PDA

View Full Version : Day 8 - In the thick of it, but no chance

rocksteady
09-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Went to an old stomping grounds this morning that I used to hunt all the time, when you get to the end you will realize why I do not hunt it anymore....

Large tract of crown land bordering Private, posted, no hunting whatsoeveer type land (I have asked several times over the years)....

Sneek in the dark, get set up, here some small bugles at 06:00 (still dark), try to make my way North to cut them off, cause I know where they are going (into the private)...

By the time I get where they are going to be entering private land, its too late. Watch them go up onto a small rise in the private. Approx. 20 elk, 5 are bulls, (4 spikes or 2's) and the last is the bugling herd bull. Could not tell if he was a 5 or a 6 (I was about 600 yards or so away and the binos, just could not pick up the tines.....)

I tried some hyper cow calling after I saw the herd bull chase off 2 spikes. I have done that before where the herd bull wants the little guys out, you try to soundlike another herd and the little guys sometimes come running (as long as you don't bugle)....No luck, they were so determiined to follow the others !!

The bull was still bugling his guts out in the timber when I walked away at 10:00 (I hope he gets a sore throat!!!)....

Used to hunt this area in the past years and always seem to run into this scenario. They seem to move onto private right at daylight, and trying to get a shot before is almost impossible due to light...(or darkness, I should say)....

Oh well, it does show me that the rut is starting,hopefully that will help me out once rifle opens up (not on this piece of property)......

One more morning of bow, gotta have a nap and think about how I will spend it...(and where)...

Tikka7mm
09-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I've been in this same scenario with deer here on the island. We would hunt hard all day and catch glimpses of a few smaller deer only to glass the really nice shooters off in the distance out on the farmers fields grazing away....we, like you asked numerous farmers for permission to hunt their land but they always made up some excuse or just responded with a blatant "no" followed by a few choice expletives lol....frustrating to say the least.

Leaseman
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Well Rocksteady, you sure are putting in the time and effort for sure!! Looking forward to pics of the kill.....8-)

09-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Rocksteady,
stay in there over night just out of their path, no fire, no stove, nuttin!
But you and some overnight food, give er!
I'm sure you thought of it anyway. The smart bulls are schooled.
PS ... don't forget some bug dope ....... downwind.
C/T

Ambush
09-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Whatever happens, keep posting your daily report! I'm really enjoying your hunt.
I went north a week ago in the Halfway area, and it was very dissapointing. Dry, warm and grasshoppers. Couldn't even find a decent buck to arrow.

But your keeping me revved up to go again end of this week!! Keep it coming.

rocksteady
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all of the encouragement, just hoping one of these days, prior to Day 99, I can post - Finally killed an elk !!! as the title, then I can try and point others in the right direction to get theirs....

Shed Hunter
09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I will be disappointed when you get one. there will be know more stores

rocksteady
09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh hell ya....Then I will be onto either a pig of a mulie, or maybe a whitey, then theres always Bartell, I mean coyote season....