PDA

View Full Version : 2ND Bear hits the dust (warning graphic pics..)

Derp
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Alright so here it is, my second game animal is another bear! I wish there was a real story behind this one, but thing is there isn't that much.

Me and my girlfriend were hunting in and around 3:32 the last two weekends since she has a cabin on gun lake there. I convinced her she didn't want to be alone the whole time so she joined me.

On september 2nd the second day of the season we were driving down an old deactivated forestry road. As we were driving I didn't really notice the sow that was feeding on berry bushes on the side of the road until I got about 30yds away. She noticed me first and instead of bolting off into the bushes like most do, she comes out onto the road almost like she was protecting her food. Maybe she wasn't scared because I had my truck turned off as I was preparing her medicine and she was slowly comming our way. I was abit nervous shooting her at this distance as I've never been so close to a bear before.

So I got out of the truck pointed the browning bps 12 ga and one slug to the head everything was over. I chose the 12 ga because I thought it was a close shot at about 15 - 20 yds..

(Oh yeah..I found out it was a her after she went down, there's no way knowing unless she had cubs, which she didnt!)

Here is a pic of the bear (sorry its kinda messy..but you've been warned):

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v337/202/34/513685965/n513685965_1176843_796.jpg

The bear was bigger than my previous one and was pushing close to 6' aaand a pretty colour to boot. Maan alot of fat on these fall bears, where do they get all that from eating berries???!

I kept the head and paws on the hide and did my best to ensure a killer rug which will be done in about 2-4 months at a local taxi man.

The second weekend we were up there (this past weekend) I tried to find me a 4x4 mulie up in them mountains around carpenter lake like jelly was informing us. Unfortunatley the weekend ended up with my truck breaking down on top of the mountain and me and my girlfriend having to coast neutral down it and walking our fair share about 15kms back to the main road. I made a BCAA acount that night and next morning my truck was in Lilooet (nearest mechanic). Better luck next time I guess!:-D

stixnstones
09-09-2008, 11:01 PM
try using a bow alot less blood. nice work though..congrats

rishu_pepper
09-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Geez you messed her up real bad!! Oh well, you get a good rug out of it anyway :biggrin:

BigBanger
09-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Nice bear Derp , must be awesome having a girl friend that doesent mind you jumping out of the truck and shootin a bear in the head with your 12g . Looks like a nice big girl for an awesome rug and some peperoni . Good on ya .

hunter1947
09-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Good one on the bear derp ,you got things done ,now its time for the rug and pepperonis ,congrats on getting a fine bear.

09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Nice bear Derp , must be awesome having a girl friend that doesent mind you jumping out of the truck and shootin a bear in the head with your 12g . .

hahahaha
that line has a nice ring to it

Dad and son
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Good job Alex that must have been exciting having a bear that close. I hope you get a deer soon.

ElectricDyck
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Looks like a nice bear! Congrats! Your taxidermist must love you with the 12 gauge to the head:biggrin:

LeverActionJunkie
09-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Right on Derp nice bear you are off to a great start.

Shooter Jr.
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Nice bear there good eating that one. Good luck on that 4 point mulie
congrats though

Derp
09-12-2008, 11:12 AM
thx everyone, I plan on heading back in a week or two once my truck has been fixed. Hopefully I'll have a deer report after :)

Mr. Dean
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Derp, the bear killer!
Congrat's, man!!

You should be seeing lot's of grouse up there.... Might be time to mix it up a little. :razz: :tongue:

BiG Boar
09-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Holy crap Alex! That picture is the most amazing picture I have seen on HBC in a while. Why did you choose the head shot? Needless to say good job on a bigger bear! That first bear we took was an awsome hunt I will never forget! Lets meet up for a lucky sometime!