much about getting meat for the freezer as it is about spending some time with a good buddy.

IMO If a “hunter” is willing to spend time, money and effort to take an animal within the confines of the law, whether it is from a road or from within the depths of the Alpine, then this is their right. To come down on another hunter because they don’t hunt the same way as you isn’t conducive to what this web-site is all about…we’re all hunters!… again save the animosity for the antis.

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
OKH

I am not okay with a violation of the hunting regulations and the code of ethics we as hunters follow. It is stated in the regulations page 22

You should also know it’s unlawful:
1. to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor.
2. to hunt migratory birds from a power boat.
3. to use a power boat, aircraft, or motor vehicle or other mechanical device to
herd or harass wildlife.
4. to hunt, take, wound or kill big game while it is swimming unless it has been previously wounded.
5. to discharge, carry or have in possession a firearm containing live ammunition in
its breech or in its magazine attached to the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor
vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other conveyance.

there are a total of 18 but these were the ones I believe to be in question.

I have left a voice mail with a friend who is a CO to find out regulations for Challenged Persons

However I am also against the violation of a person rights. Canada stands for "inclusion" not exclusion and there fore the Human Rights Commission has been set up to protect the rights of "ALL" Canadians. A person who is physically challenged, mentally challenged whether partial or completely has the right to take part in any activity they are interested in and have taken the proper training and paid the same or equivilent of fees as any (and I use this term lightly) "able" bodied person. A discrimination case would take more presidence over a case of shooting a firearm from a truck because he/she is disabled.

and you will always find "boneheads" and "yahoos" who try and do things outside of the box and drink, drive and create havic on our forestry service roads but really do you consider them in the same breed as "Hunters" no I think not as they are law breakers and should be reported.

My opinion of road hunting is driving the forestry roads and looking at surrounding areas, stopping and glassing the slashes and terrain and then if you are lucky enough to spot an animal in the vicinity to park your truck and head into the area. No where did I state I have a loaded rifle in my vehicle, or that I shoot from my truck, I just stated that at times for me walking is difficult, climbing is difficult so I choose to use my vehicle when I can to find areas of ease for me.

Now you can not tell me that you have never been driving down a forestry service road and spotted a grouse at the side of the road and stopped your vehicle and as quietly as can be open your door and slide your .22 out with you and gently walk towards the grouse as you load your .22 and take aim and fire then retrieve you grouse and head on back to your truck to drive onward and perhaps spot another grouse - you my friend have just become a "road hunter"

but then these are just my opinions.

elkdom
09-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Key words right there....and I believe there is an exemption

Special PERMITS are availible to the disabled, at the discretion of the Director of the MOE, to shoot from a MOTOR vehicle! engine off, and shooting conditions same as anyone, no exemption for the disabled to shoot in a closed area, numbered roads, highways and anywhere shooting or hunting is prohibited! all the same rules as us other GOOMBAH's, just with special permit shooting from a MV turned off and parked is OK! and the permit holder must have someone to help recover game harvested!

steel_ram
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
It get's frustrating, after spending years, actively defending hunting either through letters, or actually standing up in some non hunter friendly groups, feeling like a sheep among wolves to try to convince others, whom are standing on the fence that the image of hunters often protrayed by the anti's is false. I've always tried to portray hunting as more than just the kill.

But, unfortunately the most visible hunters out there, are the lazy slobs, driving around with rifles propped up in the passenger seat with the self righteous "I can, because it's legal or no one can do anything about it attitude." Everything the anti's need to support their version.

So why do you kill animals? Do you get off on killing beautiful animals? Why do you need to kill stuff to enjoy the comaradre of friends? . . . Some simple yet tough questions that the anti's will often pose in mixed company, to which I bet not to many hunters can give a real thoughful, convincing answer too.

I will defend hunting always, and am not afraid to voice my perhaps unpopular opinion on how hunters screw themselves. Because we do!

