PDA

View Full Version : Can you pattern Mule Deer?

mooseless
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a trail cam set out at this "spot". When I first took the trail cam out I jumped a good buck, this was at about 8pm. a week later when I checked the trail cam he came back with his brother that night at 9:30pm. I have other photos of him and his brother at 10am & 3am. I have been sitting out there for three evenings and have not seen them, last night I went to a different spot, and tonight after work went back, well tracks all over the place but no sightings from 6pm till dark.

I just don't know when they will be there, I have never specifically targeted one animal like this, do I have to sit there every day to see him?? Wait......Don't answer that!!!

Wild Images
09-10-2008, 02:34 AM
You can pattern them right up to opening day, then all bets are off!!

hunter1947
09-10-2008, 06:35 AM

Very well spoken words ,they seam to disappear when the rifle season opens ,thy must know something we don,t know???.

mooseless
09-10-2008, 07:33 AM
You guys are probly correct, they can hear the hunters sighting in there rifles, sense more activity in the woods as we sneak around scouting, and then we come back sneaking in with our bows.

Alpine Addict
09-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I bet Jelvis gave them a synopsis!

horshur
09-10-2008, 08:07 AM
by september 10th they are usually hard horned and thus less inclined to be in the open. Also ,rarely is the weather this time of year stable and weather is a pattern breaker as well. the declining daytime hours allows them much more time to stock up at night as well rather than the day... And along with all that a feed change is in order with the cool nights and usual frosts.......it is not just the hunters for if that were true they would be still paternable just a few kms from any road....

CT.45
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I bet Jelvis gave them a synopsis!

hahahahahahahahaha

mooseless
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
The trail camera was down for a few days but is now working so I will head out again and see what time of day they are passing through "my" area.
Hard horned is right, I found a new rub so I will bet they won't have much if any velvet on now.

trencher
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM

Man you've got that right:frown:

Mr. Dean
09-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I have a trail cam set out at this "spot". When I first took the trail cam out I jumped a good buck, this was at about 8pm. a week later when I checked the trail cam he came back with his brother that night at 9:30pm. I have other photos of him and his brother at 10am & 3am. I have been sitting out there for three evenings and have not seen them, last night I went to a different spot, and tonight after work went back, well tracks all over the place but no sightings from 6pm till dark.

I just don't know when they will be there, I have never specifically targeted one animal like this, do I have to sit there every day to see him?? Wait......Don't answer that!!!

To a point I believe....

Scouting the last week of July, I re-located 2 Bucks in the EXACT same area's, Sept 10th and 11th (one came home).

I've hunted this area for a few years and have noticed that they tend to *like* these bedding area's. Unless forced out, I've found the same bucks in there through mid/late Oct. Getting in on them has been the challenge.

endtimerwithabow
09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
try sittin there in the am hours rather than the pm hours!

srupp
09-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I believe you CAN pattern mulies IF they are vsiting agricultural food plots ie alphalpha fields..

steven

mooseless
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
try sittin there in the am hours rather than the pm hours!

Good Idea, I will try that too as I have a photo of one of the bucks at 10:oo is am.