editor@bcoutdoorsmagazine.com

Phreddy
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Hey guys
I am looking for a few new writers as well as a regular columnist
looking for stories and related ideas
yes we do pay
editor@bcoutdoorsmagazine.com

Bring back the old mixed (hunting and fishing) format and you might get some bites.

swampdonkey
09-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I 2nd That

f350ps
09-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I 3rd that, don't even buy it anymore. K

Avalanche123
09-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Well hey he is looking for new blood so that is encouraging.

moosinaround
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
What kind of credentials do you need?

c.r.hunter
09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Is this in regards to complaints over the last "flyer" you guys put out? I'm sure glad you're looking for more input as we live in one of the(if not THE) best hunting places on earth and we should have a magazine that reflects that. Unfortunatly I'm not a writer, hopefully you get some interest.

Gateholio
09-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Just a shot in the dark here, but perhaps they are soliciting a BC hunting forum for articles, because they wish to expand thier hunting content?

Just a crazy thought that popped into my mind...I'm probably wrong.:p

BCRiverBoater
09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Just a shot in the dark here, but perhaps they are soliciting a BC hunting forum for articles, because they wish to expand thier hunting content?

Well said. You might be onto something.:razz:

killman
09-09-2008, 08:03 PM

I hope your right. I also canceled my subscription due to lack of hunting content.

Little Hawk
09-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Howdy,

There is a certain irony in the fact that BC Outdoors is actively soliciting material for the hunting mag yet, on the other hand, when I queried them a few months back about publication of an editorial opposing the fish-farming business, I was told that it might make it into one of next years issues. By then, all the wild-salmon might be gone.

In my experience, most hunters are also sport-fishermen and I too agree that the old-format they used was the best.

I believe politics and whining non-hunter fishermen, wanting to disassociate themselves from the hunting community, brought about the change.

Just my two-cents.

Cheers,
Terry

Wild one
09-10-2008, 08:30 AM
I hope you will be adding some meat to your mag as the last one I picked up got put back on the shelve and traded for one with more pages.

Phreddy
09-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Exactly what I was suggesting, only worded better. I was going to let my subscription run out because the current format just didn't do it for me anymore, and I felt that the one magazine that should have been supportingus had caved in to the anti hunting group and abandoned us.
It might be worth putting in some stories to see what comes of it. If nothing happens then it's just a matter of not doing it anymore. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jokerwld
09-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey Guys

I am looking for new and fresh writers to ad some extra content to the issues for 09
I understand that you are frustrated with the current format I have been along time supporter of the magazine in fact have been reading for as long as I can remember. we are in the process of polling our readers on which format they would like, so be sure to fill out the survey's and voice your opinion
as far as the getting story ideas from new writers
I need you to send me a 30 to 50 word piece on your ideas and we will be reviewing this by the end of next week

along with stories I am looking for someone who can write our gun talk column
Mike
email your queries to editor@bcoutdoorsmagazine.com

Gateholio
09-10-2008, 11:49 PM
If you are looking for a new "Gun Talk" columnist, I'd heartily recommend our member here Tod Bartell..

He is a relatively young man (about 27 or 28) who has been handloading for about 15 years. He works in a gun store, has intimate knowledge of most new and old rifles, and has been a great boon to many, many people here, who have questions regarding firearms and handloading.

He is open to both new and old technology, is almost an A.D.D. case when it comes to testing different guns and loads, and is happy to research and compare different loads/rifles.

He has knowledge on these topics well beyond his years, makes posts that are often better than many paid writers, and because of his age/open mind is ready to learn virtually anything about firearms.

Quite frankly, he would be a far better asset than 99% of the "gun talk" style column writers of most magazines these days, including most of Petersens publications. Given a chance, Tod Bartell could easily become a new John Barsnes in the next 10 years...

winbuckhunter
09-10-2008, 11:53 PM
very well said gatehouse!

sawmill
09-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Well spelled too.You have been practicing,maybe you should write for them:biggrin:

Jelvis
09-11-2008, 07:36 AM
I say Tod Bartell also he came to thought right away.
He could help others in rifle and ammo stuff.
B.C. Outdoors is a great mag and is well rerspected amoung the hunters in Kamloops.
And Tod is known as a real gun savvy hunter on hbc.
Tod would be my choice for B.C. Outdoors
Jelly-Bean

Bow Walker
09-11-2008, 08:16 AM
I 5th the votes for T.B. You'd have to look far and wide for a better candidate. Plus, he's a BC'er. What more could you ask?