And then in reality, when these people encounter hunters, it's

okanagan hiker
09-13-2008, 07:31 PM
newhunterette...

I was not trying to pick on you... I was just surprised you might be ok with shooting from a vehicle!

I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

I totally agree... there should be humanitarian exceptions to the rules.

"No where did I state I have a loaded rifle in my vehicle, or that I shoot from my truck, I just stated that at times for me walking is difficult, climbing is difficult so I choose to use my vehicle when I can to find areas of ease for me." I didn't mean to suggest you did... if it seemed I was, I apologize. :oops:

I am not at all against road hunters. I have no issue with it at all... and your grouse example is very real world and a very common event.

Pretty much all of us "road hunt", to some degree. To those who say they don't... if you saw a nice buck on or near the logging road as you drove down it to your spot... would you get out, load, and take it... or get out, chase it into the woods, wait a while, and then go after it? ( some might! )

OKH

M.Dean
09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
OK, you have your 399.99 boots on, your driving to your secret hiking spot where you spend the entire day hiking your ass off, a hog buck cross's the road in front of you, now do you and your boots jump out of the truck and cap it's ass, or do you continue down the road to your hiking area??? If you shoot it , that makes you a road hunter does it not??? Hunters in trucks, or on quad, bikes, pogo sticks or piggy backing, who really gives a shit how some one else hunts! Lifes to short to worry about it, go hiking and enjoy your self, if you can hear traffic, wear ear plugs or turn your walkman up!!! Oh yea, i have a friend that hunted all his life, loved it, hiked, drove around what ever it took, he got M.S. and yes while he was able to drive he did get a permit to shoot from his truck, did it bother me, not at all!!! Good for him, he continued doing some thing he loved!!!

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 08:23 PM
It get's frustrating, after spending years, actively defending hunting either through letters, or actually standing up in some non hunter friendly groups, feeling like a sheep among wolves to try to convince others, whom are standing on the fence that the image of hunters often protrayed by the anti's is false. I've always tried to portray hunting as more than just the kill.
I commend you for being such a high ended advocate for hunters and trying to educated those against it, however you are grouping a road hunter into a different category - those you keep portraying as the road hunter if they are driving with their rifle loaded and ready then they are in violation of the regulations and therefore are not hunters but in (my opinion) a poacher, you are not giving any thought to those people who may have special circumstances as to why they hunt from their truck and that is being very prejudice (again my opinion)
But, unfortunately the most visible hunters out there, are the lazy slobs, driving around with rifles propped up in the passenger seat with the self righteous "I can, because it's legal or no one can do anything about it attitude." Everything the anti's need to support their version.
I take offense to being called a lazy slob and I am certain many more on here will be offended by this "term" and it takes a lot to offend me.
So why do you kill animals? Do you get off on killing beautiful animals? Why do you need to kill stuff to enjoy the comaradre of friends? . . . Some simple yet tough questions that the anti's will often pose in mixed company, to which I bet not to many hunters can give a real thoughful, convincing answer too.
I have stated my reason on many occasions why my family hunts - would you really like me to repeat the reasons for your benefit as I have encountered many anti-hunting people and have given them the same reason I would post to you and have had respect given back to me after they hear my reason.
I will defend hunting always, and am not afraid to voice my perhaps unpopular opinion on how hunters screw themselves. Because we do!
no one said you are not allowed you opinion or views as it is a freedom of speech country we live in but you also have to be open minded to others point of views as well.

newhunterette...

I was not trying to pick on you... I was just surprised you might be ok with shooting from a vehicle!

