PDA

View Full Version : Region 6 or 7B

Theo
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi There,

Really never post on HBC but always finding myself reading everyone's write up and stories and checking out the pictures. Anyways I was hoping to get some help or advise from you guy's on what region we should go to for moose. I'm not looking for your honey hole well it would be nice but I know it won't happen so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Our problem is the group I hunt with all got Skunked on LEH this year so it only leaves the Open Season for us and we really have no interest in Hunting spike fork bull's or calves! So it look's like we have to drive North... Far far north!

Couple of the options are:
Region 7B
MU 7-49, 7-55 or 7-56 or maybe the Sikanni Chief area

Region 6
Around the Dease Lake area

So the problem is none of us have hunted up there before so we are walking in blind and have to scout the whole area to figure out what work's so my questions are:

Region 6 or 7B?

Have no problems driving and scouting but if 1 region is better then the other we would rather spend our time there! Any info on the area would be great even if it's just a point in the right direction.

We are also heading up in the first week and a half of October incase that makes a difference.

Thanks ahead in advance

ryanb
09-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Moose hunting is better in NW BC, in my limited opinion. However, there is much less access in that area. Apart from only a handful of roads, there is not much drive in access to any backcountry in that area of 6, unless you want to go for the 1 week open season in southern areas of 6 in October.

jml11
09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I would consider the one week open bull season in Region 6, you don't have to drive nearly as far (as close as vanderhoof, well just south of it) and there are lots of moose! (plus you can shoot any bull, not just the tri-palm/ ten points). There is a lot of pressure in spots but quite a few bulls are still taken. I believe the season is later in October than you want to go though.

I've heard people have had trouble finding moose around dease lake, mostly due to poor and limited access, region 7B holds lots of moose, but there numbers are still way down due to bad winter kill a couple years back. The open bull season this year proved that as many camps came back empty handed. I only saw three racks head south this year and I usually see a couple dozen. I imagine going during the rut as you plan would increase your chances though.

killman
09-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I think you should ask Kev.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

BCrams
09-08-2008, 08:55 PM
There are big moose to be had in the Dease country if you're willing to work for them and get beyond the rut closure areas. Best way would be to fly into a lake. There is no shortage of lakes for hunting moose up there. Or go by boat on one of the rivers, (such as the Stikine or Dease River).

The Peace in 7b was hit pretty good but you could always go even further north to hunt moose around Ft Nelson where it would be better but again, a boat / atv would be required to increase your odds.

Other than that, like others have mentioned, there's the open bull season the 3rd week of October in 6....(timed after the rut) and provides good opportunities to harvest a moose if you can get away from the crowds.

jml11
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
ahh yes I forgot about the rut closures in the upper M-U's of Region 6!

Theo
09-09-2008, 10:29 AM
We hit Burns Lake last year for the Open Season Bull's from October 20th - 26th and only came home with one bull. It wasnt bad but it wasnt great seemed like allot of pressure on the area and the natives didn't help out with the pit lamping at night time.

Anyways 1 of the guy's in the group can't change his holiday time so we are set on Oct 3rd - 13th

I was sort of thinking of MU 7 - 55 and trying to hunt off the LIARD highway? Hoping it might be a good area for a base camp since there are supposed to be lot's of oil and Gas lines.

We are trailering up a couple of quads, hunting buggy and a car topper boat with a 10hp motor. So hopefully that should cover us for getting into different area's. Hopefully we can find a area to set up our wall tent and park a couple of full size truck's to make a base camp.

Would the boat be enough for the river's up there?

What about the MUSKWA.... is that pretty much a Jet Boat or Horse back hunting trip? Heard it's awesome but there is no road access to get into it.

Thanks for the info guy's this is what I was looking for!

Oh and Shane thanks for the help in asking Kev because that's working out great!

Thanks again everyone

BCrams
09-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Liard Hwy is a good place to go with the equipment you're hauling. Lots of places to explore with the atv's and using the boat. Not a bad bet to get up the winter road towards Kotcho / Sierra / Helmut as well for moose. Maxhamish is busy. Nelson Forks is a good area too.

Should be a fun exploratory trip for you guys.