You might want to consider Jelvis as a writer/contributor. He's been around the block a time or two, and knows whereof he speaks (generally).

srosscoj
09-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Hey Guys

I am looking for new and fresh writers to ad some extra content to the issues for 09
I understand that you are frustrated with the current format I have been along time supporter of the magazine in fact have been reading for as long as I can remember. we are in the process of polling our readers on which format they would like, so be sure to fill out the survey's and voice your opinion
as far as the getting story ideas from new writers
I need you to send me a 30 to 50 word piece on your ideas and we will be reviewing this by the end of next week

along with stories I am looking for someone who can write our gun talk column
Mike
email your queries to editor@bcoutdoorsmagazine.com
So,... You are going to poll your readers eh! That will definately work. Wouldnt make more sense for you to poll the ex-subscribers some how to find out why they dont read the rag any more? How about trying to find out what the target market wants. Just a Thaught.

Phreddy
09-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I'll support the "T.B. for writer" movement. From what I've read here over the last year or so, he's a pretty well spoken and knowledgeable man.
Contacting pst subscribers also sounds like a good idea.

Th0r
09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
From what I have read I would believe that Bartell would be a perfect fit for the "gun talk" column.

Gateholio
09-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Well spelled too.You have been practicing,maybe you should write for them:biggrin:

I can *spell* just fine. What I cannot do very well is TYPE! :biggrin: Fortunatley, my computron at home fixes the errors for me these days...8-)

browningboy
09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I think Bartel would be a fine fit, but for the poll, I think they should also have one on their website and let us know about it.

I think they should have a highlight on a territory (Murphy Skewchuck) with what animals etc., tips and tricks, and yes more writers would be good, whats it take?

todbartell
09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
first topic

guns & loads for ATV hunters

overview - a) selecting the right overall length so you dont hang up in the brush when mounted in a kolpin grip vise. b) selecting the most rock solid scope mounts that can take a beating, like rolling an atv down a steep bank c) what kind of scope covers for the scope that will best protect it from mud and road debris, d) what cartridges are the best choice? - the ones you can buy at walmart/gas stations that come in the 24 round "hunter value pack"

sign me up :lol:

The Hermit
09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
How about some bowhunting articles too!

Bartell's constant nagging and yammering on the merits of the Barnes TSX convinced me to try them in my Weatherby 300 Mag Ultralight in a last ditch effort to make the gun group before I threw it on GunNutz,... he was right the gun shoots cloverleaves now!! Bartel for Prime Minister!!!

The Hermit
09-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I recently committed to write a review on a Chinese Crossbow for the manufacturer... if you want a copy I'l submit it for your perusal.

If the crossbow is any good I will be taking on the Canadian distributorship... mostly just to piss-off Mr. Onesock! LOL

4570hunter
09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I sent a PM to you regarding a story.

H Wally
09-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Good to hear that you're getting back into the fishing and hunting circle. I may start to read the magazines if they have a good selection of outdoors content.

BigBanger
09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
first topic

guns & loads for ATV hunters

overview - a) selecting the right overall length so you dont hang up in the brush when mounted in a kolpin grip vise. b) selecting the most rock solid scope mounts that can take a beating, like rolling an atv down a steep bank c) what kind of scope covers for the scope that will best protect it from mud and road debris, d) what cartridges are the best choice? - the ones you can buy at walmart/gas stations that come in the 24 round "hunter value pack"

sign me up :lol:

Thats funny shit , remington 710 , bilt like a rock .

wolverine
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Bartell for writer! ... got my vote. Put something back in that publication worth reading.

hannibal
09-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Yup. Bartell can write, and seems to know about guns. Makes sense to me. I'd happily fill the same position with corporate banter and recycled articles.:mrgreen:

Gateholio
09-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I'd go so far as to say he could write a gun talk column, AND answer questions abotu reloading for MODERN firearms. Antiques etc are probably out of his range, but most guys looking for info on loading their 1882 rifle wil look to other sources than BC Outdoors, anyway...

He can and has answered many, many reloading questions here and on opther forums.

Mr. Dean
09-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I'd go so far as to say he could write a gun talk column, AND answer questions abotu reloading for MODERN firearms. Antiques etc are probably out of his range, but most guys looking for info on loading their 1882 rifle wil look to other sources than BC Outdoors, anyway...

He can and has answered many, many reloading questions here and on opther forums.

.......... There goes the fancy spelling computron.... :razz:

Dirty
09-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Talk to Ali, she is always yammering about something :mrgreen:. She is the female equivalent of Bartell. Although a lot of it is about cooking, a man has got to eat. Her and Bartell could work as an insatiable duo.

