PDA

View Full Version : Cassiar Hwy.

rifleman
09-08-2008, 12:19 PM
We are heading up to Atlin area on Wed. I'm wondering if anyone has driven the Cassiar Hwy recently and if so what shape is it in?
We are towing a 5th wheel.

thanx in advance..

Everett
09-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Drove it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was fine except for the chunk along dease lake.

jml11
09-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Not sure how long it has been since you last drove it but to the best of my knowledge it is now all paved...?? I was told a couple of years ago by some Tahltan folk that is supposed to all be paved soon just not sure if has been completed yet. I was up at the Galore Creek mine site this past winter but don't know if the road was paved yet as it was all covered in ice.....We took a jet boat up the stikine three years ago and the highway was ok to there then, better than I had expected actually.

Everett
09-08-2008, 08:32 PM
There is a 40km or so chunk that wasn't paved as of three weeks ago

BCrams
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
A good chunk of highway isn't paved north of Cassiar. It will be slow going hauling a 5th wheel with all the corners and on the more narrow highway. The hill also isn't paved at the Stikine Crossing.

Thats from our trip to Whitehorse a few weeks ago and it was bad enough that we came home via the Alaska Highway and made way better time as the highway all the way through to the junction past Watson Lake is straighter, and in much better shape........and we weren't even hauling anything.

The Alaska Highway would be my choice if I were you. You will make way better time.

Avalanche123
09-09-2008, 07:44 AM
THe highway north of Cassiar is seal coated but not gravel. Having done both ways numerous times, I suggest doing both as IMHO both have their pros and cons. I guess the biggest pro for me going the Alaska Highway is stopping at Liard River Hot Springs.

Both ways are scenic. I guess there is better pavement on the AK Highway too since you are towing so I give that route the nod.

44inchStone
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Was on the highway this past spring Grizz Hunting. There's just one small portion left near Galore mine where it's not paved. Other than that it has been taken pretty good care of. Excellent time to travel up there right now. The colors will be exceptional, however be VERY careful of the animals. With the rut going to be coming on soon, there will be more critters travelling the highway. Take your time, rest at nights and have a great trip.!!

rifleman
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Was on the highway this past spring Grizz Hunting. There's just one small portion left near Galore mine where it's not paved. Other than that it has been taken pretty good care of. Excellent time to travel up there right now. The colors will be exceptional, however be VERY careful of the animals. With the rut going to be coming on soon, there will be more critters travelling the highway. Take your time, rest at nights and have a great trip.!!
I have a moose tag in my back pocket just waiting to be cut. We hope to get a moose on the way up to atlin & then go for sheep.

Avalanche123
09-09-2008, 07:24 PM

All new pavement there now! Only unpaved section if Stikine River and of course north of Dease Lake.