PDA

View Full Version : funniest hunting story i ever...

deerslyr
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
So like the boy and i went up country for the youth season.
We had been around Keromeos the first weekend but wanted to see some more country.
So we are driving all day and had seen dozens of does. No bucks. Driving back to camp at dusk and there in the ditch is a 4 pt. Holy crap. Now the boy had left his glasses back at the trailer, mistake #1. This buck is 8 feet from the truck.
So i say Jeremy there's a fricken 4 pt. He says i can't see it. It's right therrrrrreeeee!!! So i drive up the road a bit so he can get out without spookin the thing. He gets out of the truck.
The deer is in the ditch eating like nothing is going on. Shoot him Jeremy shoot him. I can't see him. He's right therrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Then he see's him. The look on his face is priceless. So instead of shooting he walks closer. I'm "whisper yelling" SHOOT HIM SHOOT HIM.
The thing bounds across the road into the opposite ditch. Crap. We go after him. Holy crap there are TWO MORE bucks down there. Jeremy is frozen, i say shoot him. He says which one? I say ANY ONE SHOOT ANY ONE. So he shoots, nothing happens. He says i got him dad i got him. Jeremy they are still standing, shoot him again. He says i only brought one bullet. What do you mean you only brought one bullet????? That's all i thought i would need. Go get another one.
By the time he gets back the deer are in the bush. The boy is devasted beyond words. I'm wondering were did i go wrong, poor kid.
So nothing this youth season. October we are going to Valemount for a nice week away.

Live and learn eh.

Sharkey
09-09-2008, 03:35 PM
That's awesome! How is he feeling after that one?

horshur
09-09-2008, 03:35 PM
yep...............can't say I was much different myself the first few times...and with my kids it is dejavu all over again...

Shooter
09-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Lol. That's really tough on the young fella I bet. I went through the same sort of thing last year trying to get my son his first. He was shooting paper decent but when I put animals in front of him he was shooting wild. Took a couple of missed opportunities before he settled down. When he did get his first it was a small spike that we watched and got set up on for about 5 mins. He wasnt in any hurry to go anywhere. My son had plenty of time to calm himself and make a good shot. This year he has already bagged his first opportunity. I think the youngsters sometimes just really need to get the first one under thier belt in order to calm down a bit. I bet he learned a lesson with the 1 bullet thing tho..lol

rishu_pepper
09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Ouch... well, we've all missed before, hope that's his first and last :cool:

spreerider
09-09-2008, 03:58 PM
lol wow i can remember the same thing happening to me, only grabbing one bullet then missing and having to run back to the truck to grab the rest.

Squirrelnuts
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Gotta think that's happened to a lot of us, (and not just as youngsters, either). I watched a friend of mine (35 years old, new to hunting) fumble around in much the same manner last year... Driving to where we usually get out and walk, little 2 point minding his own business. Brakes on, door flung open, trying to jack shells into his rifle. Mayhem. Deer starts to walk away. Rifle comes up, waving around like mad. Scope's cranked up to 9 and now he can't find the damn deer.

It decides it's seen enough and bounces off into the bush.

I hope the young fella's not beating himself up too bad. Just a lesson learned.

stanway
09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Poor guy - I feel for him. Tell him not to feel bad as we have all made those kinds of mistakes. I've done a few and I started hunting much later in life.:redface: He will learn from his mistakes and be a better hunter for it.

MerrittBow
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
That's how i was about 2 years ago couldn't hit a thing i was just lucky that they would stay there long enough for me to get past buck fever

rocksteady
09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Duct tape his glasses to his head so he can see and then buy him one of those ammo carriers that slips over the butt of the rifle....

johnes50
09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
LOL "What do you mean you only brought one bullet?" Priceless!

Phreddy
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I promised Dave I wouldn't tell. Right Marty? :-)

sparky300winmag
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Thats OK Deerslyr ,saturday my 12 yr missed a big 2x3,a 3x3 and a 4x4 all in about 2 1/2 hrs.My 14 yr shoots a small 2pt and an hour later we spotted (2) 3 pts working there way up a slash.He was wishing he didn't take the small 2 pt,but thats hunting.

Buckwheat
09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
That's too bad, hope you have better luck in your October trip.

bcbooner
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
No worries,happens to most new hunters.There will be other chances.A few Deer under his belt he will settle down,lets hope the excitement never leaves.

hunter1947
09-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Isn't that the way it goes sometimes ,LOL.