Gateholio
09-15-2008, 05:02 PM
.......... There goes the fancy spelling computron.... :razz:

Alas, the work computron doens't do it for me...I suppose I could change the settings, but no idea how to do that:tongue:

Kechika
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Talk to Ali, she is always yammering about something :mrgreen:. She is the female equivalent of Bartell. Although a lot of it is about cooking, a man has got to eat. Her and Bartell could work as an insatiable duo.

ah never mind:lol:

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Talk to Ali, she is always yammering about something . She is the female equivalent of Bartell. Although a lot of it is about cooking, a man has got to eat. Her and Bartell could work as an insatiable duo.

Dusty, I thought we were friendshttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/angryfire.gif - I am forever insulted now - how could you even remotely compare me todbartell - I am absolutely way cuterhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/flirt.gif than him and pairing with me would be a grave error as that boy is so terrified of me and one other thing do not ever use the word INSATIABLE in the same sentence with my name and his name linked http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif,

You better watch your back misterhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/wizard.gifheheheheheheheheheh

However, I do take your comment about my writing about cooking as a compliment so that boosted you a little bit from the bottom of the barrel - I do know they already have a recipe writer in BC Outdoors.

Avalanche123
09-15-2008, 05:31 PM
How about some bowhunting articles too!

Bartel for Prime Minister!!!

You took all those words right out of my mouth. :)

Maybe Ali could run as his vice-prime minister. (not like we have one but hey if the US has Sarah, Canada can have Ali!

Hmmmmm, not so sure that is such a good comparison after all....:)

FlyingHigh
09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Dusty, I thought we were friendshttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/angryfire.gif - I am forever insulted now - how could you even remotely compare me todbartell - I am absolutely way cuterhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/flirt.gif than him and pairing with me would be a grave error as that boy is so terrified of me and one other thing do not ever use the word INSATIABLE in the same sentence with my name and his name linked http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif,

You better watch your back misterhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/wizard.gifheheheheheheheheheh

However, I do take your comment about my writing about cooking as a compliment so that boosted you a little bit from the bottom of the barrel - I do know they already have a recipe writer in BC Outdoors.

ouch...Dusty. you just got owned! rolf. :smile: i was about to agree with you, but i figure it's better to remain on Ali's good side. i've enjoyed a number of the recipes she's shared, and if i piss her off, my culinary exploits would be back to mac and cheese. :frown:

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 05:49 PM
jeepers y'all I had a shower today - thought I got that "kick me" sign of my back and "sucker" paint of my forehead

grrrrrrrrrrrrr guess I better try againhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/bad.gif

sure pick on the lady who has no man at home to cook for for another week :( dag nabbit

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif

abbyfireguy
09-15-2008, 06:32 PM
After seeing what you send off with the poor boys on their hunts to eat I think you are a shoe in for BC OUtdoors Alli....
Its a wonder they can walk after eating such fine tablefare.:smile:

Avalanche123
09-15-2008, 07:10 PM
jeepers y'all I had a shower today - thought I got that "kick me" sign of my back and "sucker" paint of my forehead

grrrrrrrrrrrrr guess I better try againhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/bad.gif

sure pick on the lady who has no man at home to cook for for another week :( dag nabbit

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif

Hey Ali, the opposite is true here. I do most of the cooking when I am at home, especially in the summer. We are not picking on you. we just all think all really highly of you!

Enjoy your downtime! :)

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
okay okay - you talked me into it hehehehe - I will come up with something for BC Outdoors

let me see, we had a story in it when Azshia had her "sweet 16" in the bush hunting her first moose

so tomorrow she will be 20 and again she is heading into the woods with us for our shared LEH moose draw in October

guess my laptop will come with me to the cabin so I can keep a diary of it all coming with me

:)

I will ask Mike (editor) about it.

Dirty
09-15-2008, 08:07 PM
[quote=newhunterette;328997]Dusty, I thought we were friendshttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/angryfire.gifquote]

Ali, Don't ever use my name, friends, and reference to you in the same sentence. I was trying to be nice by comparing you to Bartell. I could have compared you to something much worse.

Kechika
09-15-2008, 08:13 PM
[quote=newhunterette;328997]Dusty, I thought we were friendshttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/angryfire.gifquote]

Ali, Don't ever use my name, friends, and reference to you in the same sentence. I was trying to be nice by comparing you to Bartell. I could have compared you to something much worse.