Theo
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info BCrams are those areas off of the Liard hwy?

cinnabear
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
If you go to dease lake area , I heard boulder city Rd could be a place to go. Not sure about any road closures though. Good hunting wherever you go

Dad and son
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
One reason to consider going up to the Laird highway area is the scenery. The north is truly an amazing piece of God's creation. For example, I had no idea why there was a place called Pink Mountain until I saw a pink mountain. The Alaska Highway is an awesome drive. Very beautiful but very limited services for food, gas etc so you have to come with everything you need or might need and I mean everything. Stock up at Ft, Nelson as that is really the last piece of civilization until Muncho Lake a long ways away. The Muskwa area is boat and horse accessible but there are a few quad/ truck trails. If you plan to access these you should first talk to me or someone else who has been on them as they are hard to find and all offer some challenges. They are certainly not like a typical FSR in the rest of the province. The gov't brochures on the area call it the Serengeti of North America because it has such diverse animal populations and the area is so untouched by human activity, much like the Serengeti of Africa. Also keep in mind that many spots on the Alaska Hiway after Ft Nelson I was driving less than 40 kmh because of road conditions etc as I was towing a travel trailer. There is also lots of loose gravel on these northern roads so you will probably get a few stone chips on your windshield. The car topper will work on lakes, resident hunters in the area all use jet boats on the rivers.

hunter1947
09-11-2008, 04:04 AM
7-45 would be the place I would hit for moose.

Theo
09-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I am definitely interested in the MUSKWA and will make a trip in there someday, I just didn't think it would be our best option for our first time in 7B. From everything I read it sounds like you need a jet boat or Horse to make the trip truly worth it.

The kind of trip I'm trying to plan would put us a couple of hours off of a highway with a good network of trail's for us to scout and harvest the game were after. I know were going to have to work for it and pound the ground hard trying to find them but that's hunting and were traveling 2 day's to go do it!

I thought of the Liard highway because well it's the farthest north we can go and I have to admit I think the scenery would be like nothing we've seen before and I was hopping the oil and gas lines would cover the area to increase our odds. The only down side to the Liard Highway is that there's no general open season for bull elk's so it would strictly be a Moose hunt as everything else is closed. Which is not horrible as we are on a moose hunt but it's always nice to have tag's for other game so you can increase your odd's and mix it up.

Hunter 1947 - We are actually thinking of MU 7-45 & 7-46 since we could hunt Elk 6 point bull's and we thought there might be less pressure on the area as it's east side of the Alaska Highway.

At the end of the day were after moose so what MU do you think would increase our odd's.... 7-55 & 7-56 or 7-45 & 7-46?

Once again thanks everyone, all this info is great and is helping us out tremendously

hunter1947
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I am definitely interested in the MUSKWA and will make a trip in there someday, I just didn't think it would be our best option for our first time in 7B. From everything I read it sounds like you need a jet boat or Horse to make the trip truly worth it.

The kind of trip I'm trying to plan would put us a couple of hours off of a highway with a good network of trail's for us to scout and harvest the game were after. I know were going to have to work for it and pound the ground hard trying to find them but that's hunting and were traveling 2 day's to go do it!

I thought of the Liard highway because well it's the farthest north we can go and I have to admit I think the scenery would be like nothing we've seen before and I was hopping the oil and gas lines would cover the area to increase our odds. The only down side to the Liard Highway is that there's no general open season for bull elk's so it would strictly be a Moose hunt as everything else is closed. Which is not horrible as we are on a moose hunt but it's always nice to have tag's for other game so you can increase your odd's and mix it up.

Hunter 1947 - We are actually thinking of MU 7-45 & 7-46 since we could hunt Elk 6 point bull's and we thought there might be less pressure on the area as it's east side of the Alaska Highway.

At the end of the day were after moose so what MU do you think would increase our odd's.... 7-55 & 7-56 or 7-45 & 7-46?

Once again thanks everyone, all this info is great and is helping us out tremendously
My friend gets his 6 point out of the Barker creek drainage every year ,just hunt on the east side of the Barker creek and walk to wards the sikanni chief river.
A few times I have been down that rough and saw elk in that place ,a few 5x5.

You will see elk in there for sure ,also work the cut lines as well for both elk and moose.

This turn off is on your right headed up the A hi way ,you turn on an old spur road just before you come to the sikanni C ,hope this might help you or others out http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.