PDA

View Full Version : Ramless on Crater Mtn. (ATV's way to high)

David Heitsman
09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Just returned from three days helping my friend who had drawn a Cali tag
in the Crater Mtn area. The area is wild and beautiful and it's hard to imagine that it's only three hours from Vancouver. We set up a wall tent
camp right on the clear Ashnola River. Great fun.

We got on two groups (16) of dry ewes and another pair of ewes each with lambs. They were quite skittish. I was unable to locate any rams
and without a lot of knowledge of the area I would have really needed to allow more days. But, three is all we had so we made the best of it.

We hiked to the top of Crater and circled it both days hoping to find rams.
Of particular concern to me however is the sheep hunters who are
flaunting the posted ATV restricted signs and actually running right over Crater on their quads. Would you really feel right shooting a sheep from your ATV? Do you think that's fair to those who hike the two easy hours
to get to the top only to have machines rumble past them?

I spoke to one pair of ATV operators and reminded them that they could end up with their machines confiscated if they were found so far above the treeline in the alpine areas. Their excuse was that everyone was doing it and while this may be true, it doesn't make it right. I give them credit however as they did turn back immediately and rode down out of the alpine area.

Saw very little deer sign and was disapointed as I had heard that the area
held good deer numbers. Actually saw a wolf right in the Crater which kind of surprised as I wasn't aware that they were that far south.

When grouse opens this week there are excellent numbers of blues for you bird guys!

ElectricDyck
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
That sucks to see that, we saw dirt bike tracks in 3:32 in the vehicle restricted areas as well. Where's the pics?

GoatGuy
09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Too bad - guess there isn't any time left on the LEH.

Gotta hunt them in the timber, especially on that side. Seem to find more of the muley bucks on the north side early in hunting season.

I know what you mean about all the traffic up there - after the first hunt all you find is hunters. Even the ewes and lambs push off the high country and are only found on the fringe.

Too bad you couldn't get some license plate numbers - the CO's patrol up there fairly often and have to hang new signs in there regularly.

BCrams
09-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Tough luck with the atv's. I would have focussed on areas where the atv's couldn't go (timber) seeing as rams don't care for them much either.

The deer are there! Saw quite a few myself in there and picked up a lot of bone without even looking for them.

horshur
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
hunt lower for sheep.
the resident deer get wise pretty quik and the wintering herd on Crater won't be there till heavy snow in November...you should see that mnt in the Rut!!!! I was told that some of the wintering bucks on Crater summer in Manning(Bios Packer)

Deaddog
09-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Glad to hear it was still an enjoyable trip, perhaps next year.

Avalanche123
09-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Too bad about the atvs. Sounds like an enjoyable trip regardless. Too bad you didn't gt a pic of them on their atv's.....that would have been good info to take to the CO's.

SHAKER
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds like pro sheep hunters up there trying to wack one from the quad. I've replaced those signs 2 years in a row now and will hopefully try and arange some wilderness watch guys to do a camp out next year. Didn't work out this year due to I had a tag on the "snowy side".

(Their is NO DEER on Crater untill well after the season)

JDR
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Horshur is right, the rams and most of the sheep are lower down on Crater. Most people make the mistake of hunting too high for these sheep. One of my hunting parters was lucky to get drawn in 2006 and we were fortunate enough to take a book ram on opening day.

It's too bad about he ATV's driving where they shouldn't be. The few usually ruin it for the many, but in this case it sounds like the many, lol. People need to understand that the consequences could be complete closure and then we hike from the river bottom.

Many times while hiking in the alpine I come across torn up alpine meadows. I find it very irritating...people should at least have the common sense to stick to the roads.

wildman 22
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
hey shaker,did you get your ram?

steel_ram
09-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Most of the Rams I've ever seen in that area were on the steep slopes near the area boundary towards Hedley. (Larcan Crk area)

Definately seen some decent mulies early season on Crater.

Be sure to take pic's of anyone being a azz on a ATV and post them.

David Heitsman
09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I understand that there have been a couple rams taken this fall in he Larcan area. I just didn't have time to look over there. Paul creek area looked good too but the FN band there was denying access to anyone that I had talked to. If it's a private road, I guess that's their right
but I would bet that it's maintained by tax dollars and if so that concerns me.
I glassed in from the highway up Larcan and the mouth of Paul but it was
mid day and 25 degrees and I didn't expect much.

SHAKER
09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
hey shaker,did you get your ram?

No point going up there if you aint go'n to pull the trigger!
I'll post story tomarrow. Just didnt' want to post till after the inspection!
But since thats done.....stay tuned.

Orangethunder
09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
[quote=David Heitsman;326589] Paul creek area looked good too but the FN band there was denying access to anyone that I had talked to. If it's a private road, I guess that's their right
but I would bet that it's maintained by tax dollars and if so that concerns me.
quote]

Since band members pay no taxes I would say your right. There is more money spent per capita on First Nations than any other demographic in our country, followed by the super friendly Quebecers. They can restrict access to land/roads/water that is maintained by your tax dollars. Reserves are considered private land.

It also sucks to here that some hunters feel obligated to quad outside of the allowable area. Probably the same a**holes that cant pass a wetland without spinning the hell out of it.

Thanks for sharing.

wildman 22
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
No point going up there if you aint go'n to pull the trigger!
I'll post story tomarrow. Just didnt' want to post till after the inspection!
But since thats done.....stay tuned.
well done shaker , pics also.

steel_ram
09-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Last time I was on a hunt there we were told after the fact, that a permit to access Paul Crk could be aquired from the band office in Keremeos. They weren't free, and who knows if native boys out in the range would respect any permit given out in town, or the parked vehicles of those up hunting.

Blainer
09-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Last time I was on a hunt there we were told after the fact, that a permit to access Paul Crk could be aquired from the band office in Keremeos. They weren't free, and who knows if native boys out in the range would respect any permit given out in town, or the parked vehicles of those up hunting.No permission granted this year,I tried.

steepNdeep
09-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Bummer about the quads. I've heard that about the area before... Hopefully they actually do something about it...

I hear you on the wolves - they are illegal immigrants from the south. Comin' up everywhere!

Nice ram in your avatar! Did you get that yourself or was it guided?

David Heitsman
09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Steep n Deep,

The ram in my avatar was guided by Tuchodi River Outfitters in 2007.
I'm sitting in Ft. Nelson this evening waiting for the plane to take me to the Gataga area tomorrow morning. I have been planning to go back with TRO since I got out last fall. I booked a 15 day horse / back packing hunt
for mixed bag. Also drew a gbear tag so would be nice to settle my .375 on one maybe coming or going from a sheep mountain.

I wrote an article on the trip for the Wild Sheep Society newsletter.

Have been working out for 3 months since June at a cardio-core bootcamp everyday in Abbotsford. My legs and lungs never felt better.

The Ashnola for a few days last week was my appetizer.