This sounds like a lovers spat..keep it amongst youselves and your relationship counsler

oldsalt
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
"This sounds like a lovers spat..keep it amongst youselves and your relationship counsler"

Lets keep it on topic, and we don't need another cooking magazine, we need an honest to goodness hunting related publication.

You'd think nobody knows how to cook, seems we got that covered, but outdoor skills are sadly lacking today.
We need to focus on the young'ns and get them interested in being outdoors, not in the kitchen tied to a stove.

Teach them the proper game care so as the meat is not ruined.

I find most folks can cook, maybe not fancy shmancy, but wholesome enough, but put them in the woods they are lost.

newhunterette
09-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Lets keep it on topic, and we don't need another cooking magazine, we need an honest to goodness hunting related publication.

You'd think nobody knows how to cook, seems we got that covered, but outdoor skills are sadly lacking today.
We need to focus on the young'ns and get them interested in being outdoors, not in the kitchen tied to a stove.

Teach them the proper game care so as the meat is not ruined.

I find most folks can cook, maybe not fancy shmancy, but wholesome enough, but put them in the woods they are lost.

ya know what, I wasn't the one that went off the topic but my name was brought into it and yes we joke and kid around here at times - well at least I know I do and yes it goes off topic at times

and I did make mention that BC Outdoors already has a recipe and cook section so I would not have gone that direction - but a lot of people have asked me about cooking and recipes and yes, I did make a cookbook for HBC with the help of many members and with Marc's approval and I have shared the type of meals I make for my husband's fishing and hunting trips as people had asked what sort of things we all do for preperation on said trips

so if my posting in the recipe section has gotten on your nerves I won't post anything in there any longer

also I did finally mention the type of story I would enjoy sharing with BC Outdoors as it would have been a follow up to a previous story that they did publish of mine and it was related to HUNTING but I guess you didn't read that one did you

so Mike (Jokerwld) if you would be interested in the type of story I mentioned please feel free to message me regarding it

it would really be nice to see BC Outdoors become the magazine it used to be with both fishing and hunting monthly

thank you
Alison

Leaseman
09-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Oldsalt- you are new to this site I see.... Alison posts many fine recipes for all of us to enjoy.......

If for some reason you are refering in your post to Alison's discussions about cooking etc.,dont, there is a lot of people on this site that enjoy her ideas and recipes. My family looks forward to going to their place for dinner as it is always an adventure!

I fully agree with you that we need to have more young people getting into hunting and fishing. Game care is very important as you stated.... Now that they have it in the freezer, don't you think that they need to know how to prepare it? How about preparing it for people who have never eaten game meat before? Properly prepared game meat is a huge step to getting people to think more about hunting and eating their harvest....

Anyways, this is just another persons point of view! We need a magazine that covers ALL aspects of our fine sport.... from field to table would make me a happy camper!

Mike

4pntsorbetter
09-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I 5th the votes for T.B. You'd have to look far and wide for a better candidate. Plus, he's a BC'er. What more could you ask?

You might want to consider Jelvis as a writer/contributor. He's been around the block a time or two, and knows whereof he speaks (generally).
I would second the vote for Jelvis, but most of those stories would also need a Jelly to english dictionary.

4pntsorbetter
09-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Thats funny shit , remington 710 , bilt like a rock .
Built like a rock! yeah except the only thing it would be good for is tying to a rope and heaving off a boat!

4pntsorbetter
09-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Alas, the work computron doens't do it for me...I suppose I could change the settings, but no idea how to do that:tongue:
Oh my god, call me and I will tell you how to change the settings for the computron. For the love of all things good and spelled correctly

DropTines
09-29-2008, 04:20 PM
This could be good HBC advertisement. Mention us in the article

Tikka7mm
09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Oldsalt, first I have to say I agree with Leaseman on this one...field to table column is a great idea. Second, I don't think Ali is looking to write for a cooking magazine as you suggest. Third, she is a respected by many of the members here on HBC and always has a lot of interesting info to add to this site and no one can deny she is a great cook. It's just my opinion but if a good majority of HBC members enjoy her cooking ideas and recipes then there's a good chance that subscribers of BC Outdoors Magazine might enjoy them as well.

I think Todd Bartell column would be a great addition to the magazine...looking forward to upcoming subscriptions!

What better then to have a couple members of HBC as writers for BC Outdoors Magazine. Written for people that hunt by people who have a passion for the sport, not to mention the feedback they have available to them from this site.

I have to say that I might be inclined to re-subscribe. I have a subscription now but when I get the magazine I might read one or two articles and then turf it in to the recycle bin. It definitely needs to be revamped.