OKH

I never thought you were picking on me - just felt I needed to state my opinion to make myself more understandable as at times I do type with my emotions showing - no worries at all

elkdom
09-13-2008, 08:24 PM
OK, you have your 399.99 boots on, your driving to your secret hiking spot where you spend the entire day hiking your ass off, a hog buck cross's the road in front of you, now do you and your boots jump out of the truck and cap it's ass, or do you continue down the road to your hiking area??? If you shoot it , that makes you a road hunter does it not??? Hunters in trucks, or on quad, bikes, pogo sticks or piggy backing, who really gives a shit how some one else hunts! Lifes to short to worry about it, go hiking and enjoy your self, if you can hear traffic, wear ear plugs or turn your walkman up!!! Oh yea, i have a friend that hunted all his life, loved it, hiked, drove around what ever it took, he got M.S. and yes while he was able to drive he did get a permit to shoot from his truck, did it bother me, not at all!!! Good for him, he continued doing some thing he loved!!!

Salute! another tolerant person! you have the floor M.Dean,,,

newhunterette
09-13-2008, 08:33 PM

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/beerchug.gif http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

huntwriter
09-13-2008, 09:22 PM

I commend you on your efforts to promote hunting. It’s what I been doing for many years too. In these years I have learned that no matter what we say we will NEVER convert an animal rights. Animal rights (anti hunters) don’t care one way or another they just want to force us to stop hunting period.

burger
09-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Sorry but this statement screams hypocritical. You are sitting here chastizing people for road hunting BUT you would be willing to take an animal while drivind to your hike in spot cuz its a"freeby". You are either a road/truck hunter or not.Maybe most people that truck hunt want the freebie and that is why they do it.

Guess what this week on the way to and from our hunt area we kept seeing bucks crossing the road. So I just got out of the truck and waited for them to come back. Harvested a nice two point. I love being a road hunter.

Gateholio
09-14-2008, 12:38 AM

And then in reality, when these people encounter hunters, it's

Dude, you are eating your own...Falling into the Antis trap..

They LOVE it when we divide ourselves..Whether it s handgunners vs hunting rifles or road hunters vs still hunters, THEY LOVE IT!!

The majority of BC hunters *and* road hunters are after MEAT. Meat, and some fun time in the bush. Yes, it's cheaper to go to the groceery store for meat, but do they have FREE RANGE, ORGANIC meat? Maybe but it is $$$$$...

I 've tried to tell non hunters that it's not about the kill-I've been on MANY hunting trips that didn't have a kill....They still don't get it.

Tell them that you eat meat (like 99% of the people out here) and that you refuse to eat all the medicated, factory raised meat oput there, and all of a sudeen they get smart..

Quit trying to "explain" the hunt and tel them something they can understand. "I want free range, organic meat, and I go to great lengths to get it. Wild meat is the most healthy meat we can get. It's healthy and sustainable. What is wrong with that?"

The truck hunters are after meat. The most basic reason to hunt.

I've tried many, many times to explain to non hunters about hunting, how it's not abotu the kill, how I pass up many animals, how I spend way more time and money that just buying a pork chop, how hunters are true conservationists, etc...

They don't get it.

The DO understand "I hunt to kill some organic meat"

And almost NONE of them have a defense against that. Even the most rabid of them like the term "organic."

Quit doing the anti's work for them...

longleader
09-14-2008, 07:49 AM
I have missed the true "facts" that make it a unique and acceptable method of fare chase.

At first I thought there was a spelling mistake here - and then it dawned on me that - yes, when we're hunting we are chasing fare, just some methods are sometimes considered more fair than others...:smile:

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I have a five year old daughter ,and she loves to come out and do a little road hunting with me,we see who can spot the grouse first ,she usually points to a rock or a stick.We really enjoy the scenery and have a great time.Isnt this what hunting should be all about enjoying your friends and family,the scenery,and maybe harvesting some great meat.We also walk but she gets tired fast so she doesnt get the same enjoyment out of it as I do.I use many diffrent techniques when I hunt,sometimes road hunting and spot and stalk are the most productive ,especially when you have hard crunchy snow or when you are looking for a blackbear in the early spring.I am really past the point of what other people think,I follow all the laws and try to be a good role model for my children ,I would much prefer road hunting with my kids then wasting my time playing video games or sitting in a pub on a sunny day.

