PDA

View Full Version : Day 9 - Time to break out the '06

rocksteady
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
6 C and clear this morning ,went into the area where I got my whitey..

05:30 can hear a bull bugling to the South of me a km away , in the dark..

Snuck right in to the exact spot I was sitting in the other day..Awaiting daylight....If all goes as planned, the elk should come from my left, down the trail heading into the cutblock...Wind is blowing downhill, gently....

Sitting there for 5 minutes and all of a sudden GRONK !! Cow alarm bark (Son of a B*$%H) off to my right about 80 yards, still too dark to see anything, wait another 10 minutes, couple more barks.....Elk were coming the other way, from the block towards me and must have winded me....

Grab my gear and beat it straight up hill to a high point where I can see the whole block (its all pine regen about 8 or 10 feet tall)......Set down on my arse and start glassing, see a cow and a calf at the far end (600 yards), they are just grazing along, not really going anywhere fast.....

Still glassing and all of a sudden HOLY SHAT !!!! BIG BULL !!!! Try to get a read on his points, binos are shaking too much...Scoot uphill and find a nice high stump, lay down the glasses for a good rest........1,2,3,4,5 Damn.....1,2,3,4,5, Double Damn.....

Massive 5 point....I thought for a moment he was a 6 he was so huge...Only had a couple other cows with them, so herd of 5.....

They wandered their way uphill and into the timber, I snuck over and tried to follow their trail, but no luck, they just snuck through the thick timber without a sound...No bugling from this bull at all...I tried acouple of cow calls and spike yelps, but no response...

So I think that wraps up my bow season, time to shake the dust off the ole '06 and the spotting scope and to now try to hunt down a 6 point.

Overall though it has still been a blast, seeing lots of elk, been close, just failed to get everything to come together perfectly.....Oh well, can't say I did not try......

WHo know, maybe I will try an evening hunt tonight...Not sure, I know an area that is very open and usually productive for elk in therifle season that I may have to sneeek into very early.....Don't want to stay up too late, need my beauty sleep you know!!!!!

brotherjack
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds about like my morning, but no bull for me. I setup at the edge of the timber glassing a cutblock and steep drainage. Elk came through on the other side of the drainage way off in the distance. I climbed down and back up the other side of the ravine, and headed up and over the ridgeline they were heading for. I made tracks as fast as I quietly could trying to get to where I was expecting them to come over the top of the ridge.

I was just about to where I thought they should come out of the trees into the cutblock on this side of the ridge, when I hear a light crunch down the hill, clear on the other side of the cutblock and heading off into country I'd never catch them in. Glasses up - yep, there they are, same 2 cows and a calf I saw earlier. 400 yards away, and heading into the timber.

And that was that - it was all over but the long walk back to the truck.

At least I saw some elk and got some exercise. It was an improvement. :)

moosinaround
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Just got back from Chetwynd elk hunting. Man I had some come in close, but I just can't seem to close the deal! I can get them interested, I can get them to within a couple hundred yards, then they just turn off or hang up. Boy having them come in bugling like mad is soo cool! I'm trying again on thursday! Six pointer here I come!! Moosin:smile:

hunter1947
09-09-2008, 12:41 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth Mike when you said you had fun bugling elk and seeing them ,no cigar for you in bow ,but you will light up that cigar when rifle comes in ,thanks for all the posts on your bow hunts for elk ,man it felt like I was with you on all of them ,good luck tomorrows rifle ,pic to follow http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

BCRiverBoater
09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Just got back from Chetwynd elk hunting. Man I had some come in close, but I just can't seem to close the deal! I can get them interested, I can get them to within a couple hundred yards, then they just turn off or hang up. Boy having them come in bugling like mad is soo cool! I'm trying again on thursday! Six pointer here I come!! Moosin:smile:

Sometimes it pays off to go after the bull. They surely do not come in all the time or we would have an elk by day 2. I have found going after them aggressively when the are holed up works. Of course the wind needs to be in your favor and it does chase some out of there. I bull looking for a fight does not come in quiet so why should you. Just depends on the bull. Some come in quiet but some come in crazy loud.