PDA

View Full Version : Regarding a normal camera.

hunter1947
09-08-2008, 06:11 AM
I just want to ask you members if you have had a pic magnified to bring the animal in on the pic closer so you can see it better.

These animals which where elk where taken with a normal 35mm camera and the rough distance was about 150 yards out ????.

Little Hawk
09-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Howdy,

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe if it's a digital, the higher the megapixel's the larger you can blow it up without distortion. I think the same logic applies with a 35mm. More bigger... more blurry.

I like the digital camera's for the simple reason you can put em' on your computer and blow'em up yourself.

Gotta' get me one like we got for our daughter. It's a Panasonic, 7 or 8 megapixel, with a 10-power optical zoom (Leica lens) and it's no bigger than a pack of king-size smokes. Around $300 smackers!

Good Luck,
Terry

hunter1947
09-08-2008, 07:06 AM
I think that terry has a good point hear.

I'm sick and tired of my easy share LS753.

It pauses for about 5 sec before I can take a another pic.

It also doesn't take pic very good in the early morning or late evening when it is stating to loose light.

For $300.00 I think I will get a better camera.
These 7 bull elk all together that I seen on the weekend bunched up together would have paid for a new camera with the one shot.

I am sick and tired of loosing pic I have taken with this Kodak camera I have.

Viking
09-08-2008, 07:12 AM
If the picture is good quality you can scan it and blow it up on your computer with a photo shop program.

hunter1947
09-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Umm that isn't a regular 35mm camera. Thats a 5 megapixel digital camera.
Can you not zoom the picture internally on the camera?
Kenkell 1the kodak camera I was talking about was left in my truck ,I took the normal camera 35mm in order to use up a film in it that has been in there for over a year.

whitetailsheds
09-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Wayne, I "used" to do alot of wildlife photography, with a 35 mm.
Unless you are using a large telephoto lens (300mm and up = $2500) and a really high speed film, WITH a tripod, it is really hard to get great, close up photos of game.
The lens that comes with most SLR (meaning removable lens), is a 50 mm lens. 50 mm = 1 power. 300mm = 6 power.
You have to close the distance alot and have good light to get that great photo of the bull elk we all want to see.
High speed film (800 ASA and up) requires alot of light and a perfectly still/ cooperative critter not standing in the shadows. Which also means a pretty still/ stable camera meaning you need a tripod.
And when it comes to light and opportunity to take a good photo of a big bull, the two usually don't cooperate as alot of game is not moving in bright sunlight.
With the ease of the digital camera and size of these compacts, I've quit carrying a huge, heavy camera body with a honking big lens as it was just too much.
The price of a good digital, and so much foregiveness and ability to work with images afterwards, a $200 to $500 digital will do great for ya. Especially for zooming in WHILE TAKING THE PHOTO, and zooming in afterward at home on the computer. Good luck!!

MichelD
09-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Roughly speaking, 35 mm film averages about 12 megapixels, more than twice the common 5 mpgs used in digital cameras.

You should be fine.

fozzy
09-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Howdy,

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe if it's a digital, the higher the megapixel's the larger you can blow it up without distortion. I think the same logic applies with a 35mm. More bigger... more blurry.

I like the digital camera's for the simple reason you can put em' on your computer and blow'em up yourself.

Gotta' get me one like we got for our daughter. It's a Panasonic, 7 or 8 megapixel, with a 10-power optical zoom (Leica lens) and it's no bigger than a pack of king-size smokes. Around $300 smackers!

Good Luck,
Terry

Panasonic makes an 18x optical zoom camera. They just released one that is 10 mp. I have on enrout from Cameraland in NY. I took a picture of a bedded buck beside a tractor and it looks like I took a picture of the tractor. :) Hopefully the new camera will be better.

Tikka7mm
09-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I think that terry has a good point hear.

I'm sick and tired of my easy share LS753.

It pauses for about 5 sec before I can take a another pic.

It also doesn't take pic very good in the early morning or late evening when it is stating to loose light.

For $300.00 I think I will get a better camera.
These 7 bull elk all together that I seen on the weekend bunched up together would have paid for a new camera with the one shot.

I am sick and tired of loosing pic I have taken with this Kodak camera I have.

I have to agree with you 1947. I got tired of missing good shots due to the delay in shutter lag in contrast to when you actually want to take the picture. Having to wait for your camera for another 5-6 seconds to take another shot is frustrating. If you want to shoot wild life you need a faster camera like an SLR or a DSLR.

I bit the bullet and bought a new one for myself about 4 months a go, a Nikon D40 DSLR 6mp with an 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and an additional small telephoto 55-200mm f4-5.6 and I have been getting some beautiful shots... I couldn't be happier with it. Like whitetailsheds mentioned big SLR camera can be a pain to carry around. The Nikon D40 is the smallest DSLR on the market. It's not the most expensive DLSR...far from it and is actually intended more for the amateur photographer due to some of it's limitations but I haven't even figured out 10% of it's capability at this point and it has blown me away. Whitetailsheds is right about being able to doctor photos on the computer and blow them up etc but if you're using a DLSR with a small telephoto there really isn't any need photo shop because you get your shot with the camera the first time. For this set up it will cost you about 1000 bucks with a case but imo opinion it's well worth it.

If you wanted to step it up to the NikonD40x (10mp) it's about another 200 bucks but don't get caught up in the mega pixel myth - check out this if you're interested:

website...http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm.

Having reviewed this, and after doing quite a bit of research and asking a lot of questions I decided on the D40 and I have been really impressed with some of the shots I have been taking right out of the box. If I had to make the decision again I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same set up.

hunter1947
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I just got back from London drugs ,the person I delt with said that they can bring in the pic to a certain existent ,and also give me printed gloss pic for 5 pennies each.

The elk pic are going on a CD so I can load them onto my PC as pictures.

Hope they can bring in these elk so I can see them properly ,if not I am going to be steamed at myself for not having a good camera with me in order to get the job done.
Lets face it how often when you are out in the bush and find 7 roosevelts bulls all together at this time of the year ,not many times.