NEEHAMA
09-14-2008, 10:30 AM
NO PLEASE KEEP ROMPTING AROUND IN THE BUSH !!! this keeps flushing out game that may have simply stayed in there. my road hunting buddies and i thank all you commando types hunters...lol.. keep the game moving!

i think we have a great partnership going on here! i know all you non road hunting types are noble. one day i hope i can park the truck. i guess i'm just not there yet.

you guys really earn your animals...wow

blacklab
09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Someday you brush beaters are going to get old, or maybe suffer an injury that limits you're mobility. You can sit at home on the couch or hang around the mall, while the rest of us that aren't too proud are out hunting.Even if we are road hunting.

BigBanger
09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I like a good road hunt , I hate being away from the tunes in my truck and the awesome heat my truck puts on my feet . Nuthing like crawling in first gear real slow and havin acdc cranked . I think the deer like it to , dont they .

Tikka7mm
09-15-2008, 12:06 PM
[quote=steel_ram;328208]It get's frustrating, after spending years, actively defending hunting either through letters, or actually standing up in some non hunter friendly groups, feeling like a sheep among wolves to try to convince others, whom are standing on the fence that the image of hunters often protrayed by the anti's is false. I've always tried to portray hunting as more than just the kill.

Steel_ram, I'm sure that anyone who's been on this site long enough can appreciate your dedication to hunting and can identify with you on why you desire to clean up the image of hunting; this goes without saying.:smile:

We also all know that there are a lot of people out there who perceive hunting in a negative light. I’m confident that there aren’t too many hunters out there who haven’t been in a fiery debate or a heated conversation with some uneducated anti, including me, and not wanted to knock some sense into them...lol.:razz:

I, like you, am happy to voice my opinion on the virtues of hunting if and when I feel that the opportunity presents it’s self and agree with you 110% Steel_ram that hunting is more than just the kill.

You're right that the most visible hunters out there are the ones driving around with rifles propped up in their passenger seats but this doesn't make them all "lazy slobs". This is however, one of the many images that some antis will try to portray when they aim to offend or attack a hunter or the hunting community as a whole because either they don’t understand hunting or they’re too ignorant to acknowledge its very importance.:roll:

Having said this, your assessment of road hunters could be damaging to the sport, all be it unintentionally and it isn’t something that helps hunters but instead impairs “our” capacity to present a unified argument against brainless questions like the ones that you mentioned…. “Do you get off on killing beautiful animals?” or “Why do you need to kill stuff to enjoy the camaraderie of friends?”

These are stupid questions and many of us have heard them asked of us I’m sure but before we pass judgment on each others methods of hunting we should think of how we must appear to those individuals out there who are critical of hunting to begin with. If we as hunters can’t even agree on what constitutes ethical hunting and instead choose to insult one another’s chosen methods on how to harvest game how can we influence the opinions of all those who are against it to begin with?

There are always going to be hunters who road hunt…:wink:

krazy
09-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Paragraph 1 = Road hunters are self righteous lazy slobs.

WOW! I can't believe a fellow hunter would/could make such an unjustified statement.

Paragraph 2 = If you road hunt you can't possibly get the same thing out of the hunt as those hoofing it so you must be some kind of weirdo that gets off on killing beautiful animals.

I think it's a real stretch to suggest that if your chosen hunting transporation method is a truck (as opposed to your feet or a quad or a bike or whatever) that you somehow get less satisfaction for the hunt than the guy who soley walks. AND I've yet to have a conversation with an anti that actually cares whether you killed an animal spotted from your truck as opposed to your feet. For the most part they are against the killing of the animal period. I'm with gatehouse that - I spend a lot of time and money hunting to ensure healthy, quality "organic" meat for me and my family - is the best answer to the "why do you hunt" question. For me, and I bet many of us, this actually is a big part of the "why" anyway.