PDA

View Full Version : Digging out the rifles.

brotherjack
09-09-2008, 02:41 PM
It's that time again, time to dig out the rifles and make sure they're ready to go for opening day.

I've got enough rounds downrange in the Tikka T3 that I'm declaring it ready to hunt at any range inside 300 yards. I really would like another hundred rounds or so downrange, but given that the last 30 rounds went spot-on where they were supposed to (give or take less than 3/4 of an inch), not to mention another 50 rounds of handloads before that held down around 2 inch or less at 100 meters before I reached a load that would go 1.25 inches consistently, so I'm confident enough in it. So, The Wife(tm) has a gun to pack with her opening day that won't throw her back out (and she was shooting beautifully with it the other day at the range), so, check gun number one.

Me, I'm once again packing my old 303 Enfield. That's not a bad thing - I've shot all but one of the big game animals I've ever shot in my life with this rifle (and they all died really-dang-fast), and if you asked me to hit something 300 yards away, of all the guns I own, this is the one I'd grab to do it with. I've shot it enough to trust that bullets number 1 and 2 from a cold barrel will go approximately in the same hole if I do my part, and bullet number 3 from the now warm barrel will be about 1.25 inches to the right of the first two. Man, this gun is ugly and heavy, but I do like it despite myself. Check gun number two.

OK, nuff of that. Long story short - The Wife(tm) and I are ready to fling some lead tomorrow morning, should the critters co-operate. :)

rocksteady
09-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Long story short - The Wife(tm) and I are ready to fling some lead tomorrow morning, should the critters co-operate. :)

Fling away BJ, good luck to you and the Mrs.

eastkoot
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
The Sako 300 mag is all cleaned up and shooting 200 gr Nosler Accubonds exactly 2.5 inches high @ 100 meters. All I have to do is wait for FD to show up. Ya Rams, I'm related!!??

rocksteady
09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
FD to show up. Ya Rams, I'm related!!??

You poor Bugger...:razz::razz::razz:

eastkoot
09-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I know and the worst part about it is I live in Gods country and he keeps coming over to see what elk look like!!!

rocksteady
09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Get a fake DNA printout and change the locks..Problems solved:-D:-D

moosinaround
09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Good luck Brother Jack! Moosin

Buckman
09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Hope you get one and I'm glad you got that rifle to shoot straight.

rishu_pepper
09-09-2008, 05:36 PM
All I have to do is wait for FD to show up. Ya Rams, I'm related!!??

I know and the worst part about it is I live in Gods country and he keeps coming over to see what elk look like!!!

Poor guy... he'll come over and lord it over with how good his Red Wings are... :p

johnes50
09-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Good Luck tomorrow to you and your wife. I wouldn't let the wife use the Tikka though. If she shoots something it'll be her 'Lucky Rifle' all the time and you'll still shooting all your game with the 303.:grin:

Shooter Jr.
09-09-2008, 05:42 PM
good luck tommorrow. My family did good opening day had a stack of 3 that day :)hopfully yours will go the same way

brotherjack
09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Na, she can use the Tikka all she wants. Soon as I get the Kimber out of my hair, I get another Tikka all to myself (in stainless this time, I think). :)

And just because I'm the paranoid soul that I am, I took a quick run to the range before the weather got nasty this evening just to verify point of impact one last time, and look at one last run from the Tikka (and also to look at a run from the 303, as I hadn't shot it in a LONG time). The Tikka laid out a 1.15 inch group. And my baby the 303 laid out a 0.65 inch group. I still have no idea how that old 303 can shoot like that as busted up and ugly as it is (shooting Winchester grey box ammo to boot), but it does it like clockwork (assuming the scope isn't knocked out of whack, which I have done before).

:)

Night night ya'll - we'll see what stories we all have by tomorrow evening.

hunter1947
09-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Good luck to all you cranbrook boys and girls today ,I hope to see some nice pic of some bulls on the forum latter today ??.